Awoo.

The "What the HECK Is A 2016 Sonic" Prophecy Thread (two topics from the pre-server wipe in one!)

azoo

You'd post a hoax on Runners because not everyone, as I don't believe is already being forgotten, was reacting to Boom with a "whoopee yay yay", so a "ok nonsense aside this is going to be the next Sonic Team game!" rumour would presumably gain traction amongst those wanting TRUE HONEST CONTENT

Why would you post a hoax on Runners when at the time nobody at the time knew it existed? 

Remember, this comes less than a month after someone mentions Runners as a title game only for the first time. Out of all the things you could pick, you would take one persons random unverified rumour in a sea of other unverified rumours and pick that one? 

That seems very unlikely because the whole point with rumours are to make them spread and go crazy. This would never do that.

The next problem is, are we under the assumption that these two people are different people? If they are, calculate the odds... guy who posts legitimate info name drops the next Sonic game... 1 month later second guy takes the name drop and spins a story about it and a bunch of stuff is very accurate.

So next point, both posts are from the same person... holy shit, it's legit right? Well maybe? Possibly? I don't know... why tell so many truths then lie?

• Thumbs Up 1

I have stepped away to other genres. Other game series, other individual games, all of that.

Sonic has still given me the best games I've ever played, and my near-stupidly relentless optimism for something better always grips me and makes me yearn for them to get their act together. Sure, it leads to frustration, but for some reason I feel like there's always hope for a big payoff, even if it's not gonna happen.

I'm tired of feeling that way but it's not going to go away. Everyone has that one franchise that's tied to their heart. Some have Zelda, some have Mario, some have Halo, Kirby, Final Fantasy, Mega Man, Warcraft, Metroid, Fallout, what have you.

I was the dumb kid to pick Sonic.

Sonic going through SEGA worlds sounds like hot garbage.  I'd play it to get my Sonic platforming fix but it would be such a fucking disappointment.

Like, I didn't grow up with SEGA particularly, so the nostalgia benefits would be of little worth to me.  I might forgive them if there's a PSO level which I'd hope is more likely to happen if Sonic Team is behind it (as oppose to Sumo who don't seem to be fussed about Phantasy Star representation) but that's about it.

But even then, I love Nintendo and am very familiar with their franchises, but I would be annoyed if they did a Mario game along these lines too.

But yeah, for now it sounds almost too outlandish to believe so... I guess I won't do so.

• Thumbs Up 3

Why would you post a hoax on Runners when at the time nobody at the time knew it existed? 

Remember, this comes less than a month after someone mentions Runners as a title game only for the first time. Out of all the things you could pick, you would take one persons random unverified rumour in a sea of other unverified rumours and pick that one? 

Because it was fairly believed in /v/ at the time, and all we knew of Runners going by this rumour was "new Sonic Team game, named Runners".

I'm not saying these rumours are false, just saying there might be a simpler alternative to your theory. "There's this basic rumour of a new Sonic Team game named Runners, now that's a tasty morcel for further rumour spreading as there's plenty of discontent about Boom".

Sonic going through SEGA worlds sounds like hot garbage.  I'd play it to get my Sonic platforming fix but it would be such a fucking disappointment.

Like, I didn't grow up with SEGA particularly, so the nostalgia benefits would be of little worth to me.  I might forgive them if there's a PSO level which I'd hope is more likely to happen if Sonic Team is behind it (as oppose to Sumo who don't seem to be fussed about Phantasy Star representation) but that's about it.

But even then, I love Nintendo and am very familiar with their franchises, but I would be annoyed if they did a Mario game along these lines too.

But yeah, for now it sounds almost too outlandish to believe so... I guess I won't do so.

See idk, I don't get this. 

Pretty much like 80% of Sonic games since Adventure have a modern city level so what difference does it make if that level is called Speedy Escape Highway Zone as opposed to Shibuya Cho?

