Awoo.

Official Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Websites

Indigo Rush

That's the biggest piece of **** I've ever heard. The modern Sonic games are as much canon as the classic games. Honestly, I see Sonic the Hedgehog 4 as PROOF of this, trying to bridge the gap between the classic and the modern-day titles.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm tired of this. It's a load of shit. At no point have they even so much as begun to imply that that's the case, and it'd be insane to screw all the modern fans like that; whether you like it or not, they're too big a part of the fanbase for Sega to risk losing them. It'd be suicide.

Also Eggman's new design is awesome.

they certainly will not and i don't hate modern sonic games in fact i like some of them like SA,SA2,SU(day parts) but i consider them as spin-offs(and belive me im 14 but i like the classics more) the main fact that irritates me is that majority of the fans that are modern sonic fans don't care about sonic's origin they just want to go 300 MPH and go all woooooooot and be werehogs and whatever craps

That's the biggest piece of **** I've ever heard. The modern Sonic games are as much canon as the classic games. Honestly, I see Sonic the Hedgehog 4 as PROOF of this, trying to bridge the gap between the classic and the modern-day titles.

that is what i dont want cuz if they try to make sonic 4 as somekind of prequel to SA then we wont have a possibility of sonic 5 besides i dont want the genesis sonic games epic stories(without cutscenes but you still can hint at the story by the levels) to be associated with chaos,dark gaia and whatever craps therefore i consider them spin-offs and no i dont hate them but i dont like them that much either though i really liked SA and SA2 but still you just cant mess with the classics

• Bad Quality Post 3

I always saw Sonic Pocket Adventure as the game "between" the classic and modern games in the timeline, simply because Eggman wears both his costumes in that game- His classic outfit throughout, before changing into his sleek new jacket for the final stage.

Then again, is something so trivial as changing clothes really an issue? It's far less of a change than even Sonic's eye color. Who's to say Eggman can't change back and forth between his two outfits? He still looks the same, albeit (like Sonic) taller in his modern design.

I admit I do sort of miss the clown suit with the cute little cape, but eh, it's not a deal-breaker for me.

Edited by Dr. Mechano
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dude, DAMN, I know you're new here so I'll be nice. People don't take kindly to those who state their OPINION as FACT.

SA1, 2, Heroes, Shadow, '06, Unleashed and 4 are just as canon as Sonic 1-3&K. This is fact, not opinion. You seem to personally relegate the "bad" games as being spin-offs so that you can personally write them off.

However, according to Sega, Sonic Team and just about every member of the community you're wrong.

I love Sonic Spinball, and personally treat it as canon but I know for a fact that it is not.

• Thumbs Up 3

they certainly will not and i don't hate modern sonic games in fact i like some of them like SA,SA2,SU(day parts) but i consider them as spin-offs

So your logic is that every Sonic game the past 16 years has been a spin-off and that Sega finally decided 'Hey, we should continue the main series after more than a decade! People will like that!'. ..No. That really doesn't make any sense.

the main fact that irritates me is that majority of the fans that are modern sonic fans don't care about sonic's origin they just want to go 300 MPH and go all woooooooot and be werehogs and whatever craps

Funny, because I find that most 'modern' fans are willing to accept and like both sets of games whereas the 'classic' fans are so unbelievably stubborn that they will accept little to nothing released after 1994. See, I can generalize too. :3

if they try to make sonic 4 as somekind of prequel to SA then we wont have a possibility of sonic 5

They aren't trying to make Sonic 4 a prequel to Sonic Adventure. They're trying to make Sonic 4 exactly what it is. Sonic 4, the sequel to Sonic 3 and Knuckles. If they really wanted to, they could easily make a Sonic 5 (even though that'd be kind of lame). You're seeming to forget that Sonic Adventure pretty much begins with Sonic saying that he hasn't seen Tails in a while, which leaves a practically infinite amount of room to put as many games between Sonic 4 and Sonic Adventure as they want to.

i dont want the genesis sonic games epic stories [...] to be associated with chaos,dark gaia and whatever craps therefore i consider them spin-offs

So because you don't like the things introduced in the modern games you're going to shut yourself out from reality and keep pretending that they're spin-offs? Denying that they have any real relation to the classic series? That's complete nonsense.

