Awoo.

Nintendo 3DS

Patticus

Oh yes, yes. Wii is bad, Nintendo hates us. Heard it all before, what I'm getting is how do people get the mindset that a company should only cater to them, and when they don't 100% of the time, it should be taken as some sort of great offense. E3 2008 was balls but, that was the only year that seemed even close to insulting.

Maybe I'm just too old to give a fuck.

The Wii U is Nintendo's next big console. What was the reveal for that again? Oh yeah, it was a bunch of photo families playing golf and... I don't remember the rest. It had so little to do with actual games that I can't remember anything else.

Sure, there was that Zelda tech demo, but it didn't demonstrate any gameplay and it wasn't a reveal. Just a video. Mario Bros. Mii? It's Mario Bros. Wii but slightly prettier.

The Wii U is Nintendo's next big console. What was the reveal for that again? Oh yeah, it was a bunch of photo families playing golf and... I don't remember the rest. It had so little to do with actual games that I can't remember anything else. It had so little to do with actual games that I can't remember anything else.

You're actually serious?

You and I must have been at complete different ends of the spectrum. Third party developers up the wahey, two tech demos, distributors/developers like EA and Crytek supporting the console, and games like Darksiders 2, Assassin's Creed, Batman Arkham City, Ghost Recon, Ninja Gaiden 3 and Tekken all confirmed to get released with visible screentime and exclusive features? Even though half of those titles are ports, you can't say those aren't solid titles for Nintendo to actually have.

The conference, while underwhelming, was nothing like the stereotypical Nintendo we all know from 2006. The reveal was no different than any other first showcase a console has had. Their problem was never their own titles, but the lame focus they've had on third party support, and so far it seems rather clear from press interviews and their conference that the Wii U has that backed.

• Thumbs Up 8

You're actually serious?

You and I must have been at complete different ends of the spectrum. Third party developers up the wahey, two tech demos, distributors/developers like EA and Crytek supporting the console, and games like Darksiders 2, Assassin's Creed, Batman Arkham City, Ghost Recon, Ninja Gaiden 3 and Tekken all confirmed to get released with visible screentime and exclusive features? Even though half of those titles are ports, you can't say those aren't solid titles for Nintendo to actually have.

The conference, while underwhelming, was nothing like the stereotypical Nintendo we all know from 2006. The reveal was no different than any other first showcase a console has had. Their problem was never their own titles, but the lame focus they've had on third party support, and so far it seems rather clear from press interviews and their conference that the Wii U has that backed.

Until the PS4 and Xbox whatever come out, in which case we'll be in the same boat as we were with the Wii: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgzJ0w996Fs, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YgI2zjv6Ic. Couple that with a gimmicky controller that nobody asked for, and it looks to me like the Wii U is going to be exactly the same as the Wii, except with the benefit of being the first out of the gate and consequently not being total garbage in the third party department until the competitors show up.

• Thumbs Up 2

We don't even know how powerful the PS4 and 720 will be, so we can't say that the gap will be significant to the games.

• Thumbs Up 3

Coming from NeoGAF:

Register two out of 13 3DS titles on Club Nintendo between November 1, 2011 and January 31, 2012 to receive 3D Classics: Kid Icarus for free (you'll receive a special code from Nintendo)

These titles are:

• Resident Evil: Revelations

• Mario Kart 7

• Super Pokémon Rumble

• SUPER MARIO 3D LAND

• Tetris

• Star Fox 64 3D

• Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D

• The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

• DEAD OR ALIVE Dimensions

• Steel Diver

• nintendogs + cats

• Pilotwings Resort

• Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition

The game will be available on January 5, 2012. You'll need the new system firmware.

Club Nintendo members who older than 18, and registered at least two of those titles during that timeframe, will participate in a Nintendo 3DS contest. If you register 10 of those titles, you may participate up to 5 times (5 x 2 games).

There will be 3000 limited 3DS editions, which are only available in Europe. 1000 with Mario, 1000 with Princess Peach, and 1000 with Toad.

http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=454149

http://microsite.nin...DSreward_survey

Edited by Mark1

YAY! I got Super Mario 3D Land (well, and star fox, but I already registered that) and I'll probably get Mario Kart 7 for christmas, so Im pretty sure I'll get the game^^

Until the PS4 and Xbox whatever come out, in which case we'll be in the same boat as we were with the Wii: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgzJ0w996Fs, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YgI2zjv6Ic. Couple that with a gimmicky controller that nobody asked for, and it looks to me like the Wii U is going to be exactly the same as the Wii, except with the benefit of being the first out of the gate and consequently not being total garbage in the third party department until the competitors show up.

This is, of course, assuming that the gap between this gen and the next will be anywhere near as big as the gap between this one and the last - and this is extremely unlikely, due to the Wii's success and the PS3's spectacular fall to third place - neither Microsoft nor PS3 have been making a lot of money this gen. Especially not from their hilariously inept attempts at copying the Wii.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

This is, of course, assuming that the gap between this gen and the next will be anywhere near as big as the gap between this one and the last - and this is extremely unlikely, due to the Wii's success and the PS3's spectacular fall to third place.

Yeah, I kind of have to agree with the first half of this statement. I don't see the next generation of consoles providing a much greater graphical experience than what we've already got. Consoles games already have the ability to outperform PC games at their highest settings sometimes, and I seriously doubt we are going to see a similar leap to the change from PS2 to PS3. While the WiiU is almost guarenteed to be a lesser graphical juggernaught than the PS4 and new X-Box, the difference should be negligible.

