Awoo.

Shin Megami Tensei (and related games) discussion.

Crystal Kingfisher

• 1 month later...

Like it was already said in the status, Index registered Persona5.jp last week: http://whois.domaintools.com/persona5.jp

Domain Information:
[Domain Name] PERSONA5.JP

[Registrant] Index corporation.

[Name Server] dns1.onamae.com
[Name Server] dns2.onamae.com
[signing Key]

[Created on] 2013/06/25
[Expires on] 2014/06/30
[status] Active
[Last Updated] 2013/06/25 16:39:27 (JST)

Contact Information:
[Name] Whois Privacy Protection Service by onamae.com
proxy@whoisprotectservice.com
[Web Page]
[Postal code] 150-8512
[Postal Address] Shibuya-ku
26-1 Sakuragaoka-cho
Cerulean Tower 11F
[Phone] 03-0364-8727
[Fax]

ZJfiHSy.jpg

It's happening, guys, It's finally happening.

I'm interested as to how they'd approach the story for 5. If they wanted to continue the canon, it'd be hard to make a believable plot.

I'm interested as to how they'd approach the story for 5. If they wanted to continue the canon, it'd be hard to make a believable plot.

Shadow Operatives and Nyarly Malevolent Entity.

Also, Elizabeth's quest.

Or they could just make a story barely related to the other four like 1/2 and 3/4.

The only thing i hope for is the return of Vincent as another cameo appereance or more: i will die to see more connection between the Persona series and Catherine.

Just two more weeks and SMT4 is mine with all it's inconsistent character artwork... Kaneko, where are you?!?!?!

That promotion is rad. Hopefully I qualify, since I registered Awakening a long time back (when my bro bought it digitally).

Ok, so, I've heard of both Shin Megami Tensei (mainly through the recently announced Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem crossover) and also Persona. I even read up a little bit on Shin Megami Tensei.

...I NEVER KNEW PERSONA WAS A SPINOFF OF SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI. Even after I read up a bit on Shin Megami Tensei recently, I still didn't know that Persona was spun off from Shin Megami Tensei. Ugh...

Although despite having heard of Persona, I have no idea what it plays like. Still don't. I just find it strange that I've heard of Persona before but never connected it to Shin Megami Tensei when I finally did hear about Shin Megami Tensei.

Well, in any case, I still find the SMT X FE crossover a little strange. Based on what I've heard, the gameplay between the two franchises is completely different, with FE being a tactical RPG series and SMT being first-person RPG's. But, meh, I guess I'll figure it out soon enough.

Ok, so, I've heard of both Shin Megami Tensei (mainly through the recently announced Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem crossover) and also Persona. I even read up a little bit on Shin Megami Tensei.

...I NEVER KNEW PERSONA WAS A SPINOFF OF SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI. Even after I read up a bit on Shin Megami Tensei recently, I still didn't know that Persona was spun off from Shin Megami Tensei. Ugh...

Although despite having heard of Persona, I have no idea what it plays like. Still don't. I just find it strange that I've heard of Persona before but never connected it to Shin Megami Tensei when I finally did hear about Shin Megami Tensei.

Well, in any case, I still find the SMT X FE crossover a little strange. Based on what I've heard, the gameplay between the two franchises is completely different, with FE being a tactical RPG series and SMT being first-person RPG's. But, meh, I guess I'll figure it out soon enough.

Well, a shitload of Atlus franchises are spin offs from Shin Megami Tensei, Persona being the most famous.

Devil Summoner, Digital Devil Saga, Devil Survivor, Last Bible and Devil Kids are the other spin offs and by the looks of it, Atlus seems to really love the devil.

The gameplay changes from serie to serie. The main series SMT and Persona are turn based JRPGs, being Nocturne and Persona 3/4 in 3D, not first-person.

The Devil Summoners with Raidou are Real-Time Action based with RPG elements.

Then you have Devil Survivor that its a tactical rpg. 

The only real connection between most of the series are the demons.

