Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

I'm just going to say, the new character. is probably putting Neogaf though an heart-attack. considering how steam-headed they get when a new character for the Sonic franchise is confirmed. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Kintor said:

It was more that the media praised Sonic Colours for coming so close to replicating Sonic Unleashed's graphics and style on much weaker hardware. A huge technical achievement for Sonic Team when basically all they had to work with was 2 GameCubes duct taped together.

No, no it was not.

BUT ANYWAY...

Forces, New character, Classic Sonic, E3, fun!

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Kintor said:

A lot of people respected Sonic Unleashed when it came out. Not everybody but Sonic Unleashed still marks a turning point for the franchise, when Sonic's repuation began to improve again. Part of that was due to the Hedgehog Engine, to really showcase Sonic's high speed gameplay. Power does matter, it always has and always will.

No. No they didn't. Unleashed was fucking shitted on when it first came out because it was fun to shit on Sonic. Where were you during that time? It wasn't until the last couple of years it was when people were like Unleashed wasn't a good game.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Kintor said:

It was more that the media praised Sonic Colours for coming so close to replicating Sonic Unleashed's graphics and style on much weaker hardware. A huge technical achievement for Sonic Team when basically all they had to work with was 2 GameCubes duct taped together.

Right, and the same team are in charge of getting this game running on the Switch, so if the Modern Sonic footage is indeed re-recorded on Switch, as it has been pointed out now that it isn't reused PC/PS4 footage, I'd say they're doing a pretty good job.  If it's not Switch footage, then the Classic Sonic stuff likely isn't either, so there's no way to say.

EDIT: Also yeah like those above I don't recall any such praise of note, most people just loved the gameplay and aesthetics over the fidelity of the graphics, but I figured I'd type a retort that works with rather than 100% against your opinion for once lol.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Fr0zenanus said:

I'm just going to say, the new character. is probably putting Neogaf though an heart-attack. considering how steam-headed they get when a new character for the Sonic franchise is confirmed. 

No kidding, NeoGaf can't keep it's shit together. Doesn't take much to send that place crazy.

Just now, Dejimon11 said:

No. No they didn't. Unleashed was fucking shitted on when it first came out because it was fun to shit on Sonic. Where were you during that time? It wasn't until the last couple of years it was when people were like Unleashed wasn't a good game.

It was also shat on because over half the game was a total bore.

• Thumbs Up 2

Okay, I wasn't expecting this. Yeah, this is a new character. I have no idea who this is. I have a feeling it's a character creation guys. 

Classic gameplay looks okay, I guess. 

2 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

There are plenty of reasons why Sonic Unleashed was attacked so viciously in the media. Many sites attacked Sonic Unleasehed just because they could. But that time was also a watershed moment for the gaming media, the rise of sites like YouTube and Twitch really began to erode the power of the gaming media to influence public opinion. The media trashed Sonic Unleashed but it didn't matter in the end when the gaming public responded much more postively to it; now Sonic Unealshed has a dedicated cult following of its own. I'd love to see Sonic Unleashed on PC, as a way to give that a wider audience and really open up the modding scence.

Just now, SSF1991 said:

To be fair, it doesn't take much to send us crazy either. =P

Truer words have never been uttered.

Anyway, now that (mostly) everyone has settled down. It's time to have a seasoned discussion, which hopefully won't spiral into absolute chaos later on.

So, how many of you guys think that the new character is actually customizable, and how many of you think that it is indeed just a new character, and why? I've stated that I personally believe that it's just a new character because I just feel as though they've never gave that much emphasis of you the player yourself. Which also brings the question, do you guys think the new character (imma just call it Bubsy for teh lels) is actually going to playable?

I think putting GHZ in Forces is more about marketing than for us. It's so casual Sonic fans glance upon this game and go oh, I remember green hill zone from Sonic! Maybe I'll pick this up.

Why they feel this now and not the 100 other times, who knows but I bet it's for marketing.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, blazefan519 said:

So, how many of you guys think that the new character is actually customizable, and how many of you think that it is indeed just a new character, and why? I've stated that I personally believe that it's just a new character because I just feel as though they've never gave that much emphasis of you the player yourself. Which also brings the question, do you guys think the new character (imma just call it Bubsy for teh lels) is actually going to playable?

The character is so lacking in features that I'm thinking it has to be customization. Most Sonic characters are pretty distinct looking but not this.

• Thumbs Up 6

Just now, Josh said:

The character is so lacking in features that I'm thinking it has to be customization. Most Sonic characters are pretty distinct looking but not this.

I suppose that is something to take note of. But most of the male Sonic cast don't have a lot that's all that notable either. I think Bubsy has at least some distinct features, like his head for one, looking more cat-like and I think if they were going to make a customizable, the character would be Hedgehog. But that's just me, I could be dead wrong by the time E3 roles around.

1 minute ago, Shaddy the guy said:

Guys we're all missing out on a possibility of the new character here

oldsonic.thumb.png.eeeb947052df513bd356b09985c193a7.png

no. don't even mention the possibility

Using the Switch as a scapegoat for why it looks bad may make sense at first, but the reasoning doesn't hold up.

The thing has more RAM than previous gen consoles, has a GPU slightly above them, and a cpu far ahead of that gen and the PS4/XBO cpu's, and all runs on more modern architecture than any of them.

The forces stage everyone is talking about looks worse than Generations as is

Generations ran on last gen consoles

The game has nothing to answer to other than itself for why it looks so bad; nothing else.

Let's just hope it's an alpha rather than the style overall; some may say it's a given but the background in the initial footage looked especially bad graphically, as well.

Assuming that we are actually looking at a character creation system the next logical question is how detailed will the system be?

Things could actually get pretty complex with the variety of customisation and choices. I mean, Sega already has a great character customisation system for Phantasy Star Online 2:

Granted, a MMORPG is probably going to need a better system then a platformer but still just imagine Sonic Forces with this level of character creation.

At first I thought the backgrounds in The Zone That Shall Not Be Named were straight up missing but it's like...sand???

Who was it that was suggesting zones might be merged together or something because that's starting to look more likely. People may have talked about this already, but there's no way I'm gonna go through every page you people created while I was gone

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Fr0zenanus said:

As a person who does post on gaf. 

Not really, just funny jokes. People saying its bubsy.

most people seem to just be thinking the game doens't look great. Which... I can't fault them 

The Green Hill zone in classic gameplay looks like the green hills in the city stages background. Was a city built over green hill, or is it a new level?

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Pawn said:

I'm trying to imagine Sonic Team producing an acceptable character creator but

See the video I posted above about Phantasy Star Online. Sonic Team has been making great character creators since 2000.

• Thumbs Up 4