Awoo.

Ryannumber1gamer

Sega decided the best way to remaster a game after doing too much with Colors Ultimate was to instead do nothing at all but change the resolution. 
honestly the Xbox series s/x bc port of generations looks like just as much of a remaster by comparison. 
I really don’t care to be honest I’d rather have the game be the original than butchered like with Colors, it’s just funny seeing the stark contrast between that remaster and this one 

24 minutes ago, McGroose said:

I really don’t care to be honest I’d rather have the game be the original than butchered like with Colors,

I just wanna point out that we've reached a point where literally doing no enhancements to the visuals with a touted remaster is considered a positive for this series. That's where we're at now. 

1 hour ago, McGroose said:

Sega decided the best way to remaster a game after doing too much with Colors Ultimate was to instead do nothing at all but change the resolution. 
honestly the Xbox series s/x bc port of generations looks like just as much of a remaster by comparison. 
I really don’t care to be honest I’d rather have the game be the original than butchered like with Colors, it’s just funny seeing the stark contrast between that remaster and this one 

Not letting a blind squirrel handle the remaster probably helped considerably.

• Absolutely 1

Looks interesting so far. I'm really trying not to get my hopes up too much, though I am really excited to both have a newer port of Generations on modern hardware so I don't have to keep dragging out the PS3/360 for it (or use the Series S/X version which has some problems with certain shortcuts thanks to the fps boost messing with game logic. I think, I don't really know how this kind of stuff works admittedly).

I wonder how significant the Shadow portion will be. A lot of the descriptions and even the japanese social media account seems to put the Shadow Generations (as they're calling it) first, with Sonic Gens being more of a bonus. I'm not expecting a full-on Frontiers length game, but if we get a game as long (or short, really) as the base Generations then that'd be really cool actually. I hope we get some original music with this too and not purely remixes. Come on Sega, you know what I'm going to ask. Give them the call.

The only real concern I have thus far is the stage design. I'm not expecting Generations level of quality, maybe not even Frontiers level since a lot of the movement that made those fun (think the homing dash cancel, or the spindash) will absolutely be fixed/nerfed here. I just really hope we get some actual levels here at the very least, because what we've seen of gameplay so far looks very cinematic. Not a bad thing, but I really do hope these levels are more than just glorified 2 minute long set pieces.

Pretty much just going to mix what I said on Retro over here...

I watched this trailer and I felt... Absolutely nothing.

It's just, oh God we're doing 3D boost again.
Oh God we're doing Green Hill again.
Oh God its Generations again.
Oh God it's SA2 stages again!
But now with added Shadow and... almost no Gameplay of him shown... 

Lol like... What are you honestly excited about when you look at this footage? I'm gonna sound like the old man yells at cloud meme, but I can remember when I first saw an advert for Sonic 3, and I was excited because, yeah it was Sonic, but that excitement was because I'd just had 2 games worth of incredible level design, really fun gameplay, and what I couldn't at the time articulate, all these different mechanics (Physics, friction, gravity etc) all working so well with the level design and every part of it to give me an amazing time.

Now... I just feel that... all the trailer is doing is saying "Here is Shadow now! You like Shadow! It's Shadow! Be excited"

Me: But... Why...? What's he doing?

Trailer: Pre-order now and maybe you'll find out!

What is there in this trailer that can possibly get you excited? Because there ain't anything. It's like how when you watch those clips from Marvel Studios comic con panels and they show a fucking logo and people just scream like chimps. It's a fucking logo! There's no footage, you're literally just screaming at a recognisable brand. 

Then when I read into the 'plot' of the Shadow section, I honestly wondered if Sega knows it's own history. "Black Doom will be tormenting Shadow with painful memories from his past." But... He's made it clear on numerous occasions including at the end of his own game that "I've put my past behind me!" 

Even Sonic 06 knew not to bring up Shadows past again like that, the twist that game put on it (though admittedly didn't follow through with), was that just because Shadow has put his past behind him, doesn't mean everyone else has. The general public still don't really trust him because they saw him standing on the Golden Gate Bridge threatening the world and nearly bringing it's destruction.

Just because he's moved on, doesn't mean the rest of the world is so ready to forget. 

So why are we doing all of this again? We've already done the "Oh my painful past" multiple times now.

I would say it did a better job than the original Generations trailer, if we want to make a comparison, the first one was only a teaser that should have gotten you excited because there were 2 Sonics, the other trailer I think had only Green Hill Zone in 2D and 3D. This, on the other hand had:

- GHZ and City Escape from the original game, untouched (?) from the old version

- Edited CGI with the addition of Shadow besides the original clip

- Shadow gameplay, with some chaos powers and cinematic moments

- The return of Black Doom and Biolizard

- 2 stages like Final Chase and (I think) Westopolis

I would say it's a lot for a first trailer, if anything, obviously it wants you to get excited for Shadow's return after many years... as I said, it's the og Generations which left me bored here.

Plus, it has "past" stages, villains, because it's called Shadow Generations, in the same vein of Sonic Generations. It's not that weird.