Edited by Tmsp

Found a lot of reviews for SMTIV and since we don't have an official thread I figured they could just be posted here. Courtesy of Neogaf the TC Soriku.  http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=619371

USGamer 5/5

Certainly the SMT franchise hasn't been immune to RPG trends of the past decade. Heck, the past few Persona titles have embraced them while elevating those clichés to a higher level. But with SMT IV, I feel like Atlus' designers are pushing back, skewering the decline of a medium while reminding us how great it can be when done right. It's a masterpiece of a game that takes a bold stride forward for the series while fixing its gaze determinedly on the past to remind us not to settle for anything less than excellence. It's a bold position to take, but one that I very much appreciate.

Destructoid 9.5/10

Shin Megami Tensei IV may have been developed for two little screens, but it's a massive, uncompromising game that feels just as big as any console RPG release. It's as deep and gratifying as you'd expect from Atlus' original key franchise, and now it's fully portable (with a save anywhere function). In fact, the only real problem you're going to have with Shin Megami Tensei IV is keeping your 3DS battery charged up, because it's the best RPG for 3DS to date.

Venture Beat 95/100

I find that the difficulty in Shin Megami Tensei IV is its greatest feature. Like Demon’s Souls and Etrian Odyssey, you’re compelled to throw yourself back into the action, just to prove that, yes, you can defeat that demon without ever needing to restart or revive. What makes that difficulty tolerable is Atlus’s commitment to clever combat systems and easing the penalty for dying. Having the freedom to explore and try new (and sometimes risky) strategies in battle is such an addictive yet satisfying experience. I do not regret the possible hundreds of hours I am going to continue to lose to Shin Megami Tensei IV, and I hope it has the power to win over newcomers to the franchise. I like quirky, demon-summoning high schoolers as much as the next Persona fan, but you haven’t truly experienced a Megaten game until you’ve tried to wrap your mind around the infamous conversation system.

Just learn to save.

Pocket Gamer 9/10

Whether you're new to the Shin Megami Tensei series or a long-time fan, Shin Megami Tensei IV is a strong fourth act with an encapsulated, free-standing story that requires no previous experience with Shin Megami Tensei titles to enjoy.

Its difficulty and intricate fusion system are, paradoxically, the most enjoyable and frustrating elements of the game. But if you take your time to understand and master both, you'll walk away from Shin Megami Tensei IV hoping that Atlus doesn't take another decade to churn out the fifth act.

And even if its does, chances are you won't notice. Shin Megami Tensei IV delivers an exceptional and dark role-playing adventure that will keep you coming back for more.

Nintendo Life 9/10

Shin Megami Tensei IV has it all: an exciting story with multiple paths and memorable characters, the most captivating cast of monsters this side of Kanto, fun, engaging combat, and a whole heap of style. Any RPG fan up for a dark adventure will have a blast here; you don't need any background in the MegaTen series to enjoy it, and the well-balanced Easy mode means anyone can get in on the action. If you're looking for a 3DS game to sink your teeth, claws, and time into, this is as good as it gets.

Blistered Thumbs 9/10

Overall, I loved the hell out of Shin Megami Tensei IV. While the writing has problems (some of which I couldn’t discuss), and there are some gameplay issues, it does a lot of things right and gives you an epic amount of content to tackle. The side-quests are great, a lot of the themes are clever, the battle and fusion systems are better than ever, the look of the game is great, and–outside of the overworld–the game’s world is a delight to explore. This entry might still scare some new players away, but it is much more accessible than past iterations and is the perfect RPG to play through this summer.

Cubed3 9/10

In a year that started strong, with Fire Emblem and Etrian Odyssey IV, and hasn't let up since, with Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing, Monster Hunter and Soul Hackers, and many more, the 3DS has yet another jewel to set in its crown. Shin Megami Tensei IV isn't just another big name that Nintendo can boast about. It's one of the finest, most well produced, technically sound, feature rich and content packed RPGs released in years. True Shin Megami Tensei fans should pick it up without hesitation, and anyone who enjoys RPGs should strongly consider it as well.

Gaming Age A-

Despite not being overjoyed with the cast of the game, there’s little else to complain about with SMT IV. The gameplay mechanics borrow enough from previous entries to feel familiar, but at the same time there’s enough new about the mechanics to make them feel fresh. Allowances are made for the portable format that makes it something enjoyable even for short bursts of time. The presentation doesn’t suffer due to the smaller format or hardware, and the controls fit the system design without feeling off or shoehorned in. Shin Megami Tensei IV is definitely a title that I’d suggest checking out sooner than later, worth picking up not just for its possible rarity, but because it scratches that RPG itch that few games in the genre have managed to do this generation.

