Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

3 hours ago, Gabe said:

This is actually a rather substantial revelation, IMO. Iizuka from Colors to Lost World has been the sole producer of all Sonic Team/Dimps games up to this point, this is the first time we're getting a different producer for the game since Unleashed. Iizuka stepping away from the producer's chair (or alternatively, sharing it as a co-producer) for Sonic Forces may hint to the creative direction for this game going in a different direction. It is worth noting that Iizuka is also not producing Mania either, and ST as a whole pretty much left Sanzaru to their own devices in the development for Fire and Ice. This might be an indication that Iizuka, with his new supervisory role, is now taking a more hands-off approach with the development of Sonic games.

Iizuka retrurned to the US (again) after Lost World (I think Kazuyuki Hoshino did too). They are probably just overseeing/marketing both US and Japanese Sonic directions. Iizuka and Hoshino are the most senior members of Sonic Team (Iizuka joined 1993, Hoshino joined 1991). Now the Japanese Sonic Team has mostly members that have been active around 1999 onwards (and later). The exception of this being Nakamura who was there during Sonic R, in 1996. Nakamura has handled the most supervisory/management roles too recently (Project Support and Supervisor credits)

i think we will be getting more than what we saw in the trailer tomorrow The way that it faded to black just felt like the sorta cut you do when you are showing a piece of a much larger trailer.

I see no reason to "wait for them to learn what to do with the characters they already have" for them to add more characters. If the writing is bad it's probably going to be bad whether they add a new character or not. If they have trouble adding a character or 2 to the story you might as well give up on the story right away.

People keep saying "they don't know what to do with sonic" like there is some single right answer. Making a new game with 3 separate but similar playstyles is what they have decided to do even if some are not a fan. It's also using play styles that have been common for about a decade now aside from some tweaking. I don't at all get this impression that they are at all confused or just figuring things out based on this game. 

I like the boost formula and will enjoy it even if it's the same as it's been for a while but I would enjoy more open stages if they can think of a good way to implement them into this game.

I found it cool how the robots were not just attacking but there were random things shooting back. I don't know if this is just some sorta city defense force or if Sonic's Forces are already around the town.

In universe explanations for Wisps would be neat but I personally don't really care.

• Thumbs Up 4

Explanation for Wisps? That would be easy, they joined the Sonic resistance. It was confirmed in Sonic Runners that they liked Sonic and his planet and are now willing to help him whenever necessary.

1 minute ago, Ajavalo said:

Explanation for Wisps? That would be easy, they joined the Sonic resistance. It was confirmed in Sonic Runners that they liked Sonic and his planet and are now willing to help him whenever necessary.

But do we consider Runners as officially canon though?

I think it might be better for Forces' Story to give us a decent explanation as to why the Wisps are there, 'cause right now I'm hella confused about why the Wisps did come back. Did NOT expect that move AT ALL. :o 

Btw, let me give the reason why I really like the Wisps as a permanent addition to the franchise: What has Sonic done ever since he started adventuring? Rescuing animals, right? The Wisps are also little animals he saves from Eggman's exploitation, except they are alien and capable of giving the rescuer a useful energy rush.

Yes, some of the Color powers are a bit useless and/or unfun, but some of them such as Laser, Drill and Rocket are perfect addition to Sonic's gameplay because they're speed focused! They let Sonic bring his trademark speeds to the sky, underground and underwater! So I wouldn't mind seeing them in this game and future ones.

I really hope they keep the camera view behind Sonic(s). It doesn't really matter in some scripted events but not a fan of the side view with "Modern" Sonic.

Same thing as we saw on the panel, only now in Full HD. I do believe both Gene and Webber confirmed this to happen. Would be amazed if they showed more. :D

I hope they show more, not want to sound like an asshole, but FFS, this was announced in July without a name, and half a year later we get only 20 secs of ONE of the 3 gameplay styles? Hell no, Sonic Team.

The new playable character is Chris Thorndyke. In his levels you run around the city screaming your head off trying not to get hit by enemies. One hit and he dies. When you reach the end of the stage, you'll meet up with one of the other cast members telling him to go home. Chris replies he was only wanting to help, then runs off to somewhere else.

I jest, of course. Each stage is instead like Generations' Perfect Chaos boss fight, but each section being for one of the three playstyles and more like a proper level in length for each section.

5 hours ago, RictalRose0 said:

It all depends on who this new character is and if they are the new playable character. They could be a Chip, and just follow Sonic around. Or a Sticks/Marine, as in, they're new but they don't really do anything significant and we're just blowing it out of proportion. Or three; It's Boom!Sonic. Four and better alternative, it's Future Sonic.

