Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers - Teaser Trailer

Sonictrainer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

Recent posts about the 'Sonic Frontiers' trademark information has been broken out into its own thread. This thread was originally about the game's announcement trailer way back in May, so it's a bit out of date to be posting significant game updates here.

Please remember to create a NEW forum topic if fresh news about a game has surfaced. This makes it a lot easier for users to find and discuss the latest news on SSMB. The side-chat about 'another solo Sonic game' may also be broken out into its own separate thread, to contain and avoid repeat discussions about it.

28 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

It sounds fine to me tbh. Not my ideal game but hey, we don't always know what we want. There clearly IS a big story, but it would'vebeen left out of the demo and is likely being done separately from the actual game development. The game's scope seems massive, so a potential delay seems pretty reasonable. 

True. Perhaps I'm just a pessimistic bastard out of paranoia. Until we get a trailer, we won't know for sure, which is why I really hope the game is present at that new State of Play Sony has coming up this week.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, KingMario05 said:

True. Perhaps I'm just a pessimistic bastard out of paranoia. Until we get a trailer, we won't know for sure, which is why I really hope the game is present at that new State of Play Sony has coming up this week.

I don't think they'll start hyping it up until after the Origins collection, but I'm open to being wrong.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

I don't think they'll start hyping it up until after the Origins collection, but I'm open to being wrong.

Hope they give us something soon. Real tired of being fed BS leaks... come on, Sega, give us something concrete.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, KingMario05 said:

Hope they give us something soon. Real tired of being fed BS leaks... come on, Sega, give us something concrete.

Sega: We hear you loud and clear!

Spoiler

*starts paving roads with Sonic-themed concrete* 

Best way to celebrate the 30th.

• Chuckle 1

1 minute ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Sega: We hear you loud and clear!

Hide contents

*starts paving roads with Sonic-themed concrete* 

Best way to celebrate the 30th.

Ha, good one. Still, you what I mean, right?

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, KingMario05 said:

I wouldn't expect it here. The next time they'll talk about it will probably be another Sega/Sonic event. That's how they've discussed the last couple of games.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think we still have some time before the reveal. The question isn't really in how much time they want to tease it compared to now, but how much time they want to have between the reveal (not the teasing, really the reveal) and the release. Most of the time, they're more about having just some month between the reveal and the game.

So if they're still on the same marketing pattern than since Unleashed, I would think we'll get the "reveal" more during spring (if the game is released in the last trimester of 2022).

( Of course, all that become false if they have changed their patterns, or if the game come sooner than November xD )

• Thumbs Up 1

I feel like the only remaining news for Sonic this year is a possible trailer for the movie next year. If they release one in November that's 5-6 months of promotion time so it sounds about right.

Game-wise, It's been said Origins is coming before the movie but I don't think they'll have a particularly lengthy marketing period for it. I could see details on that coming January for a release mid-late March. Means there's a new title (collection or otherwise) on the shelves alongside the movie coming out.

If Sonic 2022 is on track for the usual October/November release then absolutely April/May will be when they start opening the lid on the game. 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Well this is certainly interesting...

Okay, this is interesting, assuming it is true, big IF, I'm gonna comment.

Starting with the positives, I'm glad it looks stunning, and it's high budget, for a change it's really welcome, I'm tired of these restricted releases.

I hope they don't find a way to ruin the graphics, you never know, Sonic is fast... I suggest them doing a lot of polish, unlike Sonic Colors Ultimate, so a 2023 release is eh, tiring but needed, I welcome it as long as we have news throughout the year. I still want some kind of new release though, they need it alongside Movie 2 and Prime, otherwise there is nothing to cash in on.

I'm glad it's nothing like Forces, controls wise, model wise (shorter quills, etc.).

Another cool thing is that they keep things simple, and of course Sonic mentioning Eggman to blame for the digital/cyberspace part to the jungle/forest environment.

No wisps I also like, I would like more skills, or power-ups, upgrades. And hopefully some kind of large DLC expansion as mentioned in the video.

Now... I'm very much meh, or against the concept of this game and how it presents from what it's being said in most leaks. Despite all these good details, I don't like them doing the usual "let's follow the general trend and do it badly", I like Sonic as a traditional platformer, with stages, platforming; everyone basically is doing the BotW trope, the video's source even explicitly says Sonic doesn't fit in the environment, the enemies are monsters that look taken from other totally different games.

