Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Ah okay.

I hope we get to see some interesting nature-creatures (concepts like water-creature Chaos, and flower-creatures like Cosmo), but for different concepts.

14 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Ah okay.

I hope we get to see some interesting nature-creatures (concepts like water-creature Chaos, and flower-creatures like Cosmo), but for different concepts.

That'd be pretty interesting.

15 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I'm sorry, but they deconfirmed Chris at the first Comic-Con panel. If Chris isn't returning, I doubt anything else from X will.

Yeah pretty much anything from X has been killed off for a very long time. I heard there was some reason for like a complete wipe/discontinue. I mean personally I thought the show sucked, especially Season 3, but I think the higher ups basically don't want it ever being touched for whatever reason....or maybe it's just a fake rumor I believe for some reason.

5 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

Yeah pretty much anything from X has been killed off for a very long time. I heard there was some reason for like a complete wipe/discontinue. I mean personally I thought the show sucked, especially Season 3, but I think the higher ups basically don't want it ever being touched for whatever reason....or maybe it's just a fake rumor I believe for some reason.

According to Ian on one of his Bumblekasts, SEGA doesn't want X, Underground, and the OVA in there. I think it's because SEGA considers them failures or something.

1 hour ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Look at that little Blaze right over there. Just chillin' in the background. Dear god, they better not sideline her in this issue.

:grimace: Don't count on that not being case just yet.

1 hour ago, JosepHenry said:

Speculation time

The way she's being sidelined seems actually intentional, is like she's annoyed at Tangle for stealing the show. She even looks a bit grumpy in those covers. Which in terms of plot would be awesome if Blaze isn't really fond of Tangle and gets comically hurt because of that.

But if is not really intentional..... Blaze is there just to be there and will be the same '06 plant just for fanservice sake. Don't do that IDW.

The thing is that Blaze is not really the type of character you'd do that with, at the very least not within what we've gotten from her over the years.

Also, she's from Sonic Rush.

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

Given how upset people were at her absence in Forces and how popular she is, Ian and IDW should probably know better when it comes to using Blaze.

Yeah, the fourth issue isn't helping ease the idea that Blaze will just be bait for her fans.

They really should've just had Tangle be in the fifth issue instead of cramming her into what is essentially Blaze's triumphant return to a story release-wise.

23 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I'm sorry, but they deconfirmed Chris at the first Comic-Con panel. If Chris isn't returning, I doubt anything else from X will.

Actually, Cosmo and the Seedrians are residents of Sonic's Galaxy, so Chris  not being in is not the issue.

The real problem is copyright/licensing rights regarding Toei Animation or whoever produced/published Sonic X. While Chris would technically be fine to appear if they wanted to use him since he was apparently created by SonicTeam themselves, it's very likely Cosmo falls in with everything else.

23 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

They really should've just had Tangle be in the fifth issue instead of cramming her into what is essentially Blaze's triumphant return to a story release-wise.

Plus, we're not sure if Blaze will be allowed to appear more often and Ian doesn't have the best track record with writing her.

I don't want to get judgemental, but how Tangle has been overshadowing Blaze, it seems like Blaze will just be a side-character.

16 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Plus, we're not sure if Blaze will be allowed to appear more often and Ian doesn't have the best track record with writing her.

Uh, how was she in TTT? Cause I only really remember her successfully outrunning the Zone Cops offscreen, angrily making her case to Shadow/Rouge, and being the one to defeat the villains.

Just now, DabigRG said:

Uh, how was she in TTT? Cause I only really remember her successfully outrunning the Zone Cops offscreen, angrily making her case to Shadow/Rouge, and being the one to defeat the villains.

She was easily defeated by Rouge with one hit.

51 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

... And?

That can't be the only problem you have with Blaze's writing.

This is such a small thing.

Also Rouge has some really strong legs.

• Thumbs Up 4

45 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

So she got knocked out once and that means Ian sucks at writing her?

48 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

...Huh.

I've been meaning to go back to that arc, among others, so I'd have to check on that eventually.

Until then, I'll have to take "defeated" with a bit of a grain of salt, given the genre.

5 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

So she got knocked out once and that means Ian sucks at writing her?

She was also easily defeated by a SSWAT bot in her first appearance and kidnapped and was also kidnapped in the worlds collide event.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

She was also easily defeated by a SSWAT bot in her first appearance and kidnapped and was also kidnapped in the worlds collide event.

To be fair, everyone who wasn't Omega got kidnapped in the latter. 

• Thumbs Up 1

To be fair wasn't almost everyone captured during Worlds Collide? That's not a good example.

Edit: Damnit Ninja'd by Miragnarok haha!!