Game Informer 8.5/10

Despite its shortcomings, SMT IV is a handheld adventure that RPG fans are sure to embrace for hours on end. While it doesn’t go in too many new directions, it makes some bold story moves that kept me reflecting long after I stopped playing.

Nintendo World Report 8.5/10

Overall, Shin Megami Tensei IV is a massive, sprawling RPG that features one of the most fun and deep combat systems I’ve seen on the 3DS. While it’s not immune from the pacing issues that generally affect games of this scope and the map is in dire need of an overhaul, I never found myself wanting to quit playing. The interesting story and Pokémon-esque demon fusion/collecting should keep you chomping at the bit to see what the game has in store around the next corner, though you’ll just probably want to keep a guide handy (and you get one if you pre-order it!). It’s truly a deceitfully deep game that will keep you busy for 40 hours on even the most speedy of playthroughs.

IGN 8.5/10

Shin Megami Tensei IV succeeds on the merits of its outstanding demon fusion system and combat, even if its story and exploration are only fair. Apart from a basic map it’s handsomely produced, and the pace moves at a good enough clip to keep things interesting. It doesn’t quite transcend the bounds of its niche appeal as an RPG, but it’s easy enough to recommend to anyone looking for a good hardcore dungeon crawler on the Nintendo 3DS.

Joystiq 4/5

If you've ever wondered what all the Shin Megami Tensei fuss was about, Shin Megami Tensei 4 is a great entry point. It eases you into the gameplay without babying you, giving you the tools you need to succeed and enjoy your adventure while still providing a hefty challenge. It's not the prettiest thing you'll ever pop into your 3DS, and the story isn't the series' strongest, but SMT4 will demand your full attention every step of the way.

Games Radar 4/5

The majority of SMTIV is so helpfully modernized that it makes it all the more frustrating when the game occasionally regresses. Most annoying is the overworld. It’s a dim map with an obtuse layout and a pronounced lack of detail, hardly all that different than the SMT maps players settled for on the PSOne. It’s far too easy to get lost for 20 minutes before finally stumbling upon your destination. The dungeons and indoor sections fare better than the map of Tokyo, but are still a little too drab, even though it fits the doomsday setting. SMTIV embraces its aesthetic with creative art design, it just gets a little oppressive after a few dozen hours.

Ultimately, those limited failings will either be seen as quaint by longtime RPG addicts or tolerable by newcomers that will appreciate everything else Shin Megami Tensei IV gets right. It advances the genre in subtle ways, exhibiting once more that JRPGs are alive and well on handhelds. Numbered Shin Megami Tensei entries are few and far between. Thankfully, SMTIV makes the most of it.

Hardcore Gamer 4/5

Shin Megami Tensei IV manages to meet its hype in some respects and fall short of it in others. Its combat is stronger than ever, adding in components that are deep, unique and reward the strategically-inclined, while the character customization options will excite those who like to build their ideal fighter. Its lacking in production values, however, and seems to play its approach extremely safe with mechanics and aesthetics that are tried and true, but no less uninspired. Its story is also a bit of a mixed bag, adjoining new ideas with outplayed ones. When taking it all into consideration the ultimate question becomes: was it worth the nine year wait? Not quite, but that doesn’t mean it’s any less wonderful, because this is certainly one of the better JRPGs on the 3DS.

• 2 weeks later...

This game is making me poop my pants.

I'm still in the tutorial dungeon.

If you die twice, the game calls you a babby and gives you Fellow Difficulty Mode. Which...still isn't easy, but it's better than being one shotted without a chance to react if that keeps happening to you.

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph

As soon as I was successfully able to recruit a third/fourth party member, the game got significantly easier. I still died near the end of the dungeon.

Also, I'm too frugal to make the payment for dying. I'd rather shut off my 3DS every time. Save the money.

