Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

12 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I'm excited just to see this new series in general. Forget wondering if they're going to keep or lose what came before, the idea of a blank slate and something new based on Sonic forming from it just tickles me inside.

There's a chance I may be disappointed by whatever they decide to do or what kind of Sonic comic they write but this space in between wondering what it'll be is a nice feeling to have.

Much better than the one empty space I had for about a day when there were no more comics to speak of in general.

I'd be more into the blank slate thing were it not for the fact that we just got that. 

Even if you remove the Freedom Fighters from the equation entirely, there is still a lot there that was cut from whole cloth that would have to be replaced again.

3 hours ago, Speedi said:

All of them are reasonable ideas except Knuckles as a main character. Due to his function as the guardian of the Master Emerald (good at it or not) he really doesn't have the free time to just decide to join Sonic and his friends on their adventures regularly. He'd probably just be a character who sometimes shows up depending on the stakes of the situation to help out.

Considering we barely see him do that in the games any more, might not be as big an issue as we think. Heck, Ian had just finished putting a mechanism in place before that might have freed up some of Knuckles' time.

At this point, though, the more I think about it, the better the idea of Classic and Modern Sonic being separate dimensional counterparts sounds, especially if they do have to do a full comic reboot. Maybe then Classic could still retain some of those older elements arguably associated more with it, while Modern would have the newer cast to be the here and now.

Aside from the continuity, this may just be the best way to make everyone happy.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

I'd be more into the blank slate thing were it not for the fact that we just got that. 

Even if you remove the Freedom Fighters from the equation entirely, there is still a lot there that was cut from whole cloth that would have to be replaced again.

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you mean. If you're talking about the rebooted version of the Archie comics, then I don't consider that a blank slate. Personally. 

And I'm not sure what the second part of your statement is responding to. Unless you were just reaffirming your position on the matter here, which makes sense. 

Anyone know how to apply for a writing/artist gig with IDW? I looked on the website but didn't see anything. Might have missed it though.

Yeah, I'm just going to be cautiously optimistic about it as some others suggest about possible Sega mandating whether or not if the FFs get the green light and the tone of the comic getting skewed in the process. Also, would rather have the comics get treated more like the TMNT rather than MLPFiM since the quality with those have been not much up to par than it was in the beginning of their run, being on the quality decline somewhat from what I've heard. 

Though somewhat I would have liked Sonic to be handed over to BOOM! Studios comics: http://www.boom-studios.com/

http://www.boom-studios.com/SERIES/

Sonic Adventure Time with Steven Universe on The Planet of the Apes (and Chaos Emeralds turning into Crystal Gems, hello!), anyone? Also with the fitting Sonic Boom just says it all.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you mean. If you're talking about the rebooted version of the Archie comics, then I don't consider that a blank slate. Personally. 

And I'm not sure what the second part of your statement is responding to. Unless you were just reaffirming your position on the matter here, which makes sense. 

Shy of going back to ground zero, i.e. before the first game and anyone has met anyone or done anything at all, I feel like the reboot was as much a blank slate as we're likely to see.

And yeah, the second part was in service to that. I mean, take out the Freedom Fighters -- and, if it serves well, the backdrop of most of the games having already happened -- and there is still a ton of stuff that was newly introduced and only lightly touched on. Having to start all over again just sounds tiresome.

I mean, I guess if we did dial everything back to very much zero, that might kinda work, but still.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Chameleon94 said:

Very few people would buy a book just for the FFs. It's the reason why Universe focused on the Sega cast.

...except for the fact that plenty of those Universe arcs had non-Sega characters in leading roles, or co-starring with game characters as equals when they made the narrative for them, and they hardly sold any different. So that certainly isn't true.

As for the news, yeah it's great and many of us knew this was coming, but I'm personally not that excited for it yet until it confirmed the characters from Archie are gone for good. Me and many others read these comics not just for the game characters, but for older characters from the cartoons that have come aboard, the Egg Bosses, and the scrapped game cast like Nack and Bean that only saw any real light in the comics. Each had varying levels of focus, sometimes more, sometimes less, and that was something I enjoyed more than the games-every character got their chance to shine, then took a break before coming back. Yeah, the FF appeared more often, but contrary to what their opposition wants to paint as characters who stole focus from the ones they preferred to see, their presence was one that they shared with the game cast--and I'd argue Universe actually helped even that focus out more, so barring any chance of us getting stories told from two views with separate comics in the same setting, I don't see how this can't be done again here.

I don't mind a fresh start as long as I can have them back, otherwise this is gonna be a flat read with me.

Oh, and Ian Flynn. Can't ever forget that guy.

• Thumbs Up 9

Agreed.  A Sonic comic without the Freedom Fighters & Flynn isn't much of a book at all.

Also one thing to remember the Freedom Fighters didn't just show up in Cartoons and Comics.  They were in all kinds of Sonic merch back in the day, incuding chapter books and look & finds.  Haters & SOJ can deny all they want but the FF are a staple of Sonic's Legacy just as much as anything else.  I still have the merch to prove it.

