Awoo.

Sonic 2 Movie Spoiler Thread (Mostly Untagged Spoilers)

The Deleter

The Knuckles clan is also responsible for the original forging of the Master emerald, so it's not too much of a stretch to think Knux could have picked up that trick at some point.

I was honestly shocked that Sonic Tails and Knuckles anointed themselves as co-guardians. I was confident that Sonic would entrust the emerald to Knux at the end of the movie and he would be on his way. But I like this new dynamic. Even more bonus points to them almost leaving it behind at the baseball fields. 

Kids will be kids 

• Thumbs Up 5

Figure this is the best place to post this, and it goes off the recent-ish mobile collab that also used Mobius:

Just nice seeing stuff like this haha

EDIT: included link to tweet of collab

• Thumbs Up 4

9 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

Figure this is the best place to post this, and it goes off the recent-ish mobile collab that also used Mobius:

Ha! Good thing I still call them Mobians. 😆

15 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

So, Does this mean the name Mobius is cannon now?

Spoiler

FP2DYnuWQAE8tBe.jpg?width=879&height=702

The novelization of the 2nd movie revealed a HUGE detail. Novelizations are usually made from the near final drafts pre-editing. So if THIS detail was cut from the movie, is it likely going to be retooled for the 3rd? Because then this whole plotline gets a hell of a lot more interesting.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just finished watching the Sonic 2 movie. I would say that this movie is better than the first one. There were a lot more action scenes and the character interactions between Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles were great. I liked how they expanded the lore more. The flashback scene between the Ancient Owls and Echidnas was visually stunning.

Knuckles was pretty much the highlight for me. He was hilarious and enjoyed his warrior attitude. I liked how here Knuckles personally knew and grew up within the Echidna Clan unlike in the games where he barely knew them due to them being long gone. I'm curious how they disappeared though, Perfect Chaos presumably?

I liked how they expanded the lore more. The flashback scene between the Ancient Owls and Echidnas was visually stunning. While there are some problems with the movie, overall I think it was good. Wondering how the next movie will work with Shadow.

Quick question about something I noticed about Sonic in this movie...

Spoiler

I noticed he referred to Robotnik as "Eggman" a few times in this. I don't remember Sonic calling him Eggman in the first and it's not like this version of Robotnik has that "egg" shape.

If so... Did anyone else find that a little jarring? 

7 minutes ago, AuroraRedwinters said:

Quick question about something I noticed about Sonic in this movie...

Hide contents

I noticed he referred to Robotnik as "Eggman" a few times in this. I don't remember Sonic calling him Eggman in the first and it's not like this version of Robotnik has that "egg" shape.

If so... Did anyone else find that a little jarring? 

https://sonic.fandom.com/wiki/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_(film)/Transcript

3 times, they establish a Nicknaming thing early on to pay off with egg shaped robots being the reason.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll sum up what I liked and what I hated in 2 lines from the movie. What I liked. 

Eggman " YOU CAN'T BEAT ME!" Love you Mike.

What I groaned at and hated.

Sonic " Thanks Dad!" 

That is all.

While I understand why people feel it's too soon to introduce Shadow--and most likely, adapt Sonic Adventure 2--when you consider the circumstances, of what games the film series is adapting, what it has chosen to do so far, and the catching up it has to do, I feel it makes quite a bit more sense.

Though I like it, I think it's fair to say the first Sonic movie only adapts the first Sonic game very loosely.  As in, about the only things it has alike to the game are the hero and villain.  But they made up for it in the Sonic 2 movie, and one of the reasons they can get away with cramming three Genesis games worth of plot into one movie, is that they don't have that much plot to cram.  Provided you don't consider visiting each level in the game to be the key plot points and instead define the key plot points as moments when a certain character does a thing to change the status quo, I think they did just fine with the important bits from the games.  While most people would rather these movies were set more in Sonic's world, it must be allowed that in the games themselves in that era, "Sonic's world" didn't mean much more than an art style and in the original canon there wasn't even any policy of it being a separate world from ours. 

