Awoo.

Your latest collection additions...

Nemain

Got a couple of freebies from the local independent game store earlier today. First one was the double-sided Mario and Sonic poster, which is neat.

The other freebie was...a Mario and Sonic Open/Closed door sign, obviously intended solely for shops. The weird thing is, the guy on the till told me they'd been sent seven of them, which is why they had spares. I can understand a store being sent two of these things for two entrances (this store only had the one, but oh well), I can even understand it being sent three of them as a back-up in case one of the others gets damaged, but why seven?

Edited by VEDJ-F

This arrived today.

20pin.jpg

The pin is a lot smaller than I thought it would be, but that doesn't mean it's any less awesome. It comes in a small display box that was inside a small cardboard shell that you can see in the picture.

20pin3.jpg

That small bit of paper is quite common it seems with pins that come from Japan, my Sonic Adventure pin set has a similar thing with it, as does my Sonic Team pins, it's basically a set of safety instructions/information about the pin, nothing too exciting but heres a close up anyway.

20pin2.jpg

Now the pin also came with some paperwork, at first I thought it was just the sellers invoice/thank you for buying message. But looking at it closer I'm not so sure.

20pin1.jpg

The top line says something like "Sonic the Hedgehog 20th anniversary" and that repeats itself several times over, now further to the bottom there are openning hours for Sega, as well as contact information for Sega.

We know that around 700 or so of these were competition prizes, I think that this pin is one of those and that is the 'congratualtions' letter that usually acompanies Sega competition prizes. If anyone wants to translate it for me be my guest.

Oh and, I have deliberately kept a very crucial detail of this pin secret, so if suddenly they start popping up on ebay it will be quite easy to tell a fake from a real one. If anyone does have one of these they'll probably know what I'm talking about when I say the back of it wasn't quite what I expected.

This arrived today.

20pin.jpg

Is this the Pin you've been after ever since you seen SEGA reps wearing then at game fests?

Edited by Samus Aran

Another one of these ended on yahoo Japan for 6,750 yen I believe. Which was a bit higher than the last one. If that keeps up it will be just like the 20th cube nice grab though I saw this end I wasn't going to bid on it, not my kind of material. Which is a bit higher than the last one.

Edited by 1991sealedquality

Not exactly. The one I wanted was the one I saw Yuji Naka and some of the Sega reps at SOS wearing.

20thpin.jpg

Thats the one I really wanted, mainly because it was almost exactly like the one they released for the 10th anniversary. Also the fact that they said they would be handing them out gave me a lot of hope to get one, only it seemed like they were only going to the press or as random and rare competition prizes.

That one I heard about at Gamefest, my girlfriend sends me a message saying 'you are going to want what the Sega reps are wearing at the Tokyo Game Show.' So I go online at my hotel and see that pin. I was more or less resigned to the fact I'd never ever get one since I couldn't ever see them being released outside of Japan.

Then when Generations was coming out, Sega announced a competition in Japan, the prizes included a Japanese Generations collectors edition, the 20th anniversary F4F statue. Pocket watches, and 700 of those pins. Whilst I did really want one, I wasn't too heartbroken over it since I knew it would be a very hard pin to find so I wasn't too disapointed at the low prospect of finding one.

Although if anyone does spot one, I'd quite like to point my girlfriend in the direction of it since I know she wants one too... .. . no you can't have this... this is mine /Basil Fawlty

20pin1.jpg

At the top it says "Sonic 20th Anniversary Goods Present Campaign"

The middle part is too garbled to read, but it is addressed to you, the customer. Probably an explanation for the pin's release.

The bottom is just SEGA customer support for Sonic Generations and below that, PuyoPuyo, service hours and days of the week.

Edited by ChaoChao
  • Thumbs Up 1

431026_285396224865711_100001860088046_667220_1151268713_n.jpg

CRAPE YOUR KNUCKLES. CATCH SOME FAILS.

