Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

... The absolute MORONS

WHY

The existence of a 3DS line does literally nothing good for them other than possibly sell more hardware units than normal due to double dipping fans, if they're lucky. And they don't even sell enough in the first place to turn much of a profit. In pretty much every other aspect, this only hurts either system. The switch would have less games than it could otherwise, the 3ds successor would be lacking in appeal comparatively, consumers would either be confused as usual or would have to decide between the two, and again, the Switch gets less support than it would otherwise, making it harder for consumers to trust a constant output from it.

I'll admit I've been handwaving the "3DS will continue to grow alongside the switch" comments as pr talk, and thought it was fine considering how low-budget and effort the upcoming games look to be for it. I thought it was Nintendo tiding over the people who might've just bought a 3DS for Pokemon, and it really wouldn't last for more than a year, tops.

But if they plan on ruining all the potential they could have had with this system, all because Pokemon sold well or Nintendo does a Nintendo again... I think I might just burst a vessel at this point.

The only way I can ever see myself being fine with this, is if they release a system as small as an ipod for some short, low budget game releases, as a complement mobile device. Because anything other than a smaller Switch when possible... Is just so stupidly redundant...

• Thumbs Up 5

Speaking as a longtime portable system user who has no interest in a full home console... then yep, you're absolutely right, an independent 3DS successor would do nothing but undermine all the work they've done on the Switch.  The only possible thing they could add is a second screen, but even that you could integrate into some kind of pure-handheld Switch with extra functionality.  I have to imagine this was distorted PR, done to assure people that they're not throwing handheld users under a bus before they finally reveal that the Switch is also their handheld successor.  Anything more than a portable-only Switch (and even that would be quite unnecessary) would be a waste.

• Thumbs Up 1

What you guys would say would be true, if not for the fact that they aren't providing new shelf stock, and are doing limited releases of new themes every 2-3 months. at this point it's exiting public awareness, heck I haven't been able to get one from Costco since last May, and they haven't been common at walmart/target for a while either. They kept this same talk and dance with the GBA until the DS took off. Give it untill the holidays then expect it to disapear first party wise. However they are still invested in the idea of dedicated handheld, but it doesn't mean they'll do anything with it for a year or two

Aounuma is adding more fuel to the fire. This seems to be their stance, and they're not budging.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1340132

How about speeding up development processes? Does the Switch architecture mean you can unify your handheld and console software teams, enabling you to get games out more quickly?

There's an element of that, but it doesn't automatically mean things wil happen more quickly or more easily. Plus, Nintendo 3DS still has plenty of titles in development. The concept of the Switch is that you have a home console that you can take with you on the go, and in that respect it is both home console and handheld, but it doesn't mean for us that the concept of a dedicated handheld will just disappear.

I think Nintendo are just keeping their options open, considering that the Switch, despite being more expensive than a regular handheld would be, is already roughly in the power envelope threshold a 3DS successor would arguably be, and basically fills the niche a dedicated Nintendo handheld does aside from a second screen and price. I have a feeling Nintendo have a backup plan in case the Switch does Wii U numbers or worse.

Granted, considering how on-point Nintendo's marketing has been for this thing and the seemingly general positive reaction from non-enthusiasts (the fact that the system has a tight Super Bowl commercial helps as well), the I don't think that's going to happen, but you never know these days, but good marketing can go a long way.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yes a super bowl ad for a sold out system is sure to excite and help scalpers that much more lol. But seriously this is Nintendo dream cast. It either works or doesn't for them. 

Honestly, I'm not too surprised by Kimishima and Aonuma's comments about a 3DS successor being on the table. The Switch never struck me as something that would fit squarely in the dedicated handheld market like Nintendo's preceding handhelds do; and I think this also applies for their line of dedicated consoles. The device has a fair amount of compromises in both fields for it to realized as the "hybrid" format it exists as.

Kimishima is even on record for saying the Switch, when it was known as the NX, isn't a traditional successor to the 3DS or Wii U nearly a year ago:

The NX is neither the successor to the Wii U nor to the 3DS. It's a new way of playing games, which I think will have a larger impact than the Wii U, but I don't feel it's a pure replacement for the Wii U.

...though a fair amount of people blew off Kimishima's comments as "lol third pillar" talk. But it's worth noting that Iwata also shared similar remarks about the Switch prior to his passing:

If you only expand upon existing hardware, it's dull. In some shape or form, we're always thinking about how we want to surprise players as well as our desire to change each person's video gaming life.

My guess is that depending on how the Switch pans out, it could be a jumping point towards having "traditional" console and handhelds that can play the same games, as some of the early NX rumors were suggesting when Nintendo expressed interest in having a family of systems and pointing to iOS / Android as inspiration. (Which honestly I think they should had done in the first place, either in addition to, or instead of, the console/handheld hybrid approach they are attempting with the Switch.) Though I'm admittedly struggling to see a new "traditional" Nintendo handheld being able to play Switch games without making compromises in size format, game performance, battery life, and pricing; among other factors.

