Awoo.

Ryannumber1gamer

5 hours ago, Red Hot Jack said:

RIP Classic Sonic. You've had your fun, time to get serious.

Nah, in all seriousness, that ain't happening.

I believe the classic branding will continue to exist as its own ongoing subseries of (mostly 2D sidescroller) games. Modern fans who are sick of seeing the little guy can have what they want, but us classic fans can keep getting games fully dedicated to that style as well. Maybe that's for the best in the end, letting classic Sonic stick around but keeping the two branches of the series away from each other.

• Thumbs Up 2

One quibble I have with the visuals for Shadow Generations: the Boost uses the obnoxious speed lines effect from Forces, rather than motion blur like every other game. I figured Sonic Team grew out of this since Frontiers used motion blur too, but apparently it's just some weird artistic choice that they're picky about. Definitely sticks out even more considering this is bundled in with a game that has excellent motion blur implementation.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

Pretty crazy to see Black Doom return. Never expected that. 

Would love for them to expand on the story a bit. Give everyone a little more. And also improve the final boss

Also, most importantly, fix Perfect Chaos' design. I don't care of it's more accurate to the mural, he should be fully water! 

Also, I expect the SOAP shoes skin to return, so hooray 👀🙌

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh boy how much these forums would've went NUCLEAR if this was a decade ago.

Wasn't expecting Black Doom back tho. Guess that means the Black Arms are really here to stay.

Spoiler

Put Eclipse in it!

Edited by CrownSlayer’s Shadow
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Nah, in all seriousness, that ain't happening.

I believe the classic branding will continue to exist as its own ongoing subseries of (mostly 2D sidescroller) games. Modern fans who are sick of seeing the little guy can have what they want, but us classic fans can keep getting games fully dedicated to that style as well. Maybe that's for the best in the end, letting classic Sonic stick around but keeping the two branches of the series away from each other.

Incidentally, this is why Generations was disappointing for me. It's a new game for modern Sonic fans! But half of it is Classic Sonic. But at least you get to play Modern Sonic! Except half of that was 2D too.

• Absolutely 1

I'm really curious to know just how much of the Shadow content of this package there is. Will it feel like a completely stand alone game and is Generations really just bundled in, or is Generations still the vast majority of this game?

At first I was just thinking it would be an extra 3 levels and a boss or two shoehorned into the original game with Shadow basically being a modern Sonic skin, but now IDK. It seems like the Shadow content will feel significantly different then the original Generations modern Sonic content and it probably won't mesh well. The Generations footage honestly looks almost exactly the same as it did before with very minor changes which is nice I guess but the Shadow stages look way more detailed and visually impressive. 

I wonder how many stages/levels we'll get from this or how they'll try to merge the two games. It sounds like Generations completely stands alone and, with the exception of some "bonus" content (probably reskins and art or stuff like in Colors Ultimate), won't actually be part of the Shadow content. 

It's going to feel kinda weird if they're tackling only 3 stages and a boss or so that look and feel significantly more up-to-date in terms of visuals than the OG Generations, remastered or otherwise. I think the YT trailer description said that Shadow gets a whole new campaign, but Shadow technically got a "new campaign" in Forces, too. Maybe not a fair example but idk what a full campaign means from Sonic Team 

Edited by McGroose

This is insane. They're actually bringing Black Doom back from Shadow The Hedgehog...

The trailer looked spectacular! I haven't played Generations so most of this is new to me, but then it showed all the Shadow The Hedgehog style levels, with the G.U.N mechs? Day one purchase.

IT'S WORTH WAITING

FINALLY, A PERFECT GAME

WITH SHADOW AS MAIN CHARACTER

ADVENTURE STYLE

A PERFECT GAME!!!!!!!

My favourite already!!!!!

Edited by ShadowForever
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 2

Not sure if its been brought up already, but at this point Sonic Team may as well of just remade SA1 and SA2.

Seems like a waste to remake a good chunk of content from both games, only to be used for a glorified "Generations 1 1/2."

I still find the name to be a quite...suboptimal choice. XD

But other than that, looking good so far! That city stage looks a lot like westopolis. I bet we will get a bunch of sa2 and shadow levels for this one.

• Chuckle 1

Now let's just pray gameplay will keep up with the hype. I got burned with Forces once.

Worst Case
- Current Shadow personality
- only 2 levels (ARK and city) and 2 bosses (Biolizard and Black Doom).
- Forces level length and quality
But if that's the case then I have no idea what's the green capsule Shadow kicks. Black Doom boos fight?

