Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

Well, fangames may help, yet again.
Sure, none of them are good enough to be on par with Sonic Team, but they can work as a demonstration I suppose.

You got some like Sonic GDK that are attempting to bring physics into 3d.
(This game even demonstrates how my preferred use of boost gameplay should work, that you can only boost after you reached a certain speed naturally)

You got Sonic World trying to update the Sonic Adventure/ Heroes gameplay style.
(And demonstrating the option of having user created content as well)

Some fangames are super modifiable, like Sonic Robo blast 2.
I've seen people mod that game into entirely diffrent games, like a Mario Kart clone.

Sure, they won't work in a "Sonic Mania" kind of way, but if you use them to demonstrate your design philosophy, it might do.
If you can finish a decent design document, there's enough possibilities to at least get a primitive demonstration out of them.
Especially if you can get someone from these fangame teams to help out.

• Thumbs Up 6

Well, all this talk about what Sonic Team should fix and being skeptical overall about things in this game has me wanting to ask: Who's worried about the third playable character and their gameplay?

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, CrystalStorm51 said:

Well, all this talk about what Sonic Team should fix and being skeptical overall about things in this game has me wanting to ask: Who's worried about the third playable character and their gameplay?

I wouldn't say that I'm worried, more so cautiously curious. Depending what it is and how it'll be, critics will either praise it or rip it to absolute shreds so I hope that Sonic Team handles it well.

Spoiler

You know the more I think about it, saying you're cautiously curious is kinda like being worried so, yeah. Guess I am indeed worried.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, CrystalStorm51 said:

Most everyone, I imagine. I'm pretty optimistic overall, but of course I'm worried about the third gameplay. If it does turn out bad, that could not only kill this game, but it could also lead to us not getting another playable character for a long while. So, yes, I'm very worried (but still optimistic).

• Thumbs Up 2

The game has already managed to piss me off a thousand ways. What's one more gimmicky third wheel added to the pile? Bring it on. Impress me.

• Thumbs Up 6

Just now, Kellan said:

Most everyone, I imagine. I'm pretty optimistic overall, but of course I'm worried about the third gameplay. If it does turn out bad, that could not only kill this game, but it could also lead to us not getting another playable character for a long while. So, yes, I'm very worried (but still optimistic).

I know how you feel. Not sure if critics will like it, even if it is good, but if it is good, then hey...

Just now, blazefan519 said:

I wouldn't say that I'm worried, more so cautiously curious. Depending what it is and how it'll be, critics will either praise it or rip it to absolute shreds so I hope that Sonic Team handles it well.

I hope so, too, though I am not worried and moreso curious as you are. I just hope it is Sonic like.

I dunno what you all are doing, lol, but if you're planning on doing a feedback thing for Sonic Team again, remember that the real version of Sonic Utopia is still in development, and the developers are pretty aware of the demos faults by now. If you wait for more info for it to turn up when finished, or even reach out to them for something substantial to show in advance, you could get that ever-elusive Vertical Slice of 3D Sonic stuff that we've always talked about, but never seen fully. Might be worth the wait, I think. *shrug*

13 minutes ago, The Deleter said:

I dunno what you all are doing, lol, but if you're planning on doing a feedback thing for Sonic Team again, remember that the real version of Sonic Utopia is still in development,

I may be the only person on this board who is wholly unimpressed by Utopia. It just seems so vapid and soulless.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't know, Utopia needs to be less open in my opinion... there is too much empty space. I want something like Beta Windy Valley. I wonder if some of you think the same.

I hope they change that!

Also they need to remove Green Hill Zone. It sucks. :P

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, CleverSonicUsername said:

I may be the only person on this board who is wholly unimpressed by Utopia. It just seems so vapid and soulless.

Nah, didn't really care for it either.

Just now, blazefan519 said:

Nah, didn't really care for it either.

Ok good I'm not alone then. I just remember everyone jizzing over it elsewhere, and news sites posting stuff like "fans make the Sonic game we've been asking for!" But it's just a sandbox, and not a particularly interesting looking one.

• Thumbs Up 4

4 minutes ago, Joseph Mello said:

I don't know, Utopia needs to be less open in my opinion... there is too much empty space.

I hope they change that!

Also they need to remove Green Hill Zone. It sucks. :P

Both of those are what the devs are doing; making it more linear and better composed, and making original stages. That's why I brought it up on the first place, tbh.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, The Deleter said:

Both of those are what the devs are doing. That's why I brought it up on the first place, tbh.

