Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

5 hours ago, The Deleter said:

It's dismissive in the correct way, though. It doesn't shut down discussion if it holds no degree of truth to it, it merely calls into question that discussion's value when it's based off of such arbitrary and personal interpretations of a piece of media's, or art's, meanings, and how valid that one is compared to everyone else's. Those thoughts are yours, but the moment you actually bring them up as if to contest someone's equally valid interpretation of the series, and that the series should personally cater to them for whatever reason, they loose all sense of real value as discussion pieces and turns the dialog into nothing but tired opinion roundabouts and shaming battles.

Its not in the correctly. Its jus cosmic, end all be all logic. Its " why talk at all because we are all eventually going to die " logic. Everyone knows sega might not see it, there is no need to mention that, it is purely for the sole purpose to get people to stop talking. And If you want that, why are you on a forum?

And what the actual market for the Sonic series will keep buying is objectively disconnected from what the industry wants, sure, nothing can prove otherwise as it sells consistently regardless, but the same applies to your demands as well. So in the end, it's just a clashing of equally valid values yet again, when it largely doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Then why are you even talking, no like seriously. Your basis is in your logic is so nihilistic that it seems like you find no purpose in discussion , and if you don't, why are you actually talking?

Except, objectively, Sonic has more to gain from gaining the industry's favor again rather than a specific subset of fans, considering that tonal direction doesn't matter for sales in the first place. So..

Eh, no? Sonic will for a long time, never gain the industry's favor, no matter what they make, sonic is a punching bag. There is nothing to gain there, because there is literally nothing to gain, they would do better to sell who they sell to, make money and deal with it and make good games. Because eventually you make those complaints futile. 

Even when the games were more light hearted and even good, industry went back and retroactively shit on them, for existing and having sonic's name on it.  you are like " Oh just abandon these adventure weirdo people, the industry will love you " they did, it didn't work. Turns out hanging out with the bully, didn't actually work out, they still bullied you. There is no gain there. It happens 

Whether its more light hearted, whether its serious, or maybe they turn sonic into a sim game about banana's. They would just do better to make quality products they want to make for who they want to make for. What the industry wants largely doesn't matter, they are a business, they are in the business of making money. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I also feel like my previous question was a bit swamped by the recent uptick in comments so I'll repeat it for folks to give their thoughts.

Given how Sonic Forces is selling itself on being more serious and potentially darker, is it a wise decision on SEGA of America and/or Mr. Webbers part to continue pushing the "too edgie" and "why so serious?" form of marketing done for the franchise up to this point? Would this be a detriment to the sales/success of Sonic Forces when being edgy and/or serious is something touted as a hilarious/harmful concept for the franchise to take on?

From a business/marketing standpoint, in my opinion, it's essentially making a mockery of your own product in development before it has even released, and thus is bad. But what of the lot of you here?

When they didn't have a product in development selling itself on the concepts SEGA of America and/or Mr. Webber, or at the very least had yet to reveal said project, it was naturally alright and brought in good times and/or laughs, but now that Forces is in the open, does anybody else also feel it should come to a stop now, at least until the game launches and has been out for a few months before continuing using edgy/dark/serious as a marketable laugh?

If a game is selling itself on the concept of being serious, and wants consumers to take it seriously as well, how can this be done if throughout the development, marketing, and release of the title, one branch is mocking/meming what it's going for?

10 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

When they didn't have a product in development selling itself on the concepts SEGA of America and/or Mr. Webber, or at the very least had yet to reveal said project, it was naturally alright and brought in good times and/or laughs, but now that Forces is in the open, does anybody else also feel it should come to a stop now, at least until the game launches and has been out for a few months before continuing using edgy/dark/serious as a marketable laugh?

I think we know barely anything about the game to jump to conclusions about Webber's posts. I mean, the  game seems dark, but not "EDGY! OH GOD DEATH EVERYWHERE AND ALIENS KILLING PEOPLE", you know?

Maybe it could be bad if the game was darker than it seems, but it doesn't seem dark enough to have any loss...

