Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

@Shadowlax This is why it's not very wise to speak in absolutes.

After all, almost every character has something of a fanbase. Especially since both Sonic Chronicles and the preboot Archie comics guaranteed that Omega would be known for something besides his connection to Shadow.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

Admittedly, Omega's does seem low even by Sonic character standards. Not that he doesn't have fans, not at all, but more often than not he's basically there as an accessory to the rest of Team Dark, otherwise there isn't that much investment in his character individually from the fanbase. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

Which probably wouldn’t be as much of the case if Sonic Team actually bother to use him more, but this is the same song and dance with every character barring Sonic, Tails, and Eggman, and to a minor extent Amy, Knux, and to sometimes Shadow.

• Thumbs Up 5

I wouldn't agree with that assessment to be honest. Even with Sonic Team not utilising them as much, Omega particularly stands out as one the fanbase generally has disinterest in, whereas a lot of other characters get more love individually. 

Yeah, I kinda noted that when I called him a minor character in my initial post.

But that’s not on the level of “no one cares” — Big himself was without a doubt one of the most hated characters in his debut, but I was around when Sega basically said they’d practically stop using him in the games and quitea number of people voiced their displeasure.

Obviously, that observation doesn’t mean that was a huge shake up in the grand scheme of things, but that does mean he has fans that care. And that is the main point I’m stating for Omega, not how much the fandom as a whole cares about him (which can’t be assessed). 

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Conquering Slay-bell Storm said:

Yeah, I kinda noted that when I called him a minor character in my initial post.

But that’s not on the level of “no one cares” — Big himself was without a doubt one of the most hated characters in his debut, but I was around when Sega basically said they’d practically stop using him in the games and quitea number of people voiced their displeasure.

Obviously, that observation doesn’t mean that was a huge shake up, but that does mean he has fans that care. And that is the main point I’m stating, not how much the fandom as a whole cares.

He even gets his own game. Why doesn't Omega get that much love?

2 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

He even gets his own game. Why doesn't Omega get that much love?

Probably because Sonic Team doesn’t care too much about him as of now. (Well more since Sonic Unleashed, but you get the point)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

If SEGA does decide to take the route of game adaptations, one thing I'd like to see in this comic is a Black Knight adaptation (that isn't a straight-up retelling of the game like Archie was) that focusing on the knights more, as well as adding Galahad and Lamorak to the story, and maybe even introducing more knights. Anybody think that this is a good idea?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

7 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

If SEGA does decide to take the route of game adaptations, one thing I'd like to see in this comic is a Black Knight adaptation (that isn't a straight-up retelling of the game like Archie was) that focusing on the knights more, as well as adding Galahad and Lamorak to the story, and maybe even introducing more knights. Anybody think that this is a good idea?

Maybe it could work. One thing is to have the knights not be so dependent on Sonic like they were in the original game. This does beg the question as to how they'll handle Merlina being the villain since it seems like a well-known twist now. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

5 hours ago, Conquering Slay-bell Storm said:

Obviously, that observation doesn’t mean that was a huge shake up in the grand scheme of things, but that does mean he has fans that care. And that is the main point I’m stating for Omega, not how much the fandom as a whole cares about him (which can’t be assessed). 

Yeah, I even said initially that Omega does have fans. But you just said that it was exactly the same situation for him as every other character, and I'm saying that's not true and lack of popularity does have a factor in his lack of attention even if he does have a small set of fans. This is something that can be assessed if you look around fandom pools and see how much they're discussed, how much art they get and other things that show interest in them.

• Thumbs Up 1

The way Ian handled Omega's introduction in the post-Genesis wave stories was very well done. Having him interact with Gamma was a very creative means of instilling his sense of purpose compared to Sonic Heroes where honestly I don't think it makes sense that Omega would suddenly grow to hate Eggman just for having him locked in a room to guard Shadow. Machines don't just develop autonomy by choice like that, they just follow orders which is what he was doing.

Just by this arc alone I'd consider myself a fan of Omega. He's a bit one note admittedly, but Ian wrote him well at Archie, I'm sure we'll continue seeing that same quality in IDW's new series. Maybe he'll even do more with Gamma before he inevitably dies; a rogue, assassin, Eggman robot is such a cool idea I'd like to see more done with it.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

@Shadowlax wayy to cut my post there and leave out the fact I did say I care. I CARE FOR PRETTY MUCH ALL CHARACTERS DEVELOPED BY SOME DEGREE.

