Awoo.

Sonic 2 Movie Spoiler Thread (Mostly Untagged Spoilers)

The Deleter

I saw this pointed out to me, and I am actually really impressed by the subtlety. 

When Eggman gets the Master Emerald, he says "Chaos is Power." But in the end of the movie, Sonic's love is what activates his super form, and the emeralds absorb to his chest. Basically, "Power is enriched by the heart." 

I love that the poem is completed in both power up moments. 

• Thumbs Up 7

Since, the next movie is probably going to be based on Sonic Adventure 2, do you think we will likely see San Francisco again from the first movie? It will be cool to see Sonic sliding down the streets of SF like he did in the game. I'm surprised they didn't make a chase scene based on City Escape in the first movie. I guess they didn't make that scene happen probably due to the budget is low.:

170502-1815-Filbert-Street-San-Francisco-United-States.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Since, the next movie is probably going to be based on Sonic Adventure 2, do you think we will likely see San Francisco again from the first movie? It will be cool to see Sonic sliding down the streets of SF like he did in the game. I'm surprised they didn't make a chase scene based on City Escape in the first movie. I guess they didn't make that scene happen probably due to the budget is low.:

170502-1815-Filbert-Street-San-Francisco-United-States.jpg

I guess GUN has still Robotnik's Galvatron truck in storage somewhere...

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, DaddlerTheDalek said:

I guess GUN has still Robotnik's Galvatron truck in storage somewhere...

Oooh! I wonder if GUN will use that truck to chase Sonic in the third movie? That would be pretty epic!

• Thumbs Up 2

I can see Hollywood physics applying that a truck and trailer can crash down those steep hills without getting trashed, and also find the irony of how Sonic caused some chaos trying to stop bank van robbers drawing the interest of GUN in Movie 2, and then GUN causing their own brand of chaos chasing Sonic in Movie 3.

• Thumbs Up 2

You know the team are going to recreate City Escape for the movie. It's both iconic, and would be a bloody great opening to the 3rd movie, and the kids will absolutely eat up Sonic snowboarding down San Francisco (or Seattle, or wherever). 

• Thumbs Up 6

I hope it's in SF because then I can try and be an extra in the movie. 😅

• Thumbs Up 3

So maybe I missed the explanation in the movie, but who were those guys who showed up via portal on the Mushroom Planet? Were they allies of Knuckles, and why did they even open a portal to the planet? Did Robotnik's device send a signal that caught their attention?

5 hours ago, mayday2592 said:

So maybe I missed the explanation in the movie, but who were those guys who showed up via portal on the Mushroom Planet? Were they allies of Knuckles, and why did they even open a portal to the planet? Did Robotnik's device send a signal that caught their attention?

It's explained in the prequel comic. They were working with Knuckles to find Sonic. The beacon using Sonic's quill energy attracted them.

On 4/15/2022 at 12:42 PM, HywelAtTheMoon said:

Awkwafina (or however you spell it) might be an interesting way to go for Amy. Kind and slightly crazy at the same time. 

Nah Awkwafina would fit better as Surge should they ever bring in comic characters.

11 hours ago, AuroraRedwinters said:

I hope it's in SF because then I can try and be an extra in the movie. 😅

Well, the next movie is likely to be filmed in Vancouver again like the previous two movies. So, they might used Vancouver as a stand-in for San Francisco again like the first movie.:

6e0.jpeg

They did filmed some scenes in the real San Francisco. However, it was only a bit. 

So, maybe next time, hopefully they filmed in the real SF, so they can recreate this chase.:

Spoiler

Sonic-Generations-City-Escape.0.jpg

sonic-adventure-2-city-escape.png

Em0-222XMAIONvB.jpg

d3kmpkd-4b4aba68-e9d6-40f9-83b0-d2872c62f6c1.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2NhYjdhYzBiLWI5MmItNGFkYi1iZDVkLTA2MjkzNmJkYTQ1OVwvZDNrbXBrZC00YjRhYmE2OC1lOWQ2LTQwZjktODNiMC1kMjg3MmM2MmY2YzEuanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.o39s4XcI-H7M8jBiwjF_LRMfrkJJ3YeTs2xVQ2Wqfrk

Sonicgen_cityescape2_1.JPG

City_Escape_17.png

23280SG_City-Escape_act2_27.jpg

bf90f80d19d61890f4e9397bd91902df.png

Also, it would be cool to see Sonic smash up cars.:

97c.gif

I think they might go the Sonic X route and have the human dude have Shadow remember Maria's true wish. Also, I kinda want to see Black Doom in later films lol.