Edited by Red Hot Jack

I'm honestly just kinda happy that this means traditional boost might not be dead

If you want my opinion, I believe Sonic may be too good for Sega. In fact, I reckon Sonic deserves to be worked on by so much better video game industries. Gameloft for example. They don’t own Sonic, but they did a mobile game of the blue blur called “Sonic runners adventure”, yet somehow, the game faired a whole lot better than Sonic runners from Sega.

Sometimes I feel that Sega should just give up and leave Sonic to be continued on from different video game industries that would have better chances with him, especially Nintendo.

If you feel otherwise, it’s okay, I understand.

Edited by Trevor Culleton

2 hours ago, Red Hot Jack said:

I would say it did a better job than the original Generations trailer, if we want to make a comparison, the first one was only a teaser that should have gotten you excited because there were 2 Sonics, the other trailer I think had only Green Hill Zone in 2D and 3D. This, on the other hand had:

- GHZ and City Escape from the original game, untouched (?) from the old version

- Edited CGI with the addition of Shadow besides the original clip

- Shadow gameplay, with some chaos powers and cinematic moments

- The return of Black Doom and Biolizard

- 2 stages like Final Chase and (I think) Westopolis

I would say it's a lot for a first trailer, if anything, obviously it wants you to get excited for Shadow's return after many years... as I said, it's the og Generations which left me bored here.

Plus, it has "past" stages, villains, because it's called Shadow Generations, in the same vein of Sonic Generations. It's not that weird.

You're missing a major thing though.

The original Generations teaser had the added impact of it being the first real time classic stages would be getting a 3D remake.

Since SA2 battle gave us a window into what a 3D GHZ could look like, fans had been asking for a decade to see the classic levels remade in 3D, and this trailer didn't even need to say anything and fans at the time knew what it meant and speculation went into overdrive.

But since 2011, how often have we seen GUZ? Chemical plant? Sky Sanctuary? 

Remaking older stages into newer 3D had been done to death... Like... What else have you got to make us excited?

Edited by Badnik Mechanic

35 minutes ago, Badnik Mechanic said:

The original Generations teaser had the added impact of it being the first real time classic stages would be getting a 3D remake.

Since SA2 battle gave us a window into what a 3D GHZ could look like, fans had been asking for a decade to see the classic levels remade in 3D, and this trailer didn't even need to say anything and fans at the time knew what it meant and speculation went into overdrive.

Remaking older stages into newer 3D had been done to death... Like... What else have you got to make us excited?

I honestly think it's as simple as Generations was a well received game at the time, but has mainly been stuck on older hardware outside of PCs, which most children don't own.

It's also just to tie into the Movie, just like when Sonic Colors Ultimate came out after the first movie.

So yea, this is for the Lil timmies.

1 hour ago, Trevor Culleton said:

If you want my opinion, I believe Sonic may be too good for Sega. In fact, I reckon Sonic deserves to be worked on by so much better video game industries. Gameloft for example. They don’t own Sonic, but they did a mobile game of the blue blur called “Sonic runners adventure”, yet somehow, the game faired a whole lot better than Sonic runners from Sega.

That is such a rollercoaster of a paragraph I almost threw up.

I'm not sure if I want to extrapolate a remaster of a well-beloved game that's not exactly widely available (one can debate it's on Steam so it's "widely available", but it's not on the Switch, one of the biggest console sellers, it's not on PS4/PS5 and while it is on Xbox, the FPS boost from what I've heard introduces some weird bugs that PC port doesn't have) into them not knowing what they're doing, I'd argue this is the most sane move SEGA has really done in a while - release a well-regarded game onto modern platforms for newer people and make another smaller-scale experience with Shadow Generations and make it a whole package. Nintendo did it with 3D World + Bowser's Fury, Square did it with Kingdom Hearts 3D and 0.2, I'm not sure why Sonic isn't allowed to do the same.

As for what we saw of Shadow Generations, I do agree that there wasn't much in terms of how it's gonna play and what little we did get did look very Forces/cyberspace-like, but I want to see more to figure out if that's gonna be the entire thing or not. At least we already know that you can shoot Chaos Spears, which is what I wanted in a hypothetical Frontiers-like game with Shadow in it (since we can't have guns in this house). Hopefully it's not contextual to Biolizard, but we'll see. Visually it's already looking pretty sick comparatively and it's cool that they're using Black Doom's illusion manipulation that way. Infinite could never.

Speaking of - yeah, fucking Black Doom is a villain for this, this is great, even if I hate his ass in Edgy the Hedgie (the game). This is the kind of acknowledgement of the past that I appreciate and I hope they continue doing that and not just "have green hill again" or "Here's Tails mentioning Dark Gaia for no real reason other than to establish that it did happen" (didn't mind in Frontiers, don't want the same thing in every game tho). Also Biolizard not being the same exact fight as SA2 or 3DS Generations is exciting enough. That dude can stick to walls now!

