Awoo.

Tumblr/Twitter Sonic's latest exploits

NoirSuede

For some reason, I always like humor with just a bit of bite to it, so while I don't have anything in particular against MN9 personally, I kind of enjoy seeing Sonic outright mocking something - in a joking and not particularly harsh way, of course, but it's still pretty much directly targeting the bad graphics and making a goofy, but pretty decent visual joke out of them. I guess I just find making fun of something, regardless of what it is, to be a particularly enjoyable form of humor. It sort of gives the joke a "point", which makes it hit harder, I think.

tl;dr pizza explosions funny.

• Thumbs Up 4

Well the thing is I don't think Aaron wants to the basic "oh here's a poll for you guys to have fun with" or "hey, here's this cool fanart this one fan did. check him/her out."

I can't speak for his thought process, but I was running some analytical processes on the account (read: I looked at numbers) on the pages, and traditionally, the bland stuff like "What's your favorite level?", Who's your favorite character?", and frequent Fan Art Fridays resulted in some of the worst numbers for the pages. Again, I can't and won't speak for him, but I can sort of understand why. Those questions don't really amount to anything but just junk food discussion (and real talk, the main question is "So what?") On Retro, they were straight up banned from being made topics because they really do nothing.

Or, someone will misinterpret it as Sega asking fans what they like and that maybe they'll be used in a Generations 2, or said character was really popular, so they'll for sure be in the next game. Then disappointment arises when neither of those two things come to pass. You can see how messy this gets quickly.

Besides, we already know without any stretch of a guess the character power rankings will be:

1. Sonic
  2. Shadow
  3. Tails
  4. Metal Sonic
  5. Knuckles
  6. Eggman
  7. And beyond: other.

And for games?

1. Sonic Adventure 2/Adventure 2 Battle/Sonic 2 Adventures Battle/Sonic Adventures Battle 2/etc.
  2. Sonic 3 and Knuckles
  3. Sonic Generations
  4. Sonic Heroes
  5. Sonic Adventure
  6. Sonic Colors
  7. Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed

And so forth.

Now, the fan art stuff is something I'm more than happy to pitch to Aaron to bring back, since there's some genuinely cool stuff out there being made by musicians, artists, costume designers, and just your general hobbyist of any age. But the problem is making them weekly leads frequently to dry patches. Why force content like that and de-value it? If anything, should we do a fan art friday, I'd rather it be a little more interesting. Maybe something like the last friday of every month. Social media though will only allow us to plug one piece, or maintain a constant gallery (meaning only photos, screwing those with video or audio out of recognition.) I think it'd be better as a blog post on the SEGA blogs.

tl;dr: it's a doable thing, fan art friday, but it needs to be reworked so it doesn't get tiresome quickly and gives artists a chance to actually create stuff.

Would anyone put hastags that go against a part of a popular franchise unless that person either a. Does not know good comedy (witch is plausable,considering the overuse of owtheedge and tails doll) or B. Does not care about the series(s) (i wouldn't be surprised,since it seems that baerly anyone that isn't on here cares about the series at this point)

Boy, I hope Sega doesn't see Mike Pollock made a song that mocks fans for a Boom Shadow. They may fire him for taking a playful jab at the series or a fan.

Boom Shadow, Boom Shadow.

• Thumbs Up 7

Maybe fan art contests with specific themes?

Like, draw Sonic walking through the park eating ice cream, or Sonic duking it out with Knuckles over the last slice of pizza.

Rewards are steam codes for Sonic games or a goodie bag, maybe. idk. 

I like them maymays though.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Maybe fan art contests with specific themes?

Like, draw Sonic walking through the park eating ice cream, or Sonic duking it out with Knuckles over the last slice of pizza.

Rewards are steam codes for Sonic games or a goodie bag, maybe. idk. 

See, I don't care for these either. When I think fan art, I think pieces that come from the heart and are a little more grass roots than just something drawn for some prize.

For example, I really enjoy these comics I see show up on pixiv from time to time. Or some more badass pieces like this one (which I really want to make a poster print out of.)

A contest also always drives jealousy because say we get a bunch of cool artists that make some great pieces. That just squashes out less experienced artists from even trying. Again, the matter gets too complicated and creativity suffers as a result. I'm not a fan of that happening. You'd have to specifically cordon off into sections.

• Thumbs Up 7

4 hours ago, GeneHF said:

I can't speak for his thought process, but I was running some analytical processes on the account (read: I looked at numbers) on the pages, and traditionally, the bland stuff like "What's your favorite level?", Who's your favorite character?", and frequent Fan Art Fridays resulted in some of the worst numbers for the pages. Again, I can't and won't speak for him, but I can sort of understand why. Those questions don't really amount to anything but just junk food discussion (and real talk, the main question is "So what?") On Retro, they were straight up banned from being made topics because they really do nothing.

Or, someone will misinterpret it as Sega asking fans what they like and that maybe they'll be used in a Generations 2, or said character was really popular, so they'll for sure be in the next game. Then disappointment arises when neither of those two things come to pass. You can see how messy this gets quickly.

Reveal hidden contents

Besides, we already know without any stretch of a guess the character power rankings will be:

1. Sonic
  2. Shadow
  3. Tails
  4. Metal Sonic
  5. Knuckles
  6. Eggman
  7. And beyond: other.

And for games?

