Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

Fan fucking tastic. You make a 3D game, people piss and moan. They announce a 2D game, people still piss and moan. These same people who piss and moan kept going on and on about how Sonic should go back to 2D and go "back to his roots". Sega just can't fucking win.

Quoted for god damn truth.

Unleashed was a good if not great 3D game, people pissed and moaned, this has the potential be a Mega Drive Sonic quality game, they've shown they listened to the many fans who want this so bad, and they still piss and moan. <_<

Yes Shadow and Sonic 2006 were awful, but with Unleashed following it how one can proclaim Sega "have no clue" just because their overly nostalgic needs aren't satisfied is beyond me.

This is why I've pretty much stopped going on Sonic forums, they make my brain hurt, and I'm slowly starting to include this one with that.

• Thumbs Up 1

On that, this won't be an MD quality game because like I said, if they can't make a 3D game they can't make a 2D one. They're just bad developers, they don't suddenly become good if they return him to his roots.

That's what I'm annoyed about. Personally I hate the whole "nostalgic go back to his roots" thing, and the whole idea of this happening is just giving those people what they want. They'll eat it up, regardless of how good the game actually is.

I've never been a "back to the roots" kind of person. I was hoping that Sega would be able to erase that kind of thought by just making current Sonic better, which is what they should do.

On that, this won't be an MD quality game because like I said, if they can't make a 3D game they can't make a 2D one. They're just bad developers, they don't suddenly become good if they return him to his roots.
Who says the typical sonic development team is on this?

Sonic doesn't have to go chubby again or have green eyes black eyes whatever. As long as the new gameplay is great, I consider it a success.

This.

That's all anyone really wants from a Sonic game after all. The classics being revered for being 'better' has nothing to do with the fact that they're 2D or have chubby Sonic or whatever. They're revered for the simply fact that they're good games.

Invoking a little nostalgia to the 90s Sonic is less of a sellout and more of a way of saying "Hey these games were awesome weren't they? We're making this game more like the awesome and less like the suck". Without knowing a single thing about the game itself, you can't really argue with the intent to be honest. :3

So we now have a Sonic 4 or something of the like? Sounds good to me! Though hopefully it doesn't end up like Sonic 1 on the GBA. I'm also hoping for a 3D game in a 2D perspective, but either way I'm excited for this. However, I'm not trying to hype the crap out of this game as well.

*headdesk* DAMMIT!

I'm not always a negative person, and that I'm quite optimistic about Sonic almost all the time. But this announcement makes me feel REALLY down. I really don't like how Sega decided to just toss away the effort and errors of all the previous 3D Sonic games to make a quick buck. This announcement, thus far, feels a LOT like a sellout game instead of a "bring-Sonic-back-to-roots" game. I want Sonic to grow, and making a 2D side-scroller feels like the series is going in reverse instead of evolving. :(

Despite saying 2010, I hope there will be a Sonic game coming out in 2011, and I hope THAT is the 20th Anniversary game, not this one. Sorry, but I feel very concerned right now. :(

Oh, well, we'll see what happens in the future...

Relax, Dark Qiviut, everything is just fine. The truth of the matter is that Sega is a very large publisher, one of the biggest in the world in fact. This means that Sega can make multiple Sonic games at once, as they have always done, ever since Sonic 2 and Sonic CD began development at more or less the same time.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is simple. This new 2D-HD Sonic game will not affect the development of any other hypothetical new Sonic games. The philosophy and technology used to create Sonic Unleashed is here to stay. Sega will continue to develop and refine this concept in the future, aiming to develop even better 3D Sonic games. This much is certain.

Besides, this is no time to mope around. This is a new Sonic game! I've been a fan of Sonic since the begining, ever since I first watched a Sonic game in motion. I started playing with Sonic 1 on the Master System and I've remained a fan even today; Sonic Unleashed is now one of my favourites. I'll be a fan of Sonic regardless of how many dimensions the levels are designed with.

So yeah, I'm excited... I can't way to see a 'real' trailer. :)

Edited by Kintor

This.

That's all anyone really wants from a Sonic game after all. The classics being revered for being 'better' has nothing to do with the fact that they're 2D or have chubby Sonic or whatever. They're revered for the simply fact that they're good games.

Invoking a little nostalgia to the 90s Sonic is less of a sellout and more of a way of saying "Hey these games were awesome weren't they? We're making this game more like the awesome and less like the suck". Without knowing a single thing about the game itself, you can't really argue with the intent to be honest. :3

How true Svend.

Personally I'd like to see if there is any 2-P action in Story mode ala Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 where P1 controls Sonic and the CPU controls Tails until P2 shows up and moves his control stick. I'd also love to see the almighty return of Debug Mode/ anti-gravity as well as the legendary Level Select.

I'd also love to see the almighty return of Debug Mode/ anti-gravity as well as the legendary Level Select.

I bet if anything about the game is a 'remake', it would be some of the potential cheats they could leave in there. Up Down Left Right A+START! :)

It probably isn't a remake, and its also doubtfully the "end of 3D Sonic." Just because Sega has decided to continue making 2D Sonic games again doesn't mean 3D Sonic is over. Hell, we've been having 2D Sonic games for a long time. And truthfully, I like Sega's idea better. It sounds like a sequel to the "classic" Sonic games, but with enhanced graphics and probably enhanced music, as well. Frankly, I think its a far better choice than even trying to make graphics and music identical in format to the classic games, which is what Capcom did.