• Thumbs Up 5

they certainly will not and i don't hate modern sonic games in fact i like some of them like SA,SA2,SU(day parts) but i consider them as spin-offs(and belive me im 14 but i like the classics more) the main fact that irritates me is that majority of the fans that are modern sonic fans don't care about sonic's origin they just want to go 300 MPH and go all woooooooot and be werehogs and whatever craps

And the majority of classic fans don't care about logical evolution and would rather play ports and crappy hacks for the rest of their lives as it's obviously the only way their inanely specific desires and need to relive their nostalgic fantasies will ever be satisfied.

See how easy yet utterly horrible and annoying stereotyping is? Don't do it.

that is what i dont want cuz if they try to make sonic 4 as somekind of prequel to SA then we wont have a possibility of sonic 5 besides i dont want the genesis sonic games epic stories(without cutscenes but you still can hint at the story by the levels) to be associated with chaos,dark gaia and whatever craps therefore i consider them spin-offs and no i dont hate them but i dont like them that much either though i really liked SA and SA2 but still you just cant mess with the classics

There is absolutely no reason why you can't place Sonic 4, 5, 6, 7, and 374 before Adventure because the timeline usually lacks to inform one of the lapsed time between games, so thus nearly anything can fit between 3&K and Adventure by default.

Also, to deny something as canon simply because you don't like it is disillusioned. Canon relies on the coherence of each installment to one another and creator input, not something as subjective and ultimately silly as "I don't like the Werehog so the whole game doesn't count." xP

• Thumbs Up 1

Ever consider the thought that the world might not be a better place if things happened your way?

On a much less important, yet similar note, the direction that the Sonic series decides to take is not up to you, me, or any other enthusiast of the Sonic games. Don't like any game beyond 1998? That's too bad, but other people do, at least enough to sell millions of copies.

And so what if people don't care about Sonic's origin? As long as the games are fun, Sonic will still be around, and we will still have the hedgehog we know and love. Besides, we get a new compilation release every 2 years anyway. And I think it's big of anyone to talk down to SEGA and any other veteran developer with insults and claims of incompetence when all they're trying to do is appeal to a broad audience while trying to keep the so-called "classic fans" happy. Beggers can't be choosers, folks, and you're better off not biting the hand that's feeding you.

These ridiculous comparisons I've seen regarding Sonic 4 being a polished turd is absolutely ridiculous, and those who make such claims are only making a bad reputation of themselves and the fanbase as a whole, which I've been considering to leave for quite some time after seeing so much immature whining. There's a reason I stopped posting at Retro and CulT and stuck with SSMB, and even then there are people on here who aren't getting it.

*sigh*

Blue streak... speeds by... Sonic the Hedgehog... You guys ruin everything. ;_;

• Thumbs Up 6

I always saw Sonic Pocket Adventure as the game "between" the classic and modern games in the timeline, simply because Eggman wears both his costumes in that game- His classic outfit throughout, before changing into his sleek new jacket for the final stage.

That little continuity nod in Pocket Adventure was cute, but I count the game as only dubiously canon (since we're on the subject), even by the series' loose standards. So much was recycled, it's just hard to consider it anything but an odd, harmless quasi-port. I've got no problem forgetting that it happened to make room for Sonic 4.

The change in wardrobe certainly isn't something that needs much of an explanation, though. Given Eggman's flair for the theatrical, I'm quite surprised that his outfits have even been this consistent.

Blue streak... speeds by... Sonic the Hedgehog... You guys ruin everything. ;_;

Too fast,

for the naked eye.

Sonic the Hedgehog!

Sonic!!

He can really move!

Sonic!!

He's got an attitude!

