Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

9 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

Actually pretty sure there was a storyline in the comics where Kirk almost got Godlike powers, think it was during the Q storyline, have to go back & reread it though just to be sure.

And IDW was able to make the modern version of Splinter & The Turtles the reincarnations of a Samurai and his children, which changes the orgions a bit.  And Raph is in a realationship with a Fox character named Alopex.  They temporarily killed off Donnie and had his brain in a robot body...

So yea I would say IDW is allowed to do more

stuff with the properties they work with compared to Sonic's latter years at Archie.

Star Trek & Turtles License agreement != Sonic's.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, The KKM said:

Then why complain of mandates? The mandates didn't affect any of those characters, beyond at most a basic "they're now irrelevant". If anything, they were oddly pleasant with those characters- how many other licensed franchises do you see where characters from an obscure irrelevant decades-old spinoff media are given as much attention, and in some cases more attention, as the characters from the current product being promoted?

Because legacy characters have never happened in comics before, amirite?

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Speedi said:

As long as the mandates are kept within reason I don't have a reason to worry about it. Ian was able to write around the mandates Archie got and the series was the best it had ever been afterwards. So long as it's not limiting their creative freedom it really shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Not only that, but the mandates were also conveyed in a manner that was left up to the imagination...well from what we ever heard of them.

"Sonic could never lose".......an arc. he could lose at certain issues in an arc, to come back later for a comeback.

"Sonic can't cry", which is more so he can't really break down into a sobbing mess, which does make sense considering the character. Didn't stop him from being sad, distressed or even shedding a tear.

And so on, so fourth.

"More game-focused", by no means that we're saying goodbye to all the Archie characters.

• Thumbs Up 7

2 minutes ago, The KKM said:

Then why complain of mandates? The mandates didn't affect any of those characters, beyond at most a basic "they're now irrelevant". If anything, they were oddly pleasant with those characters- how many other licensed franchises do you see where characters from an obscure irrelevant decades-old spinoff media are given as much attention, and in some cases more attention, as the characters from the current product being promoted?

That would take some research thats for sure, other then TMNT I can't think of many off the top of my head.  But that doesn't mean they don't exist.

1 minute ago, Mayor D said:

Star Trek & Turtles License agreement != Sonic's.

Pointless antagonistic attitude=Helpful!?

Well if anything this thread is helping me discover who to add to the ignore list.

On to another topic.   

Question: Would SEGA be justified in screwing with both hardcore SEGA  & SATAM fans and just telling IDW to make the comic a continuation of Underground? XD

• Thumbs Up 1

Uh, no...that would be stupid and wouldn't make any sense anyway.

SEGA wants NOTHING to do with Underground as neither do the majority of us.

It's one of their mandates to make it off limits.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

Question: Would SEGA be justified in screwing with both hardcore SEGA  & SATAM fans and just telling IDW to make the comic a continuation of Underground? XD

Well the first reaction would be confusion, but hey, it would certainly please quite a few to see that show finally get its conclusion and then some. Of course going from there, focusing on more so explotis of the game characters afterwards, while also still regarding the Freedom Fighters and Sonic's family too I guess.

Just now, Dee Dude said:

It's one of their mandates to make it off limits.

Is it really?

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, SonicComicFanboy said:

Pointless antagonistic attitude=Helpful!?

Well if anything this thread is helping me discover who to add to the ignore list.

You keep bringing up the other franchises having loads of freedom as being proof this is the case with Sonic... dude it's not. We have a really good idea how strict Sega is these days with Sonic, we've had people tell us stuff that's been in license agreements, we know a lot more about what exactly is in the modern Sonic bible and how strict it is with what can and cannot be done. 

Add onto that how Sega has been strongly trying to control how Sonic is seen and used by licensees it really doesn't look like there is going to be anything as wild as what other franchises under IDW got... yet you keep bringing it up as some kind of 'well they did it so they must'.

And if you want to put me on your ignore list, considering you've yet to actually even attempt to debate with me and the last time I actually posted a challenge to your opinion you practically ran away I see no loss to be honest. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

Because legacy characters have never happened in comics before, amirite?

Hyperbowl_1.png

Honestly? To the point Archie Sonic did? I strain to remember.

Franchises like TMNT or core Disney comics might have them, but that misses the point that the franchise itself is legacy. You may be able to see, say, Horace Horsecollar in Mickey comics despite Horace not being relevant since the 1930s, but I can assure you that if the IDW Ducktales comics, you know, the ones actually about a current product and thus equiparable to the Sonic comics, tried to make Horace a main character over Launchpad, Disney would have words to say about that. Yet SEGA didn't with, say, Sally being a main character over Knuckles.

You don't realise how good you had it, man.

• Thumbs Up 2

Because MadmanRB has continued to argue in bad faith and deliberately strawman points to get a rise out of people he disagrees with (after a mod has told him not to in the past), we've given him a strike and a suspension.  Please direct the conversation elsewhere.

• Thumbs Up 7

6 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

You keep bringing up the other franchises having loads of freedom as being proof this is the case with Sonic... dude it's not. We have a really good idea how strict Sega is these days with Sonic, we've had people tell us stuff that's been in license agreements, we know a lot more about what exactly is in the modern Sonic bible and how strict it is with what can and cannot be done. 