*Still regret never being able to find that SEGAWorld Sally plush or the Sonic Little Golden Book anywhere growing up & now they are all overpriced online.*

rot_e6617f80-8dfa-473e-a68b-470b344504c3.jpg

• Thumbs Up 5

4 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

Agreed.  A Sonic comic without the Freedom Fighters & Flynn isn't much of a book at all.

I'd be careful saying this, because that's not necessarily true.

At the same time, the Freedom Fighters and Flynn have a following whether people like it or not. I'd at the very least hope Sega and IDW realize that.

• Thumbs Up 9

Also one thing to remember the Freedom Fighters didn't just show up in Cartoons and Comics.  They were in all kinds of Sonic merch back in the day, incuding chapter book and look & finds.  Haters & SOJ can deny all they want but the FF are a staple of Sonic's Legacy just as much as anything else.  I still have the merch to prove it.

Ok so this level of entitlement is exactly why I don't want IDW trying to use the Freedom Fighters.

No Sonic continuity is obligated to include spinoff characters just because of some ancient cartoons and children's books and a recently canceled comic. Archie Sonic fans don't own the concept of Sonic comics.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

I'd be careful saying this, because that's not necessarily true.

At the same time, the Freedom Fighters and Flynn have a following whether people like it or not. I'd at the very least hope Sega and IDW realize that.

True Yardly & Stanly also wrote some enjoyable stories.  As did a couple of the writers pre-Flynn.  Hopefully IDW will consider talking to at least some of them about the new book.

Edit:  It's no more entitled then the people saying the characters don't deserve to be in the book at all.

Again though I agree I misspoke on Flynn being the only one able to write the book, others could do just as good a job if not better.  Just have to wait & see.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Ok so this level of entitlement is exactly why I don't want IDW trying to use the Freedom Fighters.

And in all fairness, this level of spite because of fan attachment and loss doesn't do you any favors either.

• Thumbs Up 8

2 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

And in all fairness, this level of spite because of fan attachment and loss doesn't do you any favors either.

This isn't about spite, this is about not wanting a new series to be poisoned by expectations of it being a continuation of Archie Sonic, and my own simple dislike/apathy of the Archie Sonic characters.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Diogenes said:

This isn't about spite, this is about not wanting a new series to be poisoned by expectations of it being a continuation of Archie Sonic, and my own simple dislike/apathy of the Archie Sonic characters.

Selfish then. Not much of a difference from where I stand given your wants actively shun and mock that of others upset over what they loss.

• Thumbs Up 8

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

Honestly that sounds pretty spiteful to me.

And its not like those who are purists for the regular SEGA versions be it modern or classic don't already have everything else.  You have the games and pretty much every other form of merchindise for Classic & Modern SEGASonic.  Is it really so bad if we Satam/Archie fans are able to have this one thing?

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Selfish then. Not much of a difference from where I stand given your wants actively shun and mock that of others upset over what they loss.

If you think "this new comic series doesn't inherently belong to you just because a comic you like ended recently" counts as mockery to you...I really don't feel like the mistake is on my end on that one.

I think IDW Sonic should be its own thing even if the thing it decides to be isn't exactly what I want out of Sonic. And I don't think getting caught up in the fallout of Archie Sonic ending would serve that purpose. I'm not going to deny that I have no personal interest in the Archie Sonic cast so I'd rather they not appear, but that's not the only reason I'm making this argument.

Is it really so bad if we Satam/Archie fans are able to have this one thing?

If IDW decides that's the direction they want to take, that's their choice to make. But you are not owed a comic with your preferred cast. You are not being betrayed if they decide against using the Freedom Fighters. I know it sucks to lose a series you were a fan of, but I don't think that trying to make this new comic into a direct replacement for it is in its best interests.

• Thumbs Up 5

17 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

If you think "this new comic series doesn't inherently belong to you just because a comic you like ended recently" counts as mockery to you...I really don't feel like the mistake is on my end on that one.

I'd say that counts as a strawman, because literally no one even remotely made such claim like that. Not even SonicComicFanboy, whom you're trying to paint that on when they claimed that the FF and the likes were a staple (which I actually don't agree with given how fractured the franchise is and how the Games are more the face).

I think IDW Sonic should be its own thing even if the thing it decides to be isn't exactly what I want out of Sonic. And I don't think getting caught up in the fallout of Archie Sonic ending would serve that purpose. I'm not going to deny that I have no personal interest in the Archie Sonic cast so I'd rather they not appear, but that's not the only reason I'm making this argument.

Whatever reason you're making that argument for, IDW Sonic would still be it's own thing regardless of whether it continues what Archie Sonic left off or not by the sheer fact that Sega transferred the licence to them and they've given them permission to do what they see fit within their guidelines, even if they've been granted permisson to bring back the cast and the like. You can call it Archie's baggage all you like should they decide to do just that, but it'll serve whatever purpose IDW have in mind instead of Archie's.