• Thumbs Up 5

Are you kidding me? That sounds like a great game! A Mario game where, instead of going through the normal trope worlds, you go through worlds based in games like Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, and more? Sign me right the fuck up. Even more so if it were a 3D Mario game.

• Thumbs Up 3

On the subject of not knowing anything else about this hypothetical game, what does it matter? Ignoring the fact that Sega doesn't have a track record of gameplay enjoyable strictly on its own merits and thus we can't even fall back on precedent, it's nonetheless fair to react to rumors and news at face value. Impressions can change, and despite popular opinion, it's not wrong for people to do so.

If someone loves the idea of this rumor, then fine. If someone hates it, that's also fine. If it's true and we get more info that addresses' cynics fears and they come around, it's fine. Why do we have to do this "wait and see" song and dance every time?

I have to say this much - I agree with what Hogfather has said about the validity of the rumor nor the leaker to zone in on Runners, itself a mere rumour at the time, really makes the whole thing sound believable. I do have to wonder how much information these guys would have access to though. Is it normal?

So on to Sonic Digital 25 itself. The story sounds like ass and the idea of yet another anniversary, shallow Sonic game does my nut in. Its the absolute last thing we need. I want to say that the idea of Sonic visiting some SEGA world's sound great. It does sound potentially great for an odd stage in one game. Seeing Sonic in NiGHTS or Jet Set Radio worlds would just be fantastic. But ffs that's not the game we want or need. Not an entire game. Can we just get another full-fledged, original and big Sonic game again please?

• Thumbs Up 2

Seeing Sonic in NiGHTS or Jet Set Radio worlds would just be fantastic. But ffs that's not the game we want or need.

I'm thinking more... Doomsday Zone with planes for Afterburner following Sonic shooting missiles at incoming asteroids, as a giant missile flies past with Bayonetta dancing on it as everybody blasts towards the Death Egg...

That would make me happy.

In case it needed clarification, them pandering no nostalgia wouldn't be the end of my world, lol.

BUT I don't see the point in it when they could be making much better usage of their creativity.. kind of like another company they seem to want to take after so badly (*cough*Nintendo*cough*). That, and them constantly doing this has done nothing in favor or against the actual quality of the games, so why should they keep going back to the thought of it as if it does?

My complaints about nostalgia stuff and my complaints about simply settling for "average" or "pretty good" are separate arguments. What I was getting at before is that Generations was both nostalgia pandering as well as "pretty good" and people seem more than fine with accepting that as the standard from now on, which I don't. At all.

I just want a game with great game mechanics. Great level design. Doesn't cut corners and make cheap design decisions (like dash pad spam, for one thing). Lots of content, tells a good story, and keeps me invested without getting embarrassed at what I'm taking in.

A game's focus on nostalgia or original content will not change those factors making a good game or not, but (as long as it's good) I'll take original content over the former any day, as the former does nothing but remind us of days where things were better than what they are now.

That sort of thinking is what led to this in the first place.

Are you telling me even after everything that's happened, and what you know about the future, that you're still willing to give it a chance and believe it will pull through. And what happens if it doesn't? Will you still believe then?

It's either be hopeful and yearn for the good things or be depressed that nothing good is ever going to happen and just settle for lesser things. Either way, I'm stuck here, so which one would I rather be?

• Thumbs Up 1

On the subject of not knowing anything else about this hypothetical game, what does it matter? Ignoring the fact that Sega doesn't have a track record of gameplay enjoyable strictly on its own merits and thus we can't even fall back on precedent, it's nonetheless fair to react to rumors and news at face value. Impressions can change, and despite popular opinion, it's not wrong for people to do so.

If someone loves the idea of this rumor, then fine. If someone hates it, that's also fine. If it's true and we get more info that addresses' cynics fears and they come around, it's fine. Why do we have to do this "wait and see" song and dance every time?

The only recent main game where the gameplay itself wasn't completely enjoyable was Lost World???