Meanwhile, fastforwarding a bit to the Adventure era makes sense for this movie series because that was when the world of Sonic games bore the most resemblance to the new movie series' world--that is; more or less the human world but with the occasional anthropomorphic animal and ruins from lost civilizations of more anthropomorphic animals.  Also, while some are maybe a bit bummed there was no Death Egg in the Sonic 2 movie, keeping it out allows the ARK to feel more like a unique setpiece, and it was always a far better-realized use of the space archetype.  But a question some people will have is, why skip Sonic Adventure 1? 

Looked at in terms of building a Sonic cinematic universe and catching it up to the games, it's likely because most of the stuff central to SA1 wasn't really touched much afterward.  The Chaos Emeralds, Master Emerald, and Super Sonic had already been established and most of SA1's plot was still about those, and though the Echidna tribe and Chaos certainly helped to establish more backstory for the series, they weren't used much afterward, partially because this series didn't know when to stop establishing more backstory.  They kept dumping more Lovecraftian monstrosities on the grill just so they could have another super battle against a giant at the end, and the thing many writers don't seem to get is that going that big can only be impressive once.  For this reason, I'm less bothered than maybe some people here that these movies aren't going in too deep with lore, as why should I really care at all about Chaos or Black Doom or Iblis or Dark Gaia when Sonic Team itself hardly cared about them past one game?

So it's onward to Sonic Adventure 2, likely, and one of the benefits of this is that it gives a chance to explore Robotnik's backstory; a big deal both because he's one of the characters that doesn't just get retired after one game and because Jim Carrey's performance is one of the big draws of the movie series.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Scritch the Cat said:

While I understand why people feel it's too soon to introduce Shadow--and most likely, adapt Sonic Adventure 2--when you consider the circumstances, of what games the film series is adapting, what it has chosen to do so far, and the catching up it has to do, I feel it makes quite a bit more sense.

Though I like it, I think it's fair to say the first Sonic movie only adapts the first Sonic game very loosely.  As in, about the only things it has alike to the game are the hero and villain.  But they made up for it in the Sonic 2 movie, and one of the reasons they can get away with cramming three Genesis games worth of plot into one movie, is that they don't have that much plot to cram.  Provided you don't consider visiting each level in the game to be the key plot points and instead define the key plot points as moments when a certain character does a thing to change the status quo, I think they did just fine with the important bits from the games.  While most people would rather these movies were set more in Sonic's world, it must be allowed that in the games themselves in that era, "Sonic's world" didn't mean much more than an art style and in the original canon there wasn't even any policy of it being a separate world from ours. 

Meanwhile, fastforwarding a bit to the Adventure era makes sense for this movie series because that was when the world of Sonic games bore the most resemblance to the new movie series' world--that is; more or less the human world but with the occasional anthropomorphic animal and ruins from lost civilizations of more anthropomorphic animals.  Also, while some are maybe a bit bummed there was no Death Egg in the Sonic 2 movie, keeping it out allows the ARK to feel more like a unique setpiece, and it was always a far better-realized use of the space archetype.  But a question some people will have is, why skip Sonic Adventure 1? 

Looked at in terms of building a Sonic cinematic universe and catching it up to the games, it's likely because most of the stuff central to SA1 wasn't really touched much afterward.  The Chaos Emeralds, Master Emerald, and Super Sonic had already been established and most of SA1's plot was still about those, and though the Echidna tribe and Chaos certainly helped to establish more backstory for the series, they weren't used much afterward, partially because this series didn't know when to stop establishing more backstory.  They kept dumping more Lovecraftian monstrosities on the grill just so they could have another super battle against a giant at the end, and the thing many writers don't seem to get is that going that big can only be impressive once.  For this reason, I'm less bothered than maybe some people here that these movies aren't going in too deep with lore, as why should I really care at all about Chaos or Black Doom or Iblis or Dark Gaia when Sonic Team itself hardly cared about them past one game?

So it's onward to Sonic Adventure 2, likely, and one of the benefits of this is that it gives a chance to explore Robotnik's backstory; a big deal both because he's one of the characters that doesn't just get retired after one game and because Jim Carrey's performance is one of the big draws of the movie series.

1. First movie was barely an origin story because of the budget, they wanted to have Tails and more worlds but cut it down. I feel like they have done the same thing here by cutting other worlds in favor of Tails and Knuckles, good choice IMO. It was still awesome on Earth.