• Nice Smile 1

3 hours ago, Badnik Mechanic said:

I think it was mostly that Classic Sonic was back, in a crossover, it was a really popular return like Shadow in a major role is today. That's simple really. I think it's also for different people, they catered around nostalgia for Classic fans, back then, they are catering to fans of SA2 and Shadow now, it's normal it means different things for different people.

As a quantity perspective, this trailer showcases a lot more stuff than the original Generations first trailers, the teaser and the GHZ one.

Also it is finally time they start having nostalgia for things in the series other than the classic era. In my opinion.

Well, I'm happy those rumours we're real. Seems like we could be in for a treat with the Shadow Generations side of things, too. After all, if we get nine stages and four bosses, that's mostly a mirror of what Sonic Generations has. Throw in three rival fights (could easily see two of them being Sonic and Silver) and make sure each stage has two acts rather than one, and that's almost dead-on what Sonic Generations provided all those years ago.

Hopefully whatever bonus content Sonic Generations gets is fun enough to deserve a full playthrough of it. But I know I'll be doing that anyway.

23 hours ago, Trevor Culleton said:

Sometimes I feel that Sega should just give up and leave Sonic to be continued on from different video game industries that would have better chances with him, especially Nintendo.

Kind of disagree, The original Sonic Runners had better marketing than Runners adventure, had an original OST, ran at 60fps, had collabs with Pyuo Pyuo and Phantasy Star Online 2 (This has the first time I discovered what Phantasy Star was). Where as Runners Adventure had barley any advertisement, reused music from previous games, ran at 30fps, zero post launch support.

The only mistake Sonic Team made was making it  always online and now making an offline mode.

I wouldn't mind SEGA collaborating with other developers to make Sonic game, but just selling off the IP wouldn't be the way to go, especially to Nintendo, especially as a PC gamer and the fact that they have other IP's aside from Mario and Zelda that they barley touch.

21 hours ago, Bobnik said:

the FPS boost from what I've heard introduces some weird bugs that PC port doesn't have

From my experience, the Steam version has the same bug when playing at a high framerate, so it's not exclusive to the Xbox version. Just seems to be an issue with any version being run above 30fps.

I am so exited for this, i wonder if you can buy shadow's abilities from the gens boss in the skill shop

I just realized that in the year 2005, Shadow in his very own game, had already proven to us on how and why he’s the ultimate life form. Now, history is yet to repeat itself.

• Thumbs Up 1

What if... What if they travel in time and save Maria???

46 minutes ago, ShadowForever said:

If they add Silver they might!

1 hour ago, ShadowForever said:

Is it bad that I don’t want them doing that? I don’t enjoy time travel tropes much to begin with, but we had Shadow have an entire game about letting go of the past and trying to figure that out, the same game Black Doom is from, and going back to save her would kinda…go against that.

So, I’m at least intrigued. I never got to play Sonic Generations myself, and wasn’t really drawn to it. Now with Shadow? I’m in.

• Fist Bump 1

On 2/6/2024 at 9:31 AM, Zadent said:

Is it bad that I don’t want them doing that? I don’t enjoy time travel tropes much to begin with, but we had Shadow have an entire game about letting go of the past and trying to figure that out, the same game Black Doom is from, and going back to save her would kinda…go against that.

So, I’m at least intrigued. I never got to play Sonic Generations myself, and wasn’t really drawn to it. Now with Shadow? I’m in.

Don't think I'd want that, either. I don't think they'll do that, but I've seen more improbable things happen...

On 1/31/2024 at 6:32 PM, Johnny Boy said:

I doubt Infinite will come back since this story apparently takes place around the same time as Generations.

Having him as a non-canon secret boss could be fine. Or maybe retcon him to have fought Shadow before Generations.

On 2/7/2024 at 1:31 AM, Zadent said:

I'm not sure about that myself, we'll just have to wait for the results for the game. By the way, I'm referring to Steam, not Metacritic, nor IGN. I don't trust those. I mean, when they gonna lean, Sonic is as good as Mario. he's just different. I mean considering another mascot inferior, just because he's different or any other wrong reasons, that's like considering another person no better fitting for an education or job just because the skin tones different and that is kind of racist.

Edited by Trevor Culleton

On 2/6/2024 at 1:33 PM, ShadowForever said:

What if they travel in time and save Maria???

They won't, if anything because it would be super awkward right before Sonic 3 comes out.

And while I see the positives of doing it, the negatives are too large. I think Shadow should meet someone with kindness who would remind him of Maria and motivate Shadow to be a better person.

How about a marketable baby with magic powers to his stoic badass energy? Mandalorian is still popular, right?

Edited by MetalSkulkBane
  • Chuckle 1

37 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

They won't, if anything because it would be super awkward right before Sonic 3 comes out.

And while I see the positives of doing it, the negatives are too large. I think Shadow should meet someone with kindness who would remind him of Maria and motivate Shadow to be a better person.

How about a martetable baby with magic powers to his stoic badass energy? Mandalorian is still popular, right?

The Adventures of Shadow and the Shadow Chao.