Awoo.

MT | Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Movie - General Discussion

Indigo Rush

8 minutes ago, Razule said:

Amy wouldn't have too big of a role to appear. I could see them introducing either Shadow and Amy or Metal Sonic and Amy, over both Metal Sonic and Shadow in one movie.

That's possible, but she clearly won't be as big of a focus. I'm sure I bother a lot of Amy fans when I bring it up but I've never been able to wrap my head around how Amy could be brought it without making the movies messier.

I think the biggest question about Sonic 3, for me anyway, is whether or not Jim Carrey is in it. Remember, Carrey has rarely done sequels in his career. The only sequels to movies he has done is Ace Ventura 2, Dumb and Dumber To, and Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Sonic 3 would be the first trilogy he has ever done in his career. (Although apparently Wikipedia says that Ace Ventura 3 is in development, guess we'll see if that manifests.) Wouldn't be surprised if Sonic 2 ends with Eggman beaten in such a way with no tease of him coming back, leave it ambiguous if they don't know if Carrey is coming back or not.

For my own bet: I think it has to be Shadow for Sonic 3. He's very popular, he has his own personality, feel like you can do alot with him without even needing Robotnik in the plot. Sure there are a ton of celebrities who can provide the voice. Metal Sonic could work but I don't see why you'd choose him over Shadow. Metal Sonic would pretty much have to die at the end of his movie like the OVA, whereas Shadow can live on and appear in future movies or TV shows, unless Metal's personality was changed so that he did talk, and arguably that's too much of a shift already. I'm sure there are ways they could make Metal work, but it just seems easier to just go with Shadow.

• Thumbs Up 1

OMG!  I am beyond hyped for all this!  I never would have thought that Paramount would be announcing Sonic 3 and a Knuckles TV series so soon before the sequel came out!  It definitely shows that they have a lot of confidence in this franchise and I'm really happy about this!  Hopefully, we will see more stories unfold from this franchise, like maybe get some stories from the Sonic Adventure series or even Sonic Unleashed if they go even farther.

• Thumbs Up 2

This is awesome.

Isn't it kinda funny that we went from having... that... design to getting this? I'm happy. Can't wait!

• Thumbs Up 4

6 hours ago, Silvereyes said:

I think the biggest question about Sonic 3, for me anyway, is whether or not Jim Carrey is in it. Remember, Carrey has rarely done sequels in his career. The only sequels to movies he has done is Ace Ventura 2, Dumb and Dumber To, and Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Sonic 3 would be the first trilogy he has ever done in his career. (Although apparently Wikipedia says that Ace Ventura 3 is in development, guess we'll see if that manifests.) Wouldn't be surprised if Sonic 2 ends with Eggman beaten in such a way with no tease of him coming back, leave it ambiguous if they don't know if Carrey is coming back or not.

For my own bet: I think it has to be Shadow for Sonic 3. He's very popular, he has his own personality, feel like you can do alot with him without even needing Robotnik in the plot. Sure there are a ton of celebrities who can provide the voice. Metal Sonic could work but I don't see why you'd choose him over Shadow. Metal Sonic would pretty much have to die at the end of his movie like the OVA, whereas Shadow can live on and appear in future movies or TV shows, unless Metal's personality was changed so that he did talk, and arguably that's too much of a shift already. I'm sure there are ways they could make Metal work, but it just seems easier to just go with Shadow.

Good point about Carrey coming back or not. Makes you wonder what other villains they could adapt for the franchise. As for Shadow I’m admittedly mixed since they’d most likely completely change up his backstory to fit with the lore of the film universe.

13 minutes ago, Johnny Boy said:

Good point about Carrey coming back or not. Makes you wonder what other villains they could adapt for the franchise. As for Shadow I’m admittedly mixed since they’d most likely completely change up his backstory to fit with the lore of the film universe.

I mean, they would have to obviously. To what degree is the biggest question.  

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Zoomzeta said:

I mean, they would have to obviously. To what degree is the biggest question.  

I know things will have to be changed up, since that’s the point of an adaptation. I guess I’m just really attached to Shadows game backstory as a fan but as long as the films aren’t subject to those stupid mandates regarding how Shadow is written then fine.

If Jim Carrey doesn't come back, I really hope they don't kill the character, but instead cast another Eggman. You can't just KILL Eggman.

4 hours ago, Razule said:

He dies and gets replaced with a version from another dimension. Sounds like an idea someone else did already..

Either they get away with it and we get Robo-Robotnik in the movies or Viacom's lawyers give Penders the humbling he needs.

this movie is shaping up to be really freakin good. the first one was kinda meh, saw it twice since it came out. but this one? holy moly, this is what little freak dreamed of 24 years ago. I really hope that they haven't shown a lot of in the trailers and that there are a lot of surprises to be seen when it finally releases. fingers crossed for the actual death egg..I mean you can't have the death egg robot and not a death egg, right?

I also really like how robotnik is slowly getting crazier, I wasn't a big fan of him in the first movie. This time I'm actually really looking forward to the movie.

• Thumbs Up 1

Regarding what to do if Jim Carrey doesn't want to do any movies beyond 2, I would assume they announced this knowing they have him signed on for at least three movies. If he doesn't want to do it after that, I guess have something happen to Eggman in the third movie that so he can return as a fat-suit and prosthetics-heavy Eggman played by a different actor in the forth movie onwards.

