Awoo.

Sonic 4's Soundtrack(s)

eXtaticus

I can't figure out how to download this. I've gotten past the captcha, but I can't find a download link after that?...

It redirects me to some other page, presumably to install an add-on that I don't want. I tried it in IE too (since I've figured Firefox sucks with file-hosting sites), same thing.

It redirects me to some other page, presumably to install an add-on that I don't want. I tried it in IE too (since I've figured Firefox sucks with file-hosting sites), same thing.

Now uploaded to another host.

Thanks a lot. Does this include the jingles, like the Game Over and Super Sonic themes?

EDIT: Nevermind, it does.

If anyone has it can they post a download link to the little cutscene music when Sonic confronts Eggman then rides the Tails Red Rocket to E.G.G Station Zone. I can't seem to find it on Wouns link to that Russian forums topic (which I ain't having trouble with thanks to Google Translate) or anywhere else.

This soundtrack I've just downloaded from the link in here, is it from the iPhone version or the Wii one...or the PS3/360 version? XD

I wonder when an official soundtrack will be announced. Oh well, I'll have to deal with the songs from the site for now :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know where I could get midi files of the Soundtrack of Episode 1 ? I would grateful if anyone could get me them =).

Edited by Shaddix

From Sonic Retro:

-As Tweaker has said, the music is sequenced in the Wii version due to WiiWare file size restrictions. With some elbow grease, the sequence/bank/wav data from the game's BRSAR was extracted and collected in this 7z file for your enjoyment. With this, we can convert the sequence data to MIDI (using this tool, please archive). Please note that the converted midi file is somewhat full of errors, but there are programs that can fix this (Anvil Studio might work). You can also possibly use those wav files for creating a Sonic 4 soundfont.

I'll admit that while I find some of the tunes catchy, what I don't like about this soundtrack is that while it's Sonic in flavor, it's stagnant in spirit. Sonic 1, 2, and especially 3&K's soundtracks were all memorable because they for the Genesis, the quality they had was almost unmatched. For a 2010 game, it just sounds ridiculously regressive. It's fitting to the rest of Sonic 4 in that while it's enjoyable on its own (IMO), it does nothing to perpetuate the standard set back in the early 90s in 2010. In all fairness, it would be a virtually impossible task to spontaneously revive a design philosophy 16 years after it was last used, especially in such a rapidly changing culture, which is why I forgive the game as a whole, but if anything about the Sonic series has remained consistently enjoyable for me, it's the music, so this was probably the most Jun Senoue's disappointed me since Crush 40's take on Seven Rings in Hand.

Edited by SuperStingray

Someone at Retro made the best ever remix of SHZ2 not long ago. I played through the act with that remix and it felt so much better aesthetically. The original SHZ2 music is one of the best in game but it's trumped so easily.

Jun really screwed up on this one.

Indeed, the Genesis music aimed to push the system's sound to its limits. Jun Senoue went the entirely opposite direction and seems to think that intentionally arranging music to sound like shit is somehow "retro". Sonic 4's drum samples are fucking abominable.

Yeah, the Genesis music aimed to push the system's sound to its limits. Jun Senoue went the entirely opposite direction and seems to think that intentionally arranging music to sound like shit is somehow "retro". Sonic 4's drum samples are fucking abominable.

Fumie Kumatani composed Tornado Defense, but your point stands.

They ought to replace Senoue altogether for episode 2. Make things more interesting by having each episode feature a different composer. I'd love for them to bring back Masato Nakamura for the final episode or something.

Fumie Kumatani composed Tornado Defense, but your point stands.

They ought to replace Senoue altogether for episode 2. Make things more interesting by having each episode feature a different composer.

Edited by Blue Blood

To be fair, I'm not sure if it was specifically Senoue's fault or the generally regressive tone they were aiming for in the game as a whole. Don't forget his Sky Sanctuary and

remixes he did. They capture the original spirit of the tracks extremely well. Not to mention his work as the sound director and main composer in Sonic Adventure. He perfectly captured Sonic's musical tone for that day and age, even while incorporating lyrical themes. I just think Sonic 4's development was aiming for nostalgia above performence and Jun just picked up that motif.

That said, I vote Bentley Jones as composer for Episode 2.

Senoue has grown senile with his music, and the last time he produced anything noteworthy was twelve years ago. Better instrumentation would have elevated Sonic 4's soundtrack above "ear raping" status at best.

I also don't care all that much about those remixes! Angel Island sounds like the original but just with Senoue's annoying trademark guitar riffing. Sky Sanctuary uses that sort of electronic synth that I don't like in songs.

Senoue has grown senile with his music, and the last time he produced anything noteworthy was twelve years ago. Better instrumentation would have elevated Sonic 4's soundtrack above "ear raping" status at best.

I also don't care all that much about those remixes! Angel Island sounds like the original but just with Senoue's annoying trademark guitar riffing. Sky Sanctuary uses that sort of electronic synth that I don't like in songs.

• Thumbs Up 1

As for the Episode I Sountrack. Its average at best, except for Mad Gear Zone (which would be worthy of Mega Drive status, had he used better drum samples)

Better step it up for Episode II.