I don't mind SEGA trying something new, if only it wasn't in every other game series, not everyone needs to do Breath of the Wild, open world gameplay. I do like the mention in the video of Sonic Jam, but that was more like a hubworld. I'm also perplexed about the Green Hill and Chemical Plant knock-offs (again). At least the cyberspace levels don't look all the same, I guess?

• Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, Jack-al said:

Starting with the positives, I'm glad it looks stunning, and it's high budget, for a change it's really welcome, I'm tired of these restricted releases.

I hope they don't find a way to ruin the graphics, you never know, Sonic is fast... I suggest them doing a lot of polish, unlike Sonic Colors Ultimate, so a 2023 release is eh, tiring but needed, I welcome it as long as we have news throughout the year. I still want some kind of new release though, they need it alongside Movie 2 and Prime, otherwise there is nothing to cash in on.

I'm glad it's nothing like Forces, controls wise, model wise (shorter quills, etc.).

Another cool thing is that they keep things simple, and of course Sonic mentioning Eggman to blame for the digital/cyberspace part to the jungle/forest environment.

No wisps I also like, I would like more skills, or power-ups, upgrades. And hopefully some kind of large DLC expansion as mentioned in the video.

Now... I'm very much meh, or against the concept of this game and how it presents from what it's being said in most leaks. Despite all these good details, I don't like them doing the usual "let's follow the general trend and do it badly", I like Sonic as a traditional platformer, with stages, platforming; everyone basically is doing the BotW trope, the video's source even explicitly says Sonic doesn't fit in the environment, the enemies are monsters that look taken from other totally different games.

I don't mind SEGA trying something new, if only it wasn't in every other game series, not everyone needs to do Breath of the Wild, open world gameplay. I do like the mention in the video of Sonic Jam, but that was more like a hubworld. I'm also perplexed about the Green Hill and Chemical Plant knock-offs (again). At least the cyberspace levels don't look all the same, I guess?

I'm just going to wait till we get some actual concrete info. Some of what I'm reading here sounds hard to believe at the moment (F.y.i. I haven't watched the video, so my opinion on this might change after watching).

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, PickleBrows said:

I feel like the only remaining news for Sonic this year is a possible trailer for the movie next year. If they release one in November that's 5-6 months of promotion time so it sounds about right.

There's the Encyclospeedia coming early December, which is huge for fans of the series' lore.

• Thumbs Up 2

I highly doubt that Sonic 2022 will show up at PlayStation's event on Wednesday because Origins should come out first and it doesn't look like the event is going to be anything special this time, so I'm not holding my breath.

I personally think that there is still chance for Sonic 2022 to have proper reveal at this year's Game Awards on December 9th because if they indeed want to go big with the new game, it would be fantastic opportunity for them to take advantage of the event with high viewership. Besides that SEGA is not dumb and they are going to take advantage of movie's release in March and I'm 1000% sure that we will have sort of trailer and promotional material of the game by that time. Movie 2 is much bigger deal than Prime, so I would be shocked if they are going to wait out until Prime to start promoting the game.

I also think that they are keep pushing back the Encyclospeedia for a reason. It would make sense to release the Encyclospeedia in such way so that it could be good introduction to game lore ahead of Sonic 2022 for people who would become interested in Sonic because of movie. I wouldn't be surprised if the Encyclospeedia would be pushed further to early Spring for that reason.

• Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, Jack-al said:

Lotta good points here. I will say that a bunch of things sound far too "anime" for my liking, such as [SEE SPOILERED SECTION] and the Ghost Girl essentially being Sonic's new "waifu," in a sense. The fact that it doesn't look like we're deviating from Sonic-only gameplay after all this damn time is troubling; so, too, is Sega anticipating that the game's gonna miss 2022 as well. Still, gameplay sounds fun and i like that they're putting actual money/effort into the project this time... so fuck it. Hope the reveal is soon. Let's see what ya got for us this time, Sega!

