Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

My favorite thing about this is that Classic has the Sonic CD and Mania spring animation

I need the circle legs blur though, I don't like normal running. (For classic sonic)

1 minute ago, Razorsaw said:

A trailer's purpose is nothing more than to give people an impression of what the game might be like. Sometimes it's just a proof of concept, even.

Rise of Lyric... the first 100 pages proves you cannot get away with this as well as proves who wasn't fooled.

Just now, Indigo Rush said:

"Guys, that Project Needlemouse teaser had only 3 seconds of footage, we can't possibly make a judgement call on it yet"

Rise of Lyric.  The SSMB thread!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, MorphAndBiscuits said:

I don't see how it could be interpreted in any other way. 

"Their new ideas are bad and their old ideas are bad."

Unless there's some sort of 'in the middle' ideas I wasn't aware of, I'd say that covers pretty much everything.

I mean he's not wrong.

The franchise has been stagnant for the better part of a decade now, and the previous decade it was sinking to new lows. If we're really fucking honest with ourselves, Sonic saw its greatest successes in its first 5 years of existence. The next 20 have been a rapid decline up until about 2011, where it reached a point of creative bankruptcy and stagnation. I don't know what Sonic Team want to do with the franchise but reusing Green Hill Zone in 4 out of the 6 games released since 2010 doesn't suggest to me that they have any fucking good ideas.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Psychicmoose103 said:

My favorite thing about this is that Classic has the Sonic CD and Mania spring animation

I need the circle legs blur though, I don't like normal running.

Same here. I don't care about arms or eyes, but you take away Classic Sonic's blur animation when he runs and I have two words for you.

(Forgive me mods)

*Ahem...*

Fuck you.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Razorsaw said:

Have you ever seen the first trailer for Hyrule Warriors?

Yeah, it looks fine.

Seriously dude if you want to trust in Sonic Team to fix things go ahead and do so. After their years of persistent incompetence I'm not willing to give them that kind of credit.

1 hour ago, Scar said:

I'm sorry, but this line of thinking is dumb. The newness of the games from 2001 to 2011 was shat on not because they were new and creative, but because those games were fucking bad. Generations was well loved not just because it tickled that nostalgia sense, but because it was a competently put together game that was fun (if shallow) and not broken in fundamental ways.

If SEGA cannot understand the nuance of the complaints the franchise is receiving, then its on them. Not on the fans. 

Yes, and what they also don't seem to understand is that nostalgia stops being nostalgic when we keep seeing it over and over again. You can't elicit nostalgia from something that's become banal. The only way to get continued use out of Green Hill at this point is to do something completely different with it. Like setting it on fire.

Or just showing us something different entirely.

They'd get a ton of nostalgia from people if they showed Tails' workshop again for instance. We haven't seen it since the first Adventure after all. And if it were to continue to be shown it wouldn't garner any hatred from fans because Tails lives there. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Guys the blur animation on his feet is still there, look closely on the 1080p footage. Also why are you getting so worked up on such a tiny detail when all the rest looks like that

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Sonikko said:

Guys the blur animation on his feet is still there, look closely on the 1080p footage. Also why are you getting so worked up on such a tiny detail when all the rest looks like that

Sonic fandom.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Diogenes said:

Yeah, it looks fine.

Seriously dude if you want to trust in Sonic Team to fix things go ahead and do so. After their years of persistent incompetence I'm not willing to give them that kind of credit.

Did you miss the part where it's using what are clearly assets ripped directly from skyward sword that aren't from the final game, as well as the model for King Dondongo from Ocarina of Time 3D? Those are massive changes from the first trailer to final release.

3 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Rise of Lyric... the first 100 pages proves you cannot get away with this as well as proves who wasn't fooled.

Rise of Lyric.  The SSMB thread!

Rise of Lyric showed better quality visuals than we ended up with, so if anything it's the reverse of the example I gave above. That's mostly because the game started development on different hardware.

• Thumbs Up 2

Someone somewhere is fucking shit right up for the franchise. Whether that is Sonic Team itself, or SEGA I don't fucking know. Frankly, I don't really care. I just want some progress, and it seems we have made none.

2 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

It's sprinkled in, but not as prominent as the Genesis titles nor Generations and that does not sit well with me.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, JezMM said:

Man I'm just not feeling the doom and gloom yet.  I dunno why.  It's not like what we saw wasn't unimpressive but it's still all so shrouded in mystery.  There's still so many aspects to this game that add up to a promising situation for me.