Add onto that how Sega has been strongly trying to control how Sonic is seen and used by licensees it really doesn't look like there is going to be anything as wild as what other franchises under IDW got... yet you keep bringing it up as some kind of 'well they did it so they must'.

And if you want to put me on your ignore list, considering you've yet to actually even attempt to debate with me and the last time I actually posted a challenge to your opinion you practically ran away I see no loss to be honest. 

You've already made up your mind about the characters and how you think the franchise should be handled so debating is pointless and a waste of both our time.  So yea.

But yea, again we won't know whats what till the solicits come out so all any of us can do is wait.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Dee Dude said:

Yeah, along with X, and even the OVA.

Where has such explicitly been stated in regards to those ones?

4 minutes ago, Dee Dude said:

Aosth and Satam were applied too, but managed to get pass.

Eh,  considering how characters from those shows still got to participate in the Archie series, it doesn't seem like Underground is that much an impossibilty. 

Depends on which Mom and siblings Sonic will have in the IDW line. 

• Thumbs Up 1

From what Ian's been saying lately, the reason AoSTH and SatAM got to remain was a literal grandfathering- not because they were there already, but because the original contracts that kept being renewed had covered not just the games but AoSTH and SatAM too. With new contracts being made for IDW now, it's much more likely AoSTH and SatAM content will go the way of Underground and X.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, SonicComicFanboy said:

You've already made up your mind about the characters and how you think the franchise should be handled so debating is pointless and a waste of both are times.  So yea.

Well I'm not going to sit here and watch you try to convince people of stuff which you've just made up or spun to try and make your argument sound like it's a good one. If you don't want to try and challenge or defend that really isn't any skin off my nose. Just makes your argument look all the more weaker.

6 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Well I'm not going to sit here and watch you try to convince people of stuff which you've just made up or spun to try and make your argument sound like it's a good one. If you don't want to try and challenge or defend that really isn't any skin off my nose. Just makes your argument look all the more weaker.

Whatever makes you continue to feel superior to others brah.

@KKM:  Oh no doubt thats a possibility, though its also possible IDW could ask for an agreement simillar to Archie's in terms of character usage.

Again all any of us can do is wait and see what the final product looks like whenever solicitations finally hit.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh I don't doubt IDW might try to ask for it, if I were them I'd ask for an agreement to use pretty much everything. I just doubt SEGA will go along, and though I'll lament that, it's pretty understandable I'd say. Like Ian said, it's a miracle these SatAM concepts got to last this long in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

Whatever makes you continue to feel superior to others brah.

This kind of argument is likewise unacceptable.  If you're going to drop out of an argument, that is your right to do so.  But acting smarmy about it without even having a counterpoint is just another method of flaming.  So basically don't do it.

• Thumbs Up 4

The fact that SEGA specifically mentioned a new direction and a brand new comic series means we won't have the old Archie cast. I mean, I guess at most I can expect to see the Freedom Fighters separately from Sonic & co. Like have them name dropped or something as the police force in the new world, or have them as cameos in the background. And this is at most. Given how SEGA has been trying to get the Sonic series consistent and with one identity, I fully expect this to be a SEGA-only characters comic. I'm still hopeful for new additions to the cast like a one-off baddie or something since I can't recall any licensed comic I've read that hasn't had exclusive characters introduced at some point. Gotta keep the comic fresh, you know? 

I made my peace multiple times.  Just because he didn't feel it was valid or worthwhile doesn't mean I should have to bend over backwards.

Anywho either way even if the off chance the book does end up rubbish IDW will still have plenty of other great books.  Just would be sad to see them not be able to give it their all on Sonic.

My ideal scenario would have them appear in the same level of importance as, dunno. The Babylon Rogues were in Archie? Or Chaotix? Not main characters, but appear occasionally, like any other such character. But then again, that would've been my ideal scenario even back in Archie too anyway.

• Thumbs Up 8

5 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

I made my peace multiple times.  Just because he didn't feel it was valid or worthwhile doesn't mean I should have to bend over backwards.

Nobody's asking you to? If you're done with this argument, be done with it.

12 minutes ago, The KKM said:

My ideal scenario would have them appear in the same level of importance as, dunno. The Babylon Rogues were in Archie? Or Chaotix? Not main characters, but appear occasionally, like any other such character. But then again, that would've been my ideal scenario even back in Archie too anyway.

I wouldn't mind this but not as rare as they did the Rogues. the Chaotix though were getting more pagetime as the post-reboot went on.

• Thumbs Up 3

What do you mean not as rare as the Rogues they didn't even appear post-reboot. 

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

What do you mean not as rare as the Rogues they didn't even appear post-reboot. 

Extreme gear did, though.

So by extension...? Kinda?

One thing I would say about a possible eventual conclusion for Sonic Mega Drive (probably the most likely bit of Archie content to appear again, characters or otherwise if you ask me) is that they actually cancel the Overdrive issue completely and just simply skip ahead and release the completed trilogy in a paperback release. 

Considering it's likely gonna have been around at least two years since the original part 1 release it'd just seem weird for them to release a concluding issue after all that time. Heck it'd even given the paperback a further marketing push if it contains the exclusive conclusion to the saga.

• Thumbs Up 6