Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

2 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Ha ha. Funny. You're a funny one.

The thing about the Adventure games is they used "rails" like that as part of the scenery, to emphasize the location around you. It was part of the "art" of the game itself. The rails you pointed out emphasized the "upward down city" of the ARK and the colossal planet below waiting for you to mess up and burn to death.

Using rails like THAT is entirely different than boost games.

It's is a rail where if you jump off you literally die. Do you like it or not?

I dunno, bring back the dash mechanic from Sonic Advance 2? I don't what it was called but basically if you kept playing well by saving your momentum you went fast as hell regardless of character. That seems to me like a more fun mechanic that the Boost. Though i'm not sure how it would work in 3D.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Diogenes said:

I mean, only as much as it is in practically every game with a death state. The Genesis games are for the most part pretty generous thanks to the ring mechanics letting you take a ton of hits so long as you're good at recollecting them and instant death not being too common an obstacle. You've certainly got to put in practice to play well, but they didn't lean so hard on pass-or-die obstacles as the boost games (or a lot of the 3D games, really).

The platforming is all minor and really shitty, though. At most it only ever feels like a thing they felt they had to put in because it's ostensibly a platformer but they halfassed it so you can quickly get back to boosting like the game is really about.

I agree it's by the numbers (I wouldn't go so far as to say shitty, like, I enjoyed it since they finally got the controls tight enough for the act of jumping on platforms to actually be enjoyable in itself in Generations) and would definitely like to see it improved.

But it is a thing that isn't automated, which was my main point.  You can get across these sections methodically OR be risky and try boosting across them and only making a couple of jumps.  It's not just a QTE that could be replaced with homing attack chains and rails like Knopps was suggesting.

It's also one of those annoying things where in boost level design, the most interesting platforming is also the hardest, and thus is tucked away on very tricky to access routes (or in Unleashed's case, within the DLC stages).  So no-one really ever really knows it's there or enjoys it other than the intermediately hardcore boost fans who like the style enough to be good at/play it a lot, but aren't so hardcore they're speedrunning and just skipping over that stuff entirely.  Definitely a place where I'd like to see the boost gameplay improve upon.

Ah yes, Final Chase and Final Rush. Stages where grinding was actually a really cool mechanic and not some dull gimmick you can do.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, RictalRose0 said:

I dunno, bring back the dash mechanic from Sonic Advance 2? I don't what it was called but basically if you kept playing well by saving your momentum you went fast as hell regardless of character. That seems to me like a more fun mechanic that the Boost. Though i'm not sure how it would work in 3D.

It wouldn't work in 3D...3D games simply aren't as kinetic to work with that mechanic, which requires the constant movement to be "beneficial"...

Just now, Remy said:

It's is a rail where if you jump of you literally die. Do you like it or not?

"Goon" = Unnecessary

Secondly, the thing is the design of the stages in general. Those were "instances" of design to emphasize specific locations whereas boost games are like that from start to finish. You're always on a rail, asides when you jump and/or homing attack. You even side-step like side-jumping rails.

You're essentially on a roller coaster, one with many gaps and obstacles in a random, knee-jerk kind of way. Something pops up, and you either attack or halt/die. Not very surprising in a positive way.

Just to break the several debates on whether the Boost gameplay is good or not.

Just want to let you know that Shun Nakamura, the director for 06, is the producer for Forces.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Remy said:

Who would be less than smart to jump off the railing?

7 minutes ago, Remy said:

• Thumbs Up 2

We're fuc*ed. Just kidding, we'll be alright. This game will look gorgeous, sound gorgeous and play fine (unless the third gameplay style ruins it), so it's all good. Relax people.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Remy said:

If you're just using "Final Rush" as an example, this doesn't work. There are a whole lot of rails in that stage, where typically jumping off to switch to a different rail leads the player to a different path (diversion path, Unleashed-esque). Also those speed run short cuts where you can just jump off, because the death plane is at the very bottom.

3 minutes ago, Soni said:

Just want to let you know that Shun Nakamura, the director for 06, is the producer for Forces.

tumblr_oe98doZcGP1tkb2p0o1_400.gif

Oh holy crap, no fu@$ing way.

This is awesome man, this is going to be a good year.

