Awoo.

Pontaff Retrospective: What's Up with all the Hate?

FriendBot

so long as the writing is not just this ^ then i am OK. i do not mind comedy at all, i don't like it when it's overdone. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think some people are reacting way over the top over this news.

They're not that bad.

/insert a they're not that good joke here.

• Thumbs Up 5

Not surprising, but not very ensuring either. I expect that we'll get another tale filled with boring jokes that don't know when to stop, half-baked plot elements, and a complete lack of any sort of quietude. I'm quite prepared.

I really want a game to arrive with some ambition design wise, and narrative competence once more. Not even excellence, as that's something that seems well out of the current realm of possibility, but sheer competence at the very least. Something in the vein of Unleashed, the last game in the series that had lofty aspirations of any sort, even if it didn't quite stick the landing. 

Sorry for that little rant, as I try to refrain from those. I'm just so sick of this series wading in mediocrity. I just want something good from this game, and if such a thing happens, for that level of quality to maintain itself and grow even more.

My brain can be likened to scrambled eggs today. Blah.

• Thumbs Up 4

You know, this might sound weird considering I sometimes make fun of Lost World and have some gripes with how the whole Sonic and Tails stuff wasn't built up or the lameass jokes but I do have to say that LW's writing of the characters and interactions is one of the best in the series and they actually took risks when it came to the main characters which is cool to see. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Mikyeong said:

aatyyyy.thumb.PNG.eb37f0163409c1ac79fae0

bringing this up to say that it looks like Pontac is back as a writer for a future Sonic game. http://aodsf.org/guests/

Well, I can't say that I'm surprised by this confirmation of sorts. I just wish that the fanbase didn't act as if this news is the end of the world or something hyperbolic like that there--it's one thing to not be fond of them; it's another to be needlessly mean about it.

• Thumbs Up 7

I seriously dont care at this point. Fine, pontac and graff are back, with a realy good editor they might be able to bring out an enjoyable story. My expectation are down the drain, but I can at least wait until the game is shown before I make my bed. And at the very least, the rest of the game might be good enough to make me enjoy it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Them again?! great. 

I was hoping that SEGA got the point by now and bring in some new writing blood (Ian Flynn for example) but SEGA insists on shoving these guys down our throats. Colors was okay in my book but everything else after has been a string of disappointments with very little enjoyment out of each.

• Thumbs Up 1

...Imagine if the game IS about Classic Sonic (and maybe co.) and the writers do what they did to Classic Sonic/Robotnik what they've done to Modern Sonic/Eggman...

Oohhh the shit that will fly... And standing with an umbrella laughing I shall be.

This actually makes the anniversary funny in a cruel way really, assuming it's not about Fire and Ice.

Also, with them writing it almost guarantees Nintendo exclusivity because Microsoft/Sony/PC markets aren't into their type of plots I don't believe considering the types of games that are generally on said consoles. I don't see a Lost World script resulting in huge profits.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Detective Paradox said:

I really don't get how consoles affect the plot of a video game...

Really it's a matter of expectations for each console. Pontac and Graff might be suitable for Nintendo consoles, (with this becoming more and more debatable due to recent critiques from both big time critics and fans alike for their writing along with ever dwindling sales figures) but a Pontac and Graff story in a Sonic game on Microsoft/Sony/PC?

I dunno... I feel the plot is half the reason Generations didn't reach 2M sales initially, to me it should have far surpassed it during launch especially since it brought back Classic and was multi-console.

(Did the game ever surpass 2M sales sometime along the way...?)

I just feel they provide too empty an experience for consoles that generally provide more than what they have to offer for fans in their games.

Not really surprised Pontac and Graff are sticking around.

The current tone of the franchise isn't exactly being ridiculed by the general public like it was during the aftermath of Shadow and 06, so I'm sure Sega sees no reason to try and find new writers for the series like they did after Unleashed.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

...Imagine if the game IS about Classic Sonic (and maybe co.) and the writers do what they did to Classic Sonic/Robotnik what they've done to Modern Sonic/Eggman...

Oohhh the shit that will fly... And standing with an umbrella laughing I shall be.

This actually makes the anniversary funny in a cruel way really, assuming it's not about Fire and Ice.

Also, with them writing it almost guarantees Nintendo exclusivity because Microsoft/Sony/PC markets aren't into their type of plots I don't believe considering the types of games that are generally on said consoles. I don't see a Lost World script resulting in huge profits.

The thing is that the general public (by general public I mean the PS/XB/PC audience, though that doesn't necessarily exclude any and all people who primarily play on Nintendo systems) don't really care about narrative in Sonic games. Hell, there are a lot of Sonic fans that don't care about narrative in Sonic games. 

