Awoo.

Official Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Websites

Indigo Rush

It's such a shame I must be mr. downer, because I am hardly impressed. The music is meh, and the level asthetics are looking worse and worse the more I see it, with the exception of the waterfalls, which are probably the only good-looking thing I've actually see of this game so far. Everything else in the level looks like a glossed-up turd.

Edited by Masaru Daimon
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Bad Quality Post 7

It's such a shame I must be mr. downer, because I am hardly impressed. The music is meh, and the level asthetics are looking worse and worse the more I see it, with the exception of the waterfalls, which are probably the only good-looking thing I've actually see of this game so far. Everything else in the level looks like a glossed-up turd.

Wow, you really are a downer. What happened to youthful enthusiasm? For a 19 year old, you sound like a crotchety old man. Can't you feel the sunshine?

Edited by Doctor Eggman
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Wow, you really are a downer. What happened to youthful enthusiasm? For a 19 year old, you sound like a crotchety old man. Can't you feel the sunshine?

I'll save my youthful enthusiasm for something that actually doesn't pale in comparison to the classics in asthetic quality, aka, a level that doesn't look lifeless and fake. And something without fail parallax, for that matter.

Edited by Masaru Daimon
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Sorry, but I just have to laugh when somebody who was a 1 year old when Sonic 1 released says they have a firm understanding of the classics vs. modern day games.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Bad Quality Post 4

I wasn't even born when Super Mario Bros. came out, does that make me incapable of having a firm understanding the differences between classic and modern Mario games, despite being a Mario fan? Or maybe Mega Man or Castlevania, perhaps? I'm an adult, for pete's sake.

Also, who the hell is neg-repping me to hell and back just because I happen to have a negative (but perfectly valid) opinion of this game? You know who you are.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

Sorry, but I just have to laugh when somebody who was a 1 year old when Sonic 1 released says they have a firm understanding of the classics vs. modern day games.

You don't have to have grown up on Sonic classic games to understand and appreciate the timeline of classic - modern. I'm a solid classics fan myself, but my first ever Sonic game was Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, which I played when I was 18. I came in late, but that doesn't mean I understand the classics any less. Really, that kind of attitude just seems horribly elitist.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not saying younger gamers are bad, I'm just saying that there is a difference between knowledge and wisdom.

For example, I know that Super Mario Bros. (1986) was a revolutionary game, but I reached that understanding via the thoughts of those who played it at the time, not through my own experience of playing it at the time of release. I was 2 years old in 1986, so I can't claim to have a better understanding of mid-80's platforming compared to a gamer in their 30's.

It's not elitism, it's a matter of experience versus hearsay.

Anyway, I understand that this isn't the topic for this discussion, so I'll back off. Back to complaining about the Japanese Sonic 4 site. Where's the updates?!

Edited by Doctor Eggman
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I'm not saying younger gamers are bad, I'm just saying that there is a difference between knowledge and wisdom.

For example, I know that Super Mario Bros. (1986) was a revolutionary game, but I reached that understanding via the thoughts of those who played it at the time, not through my own experience of playing it at the time of release. I was 2 years old in 1986, so I can't claim to have a better understanding of mid-80's platforming compared to a gamer in their 30's.

It's not elitism, it's a matter of experience versus hearsay.

Anyway, I understand that this isn't the topic for this discussion, so I'll back off. Back to complaining about the Japanese Sonic 4 site. Where's the updates?!

Japan hates Sonic 4. :(

Well, I do see where you're coming from, Doc, though I don't quite agree.

Japan hates Sonic 4. :(

It's more like Americans and the British Love Sonic WAY more than the Japanese do. Actually, Sonic isn't very popular in Japan at all, it seems

Makes you wonder why they haven't given a main game to western developer yet. Then again, the track record for western devs working on a Japanese series that isn't Metroid is rather spotty in general, considering both Rivals games were crap, Chronicles was rather divisive (though I liked it), and the guys making Castlevania: Lords of Shadow have seem to have thrown out nearly all the good bits of the series and made it yet another generic God of War clone, I think I'd prefer they give it to someone who definately won't screw it up.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

Yeah, didn't mean to direct all that at you. It was more of an overarching comment on fan communities, gaming or otherwise.

Anyway, remember when Japanese sites where the hot spot for gaming infos? Seriously, the JP Sonic 4 site is a joke.

Yeah, didn't mean to direct all that at you. It was more of an overarching comment on fan communities, gaming or otherwise.

Anyway, remember when Japanese sites where the hot spot for gaming infos? Seriously, the JP Sonic 4 site is a joke.

At least it gave us the full theme song.

=/

• Thumbs Up 1

Am I really the only one who is satisfied with this? I am never really the one to be picky about something, I mean, the game looks fine to me and I like the music, It is happy and upbeat. I am really satisfied with how the game is turning out, it looks fun. I will take any game and enjoy it, since I never really have expectations for any game, which makes me feel like I have nothing to worry about. Though, there is a few games I dislike, but those were games made by companies that are not big and don't make many games. Heck, I was satisfied with Sonic 2006, it wasn't all that bad for me.

Now with the debate going on right now, just let young and old have their own opinion. I mean, I enjoy both classic and modern. I was born in 1993 and started playing games around 1996 or 1997. That's when I was playing both 2D and 3D games for the very first time at the same time. My first 3D game being Spyro and my first 2D game being Mario. It was a good time to start playing games, as it was the best of both worlds and I didn't have a biased opinion. But like I said, age does not matter, like my nephew who was born in the early 2000's and he loves classic games as well, so that proves that age doesn't matter.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Continuity alert! As if there were not already a fair share, the Eggman profile is up, and he has his post-1998 appearance rather than the classic that should be implemented for a sequel to Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Maybe it can be made to work, but is Sega trying to throw things off?

