Awoo.

Doctor Who

Patticus

I know that the Doctor has already been to Venice, but I would quite like to see him head to the city of Florence during the High Renaissance. You have Lorenzo "Il Magnifico" de Medici, head of one of the Renaissance's most famous and influential families, there's the Pazzi Conspiracy during which his brother was murdered and Lorenzo nearly met the same end, and then you have artists like the young Leonardo da Vinci, Domenico Ghirlandaio and Sandro Boticelli also in Florence at the same time.

So many legendary figures in one place at the same time. The period, the place, the people, the events all seem to me to be the ideal setting for a great adventure with the Doctor.

In regards to last night's episode, I thought it was superb; It takes a lot of skillful acting, writing and directing to bring about a tense sense of genuine impending death around a character you know instinctively will live, when such knowledge will normally remove all tension from life-threatening scenes. I was a tad confused at times like you all, but I think that the Mel reveal was very well executed, and I can't wait to see where things head next.

River lost all her regenerations.

She gave them to The Doctor.

HURHUR NNNOPE TOTALLY NOT GONNA COME INTO PLAY

There were a lot of good ideas in this episode... probably too many. It felt like someone had to squash two or three scripts' worth of ideas into one episode, and the result was a bunch of really great things (Mel and her backstory with the Ponds, the Nazis, the MIB-style shapeshifting robot suit, the ongoing Silence plot, Alex Kingston hamming it right the hell up as newly regenerated River) that didn't quite come together as a coherent story. If nothing else, this really should've been a two-parter in its own right rather than the immediate sequel to an already busy episode.

Also, I really think Mel should've been set up in advance rather than just showing up here with no explanation. It would've made River's whole backstory incredibly obvious, at least once the Melody = River thing happened last episode, but it's not like Mel's identity wasn't completely transparent to the audience the second she showed up anyway. Seriously, how much more fun would this episode have been if Mel had made her first appearance as just another one of Amy's quirky neighbours in The Eleventh Hour?

River lost all her regenerations.

She gave them to The Doctor.

HURHUR NNNOPE TOTALLY NOT GONNA COME INTO PLAY

She actually gave him regeneration energy. It healed him, not gave him any more Regenerations.

I really enjoyed the episode.

For the people thinking the title 'Let's Kill Hitler' didn't relate enough to the actual events because Hitler only had a small part, I interpret it another way. I think the title is literal and metaphorical. The Doctor has just had 'his darkest hour' apparently in A Good Man Goes to War and at the end of the episode River gives the Doctor some harsh words, saying that this is all his fault and the word 'Doctor' actually means mighty warrior to all of his enemies due to this determination to stop every one of there plans. He's relentless to them, they fear his name and an entire army has been created in order to stop him. All of his enemies previously sealed him in the Pandorica in order to save the universe from him. It puts an interesting spin on his nature, he really is a mighty warrior, the majority of races in he Universe fear his name, he's been able to make enemies retreat at the moment they learn about him (Atraxi in The Eleventh Hour and the Vashta Nerada in the Forest of the Dead for example). Hitler is also another name of fear and war, Hitler believed his actions were for the greater good, everyone else on the planet viewed his actions as evil and something that must be stopped. The Doctor also believes his actions are for the greater good but, all of his enemies fear him and want him killed. In journey's End, Davros called him "the Destroyer of Worlds" and Dorium's memorable line in A Good Man Goes to War "All this, to imprison one child? Oh, I know what you're up to, I hear everything in this place. I even hear rumours about whose child you've taken. Are you mad? You know the stories about the Doctor? The things that man has done? God help us if you make him angry!" gives another insight into his reputation.

The title can be viewed from two ways. The first being Mel's request to kill Hitler and the second being a reflection on the Doctor's reputation throughout the universe and River's attempt to kill him.

The title can be viewed from two ways. The first being Mel's request to kill Hitler and the second being a reflection on the Doctor's reputation throughout the universe and River's attempt to kill him.

Whilst I mentioned that in my thoughts on the episode.

