Awoo.

Sonic Origins | MT | General Discussion

Ryannumber1gamer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

PSA: This topic is now exclusively for the general discussion of Sonic Origins.

Any new information or announcements surrounding this game (new patches, substantial comments from developers etc) need to be made in a new, separate topic.

1 hour ago, VO.SUPER said:

I mean, they are gonna fix the saving issues with Sonic 3. Those will have legit effects on the collection's reputation amongst casuals when some kid loses their save files and throws a tantrum. 

And I dont care how cynical you are, save file corruption is something that I have never seen not patched. 

The problem where emerald progress is lost, or players end up being sent back to previous levels. That's probably the biggest deal to a casual consumer. 

4 minutes ago, VO.SUPER said:

It's not about faith in the company from a fan's stand point. It's about, SEGA doesn't want any chance for soccer moms making a stink for refunds or making a lawsuit about their baby's save disappearing and "the product is broken."

I didn't even say the whole thing will be patched. The only thing I'm very sure of is that save file issue. The rest, like the problem with the physics and occasional glitches, is up in the air. 

There's just cynicism, and blind cynicism. 

Cover

13 years and counting.

• Thumbs Up 4

7 minutes ago, VO.SUPER said:

It's not about faith in the company from a fan's stand point. It's about, SEGA doesn't want any chance for soccer moms making a stink for refunds or making a lawsuit about their baby's save disappearing and "the product is broken."

I didn't even say the whole thing will be patched. The only thing I'm very sure of is that save file issue. The rest, like the problem with the physics and occasional glitches, is up in the air. 

There's just cynicism, and blind cynicism. I'd be pissed if that's all SEGA did, but that's sadly the only thing I feel sure in. 

What the fuck are you attacking me for? Maybe instead of directing your ire towards people who have actual legitimate reasons to doubt Sega considering they're one of the worst fucking video game companies ever when it comes to releasing broken shit, you should be criticizing Sega instead. I'm not responsible for Origins' state so miss me with this "YOU'RE TOO CYNICAL" bullshit.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, Tornado said:

Cover

13 years and counting.

You think an emulated game is a gotcha versus a relevant product for the mainstream? Come on. 

When disasters like Cyberpunk and Fallout76 fix basic progression corruptions. Or even Colors Ultimate. 

7 minutes ago, VO.SUPER said:

There's just cynicism, and blind cynicism. I'd be pissed if that's all SEGA did, but that's sadly the only thing I feel sure in. 

You vastly overestimate the level to which parents give a shit about their child’s video game save files. And let’s not pretend that children are the primary audience for this collection to begin with, either.

8 minutes ago, Sean said:

What the fuck are you attacking me for? Maybe instead of directing your ire towards people who have actual legitimate reasons to doubt Sega considering they're one of the worst fucking video game companies ever when it comes to releasing broken shit, you should be criticizing Sega instead. I'm not responsible for Origins' state so miss me with this "YOU'RE TOO CYNICAL" bullshit.

Hey, I'm sorry if I came off that way. It wasn't my intention.

I'm not trying to attack you for being down on this product. I'm just responding to what you said following my comment about SEGA just patching the game. Yes, you didn't quote me, but well I was part of that conversation. 

I'm not trying to pick a fight about the quality of the game or your thoughts about SEGA as a company. Just the idea that I think they'll patch this. 

How can you even think I'm giving SEGA the benefit of the doubt? The save issue doesn't really make the product better if SEGA fixes it. It's just something that shouldn't have happened, and the only reason they'd fix it is to cover their asses rather than some sense of loyalty or trying to make right. 

15 minutes ago, VO.SUPER said:

You think an emulated game is a gotcha versus a relevant product for the mainstream? Come on. 

I'm sorry. What qualifiers did you put on your original statement?

Oh, that's right:

And I dont care how cynical you are, save file corruption is something that I have never seen not patched. 

Fucking none.

Year of the Dragon on PSN is a digital rerelease of a game, like Sonic 3 is in Origins. It infamously suffers from save corruption in its initial state. Let's take this test sentence:

"The problem where emerald progress is lost, or players end up being sent back to previous levels. That's probably the biggest deal to a casual consumer."

Change it to apply to Spyro 3.

"The problem where egg progress is lost, or players end up being sent back to previous levels. That's probably the biggest deal to a casual consumer."

"The problem where gem progress is lost, or players end up being sent back to previous levels. That's probably the biggest deal to a casual consumer."

Amusingly, the music in the original release of Year of the Dragon is also fucked up pretty thoroughly.

You know what the actual main difference between the two is? A version of the game that is fixed of all of those bugs existed 8 years before Sony put it on PSN (a "patch," if you will). 13 years later after selling the game digitally across three game consoles, Sony never fixed shit for the game they have on their store with save game corruption even though all they would have to do is upload a different ROM.

Also:

15 minutes ago, VO.SUPER said:

When disasters like Cyberpunk and Fallout76 fix basic progression corruptions.

Recalibrate your brain if you think a rushed rerelease of a 28 year old game crunched out to cash in on the franchise anniversary is even remotely a product of the mainstream like a fucking Fallout game or Cyberpunk 2077 both are. No Sonic game has been in the timezone of as big of a deal as either of those two were hyped to be for 30 years.

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks guys, I'm not trying to get into an argument about these semantics about what would warrant a patch or not or about how SEGA is a horrible company for how they've handled this release. Because yeah, I'm not in disagreement there. And me arguing further is just me breaking down and missing the point. 