I'm expecting the new character to just be another Chip-like character or another antagonist, but its hard to say.

I mean, even the past several titles have had new characters. Except Generations. Colors introduced the wisps and Cubot (plus established Orbot with a proper name).

SambaDeAmigo.jpg

Y'know, Shun Nakamura was also the director of this game so don't get carried away thinking he's going to turn Forces into Sonic '06 the sequel. ?

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, TheLaw34 said:

i think we will be getting more than what we saw in the trailer tomorrow

That one Polygon member on Twitter said he got to see half an hour of footage and couldn't talk about it until today sooo we just might, maybe even a full level playthrough on the Polygon channel.

6 hours ago, The J said:

But do we consider Runners as officially canon though?

That would be some addition to the main canon

Image result for sonic runners robot eggman

seriously what the hell was going on with these

2 hours ago, BlueFlare said:

I really hope they keep the camera view behind Sonic(s). It doesn't really matter in some scripted events but not a fan of the side view with "Modern" Sonic.

Also, expanding on this - can we please have some form of camera controls in Forces? There's a second analogue stick on the controllers Sonic Team, may as well assign some form of camera controls to it.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Ayliffe said:

Also, expanding on this - can we please have some form of camera controls in Forces? There's a second analogue stick on the controllers Sonic Team, may as well assign some form of camera controls to it.

There's no point to camera controls if there's only one direction in which to go.

Which, judging by the gameplay shown, may well be the case, as with Generations.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Ayliffe said:

Perhaps they will implement it in the third gameplay style which they announced to be a thing. Don't see it being handy for either Modern of Classic Sonic's gameplay. :/

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, The J said:

Perhaps they will implement it in the third gameplay style which they announced to be a thing. Don't see it being handy for either Modern of Classic Sonic's gameplay. :/

I'd like a camera like the one we had in Unleashed HD, you couldn't rotate it, but you could shift it a little to see what's ahead.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, late to the party, and I'm still trying to figure out what just happened.

First off, suprised that the 3rd character wasn't revealed in the panel, and disappointed that there was no new trailer. That could change later tho...

Sonic Forces?!!! I mean, it's alright, gonna take a while to get used to, but it would've made more sense if Sonic's friends were involved in the fight. I mean, it could happen, with Amy, Shadow and Metal getting cameos... Also, that logo looks so cool! It's not the typical happy colors from the others, it freaking looks revolutionary! 0_0

I think the takeaway for me is the theme song.

I really like the theme song! It reminds me back of Crush 40's guitar tunes I guess... I mean it's made by those who did Runner's soundtrack right?

The vibes I get from this is that there are happy vibes and then it suddenly kicks to badass guitar/violin vibes...

AND THEN IT SUDDENLY TURNS SINISTER IN THE END WITH THAT PIANO. Reminding ya of the freaking destruction of the town with huge laser firing robots. Honestly the ending of the theme was my favourite, just AAAAAAAAA-

I'm a bit confused tho, we've got no idea whether the new character is a hero/villain, (I hope he/she's on the good side, I feel we got too many villains already). And this song's gonna have vocals? I feel it's better off without vocals, the instrumental freaking speaks for itself.

Gaaaah that song hyped me up. I do hope more will be revealed at E3, who the 3rd character is gonna be, and what the gameplay will be like... finger crossed also for a good story.

• Thumbs Up 3

The title doesn't work for me; it just doesn't flow right.  But I'm intrigued by what they've shown so far, at least.  Especially the monochrome Death Egg Robot.

The mention of three gameplay styles does seem to naturally imply the presence of a third playable character, presumably a Sonic from both the company and the title; Boom Sonic is very possible considering how long this game's been in development.  But it'd be very interesting if they were actually adding some kind of open-field gameplay style in addition to Boost and platforming, whether or not it's tied to a new character.

I hope the press information this afternoon will give us some information on what the name of the stage might be; that could be quite an insight.

So, someone posted this earlier but I'd like to point out that you can actually hear some parts of the theme of this level, it's a fast paced orchestra rock mix similar to Dr. Eggman Showdown from Lost World and Rooftop Run day.

8 hours ago, Soniman said:

The only place I want her thrown is in the garbage 

Woah woah woah woah woah, WOAH!!

Bad opinion... Bad!! -sprays with water-

Bein' real with ya though, I feel that way about everything revolving the BOOM franchise EXCEPT for Sticks, with her personality it would actually be excellent for Sonic Forces as she could handle all the comedy aspects, making it to where Sonic being more "serious" or "edgy" isn't so bad with Sticks to balance things out.

• Thumbs Up 1