Awoo.

Sonic 2 Movie Spoiler Thread (Mostly Untagged Spoilers)

The Deleter

7 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Finally - Shadow. I'm cautiously optimistic about him. I will admit, I was actually hoping for Chaos to appear - especially because this film in particular was so focused on the Echidna tribes, and the power of the emeralds, and such - it seemed to really be leaning in that direction of the echidnas tampering with powers that they just do not understand.

But with how this film ended, I 100% understand why they chose Shadow - a key component of this movie was Sonic, Tails and Knuckles forming a friend unit, and working to become a team, meaning we've officially got Team Sonic formed. I can easily see Eggman (if he survived) deciding that he needs a team of his own - and via his research on Gerald, opts in on Shadow to do so, with Rouge likely coming now that G.U.N is involved. All of the puzzle pieces are there for a SA2 adaption, so I understand why. My only wish is I'd like them to stick to the general idea of SA2 that Eggman wasn't really the main villain, and Shadow was stringing him along. We had Knuckles redeem himself here, so I think having Shadow be a villain for most of it up til his sacrifice would work best.

I agree that Chaos would have felt more natural to the story, but Shadow could definitely work too the more I think about it, especially if they do a straight up SA2 adaptation like you said.

I’m a bit worried about how they might handle his backstory though. Shadow has a LOT of lore (which is pretty dark at times too) so idk how it will fit into a 2 hour movie, and if it does, whether it will be watered down to make it more child friendly.

4 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

The one thing that really shocked me here was the freaking Sonic the Comic reference. I was expecting maybe a reference to Archie, but Sonic the freaking Comic? There is absolutely no way you can't tell me that Knuckles' warning, and Sonic's initial fake out lightning storm wasn't supposed to be a reference to Super Sonic being a lunatic in that series.

I can’t find the specific panel, but I know EXACTLY what you mean with the lightning. It was a fantastic fake out in the movie before the preverbal chilli dog dropped. 

15D7434F-A092-4EAE-A873-2005238BD447.webp.64fcbd5fa07a98625c875733be5d9bab.webp

I’m quite biased to STC’s lore having grown up reading this version, but their interpretation of super sonic has always been a standout and novel twist on the premise. I just love that they based him on the fact that they only had gameplay of Sonic 2’s Super Sonic to go off of at the time (and he controlled wildly in the Retro games and was difficult to handle… so therefore… uncontrollable Super Sonic) …it weirdly makes sense 🤣

The force was also strong with Bob Beaky + Tails as well. I mean, there was no beak - but the getup was very on the nose. 

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Piko said:

I’m a bit worried about how they might handle his backstory though. Shadow has a LOT of lore (which is pretty dark at times too) so idk how it will fit into a 2 hour movie, and if it does, whether it will be watered down to make it more child friendly.

I doubt Shadow's lore from his solo game will be used, I can't imagine the Black Arms will make an appearance, that would just cause a convoluted mess, even more so than in the games. Your right tho, how would Maria be handled, she's an important part of his backstory, but it is rather dark for a kids movie, but surely they wouldn't ditch it.

Also it will be interesting to see how they handle his creation. Sonic was young and apparently hadn't left his planet prior to Longclaw's death. But now we know Earth had been visited in the past by the Owl Tribe. Perhaps some hedgehog people's had come through with them and the military captured one, or had a quill of their own or some such?

• Thumbs Up 2

For those who already watched, is there any Sonic songs in this (save the Green Hill Zone ringtone)? Emerald Hill, Eggman's boss theme from S2, or God forbid, Ice Cap?

1 hour ago, Tenko said:

I doubt Shadow's lore from his solo game will be used, I can't imagine the Black Arms will make an appearance, that would just cause a convoluted mess, even more so than in the games. Your right tho, how would Maria be handled, she's an important part of his backstory, but it is rather dark for a kids movie, but surely they wouldn't ditch it.

Also it will be interesting to see how they handle his creation. Sonic was young and apparently hadn't left his planet prior to Longclaw's death. But now we know Earth had been visited in the past by the Owl Tribe. Perhaps some hedgehog people's had come through with them and the military captured one, or had a quill of their own or some such?

I feel like we aren’t giving them enough credit here. It’s not as if they shy away from death because of the age demographic, we see Longclaw being pelted with arrows, before she’s swarmed by echidnas, and she’s explicitly said to be dead. Hell, in this movie alone, literally *all* of Knuckles’s clan ends up being slaughtered in a war, as well as the echidna general using the Master Emerald to destroy his enemies.

