Nintendo 3DS

Patticus

>My face when my mii had kids

>My face when there were alternating paths

>My face when there were more monsters than just ghosts

>My face when I found the yoshi and arwing hats

Nintendo, I'm so proud of you right now

• Thumbs Up 1

Nah. But to be fair I don't touch my 3DS much at all so there.

On another note I bought Cave Story 3D a few weeks ago. Pretty good remake, although the only real selling point behind it are the new graphics and one or two additional areas.

I can't even play Find Mii 2 yet, I still need to get all the hats in the original one. I found a lot of people at first but, now I'm not running into many people through StreetPass. I heard something about getting Miis through SpotPass, though.

Edited by Kringle Of Fate

That wouldn't really sell it for me personally. Although at least 3rd party is strong.

Which is something I will never truly understand. People tend to bend over and accept it when it comes to Mario for whatever reason. I know the guy is iconic and the games, at most of the time, are fun, they aren't console/handheld sellers for me.

Well, being that most of us are Sonic fans. Maybe bought an X-Box or PS3 just for the game. We all know Mario is gonna have a bunch of titles, and if true Mario fans... (lets face it, theres millions) will buy it just for Mario Kart. The Orignal DS's only great game the first year was Mario Kart DS. The system was banking off that one game for awhile and actually did very well.

...Where's Find Me 1? D8 I've never heard of this.

In the "mii plaza". After going into the mii plaza, you'll see a sword and a backpack with 2 options. Find Mii is right there.

...Where's Find Me 1? D8 I've never heard of this.

I think what we know as StreetPass Quest in Europe is known as Find Mii in America. Hence the confusion.

Ah, OK. I was starting to wonder why I don't have it.

Find Mii, isn't a very fitting name :/ I thought it was a "Where's Waldo" type game.

Doesn't help there was a 'Find Mii' game in Wii Play, which WAS like a Where's Wally-type thing. Totally confused me. D:

The update also added some features to the eShop as well (taken from a post on another forum):

The latest firmware update made a bunch of changes to the eShop, both large and small. Here are the main important ones:

-Demos! It doesn't look like NA/PAL-land has any yet, but Japan's got seven or eight of 'em - Monster Hunter, DOA, Love Plus, Puyo Puyo and others. Demos are capped to a certain amount of plays and will "expire" once you reach that limit. From the looks of things the amount of plays is set by the publisher - the MH demo has a 30-play cap, for instance, while one of the other games is capped at 5 plays. (There's only one first-party demo on there, for some weird wildlife omnibus thing, and it's capped at 10 plays.)

-Background downloads! There's now an option in the Settings section of the eShop that allows you to queue up to ten different pieces of software for simultaneous download via SpotPass; whenever your 3DS is in sleep mode and connected to the internet it'll download the software you have queued up and/or resume partially completed downloads. The LEDs on the outside of the 3DS will change to indicate new/finished downloads, I think, but I dunno what means what.

-Payment-related stuff! Not only can you save your credit card details to the eShop, but you can now add update the wallet to the exact amount required to purchase something, meaning no more adding $20 to buy an $11 game and no more stupid residual one-cent dregs in the wallet that you'll never be able to spend!

Speaking of download games, the NA Club Nintendo is allowing you to now buy games with your points. Right now there are four games available for 100-150 points: Super Mario Kart (Wii VC/SNES, 100 Coins), 3D Classics Xevious (eShop, 100 Coins), Fluidity (WiiWare, 150 Coins) and Mario vs DK: Minis March Again (DSiWare/eShop, 150 Coins). They may also be switching out the games every once in a while.

Since the site apparently got hammered from traffic, here's a cap of the main page someone got as proof.

EDIT: Okay, so now Club Nintendo is back up...but the new front page isn't. Dunno what's going on there.

Edited by Ekaje

That is not a demo. That's more like a trial that you can only play ten times. Geez, and when I thought nothing could get worse from Companies making you pay for demos.

Any update on Swapnote, or the Free GBA games that we're most likely gonna get in mid January?