Just wanted to make that latter sentence clear, even if I'm not constantly talking about them all, I can tell you I'm interested of them and I care about them. Of course there're characters I care more (obvious choices and not so obvious too) but heck I have a huge heart when it comes to stuff like this. I'd never dream of going all-out dismissive towards any characters in favour of some I hold most important to me knowing they might be very well someone else's favourites, I suppose I care too much about others' feelings all things considered. And I seriously hope I haven't done so unintentionally, if I have, I'm terribly sorry.

Which is prolly one reason why the cancellation made me so sour anyway. It was a massive hit and I might never get fully over with it.

But well, I suppose I'm no one. I've grown used to that kind of stuff. People don't always react to me even if I'm practically jumping right in front of them and they're practically staring at me, so you can practically call me no one. Or air, whichever you choose. Funny thing, some people actually even see and hear me when I'm asking something from them.

Well, superlatives and extremes are funny things, I'd never dream of saying something on behalf the whole fanbase, the very reason why I say, "I think" and stuff like that so much. All opinions I can be somewhat certain are my own and I wouldn't treat them as facts even if some around me would agree, people tend to live inside bubbles, I've seen it and those bubbles are sometimes really nasty since they can make healthy discussing pretty hard since they can cause -at worst- so much dismissing towards other opinions than the ones the bubble itself supports.

These things are freaking dangerous, of course people like to talk with others that think same but it's really dangerous in higher doses.

So well, I accept the fact Omega and some other characters have a really minor fanbase, Omega seems like one of the smallest ones when it comes to the fans for game characters but I suppose he still has more fans than some non-game characters so I dunno.

But I won't accept to agree with opinions that value characters by the amount of their fans, that's just baffling. It just is a crazy way to try and measure affection, an abstract thing, in a way too scientific measure, it's bound to cause drama and that's really not too cool as far as I'm concerned. Make your own lists however you want but don't try to make them as facts since they really aren't we're talking about too abstract things in here that they could come down as scientifical facts.

And my head's about to explode for the sheer pressure this thing's brought to it.

• Nice Smile 1

11 hours ago, Conquering Slay-bell Storm said:

Just because Omega doesn’t get as much focus as someone like Knuckles or Shadow doesn’t mean no one cares. 

Omega doesn't get as much focus as anyone. 

You care, that's neat. No one doesn't mean literally no one, but it means a lot of folks. 

Omega was gone, several times before... no one cares. The only team mate people care about is rouge , because she has her own autonomy and her own identity even if sega forgets. Omega , like GUN is in the same basket. Their relevance and character is solely rialant on shadow. If they ever want to go a different direction with shadow's character, they are gone. 

11 hours ago, DabigRG said:

@Shadowlax This is why it's not very wise to speak in absolutes.

After all, almost every character has something of a fanbase. Especially since both Sonic Chronicles and the preboot Archie comics guaranteed that Omega would be known for something besides his connection to Shadow.

I don't think either of those things reached enough people to preach the good word of omega. Especially considering... omega wasn't in pre-reboot much, and when he was he was being outshines by shadow. And Chronicles is... a bad game, that didn't do well, that a lot people didn't play...

so...

Like if you said " sonic X made rouge fans" yeah sure, Sonic X was a big thing, rouge was a big part of it. Bigger part than shadow. Had a whole subplot and other partner. Omega wasn't a big part of either of those things, and ... those things didn't too many people. 

11 hours ago, Conquering Slay-bell Storm said:

Which probably wouldn’t be as much of the case if Sonic Team actually bother to use him more, but this is the same song and dance with every character barring Sonic, Tails, and Eggman, and to a minor extent Amy, Knux, and to sometimes Shadow.

I don't think it would work, characters who fall out of the uniform sonic design scheme tend to not be popularity. And I would like to blame it completely him not being used, part of if is... well and I say this as team dark fan. His design is terrible, and has only been allowed to go on because he's shadow's cheerleader so no one cares. People like metal sonic because he adheres to the sonic traditional sonic forumla of designs, he's cool robot sonic. Omega is this ...weird thing that kinda looks like gama and kina not. His design isn't great, and being a robot that likes killing ... isn't unique in any regard. He's very generic sassy robot with a bad design, next to two characters who are...way more popular than he is.

Putting him next to other popular characters wouldn't fix the issue

10 hours ago, Conquering Slay-bell Storm said:

Everyone has fans. 