Okay, so I just dug up this "gem" from my closet after not having seen it for years... Technically, it's not a new addition to my "collection"... but after not having seen it for years, it feels like I'm holding it in my hands for the first time again. <3 Haha, so... what exactly are you looking at, you ask? Well, in case it isn't obvious, it's an incredibly poor bootleg of the Sonic OVA. Why do I have this? Well, back when I was hunting down the actual Sonic OVA DVD to replace my VHS copy, I came across an auction on eBay that listed this for about $20 USD. I thought it was an absolute steal. The Sonic OVA DVD became pretty rare and expensive, and I was under the impression that the seller didn't know what this was worth. Now, the guy selling it was in the wrong here. He put up a stock photo of the actual DVD, and if I'm not mistaken, he made it out that this was an official brand-new copy of the DVD. At this time, I didn't have many experiences with bootlegs, so I didn't know what I was in for. Looking at it now... goddamn was I stupid. Everyone knows to be cautious with listings that have stock photos and not a picture of the actual item you will be receiving! I don't remember the guy's feedback score either. It was probably, like, 5% or something... Stupid Alex. Stupid, stupid Alex...

Anyways, when I opened it, I immediately knew what had happened. This asswipe tricked me. He used an official photo of the actual DVD for the listing, and made it seem like it was the real deal. Hell, I wasn't even aware of this bootleg's existence at the time, and didn't think I'd have to watch out for something like this. For all I knew, bootlegs like this weren't allowed on eBay. So, I fell for this listing... but I didn't do anything about it. In all honesty, I thought the bootleg was so shitty that it was funny, and because of that, I thought it was awesome. Well, that's the story of this beauty. tongue.png

I am trying to catch up with posts I missed, and I came across this... Is it really that rare? I own it from Walmart that I bought years ago for $5, but it's a different cover:

51FB9GAKZRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Is this just as rare?

Awesome T, I was going to bid myself but decided against it at the last minute as I had other priorities at the time. Does it contain any kind of paperwork or logos or anything besides the logo on the zippo itself?

It doesn't contain any other paperwork unfortunately - would have loved to have known number produced or anything else additional. Was a little apprehensive initially with this, but hey, took a gamble.

I think it would be extremely hard to make these outside of a factory - I know there's a picture of one on Sonic Gear too with identical presentation, so it looks like it's not something fan-made and more likely a production item.

I've asked around with people I know who have been at SEGA some time including Jun, and no one has seen one of these about.

It actually came with another beaten up lighter interior...I'm hoping that isn't the remenent of another!

If I see another one about, I'll give you a shout Pete - in the mean time if you want some detailed photos of it to put up on your site I'm more than happy to send you some!

T

I am trying to catch up with posts I missed, and I came across this... Is it really that rare? I own it from Walmart that I bought years ago for $5, but it's a different cover:

51FB9GAKZRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Is this just as rare?

Huh, I got the movie when I was 9/10 from a local shop, but the cover looked like this (without the typo xD)

208686-51ah7kp4rrl.jpg

and the vhs was white (which I thought was the coolest thing at the time, sadly don't have it anymore when mold attacked all my vhs tapes *sniff*)

Yeah, I've seen the Sonic OVA released with a few different covers; I don't think any of them are particularly more rare than the others.

Even though I don't really make use of it anymore, I still have the white VHS version of it as well. Man I used to watch that thing all the time back in 2000/2001.

• Thumbs Up 1

^ Ooh nice! I'm not usually interested in iPhone cases but that one is particularly awesome.

Also we have very similar hair (yours is a fair bit darker though). Although mine is straightened, it is exactly like that. o_o

Edited by Lungo

lighteram.jpg

The very rare 10th anniversary lighter. Gorgeous.

T

Ooooo Very nice!

How much did you end up paying for it if you don't mind me asking?

I actually picked up the previous Sonic Zippo model (I think they only made two?) last year in a store. It's from 1991 and just has classic Sonic in a ball. I was a bit worried cuz it was damn expensive and I was only about 70% sure it was not a bootleg, cuz it was from a trusted franchise store in their display cabinet and with a SEGA copyright on it...but still I had my doubts.

It wasn't until a little after when I picked up an old Sonic Jam game guide that also had a rare merch section with photos that I managed to confirm that it is a legit Sonic item!

I paid about ¥19,000 for it. A lot, sure, but never seen another for sale.