14 hours ago, Diogenes said:

If you think people haven't been leaving the series since the Adventures I've got news for you.

Says the Classic-fan extremist of the same viewpoint you mentioned, who's still here after setting his preferences in stone. trying to rewrite history along with other "complices" via mouse/keyboard/place to soapbox

oimg016.jpg.5439cf160de8ad84816965da4f708cd2.jpg 

• Thumbs Up 2

13 hours ago, Strong Guy said:

The thing about Sonic is that he's a product of the 90's. A different time when everything was edgy cool, had tons of attitude, when bright poppy colors like pink orange and bright green were littered all over fashion and TV. Sonic was meant to appease to that era and he fit right in. He was meant to be """"COOL Mario""""" He was outrageously successful back then.

Sonic was always rough around the edges, he was never meant to be your typical hero. So many interpretations of his character is this over confident, lazy, I don't feel like helping atm hero. He selfishly wants Eggman to be around causing trouble so he'll have something to do. Who cares if Tails is screaming for help, lounging around on the beach feels so much better.

tumblr_nf9wb10i8a1s5wiico1_500.gif

He was vain, he know's he's better than everybody else, he's disrespectful, laid back, does things his own way on his agenda.

Beyond his character, game wise this trendy attitude kept going and going, evolving with each game getting more and more serious as video games were getting more and more capable of telling a better story. We started out with a tamer Sonic 1 where you finish Eggman off in his base, Sonic 2 takes us to space, Sonic 3 provides a bit of a deeper involvement with story telling & more serious enemies like the razor-sharp and menacing Mecha Sonic, plus larger much more threatening Eggman bosses. Eventually we are led to Sonic Adventure where they raised the stakes, introduced real humans and a more realistic world because they could, topped off with a water monster who's regarded as god of destruction until I think the series darker more serious tone peaked at SA2. As with every era, trends leak into the new era and SA2 being a product of the early 2000s reaks of this. Now we're hitting the early-mid 2000s. 2004 they settled down and gave us a friendlier at heart, more Sonic 2ie kinda game with Sonic Heroes. Shadow and 06 were ultimately mistakes and had they not been done the way they were I don't think people would be arguing Sonic is supposed to be Daffy Duck just because he's a cartoon animal.

Sure it wasn't meant to be taken too seriously, but to pretend that the Sonic series was always some goofy ass slapstick is way, way off.

This is coming from someone who's literal favorite characters are some of the biggest goofballs the series has seen in the Chaotix & as someone who adored this

Now what is way way off is a person like Aaron Webber going out and saying that if Sonic was real he'd be this out of touch memer who spends all his time shitposting online.

I miss the radical 90s.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Soni said:

We already went through this. The reason people mock Shadow for being edgy is because it's an extremely immature way to be "edgy". The gritty tone mixed with the corny lines, actual bullets sounds when starting the game up and the unnecessary "cussing". It's incredibly stupid way to make a more "serious" Sonic game and it should be mocked for how badly done it was.

What I see in Forces is just a tad bit more intense than what I saw in Unleashed's opening but it still has the fun vibe that's well estalbished with Sonic since the very beginning.

That's the key difference, there is still some levity to it. It's not harmful at all, can we please stop accusing Webber of "tarnishing" the brand name of Sonic? It's just not the case, it's getting quite frustrating to see people still think as such.

I brought this up myself last month and its really frustrating that this is still something people are so worried about. Forces' tone is fine, and until I see footage that looks like this I'll keep saying that:

maxresdefault.jpg

I've said it before and I'll say it again; the only thing we should be truly concerned about is how well the game will play. Nobody outside of our fandom appreciates Sonic stories anyway, even the term Sonic Lore is a meme now so it doesn't matter how well the story turns out because people will still find something to ridicule about it; the only thing that'll make the game worth playing is if the game is fun to play. Capcom has gotten away with making some of gaming's most famous franchises with some of the most braindead stories imaginable but people still greatly enjoy their games because they can still be loads of fun (looks at Resident Evil), so I don't see why we can't extend a similar courtesy to the Blue Blur.