The archie characters have fans, No one cares about the Archie characters. Me saying " no one cares" isn't an absolute. Its an exaggeration of the point " Not a lot of people care" Omega if her were to vanish, a lot of people wouldn't care. And it wouldn't shake up much, there wouln't be a grand petition to get him back , he'd just be gone. That's what I mean by no one cares, I care about omega, but i'm well aware than in the grand sceme of things. Team Dark Is rouge and Shadow.That's where the comradery , and the emotional depth and like characterization come from. And omega is completely optional. He is very much a character meant to fill in a 3rd slot in a video game. And that's all he is 

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

10 days left or so for the solicits ! :D

If I'm not mistaken.

How do you know? I've tried to find solid information on exactly when solicits for IDW are released, but I can't find anything. I thought it was like... every third or 4th Wednesday or something. Or at least that's what I pieced together from the dates when past solicits came out. Maybe my Google-fu just sucks.

• Nice Smile 1

I'm making faces someone prolly would pay a price to see, really.

When someone makes me do a headdesk when my head already hurts it's something.

Please, no one means no one to so many out there and in here it'd be a lot nicer to say many instead, many in Internet take everything said to the letter. This isn't "let's take a spherical cow" situation; when talking about emotional things, please, don't cut corners like this.

I know I'm no one, but others in here pretty much aren't.

57 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

No one cares about the Archie characters. Me saying " no one cares" isn't an absolute. Its an exaggeration of the point

KKKKKKKHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Just, just, just, please, don't do that. I have no idea why you keep doing that, do you want to kill me with an internal bleed in my brains or what? Gee!

Just please, I know it's an art, exaggeration I mean, but still. It doesn't seem to fit in here considering all the posts this has caused, as far as I know this isn't really the best kind of place to perform arts like this.

People here have already said Omega isn't the biggest, just why, why...

1 hour ago, dylan tix said:

How do you know? I've tried to find solid information on exactly when solicits for IDW are released, but I can't find anything. I thought it was like... every third or 4th Wednesday or something. Or at least that's what I pieced together from the dates when past solicits came out. Maybe my Google-fu just sucks.

I have to second this. I suppose though it could be a referation to that one post earlier about what days could be the solicit days or something.

I just hope we'd know a bit more about the story set-up...

• Nice Smile 1

About the solicitations, the past 5 months solicitations have all been released in the 3rd or 4th Wednesdays, so we're one week or two away of it.

t h e c l o c k i s t i c k i n g. . .

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

Guys do you want to see humans like in Archie post-Reboot??

I for one want to!

It doesn't have to be a prominent role, just make them as prominent as in Sonic Adventure!

• Nice Smile 1

3 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

I for one want to!

It doesn't have to be a prominent role, just make them as prominent as in Sonic Adventure!

Well, duh. How are we gonna really tap into the Adventure series, Shadow's Game,  06, Unleashed material without them, silly?

• Thumbs Up 3

10 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Well, duh. How are we gonna really tap into the Adventure series, Shadow's Game,  06, Unleashed material without them, silly?

Yes, I hope Flynn will not forget them like Sega did for the past 8 years.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

I for one want to!

There are many times the game doesn't have any civilians, but when they do they were always human NPCs (were there ever mobian NPCs outside Forces and Sonic Rush Adventure? I can barely remember), so I assumed that was what they'll keep doing.

I do wonder if they will keep the "both mobians and humans coexist" thing from Archie. 

• Thumbs Up 5

4 hours ago, NikoS said:

About the solicitations, the past 5 months solicitations have all been released in the 3rd or 4th Wednesdays, so we're one week or two away of it.

t h e c l o c k i s t i c k i n g. . .

There's five Wednesdays this month so I'd assume Solicits are actually week after next.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

So in the latest BumbleKast episode (60), Ian said a couple things that interested me:
1. He noted the coverage he got as a result of him announcing that his characters won't appear in IDW (around the 10 minute mark) and he said something along the lines of "it's complicated and everything is subject to change."
2. In the the Q&A section (the 5th question, IIRC) one person asked if Ian took criticism, which he says that he does, and acknowledges that he isn't a perfect writer.
What are y'alls thoughts on this?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

29 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

2. In the the Q&A section (the 5th question, IIRC) one person asked if Ian took criticism, which he says that he does, and acknowledges that he isn't a perfect writer.
What are y'alls thoughts on this?

Honestly, who gives a shit? He's been at this for about 12 years now and ran a personal forum for about half of that. And despite what some might think, he has never struck me as a guy who can't handle the polarizing reactions of a fanbase, never one related to Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 4