Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers (2022) | MT | General Discussion (DO NOT discuss leaks here please)

Dreadknux

6 hours ago, SonicFanForLife said:

Make sure to vote for Sonic Frontiers to help it win the game awards! Genshin is closing in fast!

(https://thegameawards.com/brackets/players-voice)

I voted. 

28 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

The OST is up on Spotify btw.

Next year's spotify wrapped may as well be relabeled as the Frontiers ost now.

Also, surprised the cyberspace stages actually have names for each song. I was expecting it to just be "Cyberspace 1-5" and nothing more than that.

Less than 7 hours left to vote and help Sonic Frontiers win the Game Awards!

Spread the word. Spread the link!

(https://thegameawards.com/brackets/players-voice)

As per usual, Ohtani delivered the goods. His best work since Unleashed easily, and the music this time feels more thematically intentioned this go 'round. Feels like the music does a better job carrying the story beats in Frontiers compared to most Sonic games, which is nice. I wish the newcomers got to do a bit more than just the cyberspace levels, but it's a good little preamble to what their future work might consist of. Rintaro Soma's work in particular is pretty excellent.

• Fist Bump 1

22 hours ago, ZinogreVolt said:

As per usual, Ohtani delivered the goods. His best work since Unleashed easily, and the music this time feels more thematically intentioned this go 'round. Feels like the music does a better job carrying the story beats in Frontiers compared to most Sonic games, which is nice. I wish the newcomers got to do a bit more than just the cyberspace levels, but it's a good little preamble to what their future work might consist of. Rintaro Soma's work in particular is pretty excellent.

Honrestly, the bit about the music especially rings true with the boss themes.

Instances like how "Undefeatable" is a great tune used for going up against a domineering force that mopped the floor with you before, but now you're back, stronger than before. Or how "Find Your Flame" is great rendition of positivity against insurmountable odds.

Ohtani really went into overdrive with this one.

A very strong result, Sega got exactly what they wanted with this game. #4 overall and only being behind some of the biggest heavy-hitters in the industry is nothing to sneeze at. What's most curious is that it performed well on every ecosystem available: Switch #2 (only behind Pokemon), PlayStation #5, and Xbox #4. A brand new main Sonic game hasn't made an appearance in the Top 20 in a very long time. The last Sonic games overall to reach Top 20 in release month were Team Sonic Racing at #19 and Colors Ultimate at #13. Frontiers is almost certainly the fastest selling game the series has seen since the Genesis, arguably since Sonic 2. If it's continued sales success in Japan of all places is any indication, it ought to have good legs and be one of the best-selling games in the series.

Compared to Forces, which did not break into the overall Top 20 in its release month at all, only managed to squeeze in at #7 on Switch. The overall increase of the brand's popularity in the past few years, plus overall interest/reception this game received, has done a lot to push it to legitimate success. If they can keep this up and guarantee an overall uptick in quality, Sonic might become a legitimate force to be reckoned with in the games' world again.

EDIT: I took the liberty of compiling sales data for all the games I could find release month data on. It sheds a light on how Sonic usually sells through brand recognition and with merchandising, rather than marketing hype. A lot of games listed here are at least million-sellers, but they don't make huge splashes in their debuts like Frontiers did.

Advance (Feb '02): #18 best-selling game software of 2002 in United States
Advance 3 (Jun '04): #4 best-selling GBA game in its debut month
Shadow the Hedgehog (Nov '05): Did not chart in its debut month
Rush (Nov '05): Did not chart in its debut month
Rush Adventure (Sept '07): Did not chart in its debut month
Sonic the Hedgehog (Nov '06): Did not chart in its debut month, PS3 version released the following month additionally did not chart.
Riders (Nov '06): Did not chart in its debut month
Rivals (Nov '06): Did not chart in its debut month
Rivals 2 (Nov '07): Did not chart in its debut month
Riders: Zero Gravity (Jan 2008): Did not chart in its debut month
Secret Rings (Feb 2007): Charted at #13 in its debut month
Unleashed (Nov '07): Did not chart in its debut month
Black Knight (Nov '09): Did not chart in its debut month [Top 10 only]
All-Stars Racing (Feb '10): Did not chart in its debut month
Colors (Nov '10): Did not chart in its debut month [Top 10 only]
Generations (Nov '11): Did not chart in its debut month [Top 10 only]
Racing Transformed (Nov '12): Did not make general Top 10, #9 on Wii U software
Lost World (Oct '13): Did not chart in its debut month [Top 10 only]
Boom: Rise of Lyric (Nov '14): Did not chart in its debut month [Top 10 only]
Boom: Shattered Crystal (Nov '14): Did not chart in its debut month [Top 10 only]
Boom: Fire & Ice (Sept '16): Did not chart in its debut month [Top 10 only]
Forces (Nov '17): Did not make general Top 20 in its debut month, #7 on Nintendo Switch software
Mania Plus (Jul '18): Did not chart in its debut month
Team Sonic Racing (May '19): Charted at #19 in its debut month, note: it didn't make hardware specific Top 10
Colors Ultimate (Sept '21): Charted at #13 in its debut month, #10 on Nintendo Switch software
Frontiers (Nov '22): Charted at #4 in its debut month, #2 on Nintendo Switch, #5 on PlayStation, #4 on Xbox

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 2
  • Fist Bump 1

On 12/7/2022 at 2:56 PM, LegoFedora said:

Next year's spotify wrapped may as well be relabeled as the Frontiers ost now.

