Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

1 minute ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

She was fine during the Mecha Sally stuff. She was fine in the Megaman crossover. She was fine in the reboot. At least to me she was. I have to double back a fairly long way in order to locate something he's done with her that I felt was worth getting supremely angry about.

Some of the stuff that I can't I liked are more (having her go with Knuckles during the shattered arc, being easily eliminated during the Champions arc, how she's brushed to the side during the memory recovering arc with Sonic ignoring her for Sally, etc.) small potatoes

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Yeah, we're probably jumping the gun on this one.

No, 222 was where Sonic got back together with Sally and had Amy looking shocked in the background of the issue cover.

Oh, well that was the cover. Doesn't really say much beyond "Sonic is zipping through a populated area."

The actual issue has her covering for them.

1 minute ago, RedFox99 said:

having her go with Knuckles during the shattered arc, 

Honestly, I thought it was generally agreed upon that that was an neat setup for some side adventures. And that it was too bad Team Dark had to be involved in what was ultiamtely the bulk of it, for some reason.

3 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Honestly, I thought it was generally agreed upon that that was an neat setup for some side adventures. And that it was too bad Team Dark had to be involved in what was ultiamtely the bulk of it, for some reason.

I guess it's just me wishing she had more meaningful interactions with Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

I agree with idea or rather I also hope that the Phantom Ruby...whatever the hell that was stops. Because... just due to the nature of sonic you could never use that ability to its fullest potentially because despite its dark spots... a comic for children and teenagers.

That said, they could do something interesting with the aftermath. I could see a lot of people not trusting shadow, given shadow decided to go on a random vacation and let clones exist in his stead terrorizing everyone. That might be an interesting narrative angle... if they don't quickly move past forces entirely and pretend it kind of didn't happen besides the aftermath

As for the amy thing, seems fine. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Shadowlax said:

That said, they could do something interesting with the aftermath. I could see a lot of people not trusting shadow, given shadow decided to go on a random vacation and let clones exist in his stead terrorizing everyone. That might be an interesting narrative angle... if they don't quickly move past forces entirely and pretend it kind of didn't happen besides the aftermath

This is very interesting! A good reason for Shadow to be in the comic.

It would give him a unique dynamic with normal folks when he is ever around them. This could be intensified if they wanted to say , shadow's game took place on sonic's planet instead of... both when they were ( despite iizuka's instance they weren't ) were a single thing. 

Could net you a story about why shadow even bothers to do the right thing anyway, and possible insecurities that come with his position. 

Maybe it really is the previous comic and Boom's relationship dynamic with Sonic and Amy being more playful and at odds friends but something about him being less than accommodating to one of his long time friends is really rubbing me the wrong way too. I get it, the popular version of the character is clingy. What I'm saying is that that characterization has been more or less dead and for good reason. It's beyond tired and is such a juvenile attitude where Sonic gets to bounce off of her like "ew, nah, girls have cooties and will take away your free time to adventure and stuff". She flirts with Sonic now but is less clingy and weird about it unless a writer shoe horns some weird Sonic doll in. 

Like, he wasn't this grumpy to Tails being there in the City. Is he seriously that grumpy that Amy's there even though she hasn't even threatened marriage on him like she did in Heroes? Or is he really that grumpy that someone popped his bubble about him being an impenetrable ball of awesome as her first quip is that he's getting sloppy and that someone was Amy of all people? Sheesh. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it's just to show that "Sonic doesn't want a girlfriend, and Amy is the one that has a crush on him" in 3 panels.

Then, we will get good interactions beyond that.

latest?cb=20120806175618

debug_seq11.png

66363-Sonic_Riders-1-thumb.jpg

12 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

I'm hoping it isn't just Sonic who gets praised like it seems like.

Isn't it almost always the case?

This reminds me of Fleetway Sonic:

*Badnik soldiers attack a town*

Citizen 1: "Somebody help!"

Citizen 2: "Where are Sonic or Shortfuse?"

*Tails attacks the Badnik soldiers*

Citizen 1: "Tails? I'll guess he have to do..."

Citizen 2: "Oh man. I wanted to be rescued by Sonic..."

:sweat_smile:

8 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

I guess it has to do with how she arguably has the greater tendency to be flanderized and poorly written than most of the other characters and many didn't like how she was treated by Ian, especially in cases like Issue 222 as many see him as pushing her aside in favor of Sally. 

The ridiculous thing is that I remember that some people said that Ian wanted to push Amy aside for Sally and others said that he wanted to push Sally aside for Amy...

17 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Wait , Tracey Yardley is selling these???

39 minutes ago, SaberX said:

Are you comparing Sonic and Tails brother relatioship with Amy? And btw, she doesnt need to ask for marriage to be potentially annoying.

