Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

1 hour ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

Didn't see this posted anywhere so here's the promo image.  Nothing special but the 3D render looks nice.

*surprise Sonic is the only character in the book and its just 32 pages of him having existentialist conversations with himself.* 

IMG_20170722_005836.jpg

That seems to be from a licensing book cover from last month. 

http://issuu.com/lemapublisihng/docs/ltw_june_2017?e=13786853/48654847

• Thumbs Up 2

Nice to hear that this form of Sonic media will not die. I don't know much about how the new publisher works, but I'm here hoping that they're going to form an ambitious team for the project.

What I'll miss the most is how Archie had two Sonic series running at the same time where one tended to put characters other than Sonic in the spotlight. I'm not sure if that will happen again with IDW.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

I hope you're ready for this crossover. IT'S GONNA FUCKING HAPPEN!

MLP02.jpg

And what about Star Trek? :)

OH, YEAH! This should epic! And like current TMNT, with elements and characters from previous versions (not only Sally, Bunnie, e.t.c. Even with Manic and Sonia), with more development game characters, without dumb rules from SEGA (like - no couples for game characters), and super epic!

Quit to Twitter, with my wishes. :)

My biggest worry is that the comics just go for full comedy like the early Archie comics. I'm just not sure SEGA is interested in having them do something like Archie has been doing. But we'll see I guess.

As for old characters, I don't need the Freedom Fighters, but I'd be OK with them getting in. In TMNT, they've brought back characters from multiple different continuities, while having plenty of new characters, all while keeping plenty of focus on the Turtles themselves, so I don't think this is impossible. I'd hate if it was just the game cast. At the very least I want some new supporting characters.

On crossovers, TMNT would, of course, be great. I don't need MLP. IDW seems to have a decent relationship with DC, so a Sonic and The Flash crossover would be cool. Eventually the whole Justice League with the Sonic cast, too.

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't see a crossover happening for at least 18 months at least. Give the comic time to get going before things get crazy.

• Thumbs Up 4

He's at it again.

But anyways, I literally jumped out of my bed when I saw this news. All I want now is for Ian Flynn and all the others to return for this new series.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

He's at it again.

But anyways, I literally jumped out of my bed when I saw this news. All I want now is for Ian Flynn and all the others to return for this new series.

I don't get it...

People didn't lose any sleep over the past creators due to being... Lackluster, right?

I'll admit, from the Penders era there were moments I enjoyed now and then but... I don't think I can recall anyone I'd lose sleep over personally either compared to those who were presently doing things, especially the most recent writer who by doing GODS work SOMEHOW made Sonic Team's version of Eggman someone I liked again.

That man... He's so good/bold he could play a fiddle against the Devil and win.

• Thumbs Up 2

Possible crossovers with Sonic thanks to the new publishing company:

• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
  • Doctor Who.
  • The Transformers.
  • Star Trek.
  • My Little Pony. 
  • Castlevania.
  • Mickey Mouse.
  • Thumbs Up 2

I learned about this thing along with the cancellation of the Archie Comics. Honestly, I do not know what to think. I know only that Sonic and friends have moved to a bigger house but I can not get a complete judgment on IDW having read a few comics coming here in Italy (maybe I'm ignorant and there are so many). Do you think that might be okay? I'm scared but excited by this announcement ... but I do not really know what they can do. The thought of not seeing certain characters from Archie makes me sad ...

• Thumbs Up 1

Hopeful they keep with Archie's ideas of using the comics to explore characters from long dead brands. I'd prefer we don't make this a comic that takes place between games.

I'd assume IDW has done their market research and understands the hit to the consumer base they'd take without say, Sally as a character. Archie kept characters alive who are basically dead otherwise, and I'd say that helped bolster its following.

I'd assume a lot of older readers left with the soft reboot changing the timeline, based on how many older gamers love the older Sonic stuff (and not just the classics) but shun the newer titles. So, while there's certainly an opportunity to start fresh... one shouldn't jettison easy subscriptions either.

Guess we'll see where this goes.

• Thumbs Up 4

7 minutes ago, Lord Liquiir (Ogilvie) said:

So, while there's certainly an opportunity to start fresh... one shouldn't jettison easy subscriptions either.

Uh, a moot point for them considering they don't do subscriptions. 

Just now, VEDJ-F said:

Readership, then. People who will actually make a point to pick it up.

Certainly hope they have digital copies, though.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Since I don't actually know, do they do monthly comics?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Polkadi said:

Since I don't actually know, do they do monthly comics?

Absolutely, just like any other comic publisher. 