36 minutes ago, CraigAmation983 said:

I think they might go the Sonic X route and have the human dude have Shadow remember Maria's true wish. Also, I kinda want to see Black Doom in later films lol.

I think Black Doom could be a great villain for the films of put in the hands of better writers. Same for Mephiles and Infinite.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Boy said:

I think Black Doom could be a great villain for the films of put in the hands of better writers. Same for Mephiles and Infinite.

I would love to see a movie based off of 06. Some cool stuff in there, like Silver for instance.

I rewatched the movie yesterday, still as good.

But I feel like this had a lot of little sub plots instead of a coherent story unlike the first one.

The first movie was about Sonic finding a home, a family, and it was a solid story for how it was built. Here we mostly have:

- Sonic is trying to be a better hero but he's still a kid

- Tails feels weird and insecure about himself and admires Sonic

- Knuckles wants to kill Sonic thinking he destroyed his tribe

- Eggman just wants the ultimate power from the emerald

- Tom wants to be considered as Sonic's dad and mentor, and feels Sonic needs actual friends

- Rachel and Randall wedding plot that is pretty self contained in the middle of the movie

The wedding plot is yeah filler and random but needed to progress the plot somehow, it just feels so different from the rest of the movie that it becomes awkward, but still, it's short and doesn't have extra scenes later so I'm okay with that.

There are too many mini arcs probably. The first movie was simple, it had Sonic and Tom's arcs, this one has a lot more characters and it's more complex to structure and harder to make it a "good movie". 

But I have to say somehow they did it, they made a bigger movie in every possible way that still feels fun (thanks to the humour), the general plot is just dispersive I guess, or fractured into several mini plots. I also feel like these are all enjoyable characters, good introductions for Tails and Knuckles, Knuckles is the highlight because he was used best, but even Rachel feels less annoying than the first one and I guess useful for the plot.

And the music: I get it, people wanted official game music but recognisable music is played REALLY well in the movie, it just gives rythm to the scenes, it works so well, the music choices are great, I'm saying this as a pop music lover. Especially the dance battle with Uptown Funk.

By the way, I need to say that the credits theme "Stars in the Sky" is growing on me a lot, it gives me a '90s Sonic vibe for some reason.

On 4/16/2022 at 9:42 AM, VO.SUPER said:

I saw this pointed out to me, and I am actually really impressed by the subtlety. 

When Eggman gets the Master Emerald, he says "Chaos is Power." But in the end of the movie, Sonic's love is what activates his super form, and the emeralds absorb to his chest. Basically, "Power is enriched by the heart." 

I love that the poem is completed in both power up moments. 

It kind of reminded me of Sonic's Super Transformation in Sonic Adventure, where in happens due to the positive energy bringing the Chaos Emeralds back to their original power.

Did anybody see if Jaleel White who voiced Sonic from the old Sonic TV show from the 90s is in the movie? I remember one of the writers wanted to get him to appear in the movie as a cameo. He mentioned that from a interview 2 years ago. However, I don't think I see him in the movie. Also, I think it was a missed opportunity not including a scene of him trying and spitting out Agent Stone's latte and say "That's no good!" and walk out of the coffee shop. That would be cool.

“I will only hint that we wanna bring in some of the other characters from the games. But, really, it’s all about Knuckles’ love.”

“I hope this is not a spoiler for anybody waiting but I really wanna get Jaleel White involved somehow… he was in a super bowl ad by the way.”

