Awoo.

The Fantastic Four (2015)

Klinsy

I don't remember the exact details, so correct me if I'm wrong / spreading misinformation, but I remember hearing that Marvel offered to let Fox keep Daredevil if they got the FF, but that deal didn't happen so Marvel ended up with Daredevil. From the sounds of it, it wasn't so much that Fox was happy to drop DD, they just didn't want to give up the Fantastic Four, so they traded away something else.

Which is...kind of weird, really. I mean, I love the FF, but they aren't exactly super popular in no small part due to all these movies mishandling them among the general public.

Actually, they were only after the rights for Silver Surfer and Galactus... which is funny that they considered them more valuable than Daredevil, on the other hand they are key to dozens of key iconic arcs from the comics

• Thumbs Up 1

Soooooo.... Doom's final form...

Hidden Content

When the Silver Surfer's CGI looks way better than something like this 8 years later, you dun fucked up HARD.

Sorry for the double post but, uh...

Angry Bob is my favorite Bob.

Edited by Balding Spider
  • Thumbs Up 1

Man, Bob sure knows what he wants to say and I can't help but take his word for it.  Sad thing is, Josh Trank is about to kiss his career as a respectable director goodbye.

I didn't have high hopes for this movie, not at all. I am surprised on how critically panned it is at the moment. Is it really THAT bad? Were the characters really that ruined? Especially Doom, holy crap. I hope Fox gives up the rights to the Fantastic Four soon, because they failed too many times and I don't want to see these beloved characters get ruined on the big screen AGAIN.

Now I want to see this movie out of curiousity, just to see how bad it really is.

Even Josh Trank, the director of this film, doesn't like it. Note that the aforementioned tweet was deleted by him soon after:

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2015/08/josh-trank-fantastic-four-tweet?utm_campaign=complexmag&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Seems like he's just backpedaling and jumping on the bandwagon. If it got good reviews, his tune would probably be different.

Edited by Diesel

Seems like he's just backpedaling and jumping on the bandwagon. If it got good reviews, his tune would probably be different.

Or maybe, just maybe, the director saw that he's made a bad piece of work and will admit to it, rather than trying to pretend it's one of the best things to hit cinema.

• Thumbs Up 1

Or maybe, just maybe, the director saw that he's made a bad piece of work and will admit to it, rather than trying to pretend it's one of the best things to hit cinema.

I'd expect Trank to acknowledge the film's lack of quality somewhere down the line, but I highly doubt he'll admit that it was mostly his own fault.

From what I can recall it sounds like the film was close to being an entirely different beast before Fox executives stuck their hands in and molded it to look more like the stuff released by Marvel Studios. Would probably explain the late reshoots and laughable CGI found in the final product.

His original vision would have probably ended up mediocre anyway, but it would have been an interesting take on the F4 nonetheless.

• Thumbs Up 1

The film now currently stands at 9%:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/fantastic_four_2015/

You know it's bad when your film is now rated worse than Pixels which stands at 18%.

It's a lot more than just that. With it standing at 9%, that makes it the worst-reviewed movie based on a Marvel property ever on RT (for those keeping the score back home: the previous holder of that title was Elektra, which sits at 10%).

And it goes even further than that. Someone on Neogaf compiled a list of all theatrical/superhero comic book movies on the site that received mixed/negative reviews.

X-men: The Last Stand - 58%
Daredevil - 44%
The Phantom - 43%
Wolverine Origins - 38%
Fantastic Four 2: Rise of the Silver Surfer - 37%
The Shadow - 35%
Meteor Man - 29%
Fantastic Four - 27%
The Punisher: Warzone - 27%
Ghost Rider - 26%
Green Lantern - 26%
Superman III - 26%
Blade Trinity - 25%
The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lava Girl - 20%
Spawn - 19%
Judge Dredd - 18%
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance - 17%
The Spirit - 14%
Blankman - 13%
Jonah Hex - 12%
Superman IV: The Quest for Peace - 12%
Steel - 12%
Batman & Robin - 11%
Elektra - 10%
Catwoman - 9%
Captain America (90s) - 9%

Fant4stic - 9%

...so if the movie permanently drops as much as one point (like how it was at 8% yesterday), it'll be on record as RT's worst-reviewed comic book/superhero movie ever (and considering the above three in bold are largely considered by reviewers and fans to be considered some of the worst films of all time, that's saying a lot).

• Thumbs Up 4

So, can we already start placing bets on when Fox will cancel the sequel and consider giving back to Marvel the rights to the F4 movies?

You'll have better luck and time spent holding bets on how hard headed Fox Studios can be and how many ways they'll pull out of their rear  ends to maintain their milking clutches on Fantastic Four  after this movie. 