2 hours ago, Zippo said:

There's an element of that, but it doesn't automatically mean things wil happen more quickly or more easily. Plus, Nintendo 3DS still has plenty of titles in development. The concept of the Switch is that you have a home console that you can take with you on the go, and in that respect it is both home console and handheld, but it doesn't mean for us that the concept of a dedicated handheld will just disappear.

"That's a good idea, but we want to continue having a lackluster release schedule. Also, the Switch doesn't count as a handheld because it has an HDMI output. It's not just a tablet even though every detail of it, right down to the damn 3 year old processor that's from another tablet, says it is."

Look, I get that they're scared to fully commit to the Switch after the disaster that was the Wii U but they're just trying to shoot it dead before it hits the ground at this point. The Switch is honestly more of a handheld than it is a console so why try to hide what it is? They know they have trouble with releasing a steady line of games so why go out of their way to worsen that issue? I feel like this is the same mindset Nintendo has when they expect this to do as well as the Wii without their full support behind it. They completely forget the time period and circumstances that led up to it that just aren't present/ reality right now. They think that a two system layout is still doable when all signs from the past decade (and going off the list of known titles coming) says it isn't. I actually thought they were going somewhere again when they showed off how the Switch would be the best of both worlds packed into one.

And I know I'm coming off as super negativity right now. Like I hate the 3DS and want it gone when that's just not the case. I got mine in the first month they came out. One of my favorite Nintendo titles of all time is on the thing. Hell, the Game Boy is the first gaming item I ever owned. I absolutely love Nintendo's handhelds but I also want to see Nintendo succeed again. Seeing them try and keep this idea of an entirely separate handheld line alive when they're releasing, what should be, their next one is like watching them fall... again.

I seriously hope this is just, as many of you have put, some bad pr and that we'll hear the end of the "dedicated handheld" talk soon after the Switch is out. Otherwise, they're seriously their own worse enemy.

...though, it's not like that's news at this point.

• Thumbs Up 2

Middle of this month. They need to clear up VC before release, and probably a final release line up maybe a surprise or two

• Thumbs Up 1

Kimishima's actual comments on the subject have now been released:

Q: This is about your thoughts on having both the Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Switch co-existing together. When a player first uses the Nintendo Switch and recognizes it as a portable device, is there a point to releasing a next-generation handheld console?

A: I believe that for the time being, the Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Switch can co-exist together. Compared to the Nintendo 3DS, the Nintnedo Switch is different in shape, size, and price, and the variety and quantity of games that are currently playable now are different between the two. With those differences in mind, I believe that a Nintendo 3DS would work well for parents that are looking into getting their children their first games. Therefore, as a portable gaming device, I believe the Nintendo 3DS has a different demand and market than the Nintendo Switch, and as we’ve gone about with portable consoles until now, we will continue considering a successor.

A summary with further comment.

This looks a bit more like they're leaving the door open for saying in the future "the Switch is functioning well as a portable console, so we're going to treat it as a 3DS successor now."  I could maybe see them releasing a portable-only SKU in the future, though, since by cutting out a few bits and bobs they could sell it at a lower price.

• Thumbs Up 3

Maybe they'll simply release a kids' version that leaves out most of the bells and whistles (like HD rumble, motion control and the home console aspect, as you suggest FFWF). I'm not sure how viable that will be, but I suppose components will decrease in price pretty quickly.

Just snagged a Pro controller from Gamestop. So far, I've got:

-The system: Nintendo Switch + Gray Joycon
-A carrying case: RDS Industries, Inc Nintendo Switch Game Traveler Deluxe Travel Case
-A screen protector: Nintendo Switch Official Screen Protection Kit [PDP]

-Portable battery pack: Anker PowerCore 26800 Portable Charger

-Pro controller

-Zelda: BotW

Still need a 128GB Micro SDXC card ,which I plan on picking up towards the end of the month as release day gets closer, and a Joycon charging grip. I wanted a tempered glass screen protector, but I couldn't find any that I could secure for launch day. I'm actually not sure the one I currently have on preorder will be shipping then, either.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Cyalume said:

Just snagged a Pro controller from Gamestop. So far, I've got:

-The system: Nintendo Switch + Gray Joycon
-A carrying case: RDS Industries, Inc Nintendo Switch Game Traveler Deluxe Travel Case
-A screen protector: Nintendo Switch Official Screen Protection Kit [PDP]

-Portable battery pack: Anker PowerCore 26800 Portable Charger

-Pro controller

-Zelda: BotW

Still need a 128GB Micro SDXC card ,which I plan on picking up towards the end of the month as release day gets closer, and a Joycon charging grip. I wanted a tempered glass screen protector, but I couldn't find any that I could secure for launch day. I'm actually not sure the one I currently have on preorder will be shipping then, either.