--Or, I suppose the other way you could go about it is adapt SA2 so that Gerald Robotnik is somehow the main villain now (time travel...? Austin Powers-style freezing?). Or Eggman Nega could take over? (I don't actually know what an Eggman Nega is. I haven't played the games with him in.)

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm pretty confident Jim Carrey signed for a trilogy, nothing less, nothing more. However he may return if they offer him a solo film as a protagonist. Or over-paid cameos maybe.

I'm sure the question will be asked as it was in 2020 on whether he will return, he is attending to press events like the one by IGN on Saturday.

I can definitely see Eggman Nega or an alternate version or new character related to Eggman for future movies, otherwise they should reboot the series but with this incoming universe franchise... Doubt it.

• Nice Smile 2

15 hours ago, Sapphirine Wind said:

This is awesome.

Isn't it kinda funny that we went from having... that... design to getting this? I'm happy. Can't wait!

Yeah!  Imagine what would have happened if they didn't changed Sonic's design in the first movie.  We probably wouldn't be getting all of these good things with the movies.

• Fist Bump 2

Would very much prefer Metal Sonic over Shadow for the third film. Just go all-in Sonic 3-- Sonic vs. Metal Sonic on the Death Egg

Regarding the future of Eggman if this branch of the franchise keeps going for a movie or two beyond him... Could he be a voice actor? Or if not, Eggman gets distorted into a cartoony figure with a different voice, maybe as a result of his madness.

It's so hard to figure. Eggman's such a huge part of Sonic, I think he hasn't been in like... one game. Imagining Sonic without Eggman is just hard, unless you really change some things around. And it doesn't help that Sonic doesn't have a big rogues gallery that the average person can recognize.

Guess only time will tell.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Sapphirine Wind said:

Regarding the future of Eggman if this branch of the franchise keeps going for a movie or two beyond him... Could he be a voice actor? Or if not, Eggman gets distorted into a cartoony figure with a different voice, maybe as a result of his madness.

It's so hard to figure. Eggman's such a huge part of Sonic, I think he hasn't been in like... one game. Imagining Sonic without Eggman is just hard, unless you really change some things around. And it doesn't help that Sonic doesn't have a big rogues gallery that the average person can recognize.

Guess only time will tell.

If they needed to, they could rework some game villains to act independently or pull in some comic villains. Dr. Starline, Infinite, Black Doom, and Mephiles, for example.

FLz4zP2VIAMczOb.thumb.jpeg.77ed24f8198a8e26afa3ce0a0dc0886b.jpeg

The new poster really makes it clear that they see Knuckles as a much bigger moneymaker than Tails. I feel like I'm living in some weird bizzaro-world where Knuckles didn't get shafted for two decades while the other classic characters where used constantly.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

FLz4zP2VIAMczOb.thumb.jpeg.77ed24f8198a8e26afa3ce0a0dc0886b.jpeg

The new poster really makes it clear that they see Knuckles as a much bigger moneymaker than Tails. I feel like I'm living in some weird bizzaro-world where Knuckles didn't get shafted for two decades while the other classic characters where used constantly.

Knuckles get's the full on badass villain treatment here. Tails is more like the charming new sidekick. Both look good and i'm happy about it.

I can't help but wonder though, if Sonic was to get a fourth movie, a fifth movie, a sixth etc, would you really want Eggman in all of them? Yes, Eggman is a staple of all the video games, but let's be real, nobody but Sonic fans buy Sonic games for the plot. Sonic's status quo is fine for the games cause that is not what they are sold for. Movies however, where you have to sell an audience a reason to see your movie for an expensive cinema ticket, you need to keep introducing exciting new things, plots, characters etc to keep things interesting. (Part of the reason why I think Sonic Movie 3 will need to introduce at least 2 more Sonic characters is because Sonic Movie 2 introduced Tails and Knuckles.) Do you really want the same villian to fight every movie, even with secondary antagonists? I don't think that is viable. I think Movies 1-3 forming a "Robotnik Trilogy", if you will, would make sense. But Movie 4 onwards? Well, they'll have to do more heavy lifting about choosing villians and Sonic characters who aren't reconginisable. Good marketing to get people excited for Silver or Blaze or anyone else showing up. But hopefully if we get a 4th movie, and the SCU is doing well, hopefully it will of built up some loyal viewers in the process.

That new poster is badass! Love that they're keeping a theme of having a ring in the middle, and Jim Eggman looming at the top; much like the first one.

Still seems odd that despite the Tails-themed "2," Knuckles is the bigger focus. (But as a die-hard Knux fanboy I'm not complaining lol)

• Thumbs Up 1

Any thoughts on the likelihood of this? For the record this is the same site that shared that a live action show was in development for Paramount Plus months ago. 

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/exclusive-tails-movie.html

If true, it definitely furthers the idea they are trying to take a Marvel-esque approach in the sense of making more projects about the characters and growing them. I know some people (not me) don't think Tails stands on his own for example based on the games, but if they establish and develop stories for all of these characters to expand on their personalities and motives beyond the surface layer stuff we see in the games, then I think anything is possible. 

• Thumbs Up 2