Edited by Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

A lot of people have said, that one day the comic book movie bubble will burst. Any of you guys think that this movie is the one that will pop the bubble?

Edited by Johnny Boy
  • Thumbs Up 1

A lot of people have said, that one day the comic book movie bubble will burst. Any of you guys think that this movie is the one that will pop the bubble?

I highly, highly doubt it. One turd isn't going to kill the lasting appeal of comic book/superhero movies. And even if if it does "burst the bubble" so to speak, the drought won't last long. After Batman & Robin we got films like Blade, X-Men, and the original Spider-Man movie that handily put the superhero genre in a good light. We've still got the MCU going strong along with DC's movies being highly anticipated, so yeah.

• Thumbs Up 4

With this movie?  No, not by a long shot.  Most will just pass it off as just a Fantastic Four movie being a usual Fantastic Four movie: terrible.  However, I can't help but hope this bubble will burst.  These movies are over saturating the market and bleeding Hollywood dry of all originality.  Sure, a lot of these movies are good, but there are too many of them and for that reason they'll eventually, no matter what different dynamic it might have, feel the same.  It's kind of like the days when westerns and war films ruled the roost, a bubble that lasted decades, but even that one popped.  Hopefully, this one will pop as well by the 2020s, but my hopes still aren't raised too high.

Not this movie Johnny. As it stands for the main viewing audience a Fantastic Four movie sucking hard is just a fundamental fact of life. The bubble will burst at some point sure but it's not today. Probably when that Mahvel formula runs dry.

With this movie?  No, not by a long shot.  Most will just pass it off as just a Fantastic Four movie being a usual Fantastic Four movie: terrible.  However, I can't help but hope this bubble will burst.  These movies are over saturating the market and bleeding Hollywood dry of all originality.  Sure, a lot of these movies are good, but there are too many of them and for that reason they'll eventually, no matter what different dynamic it might have, feel the same.  It's kind of like the days when westerns and war films ruled the roost, a bubble that lasted decades, but even that one popped.  Hopefully, this one will pop as well by the 2020s, but my hopes still aren't raised too high.

For the record Hollywood being devoid of originality is hardly due to Comic book movies. If we didn't have them we'd just as many if not more of the sequels and reboots and remakes of old properties. But I do agree that there are a lot of them.

Edit: Somebody like it?

Edited by Balding Spider

Not this movie Johnny. As it stands for the main viewing audience a Fantastic Four movie sucking hard is just a fundamental fact of life. The bubble will burst at some point sure but it's not today. Probably when that Mahvel formula runs dry.

For the record Hollywood being devoid of originality is hardly due to Comic book movies. If we didn't have them we'd just as many if not more of the sequels and reboots and remakes of old properties. But I do agree that there are a lot of them.

Okay, it's not the all the comic book movies' fault for it, but there's still way too many of them because as big box office material, or some reboot, remake, or sequel to some iconic (and once) original property.  All I can say is, at least we're starting to get the yearly factual, sci-fi drama every Autumn that's genuinely unique (i.e. Gravity, Interstellar, The Martian).

No no, it has to be something with bigger impact. The eventual over-complication with the MCU or the public's disillusionment with it, a really bad Justice League movie, so on, so forth. Not a movie everyone was expecting to be bad and turned out to be. If the superhero genre busts in the near future, it will either be for a bad film that no one anticipated, or a growing lack of good ones.

And in other news, this movie is reportedly set to fail financially in addition to critics tearing it a new one. Damn, this is setting up to be one of the biggest disasters of the decade.

ehh food fight still exists this movie as far as I can tell isn't as bad as that was chances are i'll still give it a shot next week possibly if anything i'm surprised with the amount of hate for this movie so far I was expecting bad reviews from fans of the comics maybe and thoses wanting marvel to get the rights sold back to them "I'm personally in this department as well but i'm still willing to give this revision of the characters a shot before final judgement" but I didn't expect this much hate for it

at this rate it almost sounds like the deadpool trailer in theaters really was the only thing worth going to the movie to see

Foodfight isn't of this decade, though. Is it?

Anyways, give the rights back to Marvel and get Marvel doing a more sci-fi focused retro-style 60's show with the F4 and Hank Pym pls

• Thumbs Up 4

People would have had to have cared about it in the first place for that to happen. The only time the thing was even widely talked about was when the obvious stunt casting was announced, never mind talked about in a positive light.

Foodfight isn't of this decade, though. Is it?

Anyways, give the rights back to Marvel and get Marvel doing a more sci-fi focused retro-style 60's show with the F4 and Hank Pym pls

Considering they made this movie and rushed the fuck out of it just to keep the rights, I'm pretty sure they don't care about the colateral damage the movie will cause as long as the rights remain theirs.