Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers - Teaser Trailer

Sonictrainer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

Recent posts about the 'Sonic Frontiers' trademark information has been broken out into its own thread. This thread was originally about the game's announcement trailer way back in May, so it's a bit out of date to be posting significant game updates here.

Please remember to create a NEW forum topic if fresh news about a game has surfaced. This makes it a lot easier for users to find and discuss the latest news on SSMB. The side-chat about 'another solo Sonic game' may also be broken out into its own separate thread, to contain and avoid repeat discussions about it.

6 minutes ago, Graystripe2000 said:

This slipped under the radar last month but, in an interview, Iizuka stated that “we aren’t using the usual action game scheme”. No idea what he means, but it isn’t interesting. https://www.gamerbraves.com/looking-back-on-the-fastest-thing-alive-sonic-the-hedgehog-30th-anniversary-interview-with-takashi-iizuka/

Probably just what we've already heard about Rangers being open world with boost being used for special stages.

Also:

Iizuka: Currently, the only spinoff game is about Shadow the Hedgehog

I guess he forgot about Knuckles' Chaotix, Tails' Skypatrol, and Tails' Adventure.

20 minutes ago, Graystripe2000 said:

This slipped under the radar last month but, in an interview, Iizuka stated that “we aren’t using the usual action game scheme”. No idea what he means, but it isn’t interesting. https://www.gamerbraves.com/looking-back-on-the-fastest-thing-alive-sonic-the-hedgehog-30th-anniversary-interview-with-takashi-iizuka/

I'll add a vote to the "open-world confirmed" list, especially given that it's said to be completely new. For what's it's worth, I also hope this means that Tails will be playable... his style seems perfect for this particular genre of game.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, KingMario05 said:

I'll add a vote to the "open-world confirmed" list, especially given that it's said to be completely new. For what's it's worth, I also hope this means that Tails will be playable... his style seems perfect for this particular genre of game.

Tails would be good, but Knuckles is even better as he already has Link's gliding and climbing from BOTW, and has always been designed around open exploration and combat.

• Thumbs Up 5

Perhaps this is unpopular opinion, but as much as I'd love for the game to have multiple playable characters, I'd honestly want them to get Sonic's gameplay right first. Since it almost pretty much confirmed that the next game will have new gameplay style, I think it makes more sense for them to perfect it with Sonic himself, before applying it to other characters. Otherwise, I'm afraid that it might not work out well

8 minutes ago, phobs said:

Perhaps this is unpopular opinion, but as much as I'd love for the game to have multiple playable characters, I'd honestly want them to get Sonic's gameplay right first. Since it almost pretty much confirmed that the next game will have new gameplay style, I think it makes more sense for them to perfect it with Sonic himself, before applying it to other characters. Otherwise, I'm afraid that it might not work out well

Maybe add in the others as DLC, then? Sorry, but it's just been too damn long since they were playable in 3D for me...

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

And the one time they did get Sonic's gameplay right, they regressed so far that they made the worst Boost game. Almost as if to spite that exact line of thinking.

• Thumbs Up 3

You can get Sonic right and also throw a few other characters in. I'd rather them focus on whatever this new style is supposed to be before they do anything too crazy like alternate campaigns though.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, phobs said:

They've already gotten Sonic's gameplay right several times, they just need to go with one of them. Also people have said that but what if they just don't figure it out? If Sonic's gameplay was to just continue to go downhill, I'd at least like some alternate campaigns that'd make the game worthwhile. Besides, it clearly doesn't make the game much harder to make, as they were able to reinvent Sonic for 3D in Sonic Adventure and still make campaigns for 5 other characters.

For Rangers they could just go back to the tried and true formula of keeping the controls 90% the same and just giving each character a few unique abilities and exclusive locations, it's not all that hard.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1

9 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Also people have said that but what if they just don't figure it out?

Then the game is bad anyway so why would I care how many characters are playable?

10 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Besides, it clearly doesn't make the game much harder to make, as they were able to reinvent Sonic for 3D in Sonic Adventure and still make campaigns for 5 other characters.

SA is kind of a minimally-functional disaster.

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Then the game is bad anyway so why would I care how many characters are playable?

SA is kind of a minimally-functional disaster.

The Sonic part is. The other playable characters being bad is an unknown.

I think most people would disagree with you on that,

5 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

The Sonic part is. The other playable characters being bad is an unknown.

If they were based on the same gameplay as Sonic with just a few moves changed, as you suggested, they almost certainly would all be bad. And even if they were more distinct, wouldn't the main focus have been on Sonic's gameplay, as he's the main character? If they couldn't even get his gameplay right I wouldn't hold out much hope for anyone else's.

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

If they were based on the same gameplay as Sonic with just a few moves changed, as you suggested, they almost certainly would all be bad. And even if they were more distinct, wouldn't the main focus have been on Sonic's gameplay, as he's the main character? If they couldn't even get his gameplay right I wouldn't hold out much hope for anyone else's.