I don't even mind the simplistic Green Hill, it's sorta charming in it's own way.  Like if Generations was the remake of 16-bit Sonic 1, this is the remake of 8-bit Sonic 1.  But like, yeah, the desert stuff too is intriguing.

Ayyy, thought I was the only one. Btw, was that news we got from earlier the Famitsu leak we were supposed to get tomorrow, or is that still happening.

1 minute ago, Razorsaw said:

Did you miss the part where it's using what are clearly assets ripped directly from skyward sword that aren't from the final game, as well as the model for King Dondongo from Ocarina of Time 3D? Those are massive changes from the first trailer to final release.

You're talking like I'm not aware that games change between reveal and release. I am. But Hyrule Warriors looked fine enough with its placeholder assets while Forces GHZ...it ain't looking too hot. And I don't trust Sonic Team enough to believe it'll be properly fixed and not just slightly tweaked.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, Depression Kong said:

I'd probably be much, much angrier about the trailer if it weren't for the fact that, being a Mario fan for 2/3 of my life, I'm more than used to developers not listening to criticism.

"The fans say they want the Koopalings gone, Mr. Miyamoto."

"No, they don't."

To be fair, they made up for it, by in manyways listening to zelda fans to hard. 

But I feel you 

1 minute ago, blazefan519 said:

Ayyy, thought I was the only one. Btw, was that news we got from earlier the Famitsu leak we were supposed to get tomorrow, or is that still happening.

You mean the news for forces or the mania page?

Just now, Diogenes said:

You're talking like I'm not aware that games change between reveal and release. I am. But Hyrule Warriors looked fine enough with its placeholder assets while Forces GHZ...it ain't looking too hot. And I don't trust Sonic Team enough to believe it'll be properly fixed and not just slightly tweaked.

The only thing I can say then is that I'm not sure how this footage we've seen today reflects more poorly on the final result than a clearly alpha version literally frankensteined from other titles to the point you've decided there's no hope for any kind of improvement.

To each his own.

Just now, Psychicmoose103 said:

You mean the news for forces or the mania page?

The news for Forces. If I wanted to talk about Mania, I wouldn't be in this hell-hole of a thread.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, MorphAndBiscuits said:

You're honestly going to assert that every Sonic game made between 2001 and 2011 is bad? No argument allowed? Seems a little presumptuous.

If I recall right, Unleashed and Colors were released in that period. As was Heroes. None of those were strictly bad. In fact, all three have a healthy following. Unleashed especially has garnered much support in recent years.

No, they weren't all bad. They were however, indisputably lacking in quality. The greatest decline seen was obviously from 2001 to 2007. As a big Sonic Unleashed supporter myself I cannot honestly say the game was good. I appreciated the intent coming off the back of a horror story like 06. It wasn't a perfect game by any means, but gosh darn it they fucking tried. They failed sure, but they tried. In that same Window, Secret Rings and Black Knight were released. Spin-offs or not, it was made by Sonic Team and it would be ridiculous to suggest those games had any good ideas. They were just fucking bad.

And as I say, the slip in quality was arrested by Colours and Generations. The games since haven't been terrible, but there is literally no sign of improvement. They're on a fucking loop doing the same shit, making the same mistakes (and throwing in a few new ones).

Just now, Razorsaw said:

The only thing I can say then is that I'm not sure how this footage we've seen today reflects more poorly on the final result than a clearly alpha version literally frankensteined from other titles to the point you've decided there's no hope for any kind of improvement.

Because it's a Sonic game and having hope for it hasn't worked out in decades.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Also, the whole point here is that even in 15 seconds of footage, all the conceptual flaws from the last 7 years are clearly visible. I was not expecting them to nail the physics 1:1, but that Lost World level design is not ideal either. The level looking that straight, the bridge section being that long, it's about how they're designing the game, not how it looks right now. This might still just be the first/tutorial level, even then Green Hill in Generations did a far better job, not to mention Windmill Isle in Unleashed.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Diogenes said:

Because it's a Sonic game and having hope for it hasn't worked out in decades.

That seems a bit hyperbolic when we're talking about the capacity to adjust visuals of all things, and not gameplay.

14 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

"Guys, that Project Needlemouse teaser had only 3 seconds of footage, we can't possibly make a judgement call on it yet"

Generations had some negative comments that improved with the City Escape footage