• Thumbs Up 2

So far my only concern about this game (based on what little we've seen) is how creative it can be. I like the whole "bleak future" thing as much as the next guy but so far everything we've seen of this game is gloom and doom and giant evil robots and destroyed cities. I'm sure the levels will vary from cities but how much variety does this give the player? Will every level have lava/fire as a gimmick or will there be different tropes and more "Sonic" type elements? 

The brief level they showed looked a lot like what we saw in Unleashed and generations, just mixed with some fiery elements. The change of tone is welcome. I just hope they don't go too far the other way. 

Boost gameplay may not be a quick time event the entire way through but for 89% of the way it sure as hell does feel like a quick time event. Literally just hold boost through 2/3 of a stage only stopping when you come to a wall or small area forcing you to jump on a platform to the next

He hasn't worked on a Sonic game since Black Knight apparently. Huh.

Guess they might be TRYING to get some of that 2000s era "edge" back. Doesn't mean the game won't be quality though.

• Thumbs Up 8

6 minutes ago, Soni said:

Well at least we can expect more of a longer game? Maybe?... 

12 minutes ago, SonicDude said:

Lmfao, nice job to you. You missed the point of my post. Not even sarcasm! The physics make it different, your jumps aren't the same every time. They are angled differently, inertia and momentum alters your movement to make it less like a movie. They could show Sonic Unleashed playthroughs at the cinema and it would be basically the same as playing it if you've already beaten the game a few times. LMAO!

I wasn't joking when I was complimenting you, so I don't know why you're trying to sound passive-aggressive, but okay. -shrugs-

Absolutely all of what you said applies to the Boosting games as well. Especially Colors and Generations. They're all affected by those same things. Saying that they aren't means that you're just ignoring what they actually have just to appease your own biased negative opinions like a couple of you are doing right now.

Not that anyone can stop you. You're more than free to keep doing so, even if you aren't definitively correct.

In my case, I don't need to defend one style of Sonic over the other since I like Classic, Adventure, Heroes, Advance, Rush and the console boosting games. The only gameplay styles I don't like are Lost World and Secret Rings and even then, my issue with Lost World stems more from the level design while all of my problems with Secret Rings were fixed in Black Knight, so I'm pretty much set.

I don't see why everyone feels to need to get so bent out of shape over all of these styles when in the end of the day, it's still Sonic and just a game. But, opinions and tastes and all of that.

1 hour ago, Soni said:

Cool.

I'll be honest, I don't really think that means anything but it's an interesting fun fact.

Now we know where the apocalyptic ideas came from.

And the fire... Lots and LOTS of fire. lol

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Waveshocker Sigma said:

I wasn't joking when I was complimenting you, so I don't know why you're trying to sound passive-aggressive, but okay. -shrugs-

Absolutely all of what you said applies to the Boosting games as well. Especially Colors and Generations. They're all affected by those same things. Saying that they aren't means that you're just ignoring what they actually have just to appease your own biased negative opinions like a couple of you are doing right now.

Not that anyone can stop you. You're more than free to keep doing so, even if you aren't definitively correct.

In my case, I don't need to defend one style of Sonic over the other since I like Classic, Adventure, Heroes, Advance, Rush and the console boosting games. The only gameplay styles I don't like are Lost World and Secret Rings and even then, my issue with Lost World stems more from the level design while all of my problems with Secret Rings were fixed in Black Knight, so I'm pretty much set.

I don't see why everyone feels to need to get so bent out of shape over all of these styles when in the end of the day, it's still Sonic and just a game. But, opinions and tastes and all of that.

I was just trying to be funny, no offence intended. I respect your opinion and also see your point. I would never actually get aggressive over a pretend blue hedgehog haha.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm panic. But who knows? Maybe Naka is actually a genius that never managed to finish the materpiece that is 06. Okay i'm joking but at least I can say the guy has ambition. I'm gonna pray such ambition actually pulls through this time.

What if the Boost is no longer stored in the power bar? I noticed that Sonic only uses Boost when it touches speed-grey-things/checkpoints. You maybe has to "collect" the boost to use whenever you want, and once you activate it, it lasts only a few seconds.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Remy said:

Nah you can jump off and live. I do it all the time....usually

Just now, Cakito said:

What if the Boost is no longer stored in the power bar? I noticed that Sonic only uses Boost when it touches speed-grey-things/checkpoints. You maybe has to "collect" the boost to use whenever you want, and once you activate it, it lasts only a few seconds.

A lovely nod to Unwiished lmao.