Are you talking about this one?

sl733164.jpg

I will laugh if "the store" you picked this up from was the COSPA store in Shibuya, because that's where I found mine!

I tried to communicate with the store owner about whether it was official or not, but he didn't understand...being the merch-hawg I am I bought it anyway (Think it was about ¥6000).

Easiest way to check if it's genuine is the check for the ZIPPO logo on the bottom and the Bradford, PA markings - as far as I am aware these don't come with any literature indicating they are official SEGA products - nor do any of my other branded videogame ZIPPOs, so don't be put off buying one if they don't. I think it's quite hard to forge the engraving anyway.

T

I paid about ¥19,000 for it. A lot, sure, but never seen another for sale.

Are you talking about this one?

sl733164.jpg

I will laugh if "the store" you picked this up from was the COSPA store in Shibuya, because that's where I found mine!

I tried to communicate with the store owner about whether it was official or not, but he didn't understand...being the merch-hawg I am I bought it anyway (Think it was about ¥6000).

Easiest way to check if it's genuine is the check for the ZIPPO logo on the bottom and the Bradford, PA markings - as far as I am aware these don't come with any literature indicating they are official SEGA products - nor do any of my other branded videogame ZIPPOs, so don't be put off buying one if they don't. I think it's quite hard to forge the engraving anyway.

T

Yeah that's the one I'm talking about! And yes I did pick it up from a COSPA store, but it wasn't in Shibuya! Paid ¥7000 for mine, which I though wasn't bad seeing as it originally sold for ¥6000 something when new apparently.

I was a little doubtful because I though engraving was pretty easy to bootleg (?) plus the design is pretty simple and on mine the last "1" in the © SEGA 1991 was unfinished!

But after I saw it was Zippo branded I was somewhat convinced it was ok, then the photo of it in an official book reassured me!

Wow. ¥19,000!! I suppose it is nicer and comes in a better packaging as well, probably comes with an official letter/note thingy claiming it as official too!

Wow. ¥19,000!! I suppose it is nicer and comes in a better packaging as well, probably comes with an official letter/note thingy claiming it as official too!

Yeah, monstrous price to pay, but 10th Anniversary stuff is my forté, and I've been looking for one for as long as I've known them to exist - it's completed my "famous five" set now, so that's the statue, the ring, the cube, the wine glass and the lighter.

It doesn't come with any official note unfortunately - the only pieces that come with official things are the rings (as they are numbered) and some of the wine glasses have a mini card in from Naka-san...even they aren't any garantuee as it only contains a message (which I have yet to translate).

The presentation of the lighter is fairly odd too, but I've seen another in identical packaging, so I'm more inclined to believe this is a genuine item...seems far too much work to bootleg.

Took some nice high-res shots...

sl734900.jpg

T

Right, this arrived after buying it from Freckles' topic the other day. :)

d8310d62.jpg

ce813951.jpg

cdb76c71.jpg

fb3911a6.jpg

Almost tempted to take some better photos during daylight, this thing looks epic. :0

• Thumbs Up 2

Right, this arrived after buying it from Freckles' topic the other day. smile.png

d8310d62.jpg

wow that got there fast, thanks again!

Those pocket watches are gorgeous...I have been waiting for the right time to buy the set since the prices were steadily dropping, but it seems as though they have hit their lowest point at around $100-110 not including shipping, I guess eventually it will be time to pick them up before they disappear for good.

Edited by PDorr

DSC01031.jpg

I cant believe I finally have one, and the US one no less! The US version is incredibly rare with only 100 made available worldwide (in comparison to the European versions 900). Many of these statues fell into the offices of big gaming magazine companies and large and notable gaming sites within the US. A small majority were given away in contests/giveaways. This particular one was obtained from a GameStop manager who attended a company wide GameStop manager meeting and happened to win a contest drawing out of thousands of other people. I am just so happy to finally own this, I had a dream about getting it in the mail the night before I actually got it and opening it up, and I woke up with my heart pounding LOL, so needless to say I was pretty pumped to open it in real life today

smile.png

Edited by PDorr
  • Thumbs Up 6