If you die a second time, you don't even have to pay. Charon's servants give you the easier difficulty and then send you on your way. Also, you're in for a really rude awakening with Minotaur and Medusa if you thought the pre party bit was hard.

Hmm, I am enjoying SMT IV quite a bit, but when it comes down to being a "true" Numbered game, I honestly feel like it takes a serious step backward with demon conversation, and a little with battle itself. The way they're trying to "streamline" it for more casual players is kind of a turn off to me, but it still incorporates the same'ol SMT level of hard that makes me wanna quit playing for a few days (but never do).

Though, the skill learning is unique, why couldn't it have been something more along the lines of DDS?

Man I swear this game is giving me more trouble then Nocturne ever did (post matador that is).

The minotaur was the only boss that really gave me trouble. I guess it's cause I still wasn't used to the whole demon aspect.

Thought there was this one other boss (who I won't name for spoilers), that kept using god damn Diarahan every time he turned red, and wiped out my demons and I for like an hour before I finally killed him. Fuck him so much.

For my first SMT, I'm finding it really fun and engaging. Everyone keeps saying the game is very hard, but I'm not really seeing it tbh. Probably since I'm so far into the game it moved away from "hard" to challenging. I never find myself dying unless against a hard boss or if I'm careless in a fight.

Love the whole demon aspect, much more then Persona. There's alot more to recruiting demons and fusing them, and the conversations with them is pretty fun.

Haven't done the challenges though, I prefer to go through the story first and then do the optional things on my second playthrough.

Speaking of story

I went with Walter to go with Lilith, and activated the Expanse. Needless to say, my face when I saw the Tokyo of that world sure as hell wasn't happy. Killed Pluto and once again activated the Expanse and now I'm in this apocalyptic world where Demons and Humans fight to be the strongest. I just met the (cowardly) Akira and now we're heading to take over Shinjiuki or however ya spell it.

I'm really interested in how this is all going to end. I remember the desert Tokyo and apocalyptic Tokyo being at the beginning of the game with Walter and Jonathon, and tbh they're both horrible. At first I was going with Walter since most of his actions seemed to make more sense then Jonathon's, but after seeing Lilth's "paradise", next chance I get I'm going with Jonathon. His world may be destroyed too, but it's a hell of alot better then Walter's "paradise".

No idea how far I am in the game though. I know I'm past the halfway point, and been putting in about 25 or so hours into it. So yeahhhhhhhh
Game's great.

Oh and

Black Frost is the best demon.

I was fighting Pluto and he wiped out my MC in one turn, few turns later killed the other two demons. Was about to kill BF too if it wasn't for Endure and his resistance to Fire. He just barely killed Pluto with 4HP left. After that long charade, Black Frost earned himself a permanent spot on the team.

The code of the Samurai knows no bounds brotherrrrrr

I can't play SMT4 yet because region locking is idiotic and i can't even get it off the estore even if i wanted to but megaten is one of those things where if you understand how the battle system actually works it's not that hard, but if you try and autopilot through it you get wrecked by bosses like Matador- hence "this game is fucking hard" type posts showing up

Well, actually. This game has some times where an enemy just fucks your shit up even if you know what you're doing. It's mostly side quest and random encounters, though. The actual bosses do seem to follow the typical pattern of SMT "difficulty".

(They also give you fuck all XP and Macca because they want you to buy their XP and Macca boosting DLCs. For shame.)

By the way, Nintendoga.

Every SMT game has a "neutral" path where things end up the least fucked, you just have to choose wisely when you want to see that path and ending. It's a bit tougher in this one, from what I heard. You need to make sure to not answer something that favors Walter or Johnathon's thinking too many times in a row. For example: You would have seen the fight against your bud who goes demon, and when he asks to be taken down you pick to do that. You get a tick into the "Chaos" part. Later on when the Abbot asks you to go to the underground, you pick the option about duty or whatever the hell and that ticks you back toward Law, which resets you to "0".

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph

Oh yeah I know about that stuff. I'm just saying

Since my alignment changes all the time, if I'm not neutral at the end or a part where I have to make a decision between Jonahton or Walter, then I'd rather pick Jonathon.

The hunter at the bars usually say I'm either "Chaotic" or "Neutral."