Believe me I'd love for the story to be an action packed thrill ride like a lot of the games pre-2010, but after Lost World and the complete shitting on the brand Boom did Sonic needs to learn how to run on his own two feet again instead of the walls and jumping on bounce pads.

And the people that keep claiming Aaron Webber is tarnishing the brand's oh-so-illustrious name need to chillout.  He understands how to market to the internet which is something many corporations would die for and he's made Sonic more relevant than he's been in years just by taking the piss out of what was already a pretty silly franchise to begin with (remember the villain of it all originated from a caricature of Theodore Roosevelt in pajamas). He and his team managed to get a commercial for Sonic on Adult Swim that just advertised Sonic himself. No game in particular, no show, comic, or toy-line, just Sonic. I may be overestimating this but frankly that seems like an innovative concept to me to just advertise a character without necessarily attaching a product to it, and Sonic advertising himself sounds just like something he'd do. So yeah I'd say they're doing a great job over at Sonic's social media.

• Thumbs Up 3

23 hours ago, Bowbowis said:

Looking at what kids are into in the cinemas right now, they seem to like large casts of colorful, super powered characters who have spectacular high-stakes battles with villains, witty dialog that's humorous without undermining the story's premise, and enough drama to keep the audience invested in the characters and events unfolding onscreen.

emoji_movie_xlg.thumb.jpg.a6605505566c7281c053a604f11658fd.jpg

The Emoji Movie premieres in cinemas August 4th 2017, book your tickets now kids!

Spoiler

(From the same production company behind the 2018 Sonic movie as well ???)

• Thumbs Up 1

So can someone explain the candy babyline? like shadow curses, shadow has guns, shadow rides in vehicles and essentially murders has family over the course of a few days, but this line gets people? Why? Its a common line that villains say all the time " it slike taking candy from a baby" that's the least edgy shadow does and says in that entire game, yet every time someone brings it up like " look how edgy he is" . Welp I guess dick dastardly is some edgy shit. Didn't know about the edge factor those old cartoons had apparently. Taking candy from baby lines might get you an M rating nowadays apparently. 

On 4/9/2017 at 3:40 AM, Maxtiis said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again; the only thing we should be truly concerned about is how well the game will play.

Story, is more that cut scenes, its characters, how the world looks, its what the characters say its why they are there. And I am concerned about that, sometimes it simple, sometimes its massive , and sometimes its hidden away, but story generally matters more than you think. And goes into the how alot of games are designed and why a lot are remembered, one of which you mention below. 

Gamplay is great, but to suggest story and theme doesn't matter, kind of goes against ... a lot of the criticism lodged at sonic before. Yeah sonic 06, was a bad video game but you don't also think a lot of the criticisms lodged at that game weren't about the batshit plot with sonic making out with a human woman? You don't think peple would have been like " the fuck is this plot " if that game was good, they probably would have been still shitting on, the story is largely garbage. The gaming industry has done the same for good games and vice versa. 

Nobody outside of our fandom appreciates Sonic stories anyway,

I mean like, this thread is like giant ball of anecdotal evidence used as arguments, but ok. Why stop now? 

even the term Sonic Lore is a meme now so it doesn't matter how well the story turns out because people will still find something to ridicule about it; the only thing that'll make the game worth playing is if the game is fun to play. 

I don't care about what people say? I enjoy video games because I enjoy them? And video games having engaging worlds for me to play in is a plus, and the opposite is a minus for ?

You would do better not to assume, what makes a game fun to everyone. 

Capcom has gotten away with making some of gaming's most famous franchises with some of the most braindead stories imaginable but people still greatly enjoy their games because they can still be loads of fun (looks at Resident Evil), so I don't see why we can't extend a similar courtesy to the Blue Blur.

Silly stories aside, those stories are engaging. RE has people invested in its stories, people argue over them, people argue over every time this franchise changes direction thematically. Because game play aside, its pertinent to their enjoyment of the franchise, people remember leon and his weird adventures in spain, and chris punching boulders, or the jill sandwich shit. Because along with being good games on a technical level they created interesting worlds and characters for you to get engadged with and attached to. 

