Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

They're trees that are meant to only show up for a split second in the distance, they're not going to put much detail into those. :V

Looking at gameplay, what exactly is this game's art direction? It has realistic water, lightning, flames, buildings, bridges... But then there's also a very blocky and simplistic area Green Hill-like that looks like it came from Sonic Lost World? I'm confused and intrigued.

Well, if there's one things that white wisps are good for, it is certainly putting a more proper limit on the boost gauge that Generations was sorely lacking.

So far, I can approve of the way they to be used from what we've. Again SO FAR from what little we've seen. Full impression of them in this game is still pending for moi.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Azoo said:

Desperately holding off on impressions until more footage.

It's just *dash pad* there's something *dash pad* about this *dash pad* footage that *dash pad* is making *dash pad* me not *dash pad* really think *dash pad* it looks *dash pad* very *dash pad* fun *dash pad* yet *dash pad*.

Very much this. It's so... automated. Like, distractingly so. Also not thrilled to hear from previews that Modern's still got 2D bits, and I'm mixed on boost power being limited to Wisps. I get the "it makes the boost less overpowered" argument (especially given I just called out the automation) but if we're going to have a rollercoaster-style gameplay style that's inherently got elements of automation to it, Colours' way seems odd. Idk. Depends how it's designed I guess, I just... wasn't fond of Colours lol. 

Saying that; it looks good visually at least, and 60fps is something I honestly didn't expect. The atmosphere isn't as jarring as I feared either, though I much prefer the aesthetic Mania's going for. Still, something for everyone this year innit.

• Thumbs Up 8

Now that you mention it, I wonder why it's the classic dash... rubber boosty things instead of the modern ones that are flat. Hmm.

1 minute ago, Jango said:

Looking at gameplay, what exactly is this game's art direction? It has realistic water, lightning, flames, buildings, bridges... But then there's also a very blocky and simplistic area Green Hill-like that looks like it came from Sonic Lost World? I'm confused and intrigued.

Let me answer this question with another question...

What IS art?

2 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Well people say sonic is going in the wrong direction.

That's why they put so many dash pads down... so he goes in the right direction 

I'd be laughing if it wasn't likely that they actually believe this.

I don't know guys, I'm trying really hard to hold on. I'm not even against another boost game (I loved Unleashed and Generations was fun), but the only thing from this footage that I picked up was "dash pads, corridors, dash pads, homing chains, more dashpads" and pretty much nothing else. I'm kind of..

I'm holding on til more footage before final word. It's hard, but I am.

1 minute ago, Jango said:

Its art style is "we have no idea what to do, just mash everything together and hope it works". Coincidentally that's also its gameplay style.

• Thumbs Up 6

So was to days big footage just yesterday's in actual hd format? Sad :(. Also noting on the new character either?

3 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Its art style is "we have no idea what to do, just mash everything together and hope it works". .

Or it could just be a little of something from each era for everyone, there's that too.

C'mon, it doesn't have to be an act of cluelessness with everything they do just because it doesn't please certain ideals.

• Thumbs Up 7

PRETTY FUCKING MUCH,@Diogenes. Unless it was made on purpose and has something to do with the story... But how? Could this blocky areas be from another dimension? Blaze's? Nega's?

Just now, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

Or it could just be a little of something from each era for everyone, there's that too.

C'mon, it doesn't have to be an act of cluelessness with everything they do just because it doesn't please certain ideals.

When it comes to Sonic Team, cluelessness is always my first assumption. And nothing we've seen of this game gives me reason to think otherwise.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't really think including Lost World elements into the scenery is a must have for many people, if anyone, especially in a game catering to a primarily realistic design with touches of Unleashed and its pixar-esque look thrown in.

10 minutes ago, Azoo said:

Desperately holding off on impressions until more footage.

It's just *dash pad* there's something *dash pad* about this *dash pad* footage that *dash pad* is making *dash pad* me not *dash pad* really think *dash pad* it looks *dash pad* very *dash pad* fun *dash pad* yet *dash pad*.

PebwZx.gif

Never forget

• Thumbs Up 7

Pretty much the same opinion as Jez here, it's looking fantastic to me. I just really enjoy the Boost games, man.

I would prefer if Modern Sonic didn't have 2D sections, but hey. Let's go into hypothetically for a minute.

Classic Sonic is fully 2D, we know that.

Modern is 3D and 2D.

What if the 3rd style is completely 3D?

And much as I like Boom Sonic I doubt it's gonna be him. I just don't know who it could be.

• Thumbs Up 2

Corr, this game looks super rad. Considering both trailers have only shown off what appears to be the first stage, I think there's a bit of worry that this is what the entire game will consist of. But personally, I think they've only been means to express the tone of what this game is going for, and to be frank, I am DIGGING IT. I love the fact that the tone of this game seems to finally be looking ambitious and grand in its scale, with the last game even attempting that being Unleashed. Does that mean that it can't still be messed up? Of course it can, but regarding stuff like the social media presence acknowledging the tones of 06 and Shadow, and the restructuring over at SEGA, I think they're gonna hit a really nice middle ground here. Plus, that main theme sounds ultra hype, it really takes me back to the Dreamcast days and their level of stylistic rock (I know Secret Rings and Black Knight had this music style too, but I think they came across as way cheesier there.)

But man, what I'm wondering about is this third gameplay style, and why SEGA's so keen on keeping it so close to their chest? Are they that confident that what they're going to show us is going to hype us up that much? I've been trying to consider this, and I think the obvious answer is that it's some kind of third Sonic, because only having two and then one other guy seems weirdly asymmetrical to me. My guess is that the major possibilities are Boom Sonic (unlikely imo, considering the reputation he's garnered among the gaming community), Werehog Sonic (also unlikely for similar reasons, but might fit the tone slightly more), Adventure Sonic (I know people joke about Modern and Dreamcast being one in the same, but from a gameplay perspective, I think they're distinct enough and represent two clearly defined eras enough to warrant possible inclusion), or some crazy curveball, like Metal Sonic or a future Sonic. Still don't understand how this "forces" concept is going to play into everything, or why SEGA's being so damn secretive of almost everything about this game, but they've got my attention. Not gonna lie, I'm getting pretty hyped.

• Thumbs Up 3

Hey guys check it out

The trees at the start of the stage

AWbGklK.png

Seem to be the same kind of tree/s that can be seen in the distance here

download.png

Except when Sonic passes by nearby them, they look much more detailed; realistic, even

Perhaps that's the case with all the cartoony elements this time around?

• Thumbs Up 3

I want to point this out...

You folks hear the nuclear-esque sirens going off in the stage?

I'll admit, that's bad@$$.

• Thumbs Up 7

I mean boost gameplay is fine.  just means it will be a very easy game since literally it looks to be a on rails run. Long as you know how to home attack also and possibly another easy platinum trophy.

Game looks beautiful no argument on that at all. Mmm

1llfyo.gif

Hard to see in this gif, but I wanted to point out the level of interactivity.
A piece of a broken robot Sonic hit before entering this section hit that wooden road blocked sign and moved it. It's at around 13 seconds in the trailer!

• Thumbs Up 7