Spoiler

Finale starring the new form of Ultra Instinct... Sonic. Because if Toei Animation didn't sue before, they sure as HELL will now. /s

• Thumbs Up 1

Man, potentially six years between main series games and missing not only the anniversary year, but also the newest movie.. if it won't be good enough for a 2022 release, I hope that they don't rush it. But damn, this better be one of the best Sonic games ever made.

Sonic won't be at a Playstation event because it's a multiplatform game.

• Thumbs Up 4

Is there a reason we're treating this new leak as credible? All I can find is that this guy has ties to Tails Channel, but that outlet also propped up Zippo for months.

• Thumbs Up 8

6 minutes ago, KingMario05 said:

Lotta good points here. I will say that a bunch of things sound far too "anime" for my liking, such as [SEE SPOILERED SECTION] and the Ghost Girl essentially being Sonic's new "waifu," in a sense. The fact that it doesn't look like we're deviating from Sonic-only gameplay after all this damn time is troubling; so, too, is Sega anticipating that the game's gonna miss 2022 as well. Still, gameplay sounds fun and i like that they're putting actual money/effort into the project this time... so fuck it. Hope the reveal is soon. Let's see what ya got for us this time, Sega!

Reveal hidden contents

Finale starring the new form of Ultra Instinct... Sonic. Because if Toei Animation didn't sue before, they sure as HELL will now. /s

Waifu, huh? I know you are most likely joking, but even if that were the case, it can't be as bad as Elise from...yeah, I won't say it.

Seriously, though, some people said they were not too happy with Sonic possibly copying Breath of the Wild. I understand that, but it is hard to find original, successful ideas nowadays, and it is common to copy. Now, that is not the point I am trying to make, as I am not trying to argue that copying is a good thing, as to my knowledge, it isn't always so, possibly depending on the situation. Rather, I must ask: are people not to happy with Sonic copying Breath of the Wild because it is from a high selling franchise like The Legend of Zelda, and might be a cash-grab, if you know what I mean? Or is it just that people truly want an original idea to be used by Sonic, something like that?

I do understand that people may not like the idea of Sonic copying other franchises, but I had to ask, to make sure.

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, CrystalMaelStorm said:

Waifu, huh? I know you are most likely joking, but even if that were the case, it can't be as bad as Elise from...yeah, I won't say it.

Seriously, though, some people said they were not too happy with Sonic possibly copying Breath of the Wild. I understand that, but it is hard to find original, successful ideas nowadays, and it is common to copy. Now, that is not the point I am trying to make, as I am not trying to argue that copying is a good thing, as to my knowledge, it isn't always so, possibly depending on the situation. Rather, I must ask: are people not to happy with Sonic copying Breath of the Wild because it is from a high selling franchise like The Legend of Zelda, and might be a cash-grab, if you know what I mean? Or is it just that people truly want an original idea to be used by Sonic, something like that?

I do understand that people may not like the idea of Sonic copying other franchises, but I had to ask, to make sure.

It's the cash-grab element, I think. There's also the fact that a majority of BOTW was just "X environment, BUT IN RUINS!" which... is not nearly as interesting to me as something like Sega's own Kamurocho or Rockstar's San Andreas is. I want my open-worlds to feel alive, like part of a living, breathing universe... something Adventure and Unleashed did quite well as linear games, I might add.

I admittedly got bored to death by BOTW, and never bothered to finish it. So the fact that Sonic's taking inspiration from it in more ways than one is...  It's not a total turnoff, but I'm sure not feeling all that great about it.

(Especially if this game takes six years to come out instead of the five we all thought it would.)

• Thumbs Up 2

It's the cash-grab element, I think. There's also the fact that a majority of BOTW was just "X environment, BUT IN RUINS!" which... is not nearly as interesting to me as something like Sega's own Kamurocho or Rockstar's San Andreas is. I want my open-worlds to feel alive, like part of a living, breathing universe... something Adventure and Unleashed did quite well as linear games, I might add.

I admittedly got bored to death by BOTW, and never bothered to finish it. So the fact that Sonic's taking inspiration from it in more ways than one is...  It's not a total turnoff, but I'm sure not feeling all that great about it.

(Especially if this game takes six years to come out instead of the five we all thought it would.)