That is not a demo. That's more like a trial that you can only play ten times. Geez, and when I thought nothing could get worse from Companies making you pay for demos.

A free demo that you can only play 10 or so times is WORSE than a demo you have to pay for?

How many times do you guys have to play demos to work out whether you want the game or not? o_O Sorry to say but demos are advertisements, not free one level games. They have every right to put limits on.

Background downloads is very nice, and will come in handy for sure when the free ambassador GBA games are released. Exact wallet payments is also very very good. For once Nintendo has done something better than the other online console services there.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 3

Noticed one fairly amusing thing, earlier.

Out of curiosity, I tried popping my 3DS' SD card into my Wii, and seeing if the videos I'd filmed on my 3DS could be played in the Photo Channel.

Interestingly, it turns out they can, buuuuuuuut....

The Wii doesn't understand how to process the 3D video. So, rather than just show the video in 2D, it alternates frames between each half of the 3D image, meaning the video plays whilst juddering left and right.

This MIGHT just be for the stop-motion stuff admittedly, since I've not tried it with regular video yet. Might test that out tomorrow.

EDIT: Oh, I downloaded the 3D Classics Kirby's Adventure. After getting 3D Classics Excitebike for free a few months back, I was pretty disappointed. =/ Sure, it's the same good game it's always been, but the presentation in porting it to a '3D Classic' is pretty poor. It's not been made widescreen, so it all looks super tiny like the NES Ambassador games (although at least it looks super sharp). Also, the 3D effect is really weak compared to Excitebike. It just feels like hardly any effort was put into 'upgrading' the game to 3D. =/

Edited by -Mark-

A free demo that you can only play 10 or so times is WORSE than a demo you have to pay for?

How many times do you guys have to play demos to work out whether you want the game or not? o_O Sorry to say but demos are advertisements, not free one level games. They have every right to put limits on.

So Pushmo was released on the eShop yesterday. Anyway buy it? I heard it's one of the best download titles on any of Nintendo's services.

Edited by Kringle Of Fate

Actually, yes it is. I'd rather pay for a demo that lets me have all the fun I want in it, for as long as I want, then only being able to play a one level demo 5 times before it expires, and I can't redownload it any more.

Tons of people play demos of games, but have no intention of buying them. Take Just Cause 2 or Red Faction Guerilla for example, I wanted to play the game, downloaded the demos, loved them. Rented the games, hated them. The demos were very fun to me, while the whole game on the other hand, was not.

I have no problem with them putting on time limits for demos (15 minutes, 30 minutes, etc) but I do have a problem when they tell me I can only play a demo 5 times before I'm forced to get the game, even though I only like the demo.

And, what if (hypothetically) they release a demo for say....Luigi's Mansion 2. You can only play the first level for 15 minutes, but here's the catch, you can only play the demo 3 times before you can't play it ever again. And the demo is released months before the real game, so oh well.

TLDNR: I don't like forced demos. I don't mind "Number of days remaining for demo", but I do mind "You can only play this demo 4 times, then bye-bye."

Edited by Saint Mike Dawson

I don't mind on the basis that Nintendo don't strike me as the sort of people who'd release a demo before the official release.

And publishers that do well, as said the play limit is in their hands.

I tromped all over Philadelphia for two weeks, went to malls, restaurants, tourist places, and got . . . . 1 Streetpass hit. I now have a total (not counting my brother and a coworker) of three Streetpass hits since March. I've spent over 200 Play Coins on 1st- and 2nd-level heroes and still not rescued my poor Mii - although I did finally reach the top of the tower. I hate to think how many more heroes I'll have to hire to get through the second quest.

Streetpass is a neat idea but the execution seems to fail rather miserably. Not that I expect to get a hit where I live (5000 people at last census), but when I go to the big malls with multiple game stores swarming with teens and college-age kids, you'd think I'd get something better than 1 hit per 3 months. I've now got five games that are supposedly enhanced by Streetpass, but I can't say they've been particularly enhanced, except that my coworker and I did swap Toad houses in Mario 3D. Ah well, I'll keep carrying it around in hope.