We'll have to see how this goes, but its clearly a sequel to the classics. More than likely, all you Shadow haters, Shadow won't be appearing. I would like to see Rouge, though... perhaps a prelude to her appearance in later titles, and maybe even a certain weasel sniper.

I'm hoping we get loads of characters to play as. Loads of different paths to take, but most important, all characters are fast.

Sonic Rivals sounded like my dream game until I played it and noticed how shallow and slow everything was. If they put in characters like Rouge and Shadow this could be their first respectable sidescrolling appearances.

It sounds like a sequel to the "classic" Sonic games, but with enhanced graphics and probably enhanced music, as well. Frankly, I think its a far better choice than even trying to make graphics and music identical in format to the classic games, which is what Capcom did.

I feel the same way. It's sort of why I was turned off of MM9. Felt like a cheap cash-in.

But back on this, I can say I'm a little hyped after thinking this a bit more. I got a bit more faith in Sonic Team after Unleashed and Black Knight (I liked it), so here's to waiting. Wonder if SEGA will show anything at TGS about this.

EDIT:

I'm hoping we get loads of characters to play as. Loads of different paths to take, but most important, all characters are fast.

I wonder if there will be some unlockables, like other playable stages, characters, etc? It'll make buying a retail copy (if they ever decide to go with it) more worth it.

Edited by GameboyHero

But back on this, I can say I'm a little hyped after thinking this a bit more. I got a bit more faith in Sonic Team after Unleashed and Black Knight (I liked it), so here's to waiting. Wonder if SEGA will show anything at TGS about this.

I didn't think Sonic Team developed Black Knight? Perhaps I'm wrong in thinking that, but weren't they knee deep in Unleashed at that point?

I feel the same way. It's sort of why I was turned off of MM9. Felt like a cheap cash-in
Is it a cash in if it kicks ass like MM9?

Wasn't expecting this, although I guess the release date does make some sense. We've only had 1-2 Sonic games this year (depending on whether you consider M@S a full Sonic game), Sega All-Stars Racing is being released early next year, a sequel to Sonic Chronicles may arise (given the gap of 2 years) and this could potentially be released towards the end (both as a kind of filler, while Sega/Sonic Team work on the Sonic 20th anniversary game). At least thats my theory. We'll see what happens with this I guess.

At least the whole ''Sega don't listen to there fans talk (even though that was never true in the first place)'' can be put to rest. I think.

Edited by blackherox

I was beginning to forget why I left the Stadium....now it's coming back to me. People are so high strung here. It's no longer about what you personally think, but it's about what everyone else thinks. A few people get excited and you have the Hype Police coming around posting & worshipping the Sonic Cycle or crying "FOR GOD'S SAKE, DONT GET HYPED!!!" (and the ironic thing is that the person who said that is the one who got all hyped over those Black Knight scans from NP which was an awful game). Nobody let's people think what they want to think.

As for the subject. Unsurprising move, but exciting nonetheless. Here's hoping it turns out the best.

*goes back to the Sega Boards* :D

HI GUYS I RETURN FOR NO REASON TO DISS THE FORUMS I'M CURRENTLY POSTING ON.

P.S. HI MOM. I'M FAMOUS.

- Chris

Edited by Chris
lolwut
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Every spin off is (seen as) a cash in even if it's in a series where people always ask for different gameplay formulas (FF/Pkmn)

I don't think Sega should listen to their fans anyway. They're the professionals, they should take advice or inspiration from other professionals or just try harder. Their fans are idiots split into two camps that couldn't disagree more with each other.

Edited by SuperLink

As others have said, there's no reason this game spells the end for the 3D series, hell, if it's sucessful, I see no reason why they can't continue both the classic-inspired 2D series along with the mainstream 3D Retail Releases, not unlike other series have done in the past.

Oh, all those doubting if it's a new game or not, the teaser trailer states "All New", the interview also confirms it's a completely new game.

I was beginning to forget why I left the Stadium....now it's coming back to me. People are so high strung here. It's no longer about what you personally think, but it's about what everyone else thinks. A few people get excited and you have the Hype Police coming around posting & worshipping the Sonic Cycle or crying "FOR GOD'S SAKE, DONT GET HYPED!!!" (and the ironic thing is that the person who said that is the one who got all hyped over those Black Knight scans from NP which was an awful game). Nobody let's people think what they want to think.

As for the subject. Unsurprising move, but exciting nonetheless. Here's hoping it turns out the best.

*goes back to the Sega Boards* :D

Who's high strung now? us or you? :P

I wonder if this is going to be shown at TGS. SASAR won't be there and Nintendo may be showing M@S2, so theres a possibility. Endless Possibilities.

I wonder if this is going to be shown at TGS. SASAR won't be there and Nintendo may be showing M@S2, so theres a possibility. Endless Possibilities.

Pretty sure Nintendo won't be there as usual.

Would be nice to get some more solid details on it now that everyone's all wound up.

I hope we get to see something more than just the Sega scream, ring sounds and a shadow of the logo. Since the trailer says it's coming out in 2010, Sega better shows us something to satisfy till then.