Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers (2022) | MT | General Discussion (DO NOT discuss leaks here please)

Dreadknux

3 minutes ago, Gloved Animal said:

That's not an equivalent argument. Of course both parts of the game will have platforming and jumping. Boosting is a more complex mechanic. I don't see the point of having stages dedicated to it if it was in the open world and working well.

The point of having separate stages would be to focus in on tighter, more linear gameplay in contrast to the looser and more freeform open world. The boost would still have plenty of use in the overworld so you could cross big empty spaces in a reasonable amount of time, if nothing else.

4 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

The boost would still have plenty of use in the overworld so you could cross big empty spaces in a reasonable amount of time, if nothing else.

From what we've seen, Frontiers doesn't have many of those. This is the only picture I've seen that almost seems big enough for the boost.

4.jpg

12 minutes ago, NoKaine said:

It was draining because it was pretty long, but it wasn't overly dark. 

What other hook is there supposed to be? It's a Sonic the Hedgehog zombie story, the point is to see your favorite characters in dire situations. You don't and probably won't see a story like that again.

There are zombie stories loaded with over the top action and humor. It could have been that and I think that approach would have fit Sonic better.

11 minutes ago, NoKaine said:

I think when people say "it won't be boosting" they don't mean "there is literally no mechanic for going faster" but "the gameplay and controls will not be the same as the boost games." 

I tend to assume that when people talk about the boost they are talking about the boost.

2 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

From what we've seen, Frontiers doesn't have many of those. This is the only picture I've seen that almost seems big enough for the boost.

*snip*

Literally every area we've seen is an empty field of nothing.

Just now, Slashy said:

There are zombie stories loaded with over the top action and humor. It could have been that and I think that approach would have fit Sonic better.

I think if Flynn wanted to make a Sonic story with over the top action and humor (or, 90% of the comics already), he wouldn't have chosen to do a zombie story.

Like I said, the point is the harsher, darker tone. To make it lighter for the sake of making it lighter (or rather not dark) would ruin the tone. People complain about Marvel humor and quips, because a lot of the time, that's how they use that humor--to subvert the darker tones they may have because Marvel / Disney are too afraid of making their movies "too dark."

Forces is the kind of story you get when you intend to use humor against the tone you set up instead of rolling with it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, NoKaine said:

I think if Flynn wanted to make a Sonic story with over the top action and humor (or, 90% of the comics already), he wouldn't have chosen to do a zombie story.

Like I said, the point is the harsher, darker tone. To make it lighter for the sake of making it lighter (or rather not dark) would ruin the tone. People complain about Marvel humor and quips, because a lot of the time, that's how they use that humor--to subvert the darker tones they may have because Marvel / Disney are too afraid of making their movies "too dark."

Forces is the kind of story you get when you intend to use humor against the tone you set up instead of rolling with it.

Marvel movies at least commit to their serious moments and don't try to undermine stakes. Also they are really really really successful so I am not sure if that's a good hill to die on.

The problem with Forces isn't that it has jokes it is that its tone ping-pongs between overly dramatic moments and cringey comedy without any rhyme or reason. Also it doesn't write either well at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I tend to assume that when people talk about the boost they are talking about the boost.

When people are talking about the boost they are talking about the boost gameplay, which includes not just the literal act of boosting but the controls and elements that supplement the boosting. Sonic Unleashed plays nothing like Adventure for a reason.

I don't think anyone thinks there will literally be no option to make Sonic go faster, but things like "boosting" and its like would be relegated to specific levels meant for it.

An empty field of nothing with a bunch of elevated land and setpieces that aren't inviting to boost gameplay, unless you're meant to break through all those rocks and cliffsides. 

2 minutes ago, Slashy said:

Marvel movies at least commit to their serious moments and don't try to undermine stakes.

Yes they do. They do this a lot.