Also, surprised the cyberspace stages actually have names for each song. I was expecting it to just be "Cyberspace 1-5" and nothing more than that.

I am glad they gave them unique names, because it would've been a nightmare to talk about them otherwise.  It's a shame the Open Zone tracks didn't have unique names too (all the combat music is easily identifiable at least).

I haven't listened to the whole thing yet since it's such a time sink, just been listening to tracks on shuffle.  It's a shame that it seems at least some of the open zone songs have fade-outs rather than endings, in fact the one that came up on my shuffle faded out at the end of the loop rather than after the loop point.  I was sort of hoping to edit them together into one long piece for each island, see how that worked.  This'll make things difficult.

I really hope if we get new music in the roadmap content, they release a bonus soundtrack with that stuff - if they do, it'd be great to throw in Tee Lopes' soundtrack for Divergence and maybe an extended DJ mix of the Cyberspace music, perhaps instrumentals of the vocal songs too.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/5/2022 at 7:29 PM, Razule said:

How many of Sonic's combat moves in Frontiers do you guys think are going to carry over to the next game? Since a lot of them seem to be tied to Cyberspace. I'm guessing not the energy projectile moves, or the spin-cycle.

Either cyber space or just chaos energy. 

The Nintendo Switch version of Frontiers has received a downloadable demo in Japan. You can run around Kronos Island for 15 minutes, it looks like. No word yet on other platforms or other regions getting this demo, but I imagine this was done because the Switch version is so far the strongest performing one commercially thus far. In Japan, the Switch version has remained in Media Create's Top 30 software for about 4 weeks now, selling about 3.5k copies average for each week after its 26k opening. Putting this out ahead of Christmas is a good strategy to net more sales from fence-sitters.

EDIT: 

Morio Kishimoto confirms that the demo will be released in other regions at a later date, but it looks like the demo will remain exclusive to the Switch for the time being.

Fki0TvtUEAANn6a?format=jpg&name=large

The Holiday Cheer Outfit DLC is now available to Download, for free, from the Online Game Stores (Nintendo eShop, PS Store, etc)

EDIT: Also, according to the Japanese Sonic Frontiers Supersonic Playing Guide, the official name of the Cyber Space city themed levels is Eternal Highway

• Thumbs Up 3

Sage appears in the December Monthly Sonic Channel Art

FkoDP4SagAACYQR?format=jpg&name=large

Twitter Translation: 

"This is... a present..."

Sage, who received an update to Eggman, a room in the Final Egg base, projected into cyberspace, stares at a big change in his small toes.

"Because my perfect creation looks ugly barefoot!"

Coming soon
Give a gift from the heart

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Promotion 1

So believe it or not, this game got a press kit. And it's not the one that's on TSS home page right now... and Sega sent it my way.

The kit is really cool if not slightly strange. The items are all food themed, and they even include some ingredients to make a Sonic Frontiers themed Katsu Curry. 

So I gave it a go... and then everything went wrong =p 

If you want to try your hand at cooking the curry. 

10vpSp5.png

HJyeRdk.png

Now... This does come with a small PSA warning, as I show in the video at 10:53... The food colouring... it... It turns your tongue and skin green. And it's not easy to wash off. 

Even after brushing my teeth and using the mouthwash for a long time, my tongue was still green several hours later.

But there you go, you can now eat Sonic Frontiers.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

I expected the drop dash to be useless in this game but not only is using it faster than boosting downhill, it can also be used to climb ice.

• Thumbs Up 3

4 hours ago, Badnik Mechanic said:

But there you go, you can now eat Sonic Frontiers.

Waiter, there's rails floating above my dish!

How'd it taste?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

Honestly, I'm not surprised if Kishimoto is true to his word about interacting moreso with the fanbase.

Lord knows, he's already accomplished that better than a lot of devs in the industry. Now, how much effect that will have is yet to be seen, but this is still another good addition to the pot of his redemption arc in the eyes of his critics. 

10 hours ago, DaBigJ said:

So here's an interesting thingy?

I just hope there's a way to toggle between the two, I actually prefer the Ikaruga final boss to most super final bosses.

If not, I'll miss you. May you return to upset people another day Ikaruga.

I'm not going to hold my breath for an overhaul to that extent, but it's good that he's actually responding to feedback in this way. It's reassuring.

1 hour ago, LegoFedora said:

I just hope there's a way to toggle between the two, I actually prefer the Ikaruga final boss to most super final bosses.

If not, I'll miss you. May you return to upset people another day Ikaruga.

I definitely would like it if we got that toggle as well. It's always better to have the option.