The problem I've got is that if they had just left the title like that, then shown the episode, then yes it would have been a lot clearer as to what they were aiming for.

But what you also have to take into consideration is all the marketing around it that they did, it really did make it out like Hitler and the Nazi's would play a very singnificant role in the episode. I think my TV guide actually has written in it somewhere "Doctor Vs Hitler" or words to that effect. Even the BBC's iplayer has the line "The Doctor comes face-to-face with Hitler." thats the only plot device given with the description, combined with the title you do think theres going to be a lot of focus on this.

But what you also have to take into consideration is all the marketing around it that they did, it really did make it out like Hitler and the Nazi's would play a very singnificant role in the episode. I think my TV guide actually has written in it somewhere "Doctor Vs Hitler" or words to that effect. Even the BBC's iplayer has the line "The Doctor comes face-to-face with Hitler." thats the only plot device given with the description, combined with the title you do think theres going to be a lot of focus on this.

To be fair, naming and marketing the episode accuratelywould ruin most of the surprises. That's not to say that the Hitler thing wasn't really misleading, but I'm not sure what else I would have called it. Besides, enough huge things happen in A Good Man Goes to War that a follow-up would pretty much have to be primarily about that. It seemed pretty obvious to me that the title was a gimmick... not sure if that actually makes things any better, but at least I wasn't disappointed.

Part of me is kind of glad that the episode didn't turn out to be all about the do-we-or-don't-we-kill-Hitler moral dilemma, actually, because I've had more than I can stomach recently of the Doctor making frowny faces while he babbles about fixed points in time. I dunno; maybe River being around would've thrown a wrench into even a more standard historical episode.

Oh.My.GOD

In The Impossible Astronaut the Doctor invites everyone to Utah at 16:30 MDT.

In Let’s Kill Hitler the Doctor’s death record says he died in Utah at 17:02 MDT.

Exactly 32 minutes.

“You’ll be fine for 31 minutes. You’ll be dead in 32 minutes.”

Edited by PSI Fire
  • Thumbs Up 3

I FINALLY got around to seeing this episode. I really enjoyed it. My thoughts:

Regarding the episode name, I actually found it very fitting and representative of the feel of the episode. It reflected the extremely flippant and carefree-to-the-point-of-hazard attitude not only of the character uttering that line but also of the Doctor himself - and the dicing with death it entails. Somehow the huge-ness of the idea of killing Hitler becomes dwarfed by the actual events that occur, which is what it's all about. The Doctor's story ends up being even bigger than the haphazardly attempted murder of the most hated man in history.

As for the story itself, it had a good mixture of wit, humour and painful intensity. The inevitable outcome was, yes, inevitable... but played out nicely.

My only two complaints would be these:

1: Introducing Mel, even as a cameo, earlier in the season would have made the whole thing more believable and

2: No matter what anyone says about Tardis Babelfish Rays or whatever, it irks me when people from countries with a non-English main language speak English. It just... doesn't sit right. Given how little the cast even interacted with the German characters (including Hitler), I would have much preferred subtitles. Ah well.

Best moment: Rory locking Hitler in the cupboard. His (Rory) bewildered acceptance of the surreality of the situation was hilarious.

I must say I thoroughly enjoyed tonights episode 'Night Terrors'.

Also it featured one of the funniest (and most obscure) Doctor Who references ever!:

Snow White and the Seven Keys to Doomsday.

For those who don't know, the Seven Keys to Doomsday is a Doctor Who stage play from the 70s which featured an alternative version of the Fourth Doctor. A few years ago it was adapted into audio drama, again featuring the alternative 4th Doctor played by Trevor Martin.

I actually can think of

I must say I thoroughly enjoyed tonights episode 'Night Terrors'.

Also it featured one of the funniest (and most obscure) Doctor Who references ever!:

Snow White and the Seven Keys to Doomsday.

For those who don't know, the Seven Keys to Doomsday is a Doctor Who stage play from the 70s which featured an alternative version of the Fourth Doctor. A few years ago it was adapted into audio drama, again featuring the alternative 4th Doctor played by Trevor Martin.