I really don’t get where this sentiment comes from. The movies have not shyed away from this material as of yet, and it’s not as if Maria’s death was explicitly shown in depth in either SA2 or Shadow, to the degree Shadow was edited to censor it. Hell, even Archie and X was able to stick to Maria’s backstory, despite being for kids. There’s no reason they wouldn’t tackle Maria’s death, they’d probably just try to tiptoe around aspects like the games and other media has done.

• Thumbs Up 4

23 minutes ago, Jango said:

For those who already watched, is there any Sonic songs in this (save the Green Hill Zone ringtone)? Emerald Hill, Eggman's boss theme from S2, or God forbid, Ice Cap?

Just the Green Hill ringtone. Can't say I heard any others. 

44 minutes ago, Jango said:

Yeah, I didn't recognise anything either and I'd like to think I have a good ear for this stuff.  The opening logos use the exact same Green Hill + SEGA chant score as the original film too (which isn't a bad thing, lovely piece of music, but shame).

On the subject of music, maybe this is a specific pet peeve, but I think this film REALLY overdid the thing where there's a pivitol moment in an action scene where the energy shifts, and they start up a piece of insert music (such as Sonic slow-moing through all the missiles during the ice chase to the well-known but old slow, pretty song that I forget, or Robotnik starting up his final mecha with whatever that rock song was - didn't sound like part of the score) for 10 seconds before cutting back to normal film score.  It always comes across as if the music choice is meant to be a joke (like omg look at our wacky music choice for this scene, it's so irreverant!  laugh!!!) I found it jarring with how often they did it and how they never actually commit to it for even a minute.  I have no idea what that song was for the final mecha but it feels like it would've been way cooler if it actually continued into at least the first part of the fight scene, dang.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

Sorry to keep bringing this up, but I’m getting mixed messages as to how much Tails is in this film. Some say he’s in it a lot, others say he in it a bit but are wanting more, especially as people are saying he’s out of focus, under-utilised or a let down!

I have been feeling very anxious about this. I don’t want my favourite character to feel like an afterthought. Please help! 

9 minutes ago, MGA_Gamer said:

Sorry to keep bringing this up, but I’m getting mixed messages as to how much Tails is in this film. Some say he’s in it a lot, others say he in it a bit but are wanting more, especially as people are saying he’s out of focus, under-utilised or a let down!

I have been feeling very anxious about this. I don’t want my favourite character to feel like an afterthought. Please help! 

Imma be completely honest. You should asking people here and just wait until the movie is out and see it for yourself.

I know you said you have anxiety and all, but you're really not doing yourself any favors by obsessing about this without seeing the movie.

Another thing I was pleasantly surprised by - after the wedding scene, they have a part where I thought they were going to explicitly show Sonic as being in the wrong and doing too much on his own - which is Sonic deciding he needs to take responsibility and go alone to try stop Eggman from taking the emerald when he was the only one who could make it in time.

I really was expecting them to do the cliche option of Sonic getting his ass handed to him because he did so, but no. It’s actually treated as if Sonic did the right call - he really was the only one fast enough to reach, and get through the labyrinth to stop Eggman, and his fight with Knuckles is not only great, but it’s treated as a very equal fight this time. It honestly was the best call imo because letting Sonic be right here did a very, very good job of giving him the development Movie Sonic really needed the most - independence. The fact he’s making these calls on his own now and living with it irregardless of consequence is a nice step in the right direction, even if I feel they still have a little more to go.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, Stasis said:

Just the Green Hill ringtone. Can't say I heard any others. 

Now that's lame. It would've been awesome if they sprayed just a bit of some famous songs melody here and there, just enough to send shivers down our spines. It doesn't have to be theactualsong.mp3 but just an inch of it.

I saw the movie and I loved it, the first one and this one I think could be the best video game movies ever

So I just got back from the cinema to see it.  Gotta say I really enjoyed it not only as a family friendly film, but even as a Sonic fan.  The film reminds me very much of the films such as Paddington or Peter Rabbit.  Very simple script writing, nothing too in-depth and complex for the side stories, specifically the G.U.N. agent having a wedding as a rouse to get Sonic to be captured.  Or even Knuckles being a simpleton for humorous reasons.  

While I do think Knuckles could have been played a little better and not treated like a complete and total numb-brain (I'm specifially referring to the "dot, dot, dot" etc lines) as in 3&K he wasn't an idiot, he was deceived because he didn't know who to trust when he met robotnik on Angel Island.  His sense of honour and soldier mentality was very entertaining.  You can tell he's trying to live up to his father and tribes legacy.

For me my favourite things were the references.  G.U.N. being shown, Super Sonic almost being insane and merciless for the split second being a Sonic the Comic reference and I think my favourite was Knuckles at the end asking if Ice Cream has grapes, Knuckles favourite snack.