Sonic!!

He's the fastest thing alive!

Look out,

when he storms through!

Sonic the Hedgehog!

Don't doubt,

what he can do!

Sonic the Hedgehog!

Sonic!!

He can really move!

Sonic!!

He's got an attitude!!

Sonic!

He is the FASTEST THING ALIVE!!

You can't leave that song hanging, dude.

• Thumbs Up 2

Dude, DAMN, I know you're new here so I'll be nice. People don't take kindly to those who state their OPINION as FACT.

SA1, 2, Heroes, Shadow, '06, Unleashed and 4 are just as canon as Sonic 1-3&K. This is fact, not opinion. You seem to personally relegate the "bad" games as being spin-offs so that you can personally write them off.

However, according to Sega, Sonic Team and just about every member of the community you're wrong.

I love Sonic Spinball, and personally treat it as canon but I know for a fact that it is not.

uuuuuuuh how are SA and SA2 in anyway bad they're the only decent 3D titles but i said i consider the as spinoffs cuz they're story is boring in comparison to the classics

• Bad Quality Post 5

*facepalm so hard I get brain damage*

No, you implied that games after Sonic 3 & Knuckles were bad and thus were relegated to "spin-off" in your opinion. What I typed is an assessment of what YOU wrote, not MY own opinion. Yeesh...

And hold up. SA1 and SA2 have a boring story compared to Sonic 1-3&K? Whaaaaaaaaaat?

fugginstoopidnewmemberz says what?

Edited by Doctor Eggman
  • Thumbs Up 2

So your logic is that every Sonic game the past 16 years has been a spin-off and that Sega finally decided 'Hey, we should continue the main series after more than a decade! People will like that!'. ..No. That really doesn't make any sense.

Funny, because I find that most 'modern' fans are willing to accept and like both sets of games whereas the 'classic' fans are so unbelievably stubborn that they will accept little to nothing released after 1994. See, I can generalize too. :3

They aren't trying to make Sonic 4 a prequel to Sonic Adventure. They're trying to make Sonic 4 exactly what it is. Sonic 4, the sequel to Sonic 3 and Knuckles. If they really wanted to, they could easily make a Sonic 5 (even though that'd be kind of lame). You're seeming to forget that Sonic Adventure pretty much begins with Sonic saying that he hasn't seen Tails in a while, which leaves a practically infinite amount of room to put as many games between Sonic 4 and Sonic Adventure as they want to.

So because you don't like the things introduced in the modern games you're going to shut yourself out from reality and keep pretending that they're spin-offs? Denying that they have any real relation to the classic series? That's complete nonsense.

in my opinion their spinoffs im not stating it as a fact anymore but really every fan who first played the classics then played sonic adventure when they saw the story so much changed and all different they thought what the crap and about the modern sonic fans i said modern fans not general fans that like sonic transforming into a werehog but dont give the classics a chance and believe me im 14 and i love the classics

• Bad Quality Post 2

To end this argument:

Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic the Hedgehog CD

Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (& Knuckles)

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Sonic World Adventure (only Sonic, Tails, Eggman and Amy, eh?)

Sonic Adventure

Sonic Adventure 2

Sonic Heeroz

Shadow the Hedgehog

Sonic Nextgen (HOLY CRAP UNIVERSAL PARADOX THANKS TO SOLARIS)

series end

See? That wasn't so hard. :P

Edited by Azukara
  • Thumbs Up 1

To end this argument:

Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic the Hedgehog CD

Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (& Knuckles)

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Sonic World Adventure (only Sonic, Tails, Eggman and Amy, eh?)

