Awoo.

Sonic 4's Soundtrack(s)

eXtaticus

In a franchise with consistently strong soundtracks dating back to Sonic 1, that's a really bad sign. Every Sonic game has had a soundtrack where at least one track, if not most or all of them, have been catchy and memorable. To break that tradition now would be incredibly disappointing. :/

Don't sweat it dude, this is only one of several level themes in the game, each of which will have at least 3 remixes of it. It just might be this version of the theme that's lackluster since the remixes can be very different. For example: I much prefer the Act 2 themes in S3&K and in SA3 I adore Sunset Hill 2, Toy Kingdom 3, and Chaos Angel 1 & 3 but not much else in the game. I'm sure they'll be at least one damn catchy tune in this game, it isn't Sonic Chronicles ya know.

Check this out! It's Splash Hill Zone done Sonic 3 style.

http://8bitcollective.com/music/geckoyamori/Sonic+4+-+Splash+Hill+Zone+(Classic+Arrangement)/

It makes me wish that Senoue would use the Sonic 3 drums for later songs in the game. And maybe some songs could use Master System sounds too. Instead of focusing entirely on the Sonic 1 and 2 drums.

It makes me wish that Senoue would use the Sonic 3 drums for later songs in the game. And maybe some songs could use Master System sounds too. Instead of focusing entirely on the Sonic 1 and 2 drums.

Sounds like something off of Pokemon Sapphire. No offense.

EDIT: lol, neg rep.

Edited by Chris
Link begone!
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

As brilliant as that is, that really DOES sound like it fell out of Pokémon. It's not like S3 at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Pokemon music using the Genesis sound chip?

*shot*

But really, I think that remix sounds like Sonic 3 or 3D Blast to me. Maybe that lead instrument is too high pitched and is throwing everything off for you guys.

It almost sseems to fit the criteria for 3D now that you mention it, but 3D on the MD sounded horrible and this doesn't.

Horrible? Do you mean the actual melodies, or the instruments used, or what? Because I think that the Genesis 3D Blast songs are some of the best in the series.

The tempo's too fast for a Pokémon song but I did notice the resemblance. Pokémon tracks tend to be simplified ballads.

Figures GeckoYamori made that, he's done some impressive Sonic mixes in the past. The arrangement there in the link is much more interesting than the official track. It's also definitely using synth samples from Sonic 3 so it's interesting that people don't seem able to recognise that.

I think the only things that make this sound odd and throwing people off are the slow tempo and the overly chirpy lead synth - the pitch is too high and probably could do with being dropped an octave. I tried to produce an example of what I mean but I'm not able to isolate the lead synth and adjust it. Boosting the tempo by 10% gave the song a lot more energy and it suddenly felt very Soniccy though.

Funny how relatively minor adjustments like that totally change the atmosphere of a piece of music.

Horrible? Do you mean the actual melodies, or the instruments used, or what? Because I think that the Genesis 3D Blast songs are some of the best in the series.

Instruments. I could just never stand how everything sounded like elongated bloops and bleeps. The remixes of GGZ and PPZ in Adventure are nothing short of awesome, and the remix of DDZ in Chronicles is nothing short of dire. And Chronicles are did a number on the superior Saturn soundtrack. Woe... =(

What I most like about SHZ1 is how mellow it is. We never get tracks that sound so calm but upbeat anymore, and they tend to be pretty awesome. I wonder if we'll get the Advance 3 treatment where Act 1 tended to be the base version, Act 2 was much faster (slowed in the case of CA) and Act 3 was more elaborate arrangement of Act 1.

Edited by Blue Blood

Splash Hill's awesome: simple, synthy, and retro. Though I think they took it a bit too far on the phaser effect....

Still a great song, I hope the rest of the soundtrack at least matches its quality!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Personally, I like this remix, as it extends the song a little. One of my quips with the original song is that it's too short, a-la Bridge Zone and stuff.

Edited by Diz
Link has been removed.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Personally, I like this remix, as it extends the song a little. One of my quips with the original song is that it's too short, a-la Bridge Zone and stuff.

Quite like it, especially the bass, which I think may be better than the original, simply because it's stands out from the main instruments and adds more depth to the song.

The tune itself is definitely better than anything I've tried.

Edited by Diz
Link has been removed.

The opening theme was the first thing that subconsciously came into my head when I woke up this morning. That's a sign of a catchy song to me.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Within the first 2 days the song was released, I literally heard over 20 different remixes for it from all over the web.

That has to be some kind of record or something.

Awesome as it sit sounds, it's hardly fits the style of the main theme and SHZ. Like on so many levels is misses the target. Yeah, I agree with it being a fake.

It kind of reminds me of the style of whoever replaced the MJ tracks in the S&K collection.

Edited by Diz
Link has been removed.

Okay, it looks like the Sonic 4 soundtrack has been leaked; no point fantasising and pondering now...

Message to Mods/ Admins: Lock this; there's nothing more to discuss.

Pretty silly reason to lock the topic. Sonic Unleashed has been released already, so let's stop talking about it.

Doesn't work.

I'm not so sure it's necessary to lock this topic now - Sonic 4 is an episodic series so even if you guys feel that it's not worth it to redirect the discussion to the current episode's soundtrack then you can always discuss what you'd like to see in a future installment. :)

Here's a question: Who thinks the final zone theme (E.G.G. Station) will reappear or be continued (a la Act 2 and 3 versions) in episode 2? I have the sneaking suspicion that E.G.G. Station is a teaser of the first Zone in episode 2.

Here's a question: Who thinks the final zone theme (E.G.G. Station) will reappear or be continued (a la Act 2 and 3 versions) in episode 2? I have the sneaking suspicion that E.G.G. Station is a teaser of the first Zone in episode 2.

Maybe it could show up in a semi-destroyed form after the final battle... a sort of mechanical Angel Island Zone, perhaps. Apart from Sonic CD's bad futures, I don't think we've ever really gotten to experience an Eggman base in ruins, and it'd make the final battle of Episode 1 feel a lot more satisfying to know that it destroyed the entire level around it... er, depending on what exactly E.G.G Station is. And what the final battle's like. And so on, bleh.

I'm not so sure it's necessary to lock this topic now - Sonic 4 is an episodic series so even if you guys feel that it's not worth it to redirect the discussion to the current episode's soundtrack then you can always discuss what you'd like to see in a future installment. :)

Okay - I guess I didn't think about the game's episodic nature...

In any case, I'll probably edit the main post so that it encompasses a retrospective view of the soundtrack once the final instalment of the Sonic 4 chronology is released.

~ EX

It's nothing compared to that other drawn one by Adamis, but I thought I'd give making album art a try.

f2ldmv.jpg