2. They are fast forwarding now for some reason, and yep they seem to want to take only the essential parts of Sonic instead of crowding in too much.

3. As you said Shadow makes sense, we have Earth as setting, we now have GUN, it's possible they want to explore Robotnik's family and origin next to flesh out Eggman and Jim Carrey might enjoy this and maybe it will make him want to come back for a third time.

It's just that they skipped a lot of games, SA1 in particular, but yeah they can make it work, there is a whole tv show coming before movie 3, I would say look out for that.

About other characters, I dunno you guys but I really want Amy, more than Rouge, I get it she is tied to Shadow and GUN and Knuckles, but Amy is a priority, c'mon, in a perfect world I wish for both Amy and Rouge but it's risky to have all of those characters, essentially everything in 1 movie.

12 hours ago, VO.SUPER said:
  Hide contents

FP2DYnuWQAE8tBe.jpg?width=879&height=702

The novelization of the 2nd movie revealed a HUGE detail. Novelizations are usually made from the near final drafts pre-editing. So if THIS detail was cut from the movie, is it likely going to be retooled for the 3rd? Because then this whole plotline gets a hell of a lot more interesting.

Spoiler

Prof. Pickle!? Oh I like this. I hope we see him in the future.

I saw the movie as soon as it opened here on the 31st. I loved it a lot! I'd probably give it an 8/10.

I liked the wedding scene a lot more than most. I actually found the whole scene hilarious, especially the GUN reveal and Rachel hamming it up. 

I personally wasn't a fan of Sonic's actions the minute Tom and Maddie left for their vacation. He came across as way too childish. He could have been a little bit more mature. 

The soundtrack is literally BEGGING for some proper Sonic music! The soundtrack is so disappointing and and forgettable. This movie would have been perfect for the orchestral version of His World (Solaris Phase 2). 

Here's hoping Fowler returns for 3 and wrangles with the Paramount executives to let him use music from the games. Hopefully proper music and not just the Classic stage tunes.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really loved how much this movie developed the characters, and how they tied the events with longclaw from the first film into the sequel's  new story.

7 hours ago, Remynaka said:

I'll sum up what I liked and what I hated in 2 lines from the movie. What I liked. 

Eggman " YOU CAN'T BEAT ME!" Love you Mike.

What I groaned at and hated.

Sonic " Thanks Dad!" 

That is all.

I loved that line as I consider Tom and Maddie to be the best sonic parents the character ever had

Just got back from my second showing and loved it even more. A few details I missed the first time

• Longclaw was the last of the owls who they had tracked down thanks to Sonic. She is somehow able to wipe out the last of the echidna civilisation on her own leaving Knuckles the sole survivor. 
  • I'm unsure as to whether or not the echidnas actually wanted Sonic's power as they were more interested in the Master Emerald, but by the time Knuckles finds Sonic his power is unnecessary as Knuckles has his own power. One I think he achieved after he trained his whole life. 
  • The Chaos Emeralds leave Super Sonic but we don't see them go far, just out of his body, and while we don't see them enter the Master Emerald once restored, I think it could be assumed they are both one again. The Master Emerald in lore is its own thing, but in this family friendly movie it was made with the emeralds and so should continue as such.
  • The three hunters who arrive to Robotnik first as featured in the comic, is that 100% canon to the plot? Outside of that I see them as being the first to respond to Robotniks signal followed by Knuckles shortly after.

Other than that, great movie. I enjoyed/tolerated the main wedding scene more knowing how long it was, but it really did need shortening. After she does the 'throat slit' it should have cut back to the main story then show Randall's comeuppance before leaving rather than the drawn out confession of love. While I figured the Master Emerald labyrinth was a reference, I didn't see how close it actually was to the game stage. The only thing I really wish was included was a version of the drowning music after Sonic rescues Knuckles! Such a missed reference I now only hear in my head.

I loved the movie. It was great! Not perfect, but still.

Regardless, I noticed a few things in it that were not expanded on.

Like who were those aliens Robotnik defeated at the beginning of the movie before he meets Knuckles?