Ironically, Marvel themselves made a zombie story in What If...? and it is singlehandedly the WORST example of Marvel shoving quips and jokes where they don't belong. One character has to kill a friend by blowing them up from the inside. Do they express remorse or horror? No, they go "Ew, I'm covered in [character]" and move on.

That's like if Cream saw her mother get zombified and just went "Yay, now I don't have curfew!" 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, NoKaine said:

When people are talking about the boost they are talking about the boost gameplay, which includes not just the literal act of boosting but the controls and elements that supplement the boosting. Sonic Unleashed plays nothing like Adventure for a reason.

I don't think anyone thinks there will literally be no option to make Sonic go faster, but things like "boosting" and its like would be relegated to specific levels meant for it.

An empty field of nothing with a bunch of elevated land and setpieces that aren't inviting to boost gameplay, unless you're meant to break through all those rocks and cliffsides. 

Yes they do. They do this a lot.

Ironically, Marvel themselves made a zombie story in What If...? and it is singlehandedly the WORST example of Marvel shoving quips and jokes where they don't belong. One character has to kill a friend by blowing them up from the inside. Do they express remorse or horror? No, they go "Ew, I'm covered in [character]" and move on.

That's like if Cream saw her mother get zombified and just went "Yay, now I don't have curfew!" 

I never watched What If I found it boring. I did like a lot of the other Marvel movies and TV shows if you want to point that out. The only time the quips failed in a Marvel movie was in Captain Marvel and thats only because Danvers came off as overly smug.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Slashy said:

I never watched What If I found it boring. I did like a lot of the other Marvel movies and TV shows if you want to point that out. The only time the quips failed in a Marvel movie was in Captain Marvel and thats only because Danvers came off as overly smug.

Marvel's not as bad about this as people meme it to be, but it's often a good example of how not worrying about being "on-brand" and just letting something be dark, serious, or any other atypical tone is sometimes a good thing.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, NoKaine said:

Marvel's not as bad about this as people meme it to be, but it's often a good example of how not worrying about being "on-brand" and just letting something be dark, serious, or any other atypical tone is sometimes a good thing.

You do get this in the Netflix shows. And I am pretty sure those shows were very hit and miss with Daredevil being the only well agreed upon good one.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

6 hours ago, Coz483 said:

I actually have a small theory on that purple blue energy we saw. When we saw Sonic running from all that stuff suddenly that mysterious energy came right? I think this energy could actually have negative effects since it nearly pushed Sonic off the cliff.

I don't think it's confirmed to be a boost, and if it is one then maybe it will just be in short burst or like my previous theory.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok I suppose in the future when someone says, and I quote, "there won't be any boosting", I will have to assume they are referring to a bunch of things that aren't boosting, but not something that is like boosting but maybe under a different name.

The land is hardly elevatated at all and I see no setpieces besides the towers. Considering the narrow spaces you boost through in other games I don't see how mostly empty space is incompatible with it.

18 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Not big and empty enough for boost to be needed or even the best choice. And wouldn't the boost trivialize the combat that they're incorporating.

sonic_frontiers_screen_1.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

4.jpg

Unrelated, but I realized that this screenshot takes place near the spot where Sonic is standing in the trailer... move forward a bit and go down the hill after those "square" ruins, that's the place.

EDIT: I'm talking of the picture in the post above this lol

It all just looks so... bland to me. 

Like, don't get me wrong. I like open-world games, and am HYPED AS FUCK that Flynn is writing. But everytime I look at these shots, I get none of the depth San Andreas or Kamurocho offer me.

There's no one to talk to, unless your ghost buddy counts. Nothing to do, unless you wanna climb Ubisoft tower after Ubisoft tower. 

Spoiler

I suppose the giant robot at the end is Eggy's new bestie, which should solve the lack of interactions and combat. But still... no Tails or Knux, and even the man himself is absent from the trailer despite Pollock confirming that he'll be in the game proper.

Fuck, we're not even seeing rings. Rings. The most basic power-up seemingly isn't here, so... what the hell do we do in this?