Hell DMC, the most batshit Crazy of Capcom Story, proved that it matter with DmC Devil may cry, how the story was presented, how the story was, who the characters, were no one actually liked it, it sold much less than DMC4, a game ridiculed for having subpar level design and an extremely short campaign. ( it also has arguably the best character action game play ever, but most people playing does games don't even have the skill set to realize that ). But my point is, even in games where it doesn't seem like it matters, it turns out it maters. 

To use one more non capcom related example, Metal Gear Rising is my favorite metal gear game. That game is fun to play, that game is also batshit crazy and I love its story because of it, how it accelerates to you fighting a roided out on nanomachines senator in the bottom of a pit, it is despite being described in raidens own words " batshit insane" And with out it, without Jet Stream Sam, with out all its kooks and quirks wouldn't be as memorable as it is.

Story is more than just a cut scene, its game play, its scenarios, its characters, its level design, its visuals along with words. So on that note, everyone has been extending sonic the same courtesy, its just that Sonic hasn't been engaging in any meaningful fashion for years. Gameplay is very important , but story is a lot more important than you give it credit for and is interwoven in multiple facets of gameplay beyond " the cut scene happens here" 

But to this briefly, people play games for different reasons, and story is more intertwined in game play than you may realize. 

Obviously this doesn't apply to every game. Like what does story mean in tetris ( which does have a story ironically enough ) 

Believe me I'd love for the story to be an action packed thrill ride like a lot of the games pre-2010, but after Lost World and the complete shitting on the brand Boom did Sonic needs to learn how to run on his own two feet again instead of the walls and jumping on bounce pads.

That makes no sense? Because booms failure in branding has nothing to do with anything, and there were two good games before lost world, that they know are good games directly stated they are taking from and are hopefully using to make another good game. Also that still wouldn't necessarily  have anything to do with making the games world and characters feel actually engaging, which... even those good games failed to actually do. Which would...  you know improve those games. 

And the people that keep claiming Aaron Webber is tarnishing the brand's oh-so-illustrious name need to chillout.  

Eh... i think its more Sega than Aaron meaning harm. Folks get salt about Arron being or at least trying to be funny. But the deal is, if sega treated the characters and worlds you liked with respect... Arron jokes would be nothing but that.  Lets stop blaming everything on everything else, and lets blame the people actually putting out the uninteresting or bad product that allows for you to feel that way. Arron is just doing his job. 

He understands how to market to the internet which is something many corporations would die for and he's made Sonic more relevant

Eh....? Untill we see how that translate to actual sales... not really? Its just a funny twitter until then. It didn't help the actual legit good sonic game that came out last year for the 3ds. It quietly failed, heck I don't think most people who buy sonic game knows the sonic twitter or the sonic media branch even exists 

than he's been in years just by taking the piss out of what was already a pretty silly franchise to begin with (remember the villain of it all originated from a caricature of Theodore Roosevelt in pajamas).

Sure I guess?

He and his team managed to get a commercial for Sonic on Adult Swim that just advertised Sonic himself.

Well yeah, you pay for advertising space, and then you put the ad. I can hypothetically pay for advertising space for my left armpit. That doesn't really mean its a successful advertising campaign for my left armpit. It just means I payed for it. And on that note, with some anecdotal evidence, I haven't actually heard anyone talk about that commercial. And I'm , assume in the exact demo for late night adult swim weird ass commercials, and I have heard no talk. More talk about rick and morrty though. If we can get silver to go back in time to steal the szechuan sauce , we might be in business . 

I may be overestimating

You might be wildly , lets wait untill we see actual results. I'm all for weird ass commercials in the dead of the night, but that's all it is really

this but frankly that seems like an innovative concept to me to just advertise a character without necessarily attaching a product to it,

Weird advert campaigns aren't new. Burger King did it with the king, and KFC while also advertising their chicken also does it with whoever the hell the colonel is at any given moment. 