• Fist Bump 1

16 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

She was also easily defeated by a SSWAT bot in her first appearance

You mean in the same tie-in story were she was histrionic af and got triggered by Sonic allegedly suggesting she's a boy? :smirk: 

I think Blaze is going to have a minor (but notable) role in the issue that may set up near-future appearances or something. That's speculation based entirely on her merely being more so in the background of covers though, which are...well, to say the least, not exactly the best hint of what's actually going to happen in the actual story.

Also imo her looking mildly grumpy doesn't necessarily mean anything either, since that's her default expression. I can relate, really.

• Thumbs Up 5

3 minutes ago, Celestia said:

I think Blaze is going to have a minor (but notable) role in the issue that may set up near-future appearances or something. That's speculation based entirely on her merely being more so in the background of covers though, which are...well, to say the least, not exactly the best hint of what's actually going to happen in the actual story.

Also imo her looking mildly grumpy doesn't necessarily mean anything either, since that's her default expression. I can relate, really.

Very true. She has always been pretty blunt and duty driven compared to Sonic, much like Knuckles used to be.

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess this would be being cynical, but I don't think blaze is gonna do much. I just think she's there as fanservice, and to sort of smooth stuff over because there is a new character particularly a new comic book character

It sucks, but i think its the most realistic scenario  

2 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I guess this would be being cynical, but I don't think blaze is gonna do much. I just think she's there as fanservice, and to sort of smooth stuff over because there is a new character particularly a new comic book character

It sucks, but i think its the most realistic scenario  

It IS the scenario! That was obvious when they did that teaser countdown a week before any other synopsis was released.

7 minutes ago, SaberX said:

I moslty agree.

But I'm still guessing shes that way because of Tangle attitude.

I'd make sense, presumably.

Gotta say, I’m bummed they’re introducing new characters instead of developing existing ones. Hopefully they keep it relegated to villains. 

Is this canon to the main series or no?

14 minutes ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

Gotta say, I’m bummed they’re introducing new characters instead of developing existing ones. Hopefully they keep it relegated to villains. 

Is this canon to the main series or no?

1: Ian said that not many new characters are coming this year, so we are going to get more development on existing characters.
2. It's certainly INSPIRED by the game canon, but it's not canon, according to Ian.

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

It IS the scenario! That was obvious when they did that teaser countdown a week before any other synopsis was released.

Eh

I would gonna say having her be a disappointment would be a quick way to get fans to hate her, in combination with blaze being pushed in the background. But In all honesty, probably not, I mean if she's disappointing she might not garner fans. But what i mean is, I don't think blaze isn't going to have any effect on it, blaze's MIA status in the last game and in the comics before this didn't really draw much ire. So much to my dismay blaze being pushed in the background wont result in much. 

Oh well I guess. 

5 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:

5 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

According to Ian on one of his Bumblekasts, SEGA doesn't want X, Underground, and the OVA in there. I think it's because SEGA considers them failures or something.

4 hours ago, DabigRG said:

The real problem is copyright/licensing rights regarding Toei Animation or whoever produced/published Sonic X. While Chris would technically be fine to appear if they wanted to use him since he was apparently created by SonicTeam themselves, it's very likely Cosmo falls in with everything else.

So, some things about Sonic X.

1. Sonic X was very successful, airing on television across the globe into a decade after it ended and still has a presence to this day through online streaming, new home video releases, and kids on demand programs. It was successful enough to have 26 episodes produced after the initial 52 episodes ended due to it's popularity over sees. Sega knows Sonic X did well.

2. Sonic X was produced by TMS Entertainment in conjunction with Sonic Team. TMS is owned by Sega. Everything in Sonic X is fully owned by Sega and most of the designs for the series were done by Yuji Uekawa. There's nothing standing between Sega using elements from Sonic X besides Sega themselves.

3. Despite all that going for it, Sonic X finished airing in 2006. That's 12 years ago. While the brand was and arguably is still successful, other than the Archie comic which ended years ago as well, Sonic X has not had new material produced for it in over a decade. So elements from it, especially elements like Chris which are so tied to that specific off shoot of the franchise, are seen as irrelevant to the brand as it exists today. It's the same reason Sega doesn't use Scratch and Grounder or the Freedom Fighters, Chris and the rest of Sonic X's cast is from an old piece of the franchise that Sega no longer cares about. And yes, IDW has confirmed they may be able to use the Freedom Fighters, but those characters have a history in American Sonic comics that Underground, X, and the OVA don't and even then it's been looking like they wouldn't be allowed in. That's the exception, not the rule. If Sega did choose to use Sonic X elements again, it would likely be in some anniversary special or revival of the Sonic X branding as a whole. Like if Sonic X got a special OVA or a new series with the same name and general premise.

4. If nothing else, keep in mind that Chris and Cosmo often show up in Sonic Channel's monthly fan art section. Other than Sticks, they show up the most of any alternate media characters, easily showing up more often then Sally who's the next most often. That should show you that if nothing else, Sonic Team remembers Sonic X fondly and likes to indulge fans of the series.

• Thumbs Up 3