Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

I know the game's not finnished, but Sonic looks soooo weird when running without the boost. Can't put a finger on why. Stiff as hell. Almost awfull.

1 minute ago, Drunk Michael Myers said:

I know the game's not finnished, but Sonic looks soooo stiff when running. Awful running animation.

I dunno, I think they might be tweaking it to give him ore of a Sonic Adventure 1 style animation.

(That one was the best running animation, dude had some hop along in his giddy-up!)

1 minute ago, Chris Knopps said:

I dunno, I think they might be tweaking it to give him ore of a Sonic Adventure 1 style animation.

(That one was the best running animation, dude had some hop along in his giddy-up!)

I agree with this post 100%.

Just now, Drunk Michael Myers said:

I agree with this post 100%.

That's actually a mod someone made in Sonic Generations that I thought made Sonic look much better, more... Loosey goosey, not so tense.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, StaticMania said:

I'd imagine that no one wants to play as a squid with only half the tentacles...

That's what you really think? Say for yourself. I'd LOOOOOVE playing with my fav character ever, Yacker. 

Funny that's mentioned; the Adventure Generations animation looks particularly stiff and unnatural lol. His arms are pulled up way higher than they should and it doesn't look very aerodynamic for the speeds he's going. Not quite the exact same can be said about Forces here, but I'm getting a little bit of the same vibe.

Forces itself looks somewhere between pretty exciting and extremely worrying, lmao. Not sure what to think until footage longer than 20 seconds and better quality than "blurry offscreen shot" come up.

• Thumbs Up 8

43 minutes ago, Ayliffe said:

Also, expanding on this - can we please have some form of camera controls in Forces? There's a second analogue stick on the controllers Sonic Team, may as well assign some form of camera controls to it.

It would be really annoying for any 3D game released in 2017 to not have some sort of camera control. Linear levels or the player rarely using camera controls don't justify removing them altogether at all. The thing is that most kids don't even use these controls, which is one of the main reasons why Ratchet & Clank [2016] started off with a forced tutorial on how to properly use the camera. 

1 minute ago, BubbleButt TV said:

It would be really annoying for any 3D game released in 2017 to not have some sort of camera control. Linear levels or the player rarely using camera controls don't justify removing them altogether at all. The thing is that most kids don't even use these controls, which is one of the main reasons why Ratchet & Clank [2016] started off with a forced tutorial on how to properly use the camera. 

That's boost automation for you. Locked in camera and a straight path. Even if you do look around there's generally not much to look at save random "scenery" locales.

47 minutes ago, Drunk Michael Myers said:

I know the game's not finnished, but Sonic looks soooo weird when running without the boost. Can't put a finger on why. Stiff as hell. Almost awfull.

Looking at it again, I think part of the reason for that could be that they just haven't programmed the movement physics into Sonic's spines yet. All of the other boost games show his spines fanning backward while he runs, but that effect is absent here. A good example would be the PS2 version of Unleashed, which didn't have it at all due to graphical limitations.

It seems like a mix of Colours and Generations, which I suppose is why those games are mentioned.

The effects mostly seem from Colours, even if most assets are from Generations.

Should be good to see more.

Gameplay footage from the event upscaled. In HD and 60fps by the looks of it too!

I'm sorry, but this is just awesome. Looks brilliant and loving the music.

Wow, looks like a demolished rooftop run. I'm loving it! Still curious as to what the third gameplay style will be.

Now that we have a clearer video, everything looks so incredible. Glad to see Sonic Team kept the hedgehog engine. 

1 minute ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

Gameplay footage from the event upscaled. In HD and 60fps by the looks of it too!

Now something catches my eye. I noticed how Sonic only boosted after he ran through a white wisps capsule.

Could they possibly be limiting the boost to wisp energy again?

That'd be a keen means of limiting the boost to not get spammed all over the place.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

Now something catches my eye. I noticed how Sonic only boosted after he ran through a white wisps capsule.

Could they possibly be limiting the boost to wisp energy again?

That'd be a keen means of limiting the boost to not get spammed all over the place.

This was officially confirmed yesterday evening!

Just now, Sonikko said:

This was officially confirmed yesterday evening!

Eh? I knew that wisps' presence was confirmed yesterday, but boost energy being attained by wisps? I don't recall that. Was it during the recap panel?

Looks good. I like the story we're hearing so far. Disappointing the Sonic cast are apparently relegated to side characters again. Still fully expecting the third gameplay style to be some sort of Adventure style stages, but not sure what they're going to do with it.

Not enough to judge so far, but it looks fun at least. Graphics look solid.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/sonic_forces/b/playstation4/archive/2017/03/17/sonic-forces-extended-gameplay-reveal-demo.aspx

As the level progresses, side-characters like Knuckles, Amy, and some members of the Chaotix communicate with Sonic via radio as if to report in on what they're seeing during the assault.

oh man I can't wait for the return of "THAT LOOKS LIKE A HOMING SHOT!"

• Thumbs Up 6

Well, it really is "not" Generations 2 then ahahah. One thing I'd like to point out is that Sonic moves in a very straight line, like he did in Colours. It's not something I really enjoy, it takes away too much control from the player. It didn't happen THAT much in Generations, quicksteps sections aside.

• Thumbs Up 1