I'm not saying it's unfair to react to it at face value, but it seems like people are acting like this is some unholy thing that is confirmation that the series is lacking in ambition and etc. and I just find it confusing. Sure it can have all of this nostalgia everywhere, but it doesn't mean the actual parts of the game, and everything in it, will be a rehash of something old. The most likely scenario is an evolution of Lost World's gameplay, and if it's something completely different again? Well, that's still a change that they can work off of.

I'm not telling anyone to calm down, or stop complaining, I'm just putting in my two cents, literally nothing else. And if it looked like I did anyway, my bad.

The thing is, I can't actually rely on Sega to use these worlds in any meaningful way. It wouldn't be some Brawl extravaganza where the other characters actually get in on the action because again, the only other time they've tried this they failed miserably to apply these concepts interestingly, and that was with one franchise. No way in hell they're up to the task of doing that with four or five. It would most likely be another generic-feeling platformer with some kinda speedy bits starring Sonic running through levels with texture ideas pulled from other games. At which point, I ask why don't we just pitch this to the guys modding Gens PC? It'd be the same thing.

I'm indifferent to the whole nostalgia pondering thing. I'm not a fan of it at all but I don't feel like Sonic Team did alot of this. Besides Sonic 4 and Classic Sonic in generations, Sonic Team always tries something new. The recent games might look nostalgia pandering but it's doesn't exactly play like one. I personally would prefer something new over old but as long as the product is good, I really don't care. Btw, if they're going back the classic in terms of looks I want to see something new out it. I'm sick of seeing not green hill zone. 

The Sega Sonic 25 rumor sounds pretty cool, I admit. Maybe it's because of the possibility of seeing the old abandoned franchises returning in some fashion. It does sounds fishy too, why would Sonic Team celebrate Sega as a whole on Sonic's 25th anniversary? The guy(s) that posted info on Runners sounds pretty legit but I'm still skeptical about the rest.  

It's either be hopeful and yearn for the good things or be depressed that nothing good is ever going to happen and just settle for lesser things. Either way, I'm stuck here, so which one would I rather be?

By why limit yourself to those options only, take a third one.

By why limit yourself to those options only, take a third one.

And leave for 'better horizons'?

You haven't completely, so why should I? I mean, going by your statements from before, you've settled for the second option I gave while moving on to other things. That's cool for you, and while I'm definitely into other games and stuff, it's not for me.

Maybe I care too much for the good these games brought, but whatever man.

I'm so beyond caring about aesthetics.

They could make a Vectorman level and I wouldn't want to play it if it was designed poorly.

The only recent main game where the gameplay itself wasn't completely enjoyable was Lost World???

I'm not saying it's unfair to react to it at face value, but it seems like people are acting like this is some unholy thing that is confirmation that the series is lacking in ambition and etc. and I just find it confusing. Sure it can have all of this nostalgia everywhere, but it doesn't mean the actual parts of the game, and everything in it, will be a rehash of something old. The most likely scenario is an evolution of Lost World's gameplay, and if it's something completely different again? Well, that's still a change that they can work off of.

I'm not telling anyone to calm down, or stop complaining, I'm just putting in my two cents, literally nothing else. And if it looked like I did anyway, my bad.

Speak for yourself. xP Plenty of people don't find the gameplay of Colors and Gens to be perfectly enjoyable, myself included, either because they don't like Boost gameplay present there and/or because Classic Sonic is marred. Hell if I did, I'd probably be happier than I am now. "I'm not getting a story or anything, but man at least this game is up there with Rayman Origins." I can't even say that much.

And again, the reason people are acting this way is because there is no precedent of Sega using nostalgia as anything other than a shallow marketing device, nor is this confirmation of a change of pace. If anything, it's almost the extreme conclusion of their current trajectory. It can be; again, if this actually turns out true and Sonic Team gets their ass in gear to make something more mechanically interesting and meaningful, then I will change my tune. But I don't see how anyone's annoyance with this is somehow unjustified.