• Thumbs Up 2

It's the equivalent of making Sonic say something terribly cliche as, "you won't get away with this you madman!"

But I mean, he'd never say anything like that 

• Thumbs Up 2

21 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

It's the equivalent of making Sonic say something terribly cliche as, "you won't get away with this you madman!"

Maybe not Sonic but 06 Sonic? Oh most definitely!

But speaking about the "stealing candy from a baby" line being something you'd hear from Boom/Pontaff, I can actually imagine the joke where Sonic tells Eggman that he probably couldn't even steal a lollipop from the walrus baby. And then Eggman tries but fails miserably in hilarious ways. That'd be funny but it would intentionally funny. 

Shadow is well-established to be a serious character, if not, the most serious of the main cast. So hearing him say stupid shit like that really bastardizes his character. Granted, that's not to say you can't make funny situations he can be in, the Archie Comics and heck even Rivals 2 did comedy with Shadow really well without making him OoC.

Shadow as a game is pretty decent and I find to be pretty fun (terrible missions aside, looking at you Lost Impact Hero and Mad Matrix Dark) but good grief, everything else about that game was fucking atrocious (except that sexy edge music yoh, SO GOOD!).

I'm actually the ones Kellan mentioned. Not like anybody cares, but my first Sonic game was Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast, and ever since then I've been following the Sonic fandom ever since. I've went back played all the classic games through the various rereleases, and I don't think that a Sonic game that takes itself even a little bit serious is not a bad thing. 

Some people have to understand that not everyone was born in the early 90s, there has been more Sonic games made in the "Modern Era" than there was in the classics. So it makes sense for a lot of the fans of Sonic to have started with Sonic Adventure onward to want a more "serious" or "edgy" game. Like have you seen the cartoons lately, especially through the mids 00' onward. Cartoons like Avatar: The Last Airbender and it's sequel series Legend of Korra was a nick show and it took itself serious and was still fun to watch. Even with other cartoon shows like in the CN Network, Steven Universe sometimes be going into some deep shit, and so has other various cartoon show has, so I don't see whats the problem here?

As long as the story is executed correctly has structure it doesn't matter if its a light hearted story or not. Its not the story being told that is in the wrong, is the way the story is being told.

7 minutes ago, JezMM said:

What gets me the most about the candy/baby line is he says it on the HERO path.  While all of ShtH is hypothetical what-if scenarios aside from the points that remain canon in the last story, Iizuka literally decided, a good-natured Shadow is still ambigious enough to think taking candy from babies is okay.

I FEEL like the line was maybe just badly written, like he's saying "an act that is as easy to do as taking candy from a baby is fine by me", i.e. he has no problem taking the easy/low road when it's presented to him on a silver platter.

But it's still a fucking stupid line lmao.

Fixed it for ya, yoh!

2 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

I still can't get over the fact that Sonic actually said this to Eggman lol

To me it's like hearing Sonic say "You won't get away with this Eggman, you fuckin' sicko! You're fucked in the head, man!" 

Also, I linked this guy's Sonic Forces video before and I feel as though this one is kinda relevant. The long and short of it is that having Sonic talk excessively in long exposition sequences has only ever been a detriment to his overall character.

Personally I think Kazeblade just keeps knocking the ball out of the park with these video-essays. I've always thought Sonic would just work so much better if he were a silent protagonist (obviously, we're far from that dream at this point). 

• Thumbs Up 3

4 hours ago, FFWF said:

Oh, the real problem with that line isn't that it's edgy.  Quite the opposite.  It's that it's essentially self-parody.  It's the most ridiculous, juvenile form of villainy you can possibly conceive of, and the moment you put it in Shadow's mouth, his personality and history become completely impossible to take seriously, because it's clear that the game isn't taking them seriously, either.  Shadow literally saying he's okay with taking candy from a baby, the ultimate cliché of childhood villainy, was a Pontaff- and Boom-level line.  It might even be the silliest thing that anyone's ever said in a Sonic game, especially considering it's in the mouth of Shadow, the epitome of edgy, rather than someone like Eggman or even Rouge.