This all seems like a dollar-store Breath of the Wild, and I bounced off that quickly. You mighn't agree, and I do hope there's a lot more here they're keeping under wraps. I want this to be good... but until we see a trailer that tells us stuff, I won't be able to judge one way or another.

• Thumbs Up 1

:wub:   i feel like this really did become part of the inspiration for an open-zone Sonic!!  

prior to the landscapes being revealed it still seemed uncertain;

I am not expecting some of these quite-legendary animation-only maneuvers, but others feel like they may be playable for the first time! 

I really hope Sonic Team fills this world with secrets to discover. I've actually been thinking that something their games have been missing is lots of interesting secrets to find, especially really cryptically hidden ones. I know they've been using red star rings, and those are okay, if rather boring as a collectable (and often easy to find), but I'm thinking something along the lines of Final Fantasy X and its myriad of interesting secrets (weapons, items, summons, super bosses) and quests, despite its extreme linearity.

I'll probably never 100% that game, at least not without a guide, but I still love just how much was put into it and how exciting the secrets are to discover, and though the genres are different that's the kind of thing I think a Sonic game could really benefit from (Crash Bandicoot is another good example of the sort of thing I'd like to see, but simpler, being a platformer rather than an RPG). Especially now that they've gone full "open-zone," and the focus is less on high-speed action gameplay, the player is definitely going to need things to do in the world besides run around and fight enemies, and I think a bunch of cool hidden secrets could make this seemingly empty world a case of "more than meets the eye."

• Thumbs Up 1

This is closer to the art style I'd have wanted for an open world Sonic game. It still has the same problem of lacking Sonic elemens and looking generic, but it's stylized enough it looks like a world he wouldn't stick out in. And it's colorful instead of hyper realistic brown. 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • My Emmerdoods 1

52 minutes ago, Coz483 said:

I don't think it's confirmed to be a boost, and if it is one then maybe it will just be in shirt burst or like my previous theory.

I think it's clear, not confirmed but you see it in the CGI and the leaks did mention it.

1 hour ago, Slashy said:

I think Marvel just tends to force a lot of humour IMO, which kills the mood sometimes, I like Marvel movies but sometimes they are too goofy for my taste, like Thor for example.

Humour should be in anything, it's part of life, it should be part of narrative, although it doesn't make sense in a Zombie story where your deariest friends and family die, it just feels forced because it's serious.

That said I don't think the Metal Virus was as dark as other Sonic stories that were edgy like people dying in 06 and getting shot in Shadow. The only issues I found too bleak were 22 and 24.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Razule said:

This is closer to the art style I'd have wanted for an open world Sonic game. It still has the same problem of lacking Sonic elemens and looking generic, but it's stylized enough it looks like a world he wouldn't stick out in. And it's colorful instead of hyper realistic brown. 

i saw these images on twitter before i saw the trailer and honest to god i thought this was actually Frontiers

then i watched the actual trailer and was so confused

• Thumbs Up 3

20 minutes ago, Razule said:

See? ThisTHIS it what Frontiers should look like. A perfect representation of realistic nature with a Genesis/90s anime twist... not the blah, generic, BOTW-esque garbage they've gone with. Story will be a banger, but I just can't see how the game portion is gonna work out by now.

9 minutes ago, KingMario05 said:

See? ThisTHIS it what Frontiers should look like. A perfect representation of realistic nature with a Genesis/90s anime twist... not the blah, generic, BOTW-esque garbage they've gone with. Story will be a banger, but I just can't see how the game portion is gonna work out by now.

It looks to bland to me; and Frontiers reminds me of Unleashed.

I wonder how much things from Lost World, especially the Legend of Zelda zone (not because of that the game ressemble BotW here, just because it's the most "open world" zone from the game) will be reused/reinvented in this game. I feel that some could be useful, like the parkour, or that the enemies actually exists in Lost World.

Tho no run button please XD (I feel it would have been mentionned in the first leak if it was there tho :'))