It's just that it's not financially viable for them to offer a subscription service for them. At least, that's what I found while looking up how they run their stuff. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Detective Kaito said:

Possible crossovers with Sonic thanks to the new publishing company:

• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
  • Doctor Who.
  • The Transformers.
  • Star Trek.
  • My Little Pony. 
  • Castlevania.
  • Mickey Mouse.

Titan does the Doctor Who comics now, so that can be crossed off the list. As for other crossovers, I doubt they'll do any straightaway since they gotta establish their own comic first before mashing it up with another. Maybe 1-2 years down the line we'll see a proper one I guess. 

When ROM launched though, a buncha other IDW comics got variant covers based off that so I could see something similar happening for Sonic - and who knows, if a specific cover is super-popular maybe we'll get something directly based off that?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

Absolutely, just like any other comic publisher. 

It's just that it's not financially viable for them to offer a subscription service for them. At least, that's what I found while looking up how they run their stuff. 

So how do people get their physical issues then? just straight comic book retailers?

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm so glad about this! IDW is a great publisher. Now, as for the burning topic...

I personally don't want the Freedom Fighters because they detract focus from the game characters, imagine that this new comic will not have Sonic Universe to give stories to the game cast, so their only chance to shine is in the main book, how can they fit in if the main book is all about Sally, Rotor, Antoine and Bunnie like Archie was? I don't want a 32 page ad either, that's my biggest fear, I want epic adventurous story arcs written by someone competent like Ian Flynn who is a Sonic fan and knows the franchise perfectly.

@Ryannumber1gamer; the way you kept talking about either "My way or highway" made me think of Reservoir Dogs again. :D

Jeez, I'd like to say something about gut feelings and trusting them but then again, I suppose people already know my stand on this. -_-

I'm not too sad if some stuff is lost, most of all/at least I'd like to keep the characters and their personalities (talking about Archie comics cast, FF included). That'd keep me content enough, especially if Mr. Flynn, Mr. Yardley and the others can be part of the crew making this series 

That said I'm still beyond pissed. The handling of this "episode" wasn't quite alright...

@Chris Knopps et al; I ROFLed to that conversation probably too much, thanks for bringing some light into my world. :D

Everyone has rights to take interests of what they want as long as that isn't hurting others I'd say. After all, I don't know of any law against reading comics any way... :huh:

• Thumbs Up 1

It would be impossible not to have original characters though, how do you make unique stories without them?

• Thumbs Up 3

I've only ever looked at the post-reboot stuff from Archie, and that first Sonic Universe arc [and one featuring the Chaotix that I can't remember the title of].
From what I was reading of it, I liked the stuff. It did a good job of featuring characters and having them do things. Of course, only being a part of the post-reboot stuff I have little experience of the Freedom Fighters, but I'm not one to say "Never! Keep them away!" If they can be introduced in a way that sets them up as interesting characters, I'd be fine with that. Just like with the crossovers. If they can be done in a way that sets up some great interactions between characters from those universes, I'm not going to shun it. For instance, there's a few Power Rangers team-ups I don't like as much as others due to there being little interaction between teams.

As for the way IDW handle the comic, a main running series is obvious, but maybe smaller mini-series for some characters as well, like what Universe was doing. So a Chaotix mini-series that could run four comics long, then be brought back the year after with a new story. Of course, it's best to introduce the main series first and get the main characters going. It'd need a good set-up story arc featuring those main characters and plenty of character and world building.

We'll see come 2018.

I could see idw going for the kind of direction the sonic x comics went.

I just hope if they do crossovers they do it separate books. I really don't want to go through another Worlds Collide/Unite again...even though the first crossover was well timed.

• Thumbs Up 3

19 minutes ago, antyep said:

I just hope if they do crossovers they do it separate books. I really don't want to go through another Worlds Collide/Unite again...even though the first crossover was well timed.

IDW's crossovers are always seperate mini's.  Also they do a fair amount of crossovers with DC comics, whom they have a pretty good realationship with.  So don't be surprised if we get a Sonic/Flash crossover down the line.  *Hopefully one just as good as the Batman/TMNT Green Lantern/Star Trek ones.

Another funfact IDW also has the comic rights to video game series like Skylanders & Silent Hill.  Make of that what you will.  

• Thumbs Up 6

12 hours ago, CrystalStorm51 said:

I meant without the SatAMness and Freedom Fighters and all. That's what.

Could you elaborate on what "SatAMness" means in this context? Otherwise, it just sounds like you just have a grudge against the characters because they were in SatAM.

Not saying you do, just that it's what it sounds like without more info.

• Thumbs Up 3

They have Uncle Scrooge too, right?

I know it'll never happen, but, Scrooge was the comics my father read as a kid...a Sonic and Scrooge crossover would...

Nope. It'd be dumb.

• Thumbs Up 1