But I didn't take the game seriously in the first place? Maybe i'm just used to liking batshit crazy narratives. 

Like if they made a Shadow 2,and played it up more. Like a stupid action flick, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Just spewing dumb lines and things exploding, I would be way into it. Also it has to play well, that too. But I like silly lines? I guess, it doesn't really make me take the character less seriously, its a work of fiction so on some level unless its berzerk there is a level of "this is silly fun times" i have at all times. I dunno just me

3 hours ago, BubbleButt TV said:

I still can't get over the fact that Sonic actually said this to Eggman lol

To me it's like hearing Sonic say "You won't get away with this Eggman, you fuckin' sicko! You're fucked in the head, man!" 

Also, I linked this guy's Sonic Forces video before and I feel as though this one is kinda relevant. The long and short of it is that having Sonic talk excessively in long exposition sequences has only ever been a detriment to his overall character.

Personally I think Kazeblade just keeps knocking the ball out of the park with these video-essays. I've always thought Sonic would just work so much better if he were a silent protagonist (obviously, we're far from that dream at this point). 

That video... In short...

"SHUT UP AND DO SOMETHING!!!!"

With which, I actually wholeheartedly agree. Shut up Sonic, just take action. I'd be fine with voice acting being gone for a while.

(Thank you Mania for putting tape on everyone's mouth!)

4 hours ago, JezMM said:

Is "madman" really that big a deal?  I mean Eggman is a man and he is kinda mad.  Though unfortunately I can't remove "madman" from the British lad talk meme.

"So I told Eggman to seize control of the ARK with the seven chaos emeralds.. he actually did it the absolute madman hahahahahahaha"

Madman is one of those terms an old comic book superhero would use, and used in conjunction with "you won't get away with this!" makes it about as cheesy as it can get. Yeah, Eggman is a madman, but having Sonic yell "unhand her you fiend!" would be in the same ballpark.

Maybe it's an American thing, idk. But I always laugh when Sonic says that line.

I think hearing Sonic say fiend or madman doesn't fit with Sonic's attitude. Teenagers with attitude don't use formal words, they trash talk their enemies.

And damn son, Sonic is one big shittalker!

Spoiler

This is why Sonic's a bad influence in children 

2 hours ago, Soni said:

I think hearing Sonic say fiend or madman doesn't fit with Sonic's attitude.

Soooo...is it also too outlandish to hear Sonic say "I'll find that Eggman and put him of commission"...or is that fair game?

That's too far into the other spectrum 

I mean, it was already weird how jovial Sonic when he pretty much killed King Arthur (before he realized he was a fake all along)

Why take it a step further?

2 hours ago, Soni said:

Teenagers with attitude don't use formal words, they trash talk their enemies.

And damn son, Sonic is one big shittalker!

I think that your suggestion to restrict the use of 'formal words' isn't really needed. Sonic has always been a very talkative character, even before he talked in the games and cartoons Sonic was using TV ads to make snarky comments. But to say that Sonic can't use formal words? That's just hobbling the potential dialogue for no good reason.

Sonic, as a hero from the 90s, is a master of sarcastic and witty come backs. This incidentally reveals something important about Sonic's character: he has the sharp intelligence and broad knowledge base to quickly turn the tables on anything his enemies might say. This includes the opportunity to use bigger and more complicated words at the right moment, allowing Sonic to throw Eggman off guard with a witty retort that only makes Sonic look even cooler as a result.

Overall, smarter dialogue with more ‘formal words’ is something I’d like to see in Sonic Forces. Ever since Sonic Colours, thanks to the sub-standard writing of Pontac and Graff, there’s been a general dumbing down of the characters. Knuckles has probably suffered the worst but Sonic’s dialogue has also been affected for the worse. That’s what Pontac and Graff never understood about Sonic as a character - Sonic the Hedgehog likes to present a laid-back attitude so nobody thinks he’s paying attention but truthfully Sonic is actually one of the smartest characters in the room.