Awoo.

The "What the HECK Is A 2016 Sonic" Prophecy Thread (two topics from the pre-server wipe in one!)

azoo

For info.

This newly discovered post comes after the guy who first leaked Runners and details for Boom. (By about a month).

Its validity is now therefore highly questionable.

IIRC the RoL playtester leak was posted in June. Can't find the exact date for it though (I think it was June 14th). June 19th was the exact date, thanks Shadzter.

Worth noting though that the Boom playtester only revealed Runners' existence and its name. This guy however not only reveals Runner's existence and its name, but also describes it as a mobile game, has the F2P model/microtransactions, and makes use of extensive platforming-all of which are true to the final game.

So it's fake then?

Disappointing. Some interesting ideas there... like SEGA shifting all work from a 2015 title to make sure a 2016 one was the best it could be.

...which in turn would make me ponder what the hell happened with Rise of Lyric. I know it wasn't Sonic Team but... mandating the release of one game and not the other? What the hell?

One's an anniversary, one was meant to be the flagship of some huge new marketing campaign. BOTH should be quality products.

As for the SEGA worlds idea... that's actually an interesting one. It seems outlandish but at the same time... if they were willing to throw together Modern and Classic Sonic, why not have a mega crossover with actual plot?

June 20th

Yes but we just have a working title on a whiteboard at the mo it's sonic runners and that's all I know

I think SEGA would be brilliant to do another big anniversary title again no matter how little time has passed since Generations.

That was the first game in ages the general public gave a shit about. As a fanbase we may gripe about nostalgia, but one can't deny it sure as Hell catches some eyeballs.

If nothing else it was nice to go up to regular people and hear something besides "I loved the classics/I loved Sonic Adventure 2."

• Thumbs Up 2

That idea of Sonic traveling through other Sega worlds has merit. Tho it doesn't sound like a traditional Sonic game, and one has to ask why have a celebration of everything Sega when its Sonic's anniversary not Sega as a whole, all seems so out of place.

Also what's with Digital Sonic 25, no retail release? That would be a terrible idea, especially since the collectors edition of Generations was so wickedly awesome. Besides Sega Sonic 25 sounds better, even if it's just a internal name that won't be used for final product.

That Colours/Generations remaster thing sounds like a terrible idea too. Unless they add extra levels or bosses from other Sonic games not covered in the original version of Generations, then I would sadly be sucked in and be all for it!!

I think a digital-only game would basically be an extension of the move towards mobile.

If nothing else, I'd hope they'd use it to offer games for cheaper prices. Not just for Steam sales, but the fact it eliminates the overhead from retailers, shipping, etc.

I don't know how good it would sell without a retail release though, given how many gamers continue to cherish hard copies. Never mind that unless parents are savvy gamers themselves, they're probably buying hard copies and not digital ones.

Also what's with Digital Sonic 25, no retail release? That would be a terrible idea, especially since the collectors edition of Generations was so wickedly awesome. Besides Sega Sonic 25 sounds better, even if it's just a internal name that won't be used for final product.

At any rate, this part sounds plausible. This came months before announced any restructuring and focus on digital titles, and of course internally SEGA and Sonic Team would have aware of plans well in advance of the official announcement. Even though I don't think Sonic games will go fully digital (at least not yet), this is a fairly important nugget of info.

If it's true (it's not) I want there to be a Puyo Pop Zone. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Man even rumors aren't interesting anymore. Nothing but cheap nostalgia.

Hmm....

I don't care as long as the gameplay is solid, but I'd like all new content with less of a shitty "save a kidnapped friend"-type story, but that's just me.

This whole "Sega Generations" concept sounds unlikely, but then I said the exact same shit about the return of "classic Sonic" literally days before Generations was announced, so what do I know.

Man even rumors aren't interesting anymore. Nothing but cheap nostalgia.

I can't tell you how much I don't want this to be yet another nostalgia game.

I mean, the idea of going through Sega worlds sounds great and all, but I am so sick of this. If it ends up true, my interest in this series is probably gonna distance even further off than it has the past couple of years.

• Thumbs Up 4

I can't tell you how much I don't want this to be yet another nostalgia game.

I mean, the idea of going through Sega worlds sounds great and all, but I am so sick of this. If it ends up true, my interest in this series is probably gonna distance even further off than it has the past couple of years.

• Thumbs Up 4

Given the disaster newer ideas like the parkour and Boom turned out to be...

I'm not surprised they went the other way and are going with the old.

Edited by Gabe
  • Thumbs Up 2

Nostalgia pandering is so safe, and it's so pointless by now.

If you need any sort of clue as to why I've kept saying for a while that Sega just doesn't have ambition or trust for Sonic to do good on his own anymore, take a look at recent games and tell me which of those games weren't meant to evoke some sort of nostalgia instead of living off of it's own merits.

If you didn't feel like looking into it, the answer is Sonic Colors, which is going on 5 years ago. And even that was only a 'pretty good' game that they slapped together in about 9-11 months to compensate for Generations not getting a Wii release.

So yeah. If we actually get this game that's being rumored, I'm gonna be pretty disappointed at worst, and mixed at best I think. And honestly? I'm tired of having mixed opinions on this series. Blegh.

• Thumbs Up 4

You'd know Sega had absolutely no fucking faith in the franchise supposedly keeping them alive now if they best they'd be able to do is just another fucking anniversary bullshit piece of pandering to people who don't give that much of a damn about Sonic anymore, and worse yet one that doesn't even use content from the series of its main star. They could literally do any other thing- a fucking Colors 2- and I'd be comparatively much happier than with this rumor's prospects.

You'd know Sega had absolutely no fucking faith in the franchise supposedly keeping them alive now

Wait, was a new Alien game announced?

Wait, was a new Alien game announced?

Both Alien games were considered financial disappointments, so yeah. Pretty sure that's been working out swell as well.

Ya know, I think I've gotten to the point where this is probably the best news I've heard from the series. This series has burned so many bridges with me, I'd rather they just play it safe and run on nostalgia than try(and fail) with yet another style of gameplay.

So yes, while I would prefer a game with new content and more to offer...I've seriously gotten to the point where I don't think there's anything more this series will offer me. So yea, bring on the nostalgia pandering, I can at least pretend like this series is doing something good.

• Thumbs Up 1