Interesting. I am aware the guy in the video said that Sonic does not fit in with the environment, so maybe that is a negative, but I do think that the environments of Sonic Rangers may not be in ruins like Breath of the Wild. I just hope they are more varied and have more to them than what you call Breath of the Wild.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, CrystalMaelStorm said:

Interesting. I am aware the guy in the video said that Sonic does not fit in with the environment, so maybe that is a negative, but I do think that the environments of Sonic Rangers may not be in ruins like Breath of the Wild. I just hope they are more varied and have more to them than what you call Breath of the Wild.

I hope so, too. Don't make it just forest, Sega... I'd love to run from the beach through Station Square all the way to Eggman's base/munitions factory on a snow-covered mountain, and then run all the way back.

That'd be awesome, especially if they worked in a "wanted" system like in GTA to boot.

Spoiler

Would prefer to fly high so I can reach the highest of all the heavens when doing this... but eh, what can ya do. Besides, they are planning a significant DLC roadmap. Perhaps my boi Miles can get an Episode or two? (Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?)

• Thumbs Up 1

TBH if that new "leak" without any proof and where the leaker suspiciously give stuff that would allow SEGA to find who they are even if they certainly break their NDA is true (yeah, you can think that I'm a bit skeptic), ruined/ancient stuff might be also because they don't *want* a fully alive urban openworld with a lot of stuff happening in it. It's more work, more difficult to work it and less adapted if they want it to be a big playfield for using the character speed (especially if it's as crowded that can be an "urban open-world").

Now about the question if it's fit Sonic, for me what is strange is more the ennemies, but having creature in Sonic didn't bother me in the few games where that happenned (they were bad for other reason that that), and if it's linked to the location, I'll have no issue with that. Sonic traversing some natural location with some ruins in it is something that we got a lot, so i've got no issue with that.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have a theory that the island could be a Phantom Ruby illusion. I don't know how my ghost waifu fits into things, but Infinite's music playing in a boss fight and Sonic apparently saying the island seemed off, as well as Sega not allowing Infinite to be in the IDW comics, seems to imply something going on.

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope so, too. Don't make it just forest, Sega... I'd love to run from the beach through Station Square all the way to Eggman's base/munitions factory on a snow-covered mountain, and then run all the way back.

That'd be awesome, especially if they worked in a "wanted" system like in GTA to boot.

Hide contents

Would prefer to fly high so I can reach the highest of all the heavens when doing this... but eh, what can ya do. Besides, they are planning a significant DLC roadmap. Perhaps my boi Miles can get an Episode or two? (Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?)

According to the person in the video, the area that the person played in was just a small section of the entire game. If we are lucky, maybe we'll get other sections with themes different from a forest, perhaps? That would be cool in my book.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, CrystalMaelStorm said:

According to the person in the video, the area that the person played in was just a small section of the entire game. If we are lucky, maybe we'll get other sections with themes different from a forest, perhaps? That would be cool in my book.

Here's hoping. Just one big forest with ruins in it ain't gonna cut it for me.

1 minute ago, CertifiedNobody said:

I have a theory that the island could be a Phantom Ruby illusion. I don't know how my ghost waifu fits into things, but Infinite's music playing in a boss fight and Sonic apparently saying the island seemed off, as well as Sega not allowing Infinite to be in the IDW comics, seems to imply something going on.

That's what I'm thinking, too. The patterns attached to Sonic in the teaser are a dead giveaway.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, I don't think we'll get just a forest, I mean, we haven't got a Sonic game with only one terrain type and there is no real reason they would do that, especially as the artwork artist have to work too lol. My question would be more if we'll get only "outdoor" type environnement, and what kind we'll get. They might be kinda similar, but I don't think it'll be just "one big environnement without any differences anywhere".

(the concept of cyberspace level (more traditionnal level separated from the overworld) could have fared well for indoor levels)

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, KingMario05 said:

Here's hoping. Just one big forest with ruins in it ain't gonna cut it for me.

That's what I'm thinking, too. The patterns attached to Sonic in the teaser are a dead giveaway.

Well, come to think of it, Sonic isn't the same genre as Breath of the Wild and the Legend of Zelda, so using the same kind of area for the whole game would not make sense, as there is no reason to use the same kind of area here for Sonic. Not saying it will be different from the game, but who knows, maybe they, Sega and Sonic Team, will kind of do some of their own thing here, if you know what I mean.

• Thumbs Up 1