That's assuming they don't just reuse existing gameplay formulas like they did for Classic Sonic.

And I'd argue the Avatar played better than Sonic in Forces, and Shadow, while playing the same, had better levels.

I feel like whether or not SEGA can execute a concept appropriately isn't a good marker of whether the concept was good or bad itself.  If Sonic's gameplay isn't compelling, it's not going to matter whether he is the only playable character or there are other play styles, the game will not be well-received.  Personally, I'd like the chance to play as Tails and Knuckles (at least) again.  If the game is bad, I don't think it's going to be because they spent too much time on other characters.  And at the rate SEGA is releasing games these days, I don't want to wait another 5 years for the opportunity.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just hate that we went a whole decade of Solo Sonic (No, I will not count Mania or Forces- the former was technically not a Sonic Team project, the latter could barely be called alternate playable characters- and the game itself wasn't even good) and the arguments for/against it are more cyclical than the Sonic cycle ever truly was. We've had plenty of bad/mediocre games regardless of Solo Sonic or not, so might as well have other characters playable.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

Everyone please stop. We'll know when it gets here. Trying to fight over how many characters are gonna be playable is a lost cause if we don't have substantial indication over the gameplay (Which will have Sonic as the base) to determine how other characters would even work.

3 hours ago, Zoomzeta said:

Everyone please stop. We'll know when it gets here. Trying to fight over how many characters are gonna be playable is a lost cause if we don't have substantial indication over the gameplay (Which will have Sonic as the base) to determine how other characters would even work.

It's less who will and instead whether they should.

• Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, StellarBlur said:

Any thoughts on this ?

https://zippospeaks.blogspot.com/2021/09/sonic-rangers-likely-has-marketing-deal.html

This is obviously guesswork and not a leak, but I think it's an interesting thing to discuss. The Sonic cameo in that Sony ad is definitely of interest in my opinion.

Would make sense, especially considering that Virtua Fighter 5: Last Round is a PS4 exclusive.

I wonder if that means Ratchet will show up? Sony looooooves its platform exclusives, and the "Rangers" title does suggest multiple playable characters will be taking a starring role. Not likely... but it could happen.

1 hour ago, StellarBlur said:

Any thoughts on this ?

https://zippospeaks.blogspot.com/2021/09/sonic-rangers-likely-has-marketing-deal.html

This is obviously guesswork and not a leak, but I think it's an interesting thing to discuss. The Sonic cameo in that Sony ad is definitely of interest in my opinion.

14 minutes ago, KingMario05 said:

Would make sense, especially considering that Virtua Fighter 5: Last Round is a PS4 exclusive.

I wonder if that means Ratchet will show up? Sony looooooves its platform exclusives, and the "Rangers" title does suggest multiple playable characters will be taking a starring role. Not likely... but it could happen.

Note that this is nothing more than marketing. Sony doesn't really have any real influence on the game even if it's true, and SEGA is unlikely to make any exclusive content since they seem to have better relations with Nintendo and Xbox. If it's true though, it could be a sign that Rangers is going to be a hit.

Hundred games got cameos in that ad. But Sonic of all of them is getting a deal with Sony. Classic Zippo bullshit. He even has the audacity to end his post with: "iF yOu SeE ZiS gUy's ViDeO rEporT iT cuZ its fAKe". 

Ah, bite me.

• Thumbs Up 7

On 6/9/2021 at 10:24 AM, Snowragnarok said:

Furthermore, Black Knight has been vindicated in recent years due to its story. It’s only been de-vindicated even more recently than it’s vindication due to association with whiny Adventure fans. 

I always liked Black Knight, my issue for it was that it felt too short and thus incomplete, especially because both Silver and Jet's knight of the round incarnations should've been incorporated into its story.

9 hours ago, Zaysho said:

Worth noting we banned Zippo outright for basically lying about contacting the staff to validate his claims. He did contact a couple TSS staff members, but nothing was ever verified per Dreadknux's post. I think we should move on discussing his claims altogether.

Nothing wrong if people are curious, but if he says something on his blog or elsewhere it's probably a mixture of wish-fulfillment and the general fandom zeitgeist rather than solid insider information (my personal, recent favorite that was quoted on some gaming news site that he called for a September Nintendo Direct... because there's usually one in September). He's not a trustworthy source, and his attitude when questioned about these things in the past is enough reason to write him off.

Huh, interesting.

We shouldn't treat him as fact, but still, he shouldn't be ignored entirely as he is right enough to be above the average "leaks" online

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/3/2021 at 8:53 PM, KingMario05 said:

Maybe add in the others as DLC, then? Sorry, but it's just been too damn long since they were playable in 3D for me...

And we've been hearing the "get Sonic right first" excuse since 2010. Honestly if we do get more playable characters (not counting DIY avatar) then I want them available from the start, because the Shadow DLC in Forces was so brief and underwhelming. Also with Rangers being an open world game, we could finally get a honest to god 3D game in years; one that isn't reliant on 2D sections taking up more than half the game.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 1