Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

18 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

From Boom, it seems Shadow’s more of the Lord Zedd/Lokar/Master Vile to Eggman’s Rita, but this is the main series.

Booms a weird ass side thing that's probs done now. Speaking of which, hope sticks makes a transfer. No one else from boom is I reckon

18 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I didn't say they were all going on the same adventure. What I have in mind is always something that branches out, despite having one or two characters with a central focus. That doesn't necessitate rotation, just bringing in characters when it's time for them to act. I don't see how that would make the world feel small either since this doesn't have to restrict them to one location. Explaining what I have in mind is a bit of a fool's errand of course since what my words mean undoubtedly conjure up a different image than what's intended most of the time. 

I get what you are saying, but I want them to go on completely different adventures with different goals. If something happens to contribute to a larger whole, that's fine on occasion but I would much prefer everyone doing their own thing. The desire to just have everything lead into somethng leads into " event mania" which is an issue marvel has had for quite sometimes. Sometimes just having characters do cool shit by themselves is a great thing and why sonic universe was so good and so much better than the main comic 

2 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I wonder if Ian goes on this board in secret and listens to our suggestions.

I mean, maybe. He is a sonic fan so there's that possibility. I mean he seemed to have wanted to change some things that fans didn't like about the reboot

Yeah, such as the stories actually expanding more on the Freedom Fighters in the Universe issues, some new faces that looked interesting, and so on. I hope people will buy IDW and not let it be cancelled when it's JUST getting really good, like what happened here. I wish I could've seen what Null and Cortez were gonna be like, but alas, we'll settle with what we get here. 

I mean, if IDW fails, then SEGA might not make another comic again, and then there goes our chance to look for a story better than the games. I'm hoping they get a second comic either in the Universe style or a legacy comic to continue off of Archie. But that's only if they get enough sales and support to warrant all of that.

• Nice Smile 1

22 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

From Boom, it seems Shadow’s more of the Lord Zedd/Lokar/Master Vile to Eggman’s Rita, but this is the main series.

I didn't watch much Power Rangers, but I thought Rita Repulsa and Lord Zedd were a thing.

2 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

He's alluded to doing that type of things with various forums in the past, so he might. 

In fact...he might be here right now!

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I'm sure feedback is okay but he can't take our suggestions much like he can't look at fan material.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

I didn't watch much Power Rangers, but I thought Rita Repulsa and Lord Zedd were a thing.

He's alluded to doing that type of things with various forums in the past, so he might. 

I meant how he was at the beginning of season 2.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow. We have had barely any news to go off of, only ONE piece of promo art, and lots of Knowing Smiles, yet we STILL managed to get to 100 pages. It's an honor serving y'all. God Bless America.

I was hoping that this would just get turned into a speculation topic at some point and a real IDW comic topic would come later after the first issue. this doesn't feel like the Archie comic topic yet where we are discussing contents of the comic but by the time we actually just to that point it'll be about 200 pages in.

35 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

I meant how he was at the beginning of season 2.

Like I said, haven't watched much Power Rangers. The most I've seen comes from SPD.

13 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

So, when might we be getting the first solicits? 

Probs this month.

• Thumbs Up 1

Using the releases of past IDW solicits as a base, I'm going to estimate the fourth week of this month.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Wow. We have had barely any news to go off of, only ONE piece of promo art, and lots of Knowing Smiles, yet we STILL managed to get to 100 pages. It's an honor serving y'all. God Bless America.

I'll repeat what I did 2 pages ago: Cut out all the Freedom Fighters discussion and it goes down to about 5 pages. And I still wonder why nobody else has been confirmed to work on the comic besides Flynn.

• Nice Smile 1

18 minutes ago, Flyinpenguin117 said:

I'll repeat what I did 2 pages ago: Cut out all the Freedom Fighters discussion and it goes down to about 5 pages. And I still wonder why nobody else has been confirmed to work on the comic besides Flynn.

1. Good point.

2. They are probably keeping it a surprise. I hope they get some more new blood in to balance out some of the veterans. 

18 minutes ago, Flyinpenguin117 said:

And I still wonder why nobody else has been confirmed to work on the comic besides Flynn.

We've actually known somebody besides Flynn (longer than Flynn?) for a good half a year now: The new editor, Joe Hughes.

On 23/07/2017 at 3:55 AM, chaosjam said:

We have an editor!

• Thumbs Up 1

Also, Tyson Hesse, while not doing interior work, is going to contribute to the comic in some fashion. ABT might also be on the team.

18 minutes ago, FFWF said:

We've actually known somebody besides Flynn (longer than Flynn?) for a good half a year now: The new editor, Joe Hughes.