Continuity alert! As if there were not already a fair share, the Eggman profile is up, and he has his post-1998 appearance rather than the classic that should be implemented for a sequel to Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Maybe it can be made to work, but is Sega trying to throw things off?

The thing with the post-1998 design is that it isn't a sign of a canon change, but a retcon altogether. According to SEGA, Sonic always had green eyes, Eggman always had that militaristic outfit, and Amy always had the bulbous bouffant.

I think it's a change for the better, honestly. I love classic Sonic, but for the sake of franchise continuity and to prevent something similar to the overseas storyline confusion that took place prior to Sonic Adventure, I think they should keep it to one universal design, and what better design than the one that's been used longer than the old one? It's not like it's bad or anything.

I'd be surprised if Sega actually thinks that they could retcon Eggman's design in the classic games. They'd never be able to do such a thing, unless they actually redrew the sprites and rereleased Sonic 1-3 a la "Star Wars Special Edition"

Best reason for Eggman's change of attire: After the Death Egg was destroyed, his old clothing burned off and he had to change into his formal wear.

I'd rather it be that Sonic grew up (longer spines), always had green eyes and Eggman got a new outfit, and this game takes place during that change(or perhaps Pocket Adventure which features both outfits), possibly months after S3&K.

I just find it silly and quite lazy that they just went the retcon route to solve all their problems instead of giving a decent explanation. Green eyes I can understand, and to some extent Amy, but it's not hard to just say Eggman got a new suit.

Best reason for Eggman's change of attire: After the Death Egg was destroyed, his old clothing burned off and he had to change into his formal wear.

You mean it DIDN'T burn off every other time his machine went up in flames, let alone wore the exact same suit for 4 years?

Edited by Black Spy

considering both Rivals games were crap,

What you say?

If both games were "crap" the blame can be squarely placed on Takashi Iizuka, (AKA, the guy heading up this game) for turning them from straight platforming games into racers.

I'd rather it be that Sonic grew up (longer spines), always had green eyes and Eggman got a new outfit, and this game takes place during that change(or perhaps Pocket Adventure which features both outfits), possibly months after S3&K.

I just find it silly and quite lazy that they just went the retcon route to solve all their problems instead of giving a decent explanation. Green eyes I can understand, and to some extent Amy, but it's not hard to just say Eggman got a new suit.

You mean it DIDN'T burn off every other time his machine went up in flames, let alone wore the exact same suit for 4 years?

The games pretty much support this, so I see this as canon. After Sonic 3 & Knuckles, the only times we saw Classic Eggman was in spin-off games such as Sonic R. Within the main series (as defined by Sonic Team, Sonic Retro, Sonic News Network and Wikipedia) Eggman's last classic appearance was Sonic 3 & Knuckles and his modern appearance debuted in the following game, Sonic Adventure. So Sonic 4 depicting modern Eggman isn't a problem at all.

I find it silly that anyone actually gives a shit about continuity in reference to character designs.

I'll gladly defend that the series in general has continuity (albeit not rock-solid), but there was never any story to this. No attempt was made to explain why the characters look different. No one even pointed out that anyone looked different.

And honestly, if you really are dead-set on trying to work the redesign into continuity, all this game does is make it come earlier, between S3&K and S4 instead of between S3&K and SA.

• Thumbs Up 1

okay for all of you "continuity psychos" and all of you there i'll explain

the thing is

Sonic 1,2,3,S&K(original(classic)story)

All new sonic games=Spinoff(that arent meant to be taken as a part of the original story)

all sonic games past sonic 3 & knuckles arent valid im tired of this

in other words sonic 4 is a part of the orignal story but damn SEGA they had to use the new modern designs and Modern Eggman/Robotnik sucks in comparison to the classic one and is a lot different and hase those stupid looking googles

THE END                                                        

• Bad Quality Post 10

What you say?

If both games were "crap" the blame can be squarely placed on Takashi Iizuka, (AKA, the guy heading up this game) for turning them from straight platforming games into racers.

It is true that Iizuka directed the Rivals, Shadow, and JoD. But he also directed Sonic 3 & Knuckles, NiGHTS, and SA2.

There's also a difference between the Rivals and this, despite the fact that they're all being directed by Iizuka. Dimps is the main team doing this game, while Backbone did Rivals.

That's not to say Rivals really is all that bad, either. I've never played them so I can't even comment. And on another note, didn't you love Rivals 2...? At least...?

Regardless, I hate it how people go and make a list of "crap" games, when its all in the eye of the beholder. There's only about... oh... TWO games in the series so universally hated that they can be added to such a list. And one of the two even has its fans (Shadow the Hedgehog...). I've never played '06, so once again, I can't comment on it, but it is essentially universally hated.

Funny thing is that Shadow was done by Sonic Team USA, while '06 was done by Sonic Team Japan. Ironic, much? And Iizuka only directed one of the two.

all sonic games past sonic 3 & knuckles arent valid im tired of this
I'm tired of this. It's a load of shit. At no point have they even so much as begun to imply that that's the case, and it'd be insane to screw all the modern fans like that; whether you like it or not, they're too big a part of the fanbase for Sega to risk losing them. It'd be suicide.

Also Eggman's new design is awesome.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't see how it's so hard to wrap your head around the idea that Eggman just changed his clothes one day anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2