Also, we didn't see Crazy Carl in the movie. It would be hilarious to see something like this.:

4a63b5308af1c1741d34899299168cda99d37922.jpg

Oh well. I guess they were busy with other things.

Also, despite that Crush 40 hint that they were involved in the movie back in August, no Crush 40 music was heard. I heard Paramount didn't want them to be in the movie. Not sure, why. Maybe they already got somebody to do the music before they ask them or they probably want to save them for the next movie.:

• Thumbs Up 1

Had to remove a post.

Politely requesting we don't link to things that contain pirated material.

• Thumbs Up 4

5 hours ago, Zaysho said:

Had to remove a post.

Politely requesting we don't link to things that contain pirated material.

Sorry, my bad. 

Maybe this has been already adressed, but I could not find it... its about the ME

Is there any explanation on why when Sonic holds the master Emerald it looses its color and breaks in pieces? it stays a while in its regular state in Sonic's Hands before it actually crumbles down. Had anyone given any explanation for that?

Also just to clarify, The Master Merald was forgerd to contain the 7 chaos emeralds power, so since now they ar enot inside the Master Emerald, what Power does thios one poses? How Knuckles restored it?

28 minutes ago, dantonvfx said:

Maybe this has been already adressed, but I could not find it... its about the ME

Is there any explanation on why when Sonic holds the master Emerald it looses its color and breaks in pieces? it stays a while in its regular state in Sonic's Hands before it actually crumbles down. Had anyone given any explanation for that?

Also just to clarify, The Master Merald was forgerd to contain the 7 chaos emeralds power, so since now they ar enot inside the Master Emerald, what Power does thios one poses? How Knuckles restored it?

I assumed it was because Robotnik had used all of its power. Or, we're supposed to assume he did.

55 minutes ago, dantonvfx said:

I view it like when Chaos spit the emeralds out and they were blank. The negative energy and all that. And then the power of friendship/love/thing that makes them work again for sonic.

i thought i read it said, and i theorized as such, that the Master Emerald kinda gains it’s chaos emerald negating power due to having them inside for so long. 

Maybe the reforged ME without the seven emeralds is somewhat weaker than the ME with them.

• 2 weeks later...

So I just saw the movie. My review:

It's bad, but at least unlike the first movie it belongs in the genre it should. It's at least a fantasy-sci-fi-adventure-comedy blend movie, instead of a lame bland suburban family comedy with a CGI cartoon character trown in in the style of the live action Alvin and the Chipmunks movies. But yeah, still bad. The comedy, cringy millenial/zoomer memes aside, is extremely old fashined and predictable. If you look past the flossing and the "later hater" stuff, it feels like it was written in 1992. I don't understand why any writer in a post-Simpsons world, not to mention in a world where genuinly unpredictale internet humor exists, would settle for writing these kinds of obvious jokes, at least in a movie that claims to not be exclusively for children. In order for comedy to be funny it has to be unpredictable, you can't expect people to laugh at the exact same jokes they laughed at 30 years ago. Jim Carrey gives a good performance as always in the movie but the material given to him sucks. Oh and that sister-in-law character... My God, she just completely killed the movie for about 5-10 minutes there in the second half. Again, I don't pin this on the actress, but rather on whoever wrote for her and whoever directed her. Watching her scenes felt like watching that obnoxious 2016 Ghostbusters movie, except even worse.

Also, I still can't stand this version of Sonic. I can't stand his voice and I can't stand his attitude, because it comes of as phony and try-hard. He doesn't seem like a cool confident hero but rather like some insecure boy who consciously tries to hide his true self and to impress other teens by being hyper and jokey, but still in a completely lame and inoffensive way as to not make anyone angry. He's no longer a character I can look up to. He's more the kind of character that you wanna give a nudge and be like "dude, I get what you're trying to do, and I understand, I might even have kinda been in your shoes a long time ago, but you're making a fool of yourself and nobody's buying it".

I guess I liked Tails and Knuckles though.

Also, I'm looking forward to Shadow. I really hope they play him straight. That in itself would sorta force this entire cinematic universe into a new tone.