I meant to say "and the editor, who's name currently (always) escapes me"

16 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

I get what you are saying, but I want them to go on completely different adventures with different goals. If something happens to contribute to a larger whole, that's fine on occasion but I would much prefer everyone doing their own thing. The desire to just have everything lead into somethng leads into " event mania" which is an issue marvel has had for quite sometimes. Sometimes just having characters do cool shit by themselves is a great thing and why sonic universe was so good and so much better than the main comic.

I don't know what "Event Mania" is so I have no real frame of reference to ascertain the validity of this fear but what I have in mind, I feel, still falls under the umbrella of characters doing cool shit by themselves. Individual adventures are fine with me. It all depends on what the overall story is structured like and how one thing leads to another. I never really got the sense that Sonic Universe acted as something completely disconnected from the overall plot despite the seemingly self-contained nature of their stories. What I'm in favor of is just something that would allow for a stronger central focused plot that granted the characters their own time to shine in their own adventures while at the same time not taking anything away from whatever was the  overall focus at the time.

Like if the main story was doing a Forces adaptation that was about Eggman having taken over the world, it'd be a bit odd to have a Sonic Universe story arc where the plot was the Chaotix discovering the secret formula to Krabby Patties. Some connection is viable there for me. Like, make it an Eggman factory that he's using to feed his slaves or something. Minor connections like that are okay. It's still contributing to the main narrative in some way despite how outwardly flimsy the connection may seem. It also helps to keep in mind that I only have one book in mind. I'm not taking into account any spin-off series at the moment. I also don't hold the opinion that Sonic Universe was as good as it was because it was necessarily all that removed from the main book either.

Than again, I can see why other people would. It's not like the stuff with the Black Arms and Eclipse affected literally anything outside of Sonic Universe. Shadow never even appeared in the main book after he started Sonic Universe off with his arc. I think he got one panel of him watching the Tournament on TV with Rouge and Omega in the Champions Arc and that was it.

The main reason I preferred Universe was because of the focus on the characters I cared more about anyway.  Although, I still had issues with the four issue story structure thing that nerfed a lot of potential some stories had or gave the majority of them really rushed or unsatisfactory conclusions.

• Thumbs Up 2

20 hours ago, DabigRG said:

I got the idea he's sneaking around in some places but won't tell where since he doesn't want to interfere with the tone of the discussion or something...

I suppose it's the best way, being incognito won't make funny effects after all, if one wants to get the pure reactions. B)

Right now is a funny state of time in the Internet, it's always right now... by the way, just came to my mind, it doesn't really mean anything for this discussion, but still.

• Thumbs Up 2

Something that worries me about IDW Sonic is the lack of news. The only bit that we got is that Ian's characters won't return. We have almost no news since the convention on story (except the vague Fallout solicit), FFs (along with other characters), and just ONE piece of art. They say that no news is good news, but if we don't have news here, then how are we going to anticipate this comic and be hyped? I'm still afraid that SEGA is going to butt in and ruin the comic. All we have now is hope, and I really hope that this is successful, but we need news to alleviate our fears.

• Nice Smile 1

Just now, PublicEnemy1 said:

They say that no news is good news

Tell that to the last months of Archie.

I'm not expecting a delay of any sort, but at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if there is one.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, I certainly must be a bit of an outlier when it comes to that because I don't have many fears and the comic is currently the only thing I'm actually looking forward to at the moment concerning the series. I can't help but feel a bit excited on the merits of a new Sonic comic book that isn't being made by Sonic Team in general.

The only "fear" I have is the only point of discussion we've been bringing up constantly about the Freedom Fighters. Mine is that they'll come back and somehow bring down my enjoyment of the book depending on how they're utilized. Others fear that they won't come back because they want them to continue existing somewhere within some official media.

It's a repetitive song and dance but it's also, admittedly, a much more fun one to talk about than anything concerning the games. I just get sad when I talk about the games now.

32 minutes ago, Flyinpenguin117 said:

Tell that to the last months of Archie.

I'm not expecting a delay of any sort, but at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if there is one.

That's not what I'm worried about. I'm worried about the next set of news turning people away from the comic. It could be the lack of Freedom Fighters (which I'm not personally worried about) or SEGA meddling with a laundry list at IDW with what they can and can't do, and I'm worried it will make the same mistake as the Post-Reboot.

• Nice Smile 1

6 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

That's not what I'm worried about. I'm worried about the next set of news turning people away from the comic. It could be the lack of Freedom Fighters (which I'm not personally worried about) or SEGA meddling with a laundry list at IDW with what they can and can't do, and I'm worried it will make the same mistake as the Post-Reboot.

Maybe these people need to remember that the lack of control SEGA had with the comics helped bring the Penders-Boller era. I know I used to be one of those people who complained about the mandates, but then I realized that Sonic isn't my IP and that some of the rules were reasonable. 

• Thumbs Up 2