• Thumbs Up 1

The thing is, I can't actually rely on Sega to use these worlds in any meaningful way. It wouldn't be some Brawl extravaganza where the other characters actually get in on the action because again, the only other time they've tried this they failed miserably to apply these concepts interestingly, and that was with one franchise. No way in hell they're up to the task of doing that with four or five. It would most likely be another generic-feeling platformer with some kinda speedy bits starring Sonic running through levels with texture ideas pulled from other games. At which point, I ask why don't we just pitch this to the guys modding Gens PC? It'd be the same thing.

What you described is a Sonic game with SEGA themed levels and concepts sprinkled throughout, and isn't that exactly what we should probably expect? I'm not saying it's going to be a massive undertaking, but I could see it being just as ambitious as Unleashed if they wanted it to be, and every anniversary game, including Generations, had a lot of care put into them, at least to me. Level specific gimmicks for each SEGA themed stage would be nothing they haven't tackled  before, and their attention to detail when it comes to visuals has always been prevalent, even in a less detailed game like Lost World, which was also on a much smaller scale.

Maybe I just have more faith in an anniversary title.

I'm so beyond caring about aesthetics.

They could make a Vectorman level and I wouldn't want to play it if it was designed poorly.

It's not even just aesthetics anymore though. It's literally the entire game not being a new property. 

• Thumbs Up 3

It's not even just aesthetics anymore though. It's literally the entire game not being a new property. 

I don't follow.

And leave for 'better horizons'?

You haven't, so why should I? I mean, going by your statements from before, you've settled for the second option I gave while moving on to other things. That's cool for you, and while I'm definitely into other games and stuff, it's not for me.

Maybe I care too much for the good these games brought, but whatever man.

I mean, I just can't imagine why anybody would intentionally stick with something that's making them miserable, is getting nothing out of it at all, and is still willing to stick around. It just doesn't seem right to me.

For me, its just unneeded aggravation when the solution is obvious; and its not even like I still don't have love in this series, but that shouldn't prevent me from calling a spade a spade.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't follow.

Basically, it's not creating new Sonic environments and stories. It's not building upon Sonic's world, and instead just plonks Sonic somewhere else for the sake of nostalgia and referencing. It could be fantastic. But it inevitably means that what we're seeing isn't new. It's very much the same issue that plagued Sonic 4. This is the sort of stuff you'd expect to see once in a blue moon in a game like Generations or in a crossover spin-off like ASR. To form the basis of a new Sonic game after so many years of almost non-existent new content is far too much.

• Thumbs Up 2

What you described is a Sonic game with SEGA themed levels and concepts sprinkled throughout, and isn't that exactly what we should probably expect? I'm not saying it's going to be a massive undertaking, but I could see it being just as ambitious as Unleashed if they wanted it to be, and every anniversary game, including Generations, had a lot of care put into them, at least to me. Level specific gimmicks for each SEGA themed stage would be nothing they haven't tackled  before, and their attention to detail when it comes to visuals has always been prevalent, even in a less detailed game like Lost World, which was also on a much smaller scale.

Maybe I just have more faith in an anniversary title.

It could be as ambitious as Unleashed. That is definitely a physical possibility. 

However, why in the world would I have faith that such a chance was a realistic possibility when Sonic Team basically dumped everything Unleashed stood for at this point minus the character models and not releasing a game in beta? Unleashed is an anomaly at this point, practically the last example of the shit I liked actually mattering. We've lost high graphical detail, we've lost a world that is engrossing through the use of consistent design and interactivity that makes sense through consistency, we've lost stories that actually asked a little for audience investment without having to constantly be tongue-in-cheek, we've lost gameplay and level ideas that provided a discernible adrenaline rush, we've lost the team's own excitement considering they don't give a damn to market directly to us with interesting material and media anymore. We've literally lost everything that was in Unleashed sans Sonic and "comedy." 

So what in the world do you see in the future that an Unleashed fan should be excited about?

• Thumbs Up 4