I enjoyed seeing Tails still being shown as someone who looks up to Sonic but still not his own person yet.  It gives him potential for a coming of age story in the later films or TV series. But ofcourse this was still Sonics coming of age story so their was only so much they could do with a 2 hour long film.

And ofcourse, the Shadow announcement in the post credits scene got me incredibly excited for whatever they plan to do with him for the future of the film series.  But from the looks of things, unless I missheard something, it seems like the Ark is not gonna be the hidden base for him.  and the chamber his was in looked like an ice capsule, so maybe an Antarctic base, who knows.  I'm curious to see what they'll do with him.

• Thumbs Up 3

Back from watching the sequel and I enjoyed it a lot more than the first movie. Much better story & action scenes. Enjoyed the banter between Sonic, Tails, Knuckles & Eggman. Elba won me over as Knuckles. Colleen was good as Tails-think I like her performance in the movie more than the games (that's down to better writing for her in the movie than the games). The pacing was mostly good and the movies length felt about right.

Spolier talk:

Spoiler

I liked the surprise of Knuckles meeting Eggman in the mushroom planet which I wasn't expecting.

The Shadow post-credits scene (which I managed to avoid getting spoiled before I saw the movie) is exactly as I (and probably everyone else has) predicted, lol. The scene itself was maybe a tad underwhelming but it's got me intrigued for Movie 3. Wonder if they'll bring in Gerald Robotnik & Maria (as a flashback etc)? Personally I hope Amy appears as well. With Shadows reveal I think a Metal Sonic appearance is less likely.

The music was nothing special. Kinda disappointing to be honest.

The movies pacing was good apart from the middle sequence with the whole GUN reveal. Whilst it was nice for Rachel, Tom & Maddie to have more screen time, the whole rescuing Sonic & Tails from GUN scene was very cringeworthy and kinda dragged.

Tails hitting Knuckles with a car was brilliant and Knuckles jokingly saying later on something like, "you'll never see my revenge coming, Fox" was perfect 😅

Also like how Tails carried Sonic and then Knuckles at one point. Oh and Knuckles crushing Eggman, Agent Stone & Sonic's hand was gold.

Elba's portrayal; Knuckles being incredibly strong but gullible felt very true to the character.

The Sonic & Knuckles fights felt evenly matched which I liked.

I guess the whole Master emerald lore in the movie is...okay. Not sure how the Master Emerald was reformed without the chaos emeralds, but whatever.

Think both Knuckles & Tails had a good amount of screen time (even if Tails was unconscious for what felt like a long time).

Interesting they didn't show if Eggman has survived (although we know Agent Stone did), but regardless as to whether Carrey is going to retire or not, I do think he'll come back for at least one more movie. Will be gutted if he doesn't.

Definitely recommend the second movie and I will watch it again. Bring on Movie 3!

• Thumbs Up 6

Spoiler

Knuckles had me laughing with "You think your puny robots will be a match for... oh wait, they're stairs" and "I'm 1,000,000% muscle" In regards to the rest, he's not dumb but a bit simple. Great version of him.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

Just thinking... Penders is gonna go crazy that you see Knuckles Dad isn't he?

Penders is a deluded idiot. 

1 hour ago, MooreThanCosplay said:

For me my favourite things were the references.  G.U.N. being shown, Super Sonic almost being insane and merciless for the split second being a Sonic the Comic reference and I think my favourite was Knuckles at the end asking if Ice Cream has grapes, Knuckles favourite snack.

Apart from the disappointing lack of musical references or cues, the callbacks where insane - I especially loved the slippy slide slopes of labyrinth as sonic fell into the maze in the classic sliding pose. 

Also the G.U.N. Helicopter had “SA-2” printed on the top which was a sweet touch. 

1 hour ago, MooreThanCosplay said:

And of course, the Shadow announcement in the post credits scene got me incredibly excited for whatever they plan to do with him for the future of the film series.  But from the looks of things, unless I missheard something, it seems like the Ark is not gonna be the hidden base for him.  and the chamber his was in looked like an ice capsule, so maybe an Antarctic base, who knows.  I'm curious to see what they'll do with him.

Unless I’m misunderstanding your comment - in the game, Shadow is never discovered on the ARK and is held within a Top Secret G.U.N. Facility in cryogenic stasis until Eggman wakes him up. Shadow merely leads Eggman along to get back to the Space Colony. 

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, Son-icka said:

Unless I’m misunderstanding your comment - in the game, Shadow is never discovered on the ARK and is held within a Top Secret G.U.N. Facility in cryogenic stasis until Eggman wakes him up. Shadow merely leads Eggman along to get back to the Space Colony. 