1. Sonic Adventure 2/Adventure 2 Battle/Sonic 2 Adventures Battle/Sonic Adventures Battle 2/etc.
  2. Sonic 3 and Knuckles
  3. Sonic Generations
  4. Sonic Heroes
  5. Sonic Adventure
  6. Sonic Colors
  7. Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed

And so forth.

Now, the fan art stuff is something I'm more than happy to pitch to Aaron to bring back, since there's some genuinely cool stuff out there being made by musicians, artists, costume designers, and just your general hobbyist of any age. But the problem is making them weekly leads frequently to dry patches. Why force content like that and de-value it? If anything, should we do a fan art friday, I'd rather it be a little more interesting. Maybe something like the last friday of every month. Social media though will only allow us to plug one piece, or maintain a constant gallery (meaning only photos, screwing those with video or audio out of recognition.) I think it'd be better as a blog post on the SEGA blogs.

tl;dr: it's a doable thing, fan art friday, but it needs to be reworked so it doesn't get tiresome quickly and gives artists a chance to actually create stuff.

Boy, I hope Sega doesn't see Mike Pollock made a song that mocks fans for a Boom Shadow. They may fire him for taking a playful jab at the series or a fan.

Boom Shadow, Boom Shadow.

I've been wanting to say this for a long while now, I really think what you guys are doing for the Social Medias work really well. Just a couple of days before Aaron started working on the pages, I was browsing through the pictures and the posts on FB and man, was it boring. There were sporadic pictures and a #freestufffridays (which I actually liked, any chances they might come back?), but it was mostly uninteresting stuff that couldn't attract people or even fans (I know I didn't care about checking the page). It's a lot different now, some people may not like it but it is definitely working, and I think it kinda started a trend. Now I don't know which pages started joking about its own franchise and connecting with other games pages, but Sonic was definitely the one that struck out! My advice would be not to listen to the vocal people who're saying that your work is bad and driving people away, I think the numbers talk for themselves!

Thank you for entertaining us during this boring period on the news front!

Oh, and keep up with the clues, that's my favourite part!

EDIT: A big thanks to Mike Pollock too, who is a constant presence in Facebook groups and answers to basically anyone who sends him a message!

• Thumbs Up 3

Oh, we're not stopping what we're doing, don't get me wrong. We know not everyone likes this direction. That's cool. I'm just saying we DO see what you're all saying, and can try to mix things up a little more.

That cosplay post at least helped set a discussion point, for example.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 05/26/16 at 3:13 PM, GeneHF said:

See, I don't care for these either. When I think fan art, I think pieces that come from the heart and are a little more grass roots than just something drawn for some prize.

For example, I really enjoy these comics I see show up on pixiv from time to time. Or some more badass pieces like this one (which I really want to make a poster print out of.)

As far as I've seen, a lot of the best Pixiv pieces are actually made for Sonic Channel's monthly themed fanart gallery, so I wouldn't say art done for that sort of thing lacks heart necessarily.

Additionally, Sonic Channel features art from a variety of age groups and skill levels, so less experienced artists aren't left out in the cold either.

• Thumbs Up 4

Good to know. I was actually not aware they did it that way.

You may have actually just helped me in that field. Much appreciated!

• Thumbs Up 6

Translating it gives us this:

6/25 (Saturday) [Sonic 25 years anniversary party "in leading to be released Commemorative merchandise, showing nipple slip! ★ It's a nice towel! Other items are also being planned is yo! #sonic25th http:// 

Never thought I'd read the phrase "nipple slip" in an official Sonic tweet.

• Thumbs Up 4

5 hours ago, SonicEkkusu said:

I wonder what an accurate translation would look like...?

Dunno, but I'm perfectly content with one involving nipples.

• Thumbs Up 1

Probably something like little peek, something totally standard when not literally translated (or translated incorrectly).

Boop! It roughly says:

The Sonic 25th Anniversary Party begins with offering goods for sale that give a sneak peak! Starting with this lovely towel! Other items are also planned!

or chiramise is slang for sneaking a peak but it's also crude like when you're looking at a woman's cleavage.

I just noticed that the towel is being pretty sneaky about the hint. It says Sonic hedgehog but after that it says what looks like "in the." I can't make out what the box above "in" is, but I'm assuming its spelling out "the" in his name.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Coral said:

Boop! It roughly says:

The Sonic 25th Anniversary Party begins with offering goods for sale that give a sneak peak! Starting with this lovely towel! Other items are also planned!

or chiramise is slang for sneaking a peak but it's also crude like when you're looking at a woman's cleavage.

I just noticed that the towel is being pretty sneaky about the hint. It says Sonic hedgehog but after that it says what looks like "in the." I can't make out what the box above "in" is, but I'm assuming its spelling out "the" in his name.

So, basically this is SEGA being crass about their advertisements. Gotta love it!

1 hour ago, Metal Mario said:

The plot thickens.

Would you look at that? No memes in this one =  Their prepering for something. I have just one question: Is the anoucment on Joypolis birthday party in June, or Sonic Not-Boom party in July. Can anyone remeber which month was missing in those song lines in SXSW panel presentation?

• Thumbs Up 1