The basic save corruption isn't some act of faith. An act of faith would be if SEGA fixed the whole damn thing. But that's as far as my cynicism goes. And no, I don't believe Spyro is some gotcha. You can believe that, and I'm not gonna dispute that anymore because I'm not trying to pick a fight here. 

Yeah, it's a bit of an overreaction to assume that "maybe they'll fix this one thing" is the same as blindly defending a product that has been botched like this.

Yes, there is no guarantee we'll get any further patches for Origins, but let's be real, if they were to fix anything, it would be the glitch that messes up your savefiles. It's not some reach to think that could be patched out in the near future.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe some of you knew it but I've just discovered that Son of a Glitch, the man behind the highly anticipated SONIC CHAOS REMAKE first revealed at S.A.G.E. 2018, worked for SEGA on SONIC ORIGINS' version of SONIC 3 & KNUCKLES!!...

FQyw0d1XMAs9xMD?format=jpg&name=small

So, I guess he was spotted by SEGA thanks to its remake and therefore maybe one day SONIC CHAOS REMAKE could become an official game...

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic Chaos probably isn't happening anymore since he hasn't talked about it in a few years and he has a lot on his plate as it is. I'd love to see that fangame continue (especially with the Triple Trouble remake nearing completion) but I've given up waiting on it long ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

The game has a multitude of bugs and glitches and issues and the game has only been out of for one week. Don't expect a major patch for quite some time if it does get it due to QA across 7 platforms 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, PSI Wind said:

The game has a multitude of bugs and glitches and issues and the game has only been out of for one week. Don't expect a major patch for quite some time if it does get it due to QA across 7 platforms 

So, you are saying it may take some time for a patch from now?

SEGA Japan have confirmed via twitter the issue with some of the music tracks being incorrectly labelled will be fixed in a future patch:

Regarding this matter, we will try to match the song title with the song in the update patch to be delivered in the future. We will inform you about the delivery date and time of the update patch as soon as it is ready.

No word as yet whether this patch will fix anything else.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, TheOcelot said:

SEGA Japan have confirmed via twitter that the issue with some of the music tracks being incorrectly labelled will be fixed in a future update:

Hopefully, this patch also fixes the Sonic 3 save file glitch thing.

...As unlikely as that may be for a patch like this.

I'm just keeping my expectations low. The nitty gritty stuff that has been f-ed up by the mess of this whole itegration process is a whole can of worms. The save files and the music tracks are my floor of expectations.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well at least we know they're fixing some stuff, however minute it may be. It's a start, I guess?

I've been enjoying the mission mode. While it's only a distraction and no replacement for more substantial content, I'm glad it's here. The best missions are the ones in Sonic CD if only because the level gimmicks are utilized well, and the base level design is already so labrynthian it's basically perfect adaptation.

But I have a soft spot for the flying missions of Sonic 2. I like how I have to learn about enemy behavior and how they react to my proximity. 

Ran into my first game breaking glitch in Origins. In Marble Garden Act 2 when Eggman shows up in the middle of the level and causes an earthquake, I'm stuck. Can't move left. Screen's just shaking forever.

6 hours ago, Sean said:

lol

Does SEGA have...even just a little bit of Quality Control? Any resemblance of QA testing? I refuse to believe they didn't fucking notice this during testing, if there even WAS any testing, of Sonic Origins. They either magically didn't know, or they DID know and didn't care.

I hate being a Sonic fan.

I felt it was something like that. You add one thing and then overlook a critical mistake. 

Tsk. 

Well, I beat Story Mode. I'm glad my experience was basically glitchless (aside from a graphical glitch during the Mushroom Hill boss).

It almost was epic you know? The way story mode ended with the finale credits, and the last cutscene with Eggman, but... I'd already seen the credits for the previous 3 games lol so it was hard to get a sense of the evolution. 

Like, the final Sky Sanctuary callback with the Mecha Sonic fight almost made me feel something you know? Like, "wow, this is the culmination of this all." 

But the disconnect of those credits sequences and the lack of alternate endings for when you dont get the emeralds just takes you out of it. 

Death by a thousand cuts indeed. So many good ideas just, not put together cleanly. 

Tsk.

That's just sad at this point. And they dare charge 45 for this, lmao. I'm glad I spent my money on something else this month. SEGA has lost the little benefit of the doubt they had. At this point I wish a Mania 2 never gets made, unless they allow the team a proper budget and time / freedom to develop and go nuts with creativity.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, VO.SUPER said:

I felt it was something like that. You add one thing and then overlook a critical mistake. 

Tsk. 

Well, I beat Story Mode. I'm glad my experience was basically glitchless (aside from a graphical glitch during the Mushroom Hill boss).

It almost was epic you know? The way story mode ended with the finale credits, and the last cutscene with Eggman, but... I'd already seen the credits for the previous 3 games lol so it was hard to get a sense of the evolution. 

Like, the final Sky Sanctuary callback with the Mecha Sonic fight almost made me feel something you know? Like, "wow, this is the culmination of this all." 

But the disconnect of those credits sequences and the lack of alternate endings for when you dont get the emeralds just takes you out of it. 

Death by a thousand cuts indeed. So many good ideas just, not put together cleanly. 

Tsk.

Kind of agree here, I was expecting them to cut the credits from the games in story mode for a smoother experience and then finish with a full new credits sequence containing the staff for all four games followed by Origins.  Would've required some sound editing on Sonic CD's, but the other three games have fades to black before the credits so those would've been simple enough I would've thought.