Oh yeah, been a while since I played SA2, forgot he was found on Prison Island.

• Thumbs Up 2

From what I'm hearing, I'm very glad that Knuckles isn't completely humorless here while still being a powerhouse. I'm fairly certain fans are going to argue how he shouldn't be dumb at all and whatnot, but I feel like you can get a good balance of a Knuckles who's dumb but still competent in his own way. 

• Thumbs Up 4

I've personally never been a massive fan of Shadow so naturally I wasn't that excited to see him introduced.

I would have preferred to see the data in Robotniks files for a metal version of Sonic (via the Quill) I feel that would have been the next step that followed the storyline a bit better. Introducing Shadow feels a bit rushed to me and where do we go from there? 

I would have also preferred it if Sonic and Knuckles mutually agreed for Knux to return home with the master emerald and guard it leaving Sonic and tails on earth. I feel Knuckles works better as a lone wolf and whilst I enjoyed his naivety & humour in this movie I feel it could quickly become sonic boom knuckles.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, MGA_Gamer said:

Don't worry about it, he's in loads of scenes. You will love it!

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, MGA_Gamer said:

I wish he was in it more, but I am a massive Tails fan, of course I wanted him to be in it more. Who wouldn’t want their favourite character to be in it all the time? Don’t worry, even though I wish he was in a few more scenes I absolutely adored every moment he was in and even when he was unconscious the care and concern Sonic showed for him made up for his lack of responsiveness XD It’s mentioned a bunch of times that Tails is only a ‘little fox’, he’s still finding his feet as a hero in this movie, heck he isn’t even intending to BE a hero or go on this adventure at all until Sonic convinces him to come along (with an ‘unbreakable promise’ to keep him safe that he later broke XD whoops). I’m sure there will be more in Sonic 3.

My favourite moments in this film though were entirely the ones between Sonic and Tails and in my humble opinion they were more heartfelt than any other scene. Yes even the ones with Sonic and Tom because I don’t care for that relationship that much.

(Also Tails hitting Knuckles with a car was brilliant XD)

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Kuzu said:

From what I'm hearing, I'm very glad that Knuckles isn't completely humorless here while still being a powerhouse. I'm fairly certain fans are going to argue how he shouldn't be dumb at all and whatnot, but I feel like you can get a good balance of a Knuckles who's dumb but still competent in his own way. 

It also really needs to be stressed when people argue about it that people aren’t saying Knuckles should be a genius, just not derpshit stupid.

There are fine lines between gullible, ignorant, and stupid—even the smartest can be gullible for something if you really sell them, ignorance is when you just don’t know about something, and stupid is when there’s just no hope for you (seeing, hearing, and knowing the truth, but still believing the lie).

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't really think Knuckles was overtly stupid or anything, especially not like we've seen in the games as of late. He's not just plain stupid, his lack of understanding clearly comes from where he comes from and how he grew up. It's not like he's just stupid for the sake of it, it's basically all but stated that he had to teach himself everything, the same way Sonic did - except unlike Sonic, who was growing up on Earth and had this whole amount of culture, and other people to base himself off - Knuckles was basically just left to fend for himself in the wilderness for a decade, with only whatever he picked up from his father as a child to base himself off.

I don't really see things like him misunderstanding the 'dot, dot, dot' thing in the text messages that Eggman was spying on, and such as too stupid for him. I honestly have my doubts that Knuckles has seen anything remotely technological up close like this before Eggman. It also helps that Sonic and Tails never explicitly refer to him as stupid either - with one mention of Knucklehead coming from Sonic sounding more like he was commenting on how stubborn Knuckles was being, as opposed to dumb. Eggman and Stone are the only ones to actually call him an idiot, and it doesn't mean too much coming from them because they're egotistical geniuses who see literally everything beneath them as idiotic and inferior.

Not to say Knuckles was a genius or anything either, he still had his goofy, naive, and airheaded moments through the movie, but it feels like it's coming from an understandable backstory and place, where he not only didn't have access to cultures and people to learn anything from, he was taught to be a warrior, so he ends up thinking battle is the immediate solution to everything, and he hasn't been around people for very long in his life, so while he does know of traits that he finds desirable in his allies, he doesn't actually understand how to find them. The only real time I can say I feel like they were going too far was the 'base of ball' line at the end. At that point, it felt like they were trying to really angle for the Thor 1 styled misunderstanding of Earth phrases.

• Thumbs Up 5

After seeing the movie. 

Knuckles is basically the Wonder Woman/Thor 1 type. He's the fish out of water trope done right. 

• Thumbs Up 1