In the end, I'll be buying a WiiU just to play some Mario, and to tide me over before the eventual release of the PS4.

Edit: Wait... I thought this was the 3DS topic? I got confused for a second.

Edited by Legendary Pine Tree

Oh yes, yes. Wii is bad, Nintendo hates us. Heard it all before, what I'm getting is how do people get the mindset that a company should only cater to them, and when they don't 100% of the time, it should be taken as some sort of great offense. E3 2008 was balls but, that was the only year that seemed even close to insulting.

Straw argument is straw.

And in regards to the 3DS, I'm not sure I understand how Nintendo's efforts with the Wii U prove anything for the 3DS.

Edited by Tornado

Free Kid Icarus 3D? Well, I'm going to have registered 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 by then, so that's good. Time to rage at Eggplant Wizards all over again.

Free Kid Icarus 3D? Sweet! Now I can get my ass kicked by underworld demons, but in 3D!

Also going back a page, the PS4 and Xbox 720 will no doubt be more powerful then the Wii-U, but not by as huge as the Wii was to the 360/PS3. We're not gonna receive a huge jump in power like we did back in 05/06. The Wii-U is probably gonna be the most impressive due to the fact the Wii was lacking horribly in power.

My point is, with the third party games that the PS and Xbox consoles will get, the Wii-U will get most of them too, and not be left out like the Wii was.

Despite that this is a 3DS thread, I'll indulge this debate and note that Sony and Microsoft have already said the leap will not be even close to as drastic as the last generation, so Nintendo has nothing to worry about.

We don't even know how powerful the PS4 and 720 will be, so we can't say that the gap will be significant to the games.

And if this is the case, I'll be very happy. I love having the best presentation possible (I hate when people try to undermine the importance of graphics. If I'm looking at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns5QNLHi5Zs, it's detrimental to the experience) in my games, but if it sacrifices the equality between systems, then leave it out. If, however, one system is the odd one out, it deserves to be ridiculed.

We don't know if the gap will be very big, but the Playstation Vita proves Sony still wants to be pushing the envelope. Seven years ago, Sony gave us the most powerful handheld device we had ever seen, with Nintendo relying on a gimmick to make up for much, much weaker components. Six years ago, Sony gave us the most powerful game console we had ever seen, with Nintendo relying on a gimmick to make up for much, much weaker components. This year, Sony is once again giving us the most powerful handheld device we had ever seen, with Nintendo relying on a gimmick to make up for much, much weaker components. We've already seen that Nintendo is relying on a gimmick yet again; now to see if the rest of the pattern continues.

Sony already said they weren't because, they got burned with the PS3. It's going to be more powerful than the PS3 but, they're not going to throw everything into it anymore.

Home console graphics won't get better until TVs that manage to display higher than 1080p become the norm, which is going to take quite some time because pushing graphical fidelity any more at this point is stupidly expensive. The graphical gap will pretty much be superficial, and that race is pretty much a dead-end for the foreseeable future.

Hell, in the handheld market, Sony aren't even trying to compete with Nintendo's consoles anymore. They consider their main competitors smartphones, and pushing a bunch of phone gimmicks that don't even pertain to gaming should be as good proof as any.

Wait, why the fuck am I humoring this. This isn't even on topic. Get back on track.

• Thumbs Up 2

Then I suppose all we can do is wait. Either way, this debate belongs in the Wii U topic anyway. I'll stop now.

Edit: Didn't see Carbo's post.

Edited by Dissident

So if you registered a game before November, it doesn't count towards Kid Icarus? Not that it matters since I'm planning to get MK7 before January, but just wondering.

Alright, I'm late with this, but.

No, I am looking at this from my own standpoint. I don't care if this is good for business, they took a song I really enjoyed and made it a blatant advertisement. I'm not concerned for Nintendo's sales, cause it's freaking Nintendo, they are going to have good sales sooner or later, especially this time of year. I know there's a business standpoint to the video and Bieber pointing at the damn 3DS, before going off saying I'm looking at something from a "stupid" standpoint, why not take into account that this is merely my opinion and respect that, huh?

Alright, yes, I did go a bit overboard, and I do respect your opinion. I liked that song too, but I'm pretty sure Nintendo only paid to get that screentime. I'm pretty sure if Nintendo funded an entire music video, there'd be 3DS advertising everywhere.

Nintendo is a business, and that is a fact. The 3DS is about to hit a big sales boost. Now, what would make that better? More advertising.

Pretty much,

Nintendo make great games (Casual & Hardcore) for the 3ds, and the 3ds is getting more popular by the day thanks to advertising.

I see no problem here. Win-Win situation for everyone.

Alright, I'm late with this, but.

Alright, yes, I did go a bit overboard, and I do respect your opinion. I liked that song too, but I'm pretty sure Nintendo only paid to get that screentime. I'm pretty sure if Nintendo funded an entire music video, there'd be 3DS advertising everywhere.

Nintendo is a business, and that is a fact. The 3DS is about to hit a big sales boost. Now, what would make that better? More advertising.

• Thumbs Up 1

I personally fail to see the hardcore games made by Nintendo themselves for the 3DS

well, StarFox 64 3D, Loz Oot 3D, Mario 3D Land, and Mario Kart 7 are a few. Also don't forget about the games coming out in a few months, Luigi's Mansion 2 and Kid Icarus Uprising for example.

First year for consoles are always slow, and barely have any "amazing games" until the beginning/middle of the 2nd year.

Edited by Saint Mike Dawson