I really liked this week's.

It was a huge relief to get back to continuity-light monster-of-the-week fare after two episodes of Important Things happening, and Night Terrors was a pretty good example of that kind of episode. A little predictable and not actually all that scary, per se, but certainly atmospheric and quirky. There were plenty of good lines and gags in this episode; I particularly loved those giant pink scissors. It's just a pity that the whole thing ended on a bit of an anticlimax... kind of the opposite of Curse of the Black Spot, I guess.

The premise of the characters walking around in a giant dollhouse where everything's made out of wood was probably my favourite thing about the episode. It reminded my friend and I of something we'd both read as children, but we couldn't recall exactly what. We were thinking a Beatrix Potter story...?

I enjoyed Night Terrors this week although the dolls were kind of creepy but there were bits in it that made me laugh. My younger brother watched it with me and when the old lady got pulled into the bin bags, he immediately shouted (for fun) 'AHH, BIN MONSTER!'.

Very enjoyable episode this week. Although I have to admit, it was pretty creepy as well, especially the part with the dolls. The parts with the old lady getting pulled into the trash bags and the guy getting sucked into the carpet was freaky as well.

Does anybody else think that it was really lovely seeing the Doctor helping to whip up breakfast at the end of the last episode? I hope we see more of that sort of thing next series, whenever that may be; the Doctor getting stuck in with chores and such.

Also, I rather hope that River's storyline doesn't fully end at the closing of this series, but rather it starts to slow down following this series' climactic finalé, with less frequent appearances by her, but we get to see their romance develop over the next couple of series', each time with the Doctor falling ever more in love, eventually coming to the point where he is seeking her out rather than she him. And then she vanishes off the radar, and we all know what's happened. I don't like that they seem to be cramming a lot more of her plot into this series, this plot shouldn't be rushed.

As usual, I'm running a bit late and only just managed to get around to watching this episode. It was fun and not bad for a filler episode, despite the plot being not hugely original.

At the photo album scene, I was immediately reminded of the premise of Dawn's integration into Buffy the Vampire Slayer's family as the child who had supposedly always been there, and I'm certain I've seen the trapped in a doll house scenario a few times elsewhere. Even the theme of creepy old-fashioned dolls has cropped up numerous times in Doctor Who itself.

I loved Torchwood last night. One of the best episodes of the season. I can't wait to see how the events unfold in the next episode. biggrin.png

The Girl Who Waited, the next DW episode, is looking great aswell. biggrin.png

Ok so I've just watched 'The Girl Who Waited'

I think I have a new favourite episode. You more or less knew how it would end, but the way it ended, just... whoa... I think I need a coffee before I write more thoughts on it.

• Thumbs Up 1

What an excellent episode. Apart from Let's Kill Hitler, which I really enjoyed but didn't think was amazing, the past few episodes have been great.

There were a couple of times when I thought the art style and one or two other aspects of the episode were very "Portal-esque". The Interface seemed to be a benevolent GLADoS type. That and Amy hiding "behind the scenes" where they couldn't find her.

But yes, definitely a very good one. Next week's looks promising too.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really enjoyed tonight's Who. It broke my heart though. :'(

On a slightly related note: Torchwood: Miracle Day finale aired last night. Those who downloaded the episode got this at the end...

tumblr_lrb82g8Gnr1qi8w0u.jpg

Does this mean what I think it means? :o

I really enjoyed tonight's Who. It broke my heart though. :'(

On a slightly related note: Torchwood: Miracle Day finale aired last night. Those who downloaded the episode got this at the end...

tumblr_lrb82g8Gnr1qi8w0u.jpg

Does this mean what I think it means? ohmy.png

I don't think i'm watching the finale yet, i'd rather watch it on BBC next week. Was it good?

Edited by Neon

I don't think i'm watching the finale yet, i'd rather watch it on BBC next week. Was it good?

Meh. It was alright. Nothing spectacular but there was some golden moments. I'd rate it about a 7 or 8.