IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

5 minutes ago, Razule said:

So now Sega has a mandate that villains can't be drawn too cute

happy_chao_by_darkmetaller.png

Goodbye Dark Chao, you are too cute.

• Chuckle 6

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

Given that Jennifer didn't know she was drawing a cover at first I don't think it was ready.

Also apparently she had to redraw some of issue 3 because Sega thought she was drawing Rough too cute. XD Just a fun fact.

How did you know that?

What's the source?

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

Given that Jennifer didn't know she was drawing a cover at first I don't think it was ready.

Also apparently she had to redraw some of issue 3 because Sega thought she was drawing Rough too cute. XD Just a fun fact.

Oh really? That's something funny.

1 hour ago, Jack the Maniac said:

Crossover?

I knew Rough reminded me of something else.

4 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

How did you know that?

What's the source?

It was on her twitter. I think it was her locked one though and I'm not giving it out.

I don't think they have mandates on villains being too cute in general, it's just that this one looks like he's supposed to be an unhinged psychopath and being portrayed overly cute isn't too beneficial for their presentation. 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

I don't think they have mandates on villains being too cute in general, it's just that this one looks like he's supposed to be an unhinged psychopath and being portrayed overly cute isn't too beneficial for their presentation. 

I'm a bit surprised that they care about how a non-SEGA character is represented.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

I'm also surprised that they're concerned with how the comic exclusive characters are portrayed. Sega really is overseeing everything that goes on in this book. Ehhhhhhhhhh. Like, I get the worry considering Ken Penders' case happened, but this is Ian Flynn and trustworthy artists. Don't tie their hands down too tight or people like myself will notice. I certainly noticed when they didn't allow Sonic Boom to be fully out there like was planned. 

I get an IP holder being antsy about how characters are portrayed, but last I checked Sega doesn't even know how these characters are supposed to be. I'm really not caring for them having too close an eye on these comics. 

I mean, they don't know these characters like most of the fans who ended up working with them if Sonic Mania and the Archie Comics post-Penders were any indication. 

Still, the book is serviceable, but it's also only starting out. I just hope it gets really exciting soon. I'll have to admit to being this book's biggest critic because I find myself comparing it to everyone's past work and being generally unimpressed. 

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, LongcrierCat said:

but this is Ian Flynn and trustworthy artists.

Well to be fair, Ian isn't exactly a perfect writer, and he has had some major slip up over the years, so SEGA is reasonable in overseeing how he writes the characters.

I mean, that's fair. Sonic and Sally as an item never really felt natural as it was a thing that just kind of had to happen because of how media is written by mostly straight people. I certainly prefer them being good childhood friends that happen to fight for the same cause and Sally being more or less infatuated with Nicole. 

But I liked that the Sonic Ian wrote tended to get in on character development and have an actual personality besides "oh man, I'm so cool guys. Watch me eat this chilidog while I bust these robots, yeah!" Sonic being cool is fun, but it's been one note for a while now. I like how the kind of relationship dynamic with Sonic and his friends still exist but I also couldn't help but groan that all of the Resistance is fawning over him. God, I get it. He's awesome. Now pull him down some pegs. This is why Sally and Sonic's relationship was a top feature of the Archie books. Tails was allowed to be the little brother with some concern but also have an adult Sonic's age to talk some sense into him. I mean, while characters are getting to talk, have them say things that matter,  you know? Sonic Mania Adventures gets to be without dialogue in that it's borrowing a ton of Golden Age cartoon logic with silent storytelling that's pantomimed out. It's a near perfect version of Sonic as a silent cartoon. It gets a lot of it played extremely well with Tyson Hesse's direction. Sonic gets to even have a comeuppance in the first episode. That's neat. 

I just hope Sega's not too high on the Sonic is always Cool Rule that they have in this book. It bothers me a ton. It strikes me too much of Johnny Test when Sonic should be on the level with Steven Universe. 

That's my two cents with maybe a lack of sense. 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 1

So, I'm not really too much into the comics, but, now that IDW have the rights to the Sonic comics. Anybody think they going to make a tie-in comic for the upcoming movie? They did make tie-in comics for movies before.:

Spoiler

open-uri20170623-4-1496xqo?1498184739 967167.jpgAPR0737671.jpgeb61700fafba57352c22bb692f9d50c6_xl.jpg1134807.jpg5cc0cd4d1851f50e3b2ac0b65de07e0c_xl.jpgDEC110390_11.jpgJUN1003521.jpgMLP_MoviePreq04-coverA.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_p6un9voeEK1udzlioo1_1280.png

tumblr_p6un9voeEK1udzlioo2_1280.png

tumblr_p6un9voeEK1udzlioo3_1280.png

☝ So you can preview some Sonic issues in IDWs site by clicking the preview book button. Did that for issue 2 but there's three pages of the comic in the preview tho.

• Thumbs Up 8

9 minutes ago, Tangle-Ellipsis said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

Did Sonic just Spin Dash Boost through the Death Crab?

I love the villagers in issue 2! They look more like villagers.

In issue they looked more like city-people.

Spoiler

I hope they introduce the sheep with a name

6 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Hide contents

MLP_MoviePreq04-coverA.jpg

They made a variant cover for the My Little Pony: The Movie tie-in  comic that looks like the poster of Star Trek: The Motion Picture? That's awesome.

ABT is probably my favorite Sonic Artist (along with Evan Stanley and Diana Skelly).

His pages are so dynamic, and in a style closer to anime.

There was also another great artist in the pre-Reboot Archie days, Renae de Liz, I'd like to see her return to the book too.

sth198_1.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

10 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:
  Hide contents

Did Sonic just Spin Dash Boost through the Death Crab?

Spoiler

Yes, he did go through him! This page remind me so much Sonic CD!  TuO6.gif

10 hours ago, Tangle-Ellipsis said:
  Reveal hidden contents

☝ So you can preview some Sonic issues in IDWs site by clicking the preview book button. Did that for issue 2 but there's three pages of the comic in the preview tho.

Spoiler

Who did the Colors? That doesn't look like Herms style.

As for whether they'll do a movie Tie-In. Probably. Like Ya Said they've done them before so it's totally possible.

ABT's art keeps getting better and better. Definitely taking more notice of his work now with IDW and the Forces preludes than his Archie stint.

33 minutes ago, SBR2 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Who did the Colors? That doesn't look like Herms style.

As for whether they'll do a movie Tie-In. Probably. Like Ya Said they've done them before so it's totally possible.

27 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

I think it's Herms.

It's just that the action occurs later in the day (near sundown).

It's most likely ABT himself. The coloring looks similar to the coloring he uses in his TLoZ comic.

To respond to the thing about sega managing non game characters, to keep it simple. They are going to be around, particularly around characters who will be in the games, so keeping an eye on them makes sense. Even the reboot there were instances of some characters kinda of being weird about themselves, I mean it was way better than the most of the pre-reboot. But I don't think that's the highest bar to clear

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I hope that SEGA doesn't have an iron fist on the non-game characters (and if they are, I hope they stop) somewhere down the line. I mean, that was one of the best things about the reboot: writers were allowed to work around mandates using these new characters. If SEGA's going to be more commanding, then it'll be harder to tell a better story. I know that's not really the "focus" for the first year, but it might make others give up on the comic for being basic. (not me personally, but some people might)