Sonic Adventure

Sonic Adventure 2

Sonic Heeroz

Shadow the Hedgehog

Sonic Nextgen HOLY CRAP UNIVERSAL PARADOX THANKS TO SOLARIS)

series end

See? That wasn't so hard. :P

NO NO NO!

robotnik_106-198-r12.jpg

You only open a whole new series of arguments by sticking Sonic Unleashed between Sonic 4 and Sonic Adventure!!!

in my opinion their spinoffs im not stating it as a fact anymore but really every fan who first played the classics then played sonic adventure when they saw the story so much changed and all different they thought what the crap and about the modern sonic fans i said modern fans not general fans that like sonic transforming into a werehog but dont give the classics a chance and believe me im 14 and i love the classics

And DAMN, I found your punctuation:

, . , . . , .

As for your "sense", you're on your own in finding that.

Edited by Doctor Eggman
  • Thumbs Up 2

uuuuuuuh how are SA and SA2 in anyway bad they're the only decent 3D titles but i said i consider the as spinoffs cuz they're story is boring in comparison to the classics
This is nonsensical.

Besides, Sonic 1's story is more boring than that of the Adventures. Is Sonic 1 a spinoff?

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow so your classing games the rest of the main series after S3&K as a spin off wow fucking hell, i'll give you a list of Main & Spin off games look like so you can get a better understanding of what main and spin off series looks like IN A LIST FORM WOO lol XD (cba with handheld lol)

wow this gonna take ages

Main Series:

Sonic 1

Sonic CD

Sonic 2

Sonic 3

Sonic & Knuckles

Sonic 4

Sonic Adventure

Sonic Adventure 2

Sonic Adventure 2:Battle

Sonic Adventure DX

Sonic Heroes

Shadow The Hedgehog

Sonic 2006

Sonic Unleashed

Spin Off Series:

Sonic Eraser

Sonic Spinball

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine

Sonic Drift

Sonic Drift 2

Knuckles' Chaotix

Tails' Skypatrol

Tails Adventure

Sonic Labyrinth

Sonic 3D

Sonic R

Sonic Shuffle

Sonic Battle

Sonic Riders

Sonic and the Secret Rings

Sonic and the Black Knight

Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity

(doubt this helped probs made it worse)

Edited by Crash

Fans hardly choose what is and isn't canon, except in cases where the lines are blurred. I don't like Die Hard 4, but it still stars Bruce Willis and is called Die Hard. That makes it the fourth Die Hard movie whether I like it or not. Any major Sonic Team production is series canon. Spinball and Chaotix less so.

That's not to say Rivals really is all that bad, either. I've never played them so I can't even comment. And on another note, didn't you love Rivals 2...? At least...?

Oh it's no secret that I love both of the Rivals games, hence the reason I made that post in their defense.

Also, I'd like to dispute the storybook games, and Shuffle's status as "canon". There's absolutely NOTHING that states that they couldn't have happened in between the 3D entries. In fact, the same goes for the Advances, and Battle. In fact, you could lump all of the game gear games in there too.

Of course, I think trying to find a coherent storyline in this series is a fruiteless task anyway. Why can't it be like Spongebob or Family guy where every episode is self contained or something. We'd probably be better off that way.

Edited by Aquaslash

For me, placing Sonic 4 right after Sonic and Knuckles does seem a little bit like they're writing off Sonic Adventure and everything since because, well, it takes place straight after the last (kind of) numbered title and carries on as if the past decade or so never happened. That's not to say that Sonic Adventure 1, 2, Heroes, Shadow, 06 and Unleashed aren't canon, hell Adventure 1 and 2 were even really good games, it just means that don't neccesarilly have any impact on Sonic 4.

As for the S&K debate, I always assumed the stories happened at the same time, until the Sky Sanctuary, I always figured Sonic's story was to be followed then Knuckles' story kicked in straight after, skipping straight to the Sky Sanctuary showing Knuckles fighting the damaged Metal Sonic for the Master Emerald and escaping the falling zone. I think the best version of the story is the Fleetway one by Nigel Kitching and Richard Elson though.

Anyway, enough debating canon. I'm really looking forward to this game and I really hope to see Metal Sonic return, maybe Tails and Knuckles will make an appearance too.