My Minimum Requirements
- Little dialogue or at least Flynn level control
- Either 5 new (themes) or 3 themes x 2. If we really have only 2 themes then this better be looong.
- Generations level quality.
- Sonic and Shadow can play each others levels.

Unrealistic Perfect Package
- Good story that actually explores Shadow as character, maybe even sheds new light on events on ARK 50 years ago.
- 2D and 3D levels from Shadow (ARK), Forces (City), Lost World, Frontiers.
- If really stinkin' greedy also levels from Classics: CD, Mania, Superstars.
- Whole rouge gallery of Shadow present: Black Doom, Infinite and Mephiles as final boss. Maybe Eggman, Sonic and/or Diablon as bonus.
- Classic Shadow. Probably as unlockable bonus, making it story relevant would be silly.

I do wonder how the heck this fits with time travel motive. Mephiles or Infinite could potentially bend time & space like that, but Black Doom? It doesn't help that he was dead, so he needs to be pulled from the past and somehow catch up with current situation.

Edited by MetalSkulkBane

inb4 everything is a Phantom Ruby illusion by Infinite

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

I really wasn't expecting to see Black Doom, but on reflection it makes perfect sense for a time-wimey story with Shadow.

The question really is whether this will be like Episode Shadow or more like Bowser's Fury. Even if it's as short as Episode Shadow this does look to have more effort put in it at least. But as this isn't free that's a bare minimum.

I probably won't get this as I almost never double-dip and my PS3 is still set up ready to play. Going to look on with curiosity though.

You know, if they did remasters of Sonic Colors and Sonic 06, I would not be surprised if they did a Sonic 06 remaster in the future...

*Looks to see everyone give him angry looks* Yeah, I see the door to my left. *Runs to said door at supersonic speed*

• Chuckle 2

The Shadow stuff looks great! I just hope it's a full story and not whatever Forces gave us. Black Doom returning and seemingly being the antagonist is wild!

I didn't know about the rumours, so waking up to this was something.

As for the Sonic Generations side of things, I hope they throw in a couple of new levels. New challenges are nice and all, but og Generations is old enough that they can throw new areas in there.

Edited by Kittea
  • Thumbs Up 2

Well to be fair, Shadow haven’t had his own game since the year 2005, but the only good review I know the game got is from Herald sun. It’s an Australian newspaper, but the information is found on Wikipedia.

Anyways, I don’t trust reviews for nothing’s as good or bad as what so-called critics say for it to be. In fact, I’d rather hear what the users have to say themselves for they have different suitings and tastes for gaming, but if this update for Sonic generations gets a higher user score rating than the game named after Shadow, then it should be an emprovement for Shadow the hedgehog as a playable character. Anyways, I reckon this update is just so that we’d see what Shadow had been up to while both classic and modern Sonic’s are dealing with Eggman’s crazy scheme with the time eater.

Edited by Trevor Culleton

4 hours ago, Austroid said:

Not sure if its been brought up already, but at this point Sonic Team may as well of just remade SA1 and SA2.

Seems like a waste to remake a good chunk of content from both games, only to be used for a glorified "Generations 1 1/2."

I do want a remake of the Adventure series, but yeah I prefer a new game over that, this project seems to be a Shth game in the vibe of Forces and Frontiers, but in a good way. Instead of guns and vehicles, you get modern boost gameplay with chaos combat moves, traditional stages and cinematic moments with places and ideas from SA2 and Shth, but kept rather simple and Sonic-y unlike Shadow's game from 2005. 

The one thing on my mind with the remaster is how mod support on PC will differ if the remaster is being made in Hedgehog ending 2, if there will be any differences at all.

I'm also in the kinda-wish-they-remade-SA2 camp.

A Shadow campaign in Sonic Generations seems like an odd mix.

Honestly it looks great and knowing that I will be able to play generations on my switch makes me even more excited, I actually look forward to them showing more and the game arrives

I wonder; is Shadow going to be playable outside his campaign in Sonic Forces or will his character be limited to that campaign?

1 hour ago, Shiny Gems said:

I wonder; is Shadow going to be playable outside his campaign in Sonic Forces or will his character be limited to that campaign?

They've clarified that Sonic Generations and Shadow Generations are separate games and that they are bundled together, so I wouldn't expect any crossover content-wise. At most, we'd get a Shadow skin in Generations that's functionally no different from Modern Sonic.

A simple remaster coming to Switch would've been enough to at least get me thinking about this for my niece and nephews, but the fact that they're adding the new Shadow campaign? As someone with a soft spot for the Shadow the Hedgehog game, I look forward to this. Now, to decide which version to get for myself...

The niece and nephews will likely get the Switch version because, well, that's all they got to play Generations on.