Awoo.

Shin Megami Tensei (and related games) discussion.

Crystal Kingfisher

It seems idiotic to be adding things like a female MC whilst gutting the Answer out of the game.

Unless... there's a new ending!?

I hope they change the ending. I was rather disappointed with it. :/

So how's Nyx Avatar coming along, remzy boi?

I'm probably going to take a shot at the whole last stretch tonight? Think i may do a fair bit of level grinding before then though, at level 72 there's still a couple persona i want to fuse, but can't yet, and a few other social links to tie up (even if i have little chance at maxing all of them) and mayhaps do a couple elizabeth quests, seeing as i virtually ignored them until now.

The last few tartarus bosses were some easy stuff. Nyx sounds like a pain in the ass though :s

I didn't have much trouble with Nyx Avatar, but I could have had better Personas and there were times when I was almost on the verge of dying.

Also as for your earlier post, the -dyne attacks are the ones you should go for. I can't remember what the strongest ones were called, but they were the "almighty" attacks - you should avoid the ones that use a shitload of SP. Don't bother with instant kill spells, and Nyx might have some phases in which you need physical attacks, I can't remember. :S

Hang on, I need to go to GameFAQs, brb.

Okay, here we go:

When I say to avoid using the strongest attacks in the entire game, I mean attacks such as Ragnarok. This consumes 30 SP respectively, and its power is 650. Compare this to Agidyne. Its power is only 320, but its SP is only 12.

See what I mean? Avoid attacks such as Ragnarok, Niflheim, etc. like the fucking plague. They drain SP.

Don't bother with multi-hit attacks, such as Maragidyne or Maralagidyne, obviously. You're only fighting one major enemy. You're going to need at least one -dyne of every elemental ability in the game, Nyx has twelve phases so you're going to need to exploit them with a wide range of attacks. Keep some strong physical attacks, too.

So basicaly, no instant kill spell, no "almighty" skills and none of the sweet unique ones, got it.

I got Dyne skills up the ass, so I should be able to fuse suitable personae pretty easily I think i even have a Loki with bufu/garu dyne already. Here's hoping all goes to plan- wish me luck SSMB!

Wake me when they port Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment. Or somehow find the source code to Soul Hackers and the original Devil Summoner so that they can do enhanced ports of those.

I'm much more interested in the stuff that didn't get released at the moment. Like SMT1/2, Megami Tensei Kyuuyaku or SMT:if.

I'm much more interested in the stuff that didn't get released at the moment. Like SMT1/2, Megami Tensei Kyuuyaku or SMT:if.

I just had someone submit a butt load of sprites from "Shin Megami Tensei If..." if that's the sort of thing you're interested in - they'll be in the next update.

I find the the games back then were harder to get into. I don't really know why, maybe just kind of slower?

I'd partly blame it on having to play it via emulator. It's... not quite the same somehow.

That, and the interface really isn't the best. I know it's classic SMT, but there's something kind-of undeveloped about it. I'm thinking the PS1 versions were probably a lot better in terms of playability partly because you're not getting eye-rending graphical problems, mostly because it feels a lot more fluid.

I'd partly blame it on having to play it via emulator. It's... not quite the same somehow.
Emulators have nothing to do with it, the games are, by modern standards archaic and un-cooperative. The pre-PS1 games are kind of a mess honestly, no where near as glorious as Nocturne

I've only played Persona 3 FES and P4. Persona 3 was pretty good but pales in comparison to 3. I thought The Awnser was pretty horrible in both story and gameplay what with getting rid of one of the major factors that made P3 so interesting. The characters were all pretty boring to in both S.links and main characters. Though I did like Mitsuru (her social link was terrible), Akihiko, and Shinji. P4 was just great in almost every way, I don't know how they'll top this if they ever make another.

As for the PSP game, I'm sorta tempted to get it just to play as the girl. New battle music and all that stuff, guy Elizabeth, the new opening is great, not to mention alot of scenario will be different. Like S.links (since you can probably have relationships with the male characters and since you have an S.link with Ken you can probably have one with your whole party), the trip to yakushima, the trip to kyoto, etc etc.