Really? I'm interested now! Is the Sonic Retro page still "active"?

2 minutes ago, Joseph Mello said:

Really? I'm interested now! Is the Sonic Retro page still "active"?

As active as updates or new thoughts and criticisms are brought up, yeah

Though I dunno when they'll give a full gameplay update again; could be as late as SAGE 2017, which is why I mentioned possibly reaching out to them to get snippets for the feedback cases in advance, or something like that

4 hours ago, Azoo said:

Y'all are naive if you think Sonic Team will listen.

Good thing is, I'm naive too.

Let me promise all of you one thing: I'm going to stick to my word and drop my moderation position on SSMB if it ends up the character creation aspect of Forces is true.

BUT.

I will also work with SSMB and talk to Aaron Webber and whoever else necessary to try to pitch a (much less profane, lol) version of this in the form of a video, or what have you. THAT IS, only if fans from all across here can agree on that.

Consider it a community parting gift.

Why would you leave your position though? I was thinking about sending feedback in some way too, I really think we need to get ourselves heard, and now is the best time to do it, since we have a direct line with Iizuka and the Sonic Team.

To be honest I think that Aaron knows what kind of game we want, it's just that the higher ups need to be convinced, remember that Sonic Team are not the only ones making decisions.

The shitty level design and physics is all on them though.

Count me in! Join the resistance!

Just now, The Deleter said:

As active as updates or new thoughts and criticisms are brought up, yeah

Though I dunno when they'll give a full gameplay update again; could be as late as SAGE 2017, which is why I mentioned possibly reaching out to them to get snippets for the feedback cases in advance, or something like that

Hmm... Too bad that there is no images yet.

Oh, SAGE isn't that far...

2 minutes ago, Joseph Mello said:

Hmm... Too bad that there is no images yet.

Oh, SAGE isn't that far...

The last SAGE was held in October, though; that's like, just a month before Forces even releases :V

15 minutes ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

I don't care for it too. I even think it is overrated, no offense to those who like the Utopia thing itself.

• Thumbs Up 1

My problem with Utopia is that it was a flat Sonic playground. But if the developers want to change that for a more vertical experience, count me in.

But I still need to see how the levels will turn out.

1 hour ago, Nepenthe said:

The easiest way would probably be with an explanatory animation versus a demo- something that looks like gameplay, and something the 3D community is capable of delivering on.

Because lol coding.

I don't know if an animation would really be enough, at least not for what I'd like to see out of the series. Sonic Team struggles enough with faking things that should be more mechanically deep, I'd expect they'd hear "let Sonic do this!" and decide "we'll use springs and boost pads to make Sonic do that!".

23 minutes ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

Ok good I'm not alone then. I just remember everyone jizzing over it elsewhere, and news sites posting stuff like "fans make the Sonic game we've been asking for!" But it's just a sandbox, and not a particularly interesting looking one.

...Utopia isn't a sandbox. It's too big and too easy to get lost in to be an ideal level, but there's a clear beginning and end and a reasonable sense of direction most of the time.

• Thumbs Up 8

If it seems like a Sonic playground to ya, expectations probably should've been tempered to match that. Know what you're getting into and all that nonsense.

If it was just what it was, it may have not been so well praised long-term.

3 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Just got in here.  

What did I miss?

Nothing. At least if you count several pages of arguments that a certain someone started for no reason something. Best to just move right along.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Well, fangames may help, yet again.
Sure, none of them are good enough to be on par with Sonic Team, but they can work as a demonstration I suppose.

You got some like Sonic GDK that are attempting to bring physics into 3d.
(This game even demonstrates how my preferred use of boost gameplay should work, that you can only boost after you reached a certain speed naturally)

You got Sonic World trying to update the Sonic Adventure/ Heroes gameplay style.
(And demonstrating the option of having user created content as well)

Some fangames are super modifiable, like Sonic Robo blast 2.
I've seen people mod that game into entirely diffrent games, like a Mario Kart clone.

Sure, they won't work in a "Sonic Mania" kind of way, but if you use them to demonstrate your design philosophy, it might do.
If you can finish a decent design document, there's enough possibilities to at least get a primitive demonstration out of them.
Especially if you can get someone from these fangame teams to help out.

There's also Sonic Revolution, which goes a different route and adapts the storytelling, musical, and visual philosophies of the Adventure era into a 2D Beat Em Up.