Also, the two people who were getting married, the last scene they were in made it seem like their story ended abruptly. I do think they should have expanded on that a bit more.

One other thing, while my memory may be vague on this actually happening or not, they could have explained more on how Tails found out about Knuckles and Robotnik coming over to Sonic near the beginning of the film. You know what I mean?

1 hour ago, Stasis said:

Just got back from my second showing and loved it even more. A few details I missed the first time

• Longclaw was the last of the owls who they had tracked down thanks to Sonic. She is somehow able to wipe out the last of the echidna civilisation on her own leaving Knuckles the sole survivor. 
  •  

How incompetent are the echidnas? Taken out by 1 owl... I hope we get to know more about the scene.

54 minutes ago, CrystalMaelStorm said:

I loved the movie. It was great! Not perfect, but still.

Regardless, I noticed a few things in it that were not expanded on.

Like who were those aliens Robotnik defeated at the beginning of the movie before he meets Knuckles?

Also, the two people who were getting married, the last scene they were in made it seem like their story ended abruptly. I do think they should have expanded on that a bit more.

One other thing, while my memory may be vague on this actually happening or not, they could have explained more on how Tails found out about Knuckles and Robotnik coming over to Sonic near the beginning of the film. You know what I mean?

Tails is basically a stalker iirc, he found about Sonic during the electrical explosion I think? With his satellite or something.

As for the aliens at the beginning, it's in the tie-in comic, spoilers for it

Spoiler

They are non-echidna hunters hired by Knuckles to find Sonic

I think something to consider. These films may not follow the games villains or plots at all. I know some have said Chaos or Metal Sonic, etc. But honestly they could make someone exclusive for the film series. Which honestly as long as they flesh them out would prefer. If I cared to see the games overall plots again i could just go to movie viewer in said games. I enjoy seeing this universe take on things so far. Though I am guessing a big plot of 3 will be Shadow doing things around the world and Sonics "Mom and Dad" thinking their boy is turning bad and lying to them that he is not doing it. Till they reveal its Shadow about halfway through the film. Like see I told you guys.

They sure do have a lot of kids now though lol

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Red Hot Jack said:

Tails is basically a stalker iirc, he found about Sonic during the electrical explosion I think? 

As for the aliens at the beginning, it's in the tie-in comic, spoilers for it

Hide contents

They are non-echidna hunters hired by Knuckles to find Sonic

Interesting. Thanks for telling me this. Still, while Tails knew of Sonic through the electrical explosion as you said, I wonder how that ties in with him finding out Knuckles and Robotnik were coming for him?

16 minutes ago, dudebro1993 said:

How incompetent are the echidnas? Taken out by 1 owl... I hope we get to know more about the scene.

Well, if the flashback sequence is to be taken literally, 4 owls took down the Echidna that was juiced on the Master Emerald.

The only characters in the series confirmed strong enough to TKO a Super Form via suckerpunch are Shadow and Knux, so at least 1 of those 4 Owls (if not all 4) must have been a real beast.

While there is still room for something else to swoop in and grab the credit for wiping out the Echidna's, We also shouldn't be selling Longclaw short. Momma Bird was a warrior clan decedent. She could fight.

• Thumbs Up 1

Some references I noticed (that haven't been picked up on yet):

Miles Electric's translator going wrong. All it resulted in in Sonic Colours was a brief headshake from Sonic and Yakker. Here, Sonic and Tails got into a dance fight.

Tails' "Spring Bomb". In fact, Maddie and Rachel's infiltration reminded me of Iron Man 3 where Stark raided a mansion with a bunch of homemade weapons. 

The "Winter Soldier" jibe was a bit of foreshadowing (no pun intended) for the Shadow reveal.

"The woooorst!" This was what Ben Schwartz said in Parks and Recreation. 

Super Sonic's chilli dog summon. The first glimpse of Chaos Control?

The camera panning around Sonic in the Labyrinth scene before he runs to the ME chamber looked exactly like the beginnings of most Sonic Unleashed stages.

Credits: the camera panning around the Giant Egg Robo/Death Egg Robot reminded me of the Titanic Monarch in the background of Stardust Speedway in the Metal Sonic fight in Sonic Mania.

Several Sonic Advance sprites in the credits.