I think now I see the picture of the situation.

I guess the problem is that the way Sonic talked to Amy and his facial expressions give off the impression that he doesn't have much respect for her in the comics. Granted, I might just be taking things too seriously as I often do and it is just the first few pages, so context might set things right.

• Thumbs Up 1

If anything it's kind of weird because I don't recall Sonic reacting to Amy like this in the games for what feels like a pretty long time. I know he used to, especially from Adventure to Heroes, but it seemed like his annoyance to her presence was dialed way down after that, not to mention their different interactions in Boom. I can't really say I prefer Sonic being annoyed at her, but I'd be lying if I said it bothered me back during the Adventure days either.

• Thumbs Up 3

Issue #2 will lay out the definitive characterization of Amy Rose going forward in the IDW series, and according to Joe who said after reading issue #2 that Amy is now his favorite character, I have a hunch we are going to like the new Amy. Ian described her as being characterized as an individual and a combatant like we have never seen before.

Source: https://sonicsourceblog.wordpress.com/2018/03/26/wondercon-2018-sonic-town-hall/

That's what they said during Wondercon about Amy

• Thumbs Up 3

Dark spots. The sonic comic has always touched dark areas regardlessof it being a book for mixed audiences.  I hope idw let's them do the same

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

2 hours ago, Sean said:

If anything it's kind of weird because I don't recall Sonic reacting to Amy like this in the games for what feels like a pretty long time. I know he used to, especially from Adventure to Heroes, but it seemed like his annoyance to her presence was dialed way down after that, not to mention their different interactions in Boom. I can't really say I prefer Sonic being annoyed at her, but I'd be lying if I said it bothered me back during the Adventure days either.

What kind of made it more jarring to me was that this comic takes place after Forces, so I would assume Sonic would think more highly of Amy given how much better their relationship has gotten in recent games when compared to the Adventure to Heroes games (not counted Generations).

Again, I shouldn't be judging too harshly or rashly.

Fun fact: apparently SEGA of Japan didn't like it when Sonic put his hand to Amy's face as they found it to be out of character.

29 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Dark spots. The sonic comic has always touched dark areas regardlessof it being a book for mixed audiences.  I hope idw let's them do the same

I don't think Sonic being annoyed with Amy is exactly a dark spot.

One artist for each arc. The other option is kinda jarring, especially in compilations.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

2 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

"Issue #2 will lay out the definitive characterization of Amy Rose going forward in the IDW series, and according to Joe who said after reading issue #2 that Amy is now his favorite character, I have a hunch we are going to like the new Amy. Ian described her as being characterized as an individual and a combatant like we have never seen before."

Source: https://sonicsourceblog.wordpress.com/2018/03/26/wondercon-2018-sonic-town-hall/

That's what they said during Wondercon about Amy

Aside from whether "NEVER SEEN BEFORE" is a good idea, this entire quote reminds me of the "She is a strong independent woman (who needs no man)" joke I saw on a movie review video. 

14 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

QUESTION: Guys do you prefer:

1-One artist for each issue

2-Or one artist for each arc?

and why?

I'd prefer one for each arc.

8 minutes ago, KoDaiko said:

Aside from whether "NEVER SEEN BEFORE" is a good idea, this entire quote reminds me of the "She is a strong independent woman (who needs no man)" joke I saw on a movie review video. 

Even if Amy doesn’t need a man, I still think she should want Sonic. It would feel wrong for Amy’s feelings for Sonic to be taken away entirely. The best they can do, is make her more mature and patient towards Sonic. 

I do agree with others that Sonic acted harsh towards Amy in the preview of issue 2. Lately, Sonic and Amy’s interactions have really developed, so it seems kind of backwards to see Sonic treating her rudely again. Especially since this is a sequel to Forces, Sonic had no problems with Amy in Forces, although they barely interacted with each other in that game...

Hopefully, issue 2 gives better development for Sonic and Amy.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, DaddlerTheDalek said:

The ridiculous thing is that I remember that some people said that Ian wanted to push Amy aside for Sally and others said that he wanted to push Sally aside for Amy...

That's a good example of how generally speaking, Shipping! Is! NONSENSE!

Also, He brought that up in a fairly recent Bumblekast.

3 hours ago, Sean said:

That's a fairly good point. Eve in Generations, it was more or less just a visual gag to show that while Amy is generally clomp happy, it also showed that Sonic has gotten used to her enough to literally put her on hold for a second.

3 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

I wonder what Ian has in mind for her.

Probably incorporating a middle ground between some of her Boom characterization and the era of the Modern games that he said he preferred.

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

Fun fact: apparently SEGA of Japan didn't like it when Sonic put his hand to Amy's face as they found it to be out of character.

Really now? 

• Thumbs Up 1