I'd wait on the charge grip until you get a second pair of joycons. Those suckers have 20 hours of batterlife and charge on the console itself

Is anyone else dying for an Animal Crossing title on this thing? I didn't quite get into New Leaf, but somehow I feel Animal Crossing on the Switch would be great.

5 minutes ago, Cyalume said:

Is anyone else dying for an Animal Crossing title on this thing? I didn't quite get into New Leaf, but somehow I feel Animal Crossing on the Switch would be great.

Odds are extremely likely (I'd say almost guaranteed) we'll definitely get one. My bets are Holiday this year, but it could be 2018. Animal Crossing is a massive system seller; they've sold 31m in 5 games. Granted, the better selling titles are the handheld ones (DS = 12m, 3DS = 11m, rounded up). Which fits perfect for the Switch, after all.

Even City Folk wasn't too bad, selling 4.3m.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's definitely a series that I've felt the need to play both on the go and at home, so I feel it would benefit massively from what the Switch has to offer. City Folk, despite just being Wild World+ from what I could gather (and I loved Wild World) was a disappointment to me. That might be due to how badly I got burned on the $80 preorder I threw down for it and the ill-fated WiiSpeak accessory. The game got a steep price drop soon after, and WiiSpeak died almost immediately out of the gate.

Waiting to see if Nintendo actually puts any of its portable franchises on the Switch, though. There have been rumors, but no confirmations so far. And with Nintendo vaguely hinting that a 3DS successor might be a possibility, I'm hoping they won't keep those franchises from the Switch due to it being a "home console".

Animal Crossing might sell better on a handheld, but it definitely isn't a handheld only series. It's more than likely coming to Switch, but I'm guessing as a 2018 summer game.

Expansion of what New Leaf gave us is very much possible. I'd certainly like to see what could be done on Switch. I'm also hoping it isn't just a project that was once meant for Wii U given a touch-up. Though if it really is a summer 2018 game, that's still about two years working on it if transferral of the project took place first half of 2016.

1 hour ago, Cyalume said:

It's definitely a series that I've felt the need to play both on the go and at home, so I feel it would benefit massively from what the Switch has to offer. City Folk, despite just being Wild World+ from what I could gather (and I loved Wild World) was a disappointment to me. That might be due to how badly I got burned on the $80 preorder I threw down for it and the ill-fated WiiSpeak accessory. The game got a steep price drop soon after, and WiiSpeak died almost immediately out of the gate.

Waiting to see if Nintendo actually puts any of its portable franchises on the Switch, though. There have been rumors, but no confirmations so far. And with Nintendo vaguely hinting that a 3DS successor might be a possibility, I'm hoping they won't keep those franchises from the Switch due to it being a "home console".

Animal Crossing isn't a portable IP, it just sells better on portable. Its first release was on Gamecube, and it also had a Wii outing, though the Wii outing wasn't very popular. The only home console (since the start of the series) to not have its own dedicated Animal Crossing was the Wii U.

http://animalcrossing.wikia.com/wiki/Dōbutsu_no_Mori_(game)

Actually, it debuted in Japan as Animal Forest on the N64 (the GCN game is basically an updated port, though).

4 hours ago, JaidynReiman said:

Animal Crossing isn't a portable IP, it just sells better on portable. Its first release was on Gamecube, and it also had a Wii outing, though the Wii outing wasn't very popular. The only home console (since the start of the series) to not have its own dedicated Animal Crossing was the Wii U.

http://animalcrossing.wikia.com/wiki/Dōbutsu_no_Mori_(game)

Actually, it debuted in Japan as Animal Forest on the N64 (the GCN game is basically an updated port, though).

I'm aware. I tried to avoid any confusion with my post, but the way that I worded it unfortunately lended itself to that; Basically, I started to call it a portable franchise, but then remembered that the series had a strong start on the N64 and Gamecube as well.  What I was getting at, though, was having initially thought of that lead me to think about other series, such as Pokemon: in that case, we've only had rumors at this point. Its a bit too early to tell at the moment, I suppose. But I'd really like a definitive yes or no on the whole 3DS 2 thing or whatever.

Well, Pokemon games appear on home consoles all the time. The thing that hasn't happened is getting main Pokemon games on home consoles. That is where things may get more interesting.

If your hoping for this to be in Stock I got bad news for you rofl.  it won't be. The wii. Nes classic. Certain well wanted amibos. Yea going to be a rough launch if you didn't preorder

3 hours ago, Meta77 said:

If your hoping for this to be in Stock I got bad news for you rofl.  it won't be. The wii. Nes classic. Certain well wanted amibos. Yea going to be a rough launch if you didn't preorder

That's well known at this point unfortunately. Hopefully they aren't allowing the same shenanigans that took place with the Wii to take place here (people buying up 4-5 of them at a time at Walmart, etc). The situation does look better now than it did back then, from what I've gathered so far. Speaking of Walmart, I got my preorder in there about an hour after the Switch presentation, so I'm all set.