You also have to consider that public opinion of the series has diminished greatly, and many of those who don't closely follow the series--or at all, really--will often decry anything Sonic related at the drop of a hat, regardless of the actual game's merrits. Many of these folks also lie within--you guessed it--the general public. So right there, you have a stigma from a multitude of folks who aren't likely to buy Sonic games, who potentially otherwise may have. While platformers aren't the hottest genre around anymore, that subset of people aren't buying Sonic due to the series not appealing took their sensibilities at a base level, but because they simply view anything Sonic related as a Bad Thing (which, arguably, is fair). Now there are lots of people in the general public who will buy Sonic games without issue, but I doubt they buy them primarily for the story.

As for your story-related point, most fans of platformers in general, really, don't care for traditional narratives. Many don't mind if it's out of the way, but generally, fans of platformers couldn't care less.

The general public doesn't really care about narrative in a Sonic game, they don't sell based off of narrative, and I doubt they ever will.

By the way, Sonic sells well on Nintendo systems because the target audiences for him, kids and fans of platformers, are the primary consumers that buy Nintendo systems. They "type of narrative" has nothing to do with it, it's the type of game that Sonic is that appeals to Nintendo gamers.

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, Clewis said:

Not really surprised Pontac and Graff are sticking around.

The current tone of the franchise isn't exactly being ridiculed by the general public like it was during the aftermath of Shadow and 06, so I'm sure Sega sees no reason to try and find new writers for the series like they did after Unleashed.

From my viewpoint of the vast internet it is, more-so among the fans than critics, but still, it's happening more and more.

50 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Oh, I garuntee you Nintendo Fans don't just accept any old dog shit either. 

The fact of the matter is that the vast majority don't give a shit about the plot in Sonic. Otherwise they would have probably objected to Generations, but most people didn't and regarded it as the best game in years regardless of tthe fact that there wasn't a plot. Colors did betterthe Wii than Generations did on the PS3/360 because the Wii install base is much bigger and has more kids(Sonic's primary audience.) 

Most older gamers don't really care about the plots or the series in general. Sonic doesn't sell as well there because older gamers are apathetic toward the series and platformers in general.

I suppose currently this is true in a way... Nonetheless I see this as an exact reason TO make people care about plot in the franchise again instead of just being about an animal running around at the speed of quickly. Or... However Aaron does those joke things. The franchise needs to be recognized for more than just its game play alone.

2 hours ago, Komodin said:

Well, I can't say that I'm surprised by this confirmation of sorts. I just wish that the fanbase didn't act as if this news is the end of the world or something hyperbolic like that there--it's one thing to not be fond of them; it's another to be needlessly mean about it.

Oh yeah, outside of here I have seen people treat this like it killed their family members and stolen all their money. I mean yeah you can dislike them but...... yeah.

And like I said, Colors may have been a mediocre story but Lost World's character and interaction writing was the best this series has seen. And they did more with the main instead of them saving the day in a new character's story arc.

Just now, Mikyeong said:

Oh yeah, outside of here I have seen people treat this like it killed their family members and stolen all their money. I mean yeah you can dislike them but...... yeah.

And like I said, Colors may have been a mediocre story but Lost World's character and interaction writing was the best this series has seen. And they did more with the main instead of them saving the day in a new character's story arc.

I'd still like to think the company peaked with Unleashed and Black Knight and has been "Lost in their World" ever since.

I dunno... I'm on the ship demanding Japanese writers again. I didn't really care for Tails, well, PMS character in Lost World, feel like it was done better in Unleashed, Colors and Generations. Eggman was pretty much typical for his current character and Sonic was... Ehh... I didn't care for his amped up obnoxiousness.

I'm hoping they take the criticism they got for lost world and will improve. I don't dislike these guys but I will admit that their writing hasn't really been all that stellar since colors. I doubt anything will be as bad Shattered Crystal though.

• Thumbs Up 7

22 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

Sonic Adventure 1 honestly had more interesting characterization and development than Lost World did, mainly because it endeavored to actually write characters with aspirations and goals that followed logically from their personalities and the circumstances that were happening around them, all without making either them or said conflicts aggravating. The only thing Lost World's narrative does that's commendable is try to discuss the moral implications of Sonic's actions, but it fucks that up so thoroughly that it doesn't get more than a gold star for effort.

Reveal hidden contents

It also actually got characters like Tails, Knuckles, and Amy in on the action but that's another rant for another time.

I didn't like the tacky "love confession attempt" it pulled off with Amy, it just... I dunno... Oddly enough, brought back Elise vibes for some reason. It was just something about it that was really, really lame to me, plus the woman's voice acting in that scene was atrocious to boot.

Granted the game attempted to do... Something with the characters, but it felt like a desperate attempt to force character into them rather than just... i dunno... naturally doing so, It literally screamed to me that the writers know nothing about who they're actually writing about, even though we already had this confirmed beforehand that they didn't know the cast and Wikipedia'd the whole franchise.

I feel like rather than uphill, they went sharply, VERY sharply downhill. In the Colors/Colours title they didn't seem to butcher the cast at least.

(Seriously, what kind of game company hires writers who know nothing about their property and have zero personal attachment to it?)