Here's what I believe is the timeline of the Sonic series, in order of first to last with these, unless stated to take place potentially anywhere.

Main Sonic Timeline

Sonic the Hedgehog (1991)

Sonic CD

Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Sonic the Hedgehog 3

Sonic & Knuckles

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Sonic Adventure

Sonic Adventure 2

Sonic Heroes

Shadow the Hedgehog

Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)

Sonic Unleashed

Games that are optional to the Main Timeline

Sonic Spinball (could take place anywhere after Sonic 2 really, but optional)

Knuckles Chaotix (can take place anywhere before Sonic Heroes and after Sonic CD, but assumingly around the time of Sonic 2)

Sonic R (anywhere after Sonic 4 I guess but before Sonic Adventure)

Sonic Rivals (need to take place after Next-Gen)

Sonic Rivals 2 (need to take place after Next-Gen)

Sonic & the Secret Rings (could take place anywhere in the main timeline but assumingly after Next-Gen)

Sonic & the Black Knight (could take place anywhere in the main timeline but assumingly after Next-Gen)

Alternative Universe: GameGear

Tails Adventure (comes first, canonically)

Sonic 1 GameGear

Sonic 2 GameGear

Sonic Chaos

Sonic Triple Trouble

Sonic Blast

(Sonic Labyrinth is potential to the story but placement unsure)

Alternative Universe: Dimps

Sonic Neo Pocket Adventure (I firmly believe this is an alternate timeline, and Sonic Neo Pocket Adventure is Dimps alternative to the Classic Games storyline. And yes, Sonic Neo Pocket Adventure was made by Dimps)

Sonic Advance

Sonic Pinball Party (Eggman recreated their last endeavor into giant pinball machines, alternative telling of Sonic Spinball-shot-)

Sonic Advance 2

Sonic Battle

Sonic Advance 3

Sonic Rush

Sonic Rush Adventure

Alternative Universe: Riders

Sonic Riders

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity

All other games I believe have nothing to do with the continuity or there own continuity.

Anyways, I am pretty sure besides maybe a few details that is the main canon to the series, so on with your ways peoples.

For me, placing Sonic 4 right after Sonic and Knuckles does seem a little bit like they're writing off Sonic Adventure and everything since because, well, it takes place straight after the last (kind of) numbered title and carries on as if the past decade or so never happened. That's not to say that Sonic Adventure 1, 2, Heroes, Shadow, 06 and Unleashed aren't canon, hell Adventure 1 and 2 were even really good games, it just means that don't neccesarilly have any impact on Sonic 4.

Well yes, all games after Sonic 3 & Knuckles don't have an effect on this game (story-wise at least). However, I doubt they're going to write off Sonic Adventure-Unleashed for good.

Is it bad that I don't feel the need to post my own list of what I consider to be the canon countinuity?

Guess I stopped caring, especially after the confusion 06/Rivals caused.

Knuckles Chaotix (can take place anywhere before Sonic Heroes and after Sonic CD, but assumingly around the time of Sonic 2)
The Japanese manual places it after S3&K:

That's if it's canon at all, of course; I'm of the opinion that Heroes overwrote it.

Sonic Advance 2
...introduces Cream, who is treated as an established character in Heroes. If SAdv2 is in some separate "Dimpsverse", where did she come from?

And if SAdv2 is canon, I'd say the rest of the Advances are as well, being of the same subseries. Battle also sneaks in with the Emerl-Gemerl connection.

Sonic Rush

Sonic Rush Adventure

I don't see any reason to separate these from the main series. '06 created the whole Blaze-in-the-future issue, but everything since then has stuck very clearly to her Rush origins. And I don't believe she's so insignificant a character that she can simply be ignored...you yourself put SatBK in the "optional" category, and if it is counted, it would require the Rushes to establish Blaze.

Alternative Universe: Riders
Again, I really don't see any reason to put these in an alternate universe. The technology level is higher than average, but it's been shown to vary pretty wildly across Sonic's Earth, so that's no real problem.