If this is true, then that would be really fucking retarded. D: And depressing.

*hugs his her copy of P3FES*

Think of it this way. A UMD is 1.8 GB, a DVD is 4.5. They have to cut corners somewhere, and I'd rather it not be where the actual action happens.

So, no Raidou 2 from Koei.

Fuck. Ghostlight or Square had better pick it up. I held off importing because I thought it'd get a release here.

Think of it this way. A UMD is 1.8 GB, a DVD is 4.5. They have to cut corners somewhere, and I'd rather it not be where the actual action happens.

To be fair they didn't have to release P3P at all. How about an original SMT game on PSP?

A remake of a great game is nice, but when the PSP is getting watered down remakes and the DS is getting all new SMT games, it's not completely fair.

To be fair they didn't have to release P3P at all. How about an original SMT game on PSP?

Better then nothing.

No such thing as fair in gaming. And besides, the path PSP is going they'll probably end up with Persona 5, anyway.

Better then nothing.

No such thing as fair in gaming. And besides, the path PSP is going they'll probably end up with Persona 5, anyway.

But that's coming to PS3, so there would be no way they could port a PS3 game to PSP.

I dunno. It wouldn't be much of an "advancement" if it turned out like P3P, with the PS2 version being most likely superior in most ways. I think a new spin off isn't out of the question though.

But before we go any further, I want to make it clear that spin offs aren't a bad thing!

No, no it isn't. That's just a rumor.

That's what I thought too. Everyone seems so certain that P5 has already been confirmed for PS3.

Personally I find it hard to believe that Atlus would put that much time into a new graphics engine for the series >>

more likely: Persona 5 on DS.

Hope not >> I'd rather the DS got spin-offs too.

I do think Atlus should make a next gen engine eventually, but I can't imagine they're too thrilled at the idea after using the same thing for so very very long.

• 1 year later...

Alright, since new SMT and a Persona game has more or less been confirmed for the 3DS... Five bucks says it's either P4 or P5...

I've been playing Devil Survivor and Strange Journey, though I haven't gotten very far in either, but... It's an interesting experience, to say the least. If only other "Mon" games showed your opponent's weaknesses right there, though in SJ you gotta scan your enemies enough to see the weaknesses.

Also, I need a PS2 and P4. I really need to play that game.

Isn't Devil Survivor great by the way? It's got like six endings too, I've been collecting them on my new game plus files.

Yeah, I know about the multiple endings shtick, but I hear the easiest one to do before going New Game+ in order to get the rest is bloody depressing. Then again, Shin Megami Tensei is well-known for depressing and half-empty endings.

Except for...

Persona 4, which actually is known for being a major exception, as the best ending is basically a happy ending for pretty much everyone involved. Except the bad guys, though even Izanami is surprisingly graceful in her defeat. Contrast P3, where the main character ends up sacrificing his own life to prevent the world's destruction, but now the P3 gang are stuck with trying to get him out of it without dooming the world.

Also, someone needs to rip the P4 mugshots.

As well, Strange Journey's regular battle theme is FUCKING EPIC. It sits besides Chrono Trigger's battle theme in a tie for the most awesome regular battle theme ever.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

I've never gotten around to beating Persona 4, come to think of it. It's a good game, but something about it really annoyed me. Maybe it's because I preferred Persona 3's more somber tone?...

Also Persona 3 had better music, natch.

• 1 year later...

Apologies for this massive bump, but I think this is justified.

Guess what's coming to the 3DS? FUCKING SOUL HACKERS!

soul_hackers_thumb.jpg

soul_hackers_01_thumb.jpg

soul_hackers_02_thumb.jpgsoul_hackers_03_thumb.jpg

Pleasepleasepleaseplease let the game get localized this time. I've been dying to play Soul hackers for ages now, but the fan translation doesn't seem like it's close to being finished anytime soon.

EDIT: Also, trailer for the upcoming PSP release of Persona 2: Eternal Punishment.

Edited by gunthər
  • Thumbs Up 1