• Thumbs Up 3

But it is a direct replacement.  SEGA decided they still wanted a comic on the market so they worked to find a new publisher to feel the gap the loss of the Archie book has caused.  It would be bone headed to just throw away a long time steady install base of thousands of readers just to appease those that hate anything thats not from a Modern Sonic game.

The FF and older game characters still matter to alot of people.   And speaking of ths old game characters.  The Chaotix were exclusive to the comics for years before SEGA decided to start using them in the games again.  So  its important to keep the older/obscure game characters alive too.  Whose to say they won't decide to use Mighty & Ray again someday as well.  Having them in a comic so people are already familiar with them like The Chaotix doesn't hurt.

Basically its not a bad thing to keep old characters alive because you never know when you might want to dig into that back pocket and pull one out for a new game or cartoon.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm a StC fan, why don't all the StC characters come back for this new comic? You're just being selfish and spiteful if you don't want them back. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, ShroomZed said:

I'm a StC fan, why don't all the StC characters come back for this new comic? You're just being selfish and spiteful if you don't want them back. 

They're more than welcome to, so why not?

*nice job with the mockery, by the way*

• Thumbs Up 9

3 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

I'd say that counts as a strawman, because literally no one even remotely made such claim like that. Not even SonicComicFanboy, whom you're trying to paint that on when they claimed that the FF and the likes were a staple (which I actually don't agree with given how fractured the franchise is and how the Games are more the face).

They said, quote,

43 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

A Sonic comic without the Freedom Fighters & Flynn isn't much of a book at all.

I don't see how I'm wrong to read a certain degree of implied ownership into that. It may not be the book they're hoping to see, but a book of worth can absolutely be written without them, and there's really no connection thus far besides both being comics.

2 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

But it is a direct replacement.

In the sense that it's a new comic replacing the old comic, yes, but there's no indication that it's supposed to be a continuation of Archie Sonic.

It would be bone headed to just throw away a long time steady install base of thousands of readers just to appease those that hate anything thats not from a Modern Sonic game.

If they cared so much about keeping Archie Sonic's fanbase I would think they'd just keep Archie Sonic going. Why end a comic and start again with a new publisher if they didn't think there needed to be some major changes?

And speaking of ths old game chsrscters.  The Chaotix were exclusive to the comics for years before SEGA decided to start using them in the games again.  So you its important to keep the older/obscure game characters alive too.  Whose to say they won't decide to use Mighty & Ray again someday as well.  Having them in a comic so people are already familiar with them like The Chaotix doesn't hurt.

Basically its not a bad thing to keep old chsracters alive because you never know when you might want to dig into that back pocket and pull one out for a new game or cartoon.

There's no need to keep the characters "alive" in a comic, they can just revive them whenever they want. It can be detrimental, even, if the comic takes the characters in a different direction from what they want to do with them in the games. I doubt Archie's Chaotix did much to prepare people for detective Vector, ninja Espio, six-year-old Charmy, and no Mighty.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, ShroomZed said:

Dude, it be the ultimate comic series if they have both Archie and Fleetway characters! Btu sadly, unlike SatAM and post-Gen Archie chars, they are not owned by any branch of Sega.

• Thumbs Up 9

6 minutes ago, ShroomZed said:

I would love to see the STC characters in a comic again as well actually and think it kind of stinks they never showed back up outside a couple of background cameos in STH.

If SEGA Would ever let them use Tekno & Shortfuse in the new comic that would be awesome! 

Edit: @digones You know very well it was the legal mess caused by Penders & Fulop and Archie's incompitence that got the license pulled.  It has nothing to do with giving up on the actual readers of the book or any characters within.

• Thumbs Up 5

You guys realize I wasn't being serious with that post right? I was poking some fun on how people are accusing others of being selfish if they don't want characters from a now-dead continuity to return. 

• Thumbs Up 4

39 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

They said, quote,

I don't see how I'm wrong to read a certain degree of implied ownership into that. It may not be the book they're hoping to see, but a book of worth can absolutely be written without them, and there's really no connection thus far besides both being comics.

Because nothing in any of the words "A Sonic comic without the Freedom Fighters & Flynn isn't much of a book at all" can even be compared to the phrase "This new comic belongs to me and they owe me the stuff I like" or anything along those lines.

At best that was a statement at how empty a Sonic comic would be without the FF and Flynn and how big these things were to some people, not a personal ownership.

37 minutes ago, ShroomZed said:

You guys realize I wasn't being serious with that post right? I was poking some fun on how people are accusing others of being selfish if they don't want characters from a now-dead continuity to return. 

Really? Cause I was poking fun at how that doesn't work when you try to reverse it on those that are more open-minded to such things. Coulda fooled me.:rolleyes:

• Thumbs Up 7