Awoo.

*SUPER* Mario Maker (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Fuck sake, scratch that.  Originally this post seemingly had news of new DLC, but was a fake twitter account.

Wasn't even a funny fake, c'mon. =\

Edited by JezMM

So will the DLC cost money or be free like Splatoon?

EDIT: Okay it's a fake tweet actually lmao

Edited by I'm Dan

Did I already post my stages in this thread? I don't remember, I looked back a few pages but didn't see anything, so..

Test: CB74-0000-0018-2070

Ness' Scuba Adventure (test): A171-0000-0018-4DB3

Platforming Panic :^) : C6C4-0000-001A-A737

Don't lose Yoshi!: 691D-0000-0037-2D59

Ahh! Get these guys off of me!: 36C0-0000-0022-CFA6

Edgy doot doot, 2spooky for kids: EE45-0000-0025-D0E0

Wily Castle 1: 2AA3-0000-002E-5015

I have 10 more stages I can upload now since I have 50 stars, too. c:

Made my first level today, going wait until I get more tools to make a serious level but until then enjoy my joke level:

445F-0000-0047-829E

I won't spoil the surprise here, but I hope it puts a smile on your face.

You like Sanics? You like going fast? Here's a level where Sanic goes fast! But you don't have to go fast if you don't want to.

You May Proceed Quickly!: 2D47-0000-0048-D2D9

I've been thinking and with SFZero out of the picture this is now going to be a big pillar-stone of Nintendo's winter line-up. Making me think that it's likely we'll be getting a DLC expansion to it around November-December, with most of the major games getting good expansions, and with the game having been Gold(complete) for about a month and minimal patching it would be about 3-4 months of additional development time, and enough for a couple forms of expansion. So thought I'd give my thoughts on possibility's ranging from a couple of standalone additions to actual game modes. We'd all agree that we got the main 4 necessary ones, but there are more possibilities

Standalone additions:

• Koopalings: additional boss group, each has different gameplay styles, though may be a bit tricky to add due to their more complex movements, this includes Boom-Boom and Pom-Pom or whatever their names are; Also they have multiple appearances, and have appeared in 3 of the 4 artstyles, so they are stadalone
  • Slopes: those these seem as likely for an update
  • Playable Character pack: Now this one could be included as part of a SMB2USA pack, since that's where this originates really, obviously I'm referring to Luigi, Peach, and Toad. Each one would allow far more diverse options and challenges in the various gamemodes(I mean in all 4 art styles), and additional playstyles. Rosalina would be another option due to Super Mario 3D World adding her to the playable roster, but not sure since we've never had her in 2D.

Artstyles: I got 4 styles I think would work, and each has valuable stuff they could add, but only one is a super obvious canidate

• Super Mario Bros 2 USA(While not really being a thing in Japan, it introduced a bunch of cool stuff to the series, and is a unique arstyle): Like I said, this could include the addition of more playable characters in all artstyles, go to my earlier post in reference to that. It could also add in the Key alternate exit/area gameplay element, ShyGuys, the floating masks, Birdos, Turnips, waterfalls(I don't think they are in the base game), and the Wart boss of course. Honestly I think it's a great candidate and has a good chance
  • Super Mario Land 1/2(I technically count this as 2, but it's kinda 1): It's Black and White style, unique powerup styles, bonus bells unlocking minigames, tons of unique enemies and bosses, and shorter gameplay style has tons of stuff that would be great to see in other arstyles as well as the best Boss ever that it could bring to the other game mode, that being Wario!
  • Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong '94, Mario Vs Donkey Kong: Similar artstyles, and a unified gameplay style means I group these together, While extremely different than any other Mario gameplay type in goals, items and objects it still uses the base physics of all mario games, and while it would have a bunch of unique unsharable objects, it also brings items that could be shared, and still uses the same engine, and does have items that can be shared such as Donkey Kong, Jr, oil cans, poboos, and also the key-door mechanic.

Just my thoughts on possibilities, anyone else have other thoughts they want to share or discuss these?

I'd love to see SMB2, SML and SML2 styles but honestly, SMB2 would be entirely incompatible with the other styles.  SML and SML2 would be possible but they'd prolly have HEAVY changes when switching between styles.  Like how the Yoshi Egg turns into the entirely different boot when switching back to SMB1/3, but on almost every enemy/power-up, especially for Mario Land 2.

I think my highest priority right now for feasible, easy to create updates that I can't believe weren't included in the base game as shoe-ins:

For Course Creation:

• Slopes
  • Vertical Courses
  • A tool that lets you check how much of the block/item/enemy limits you have used so far on a map
  • Checkpoints (even if it means playtesting your course 1.5 times)
  • Star Coins (even if it means you have to playtest these too)
  • Music selector, with an array of choices from both the included games and other Mario/Nintendo titles.  More dynamic music options (i.e. more than a single bonus theme or boss theme per style) with the choice to make a song change permanent or just in the nearby area (as it currently is).

Unfortunately more music choices feels a little unfeasible now due to not being in from the start, since all bonus music would have to be downloaded to your Wii U rather than included on the disc (which I'm sure there must be plenty of room for).

And for Course World:

• Search for courses via name
  • Tag your course with 2 or 3 pre-set tags, such as: #funny, #puzzle, #remake, #difficult, #easy, #autoplay and so on, and make these tags browsable.
  • Discover Makers through your Friends List
  • View your course previews at a zoomed in level to see where deaths have occured more clearly, and let you view the sub level preview for death feedback too.
  • Intergrate Miiverse comments into the Course World UI.  It's silly that they display in-game during courses and at the end of courses, yet you have to wait for Miiverse to load up to read them in their natural state after recieving them.  Comments created at the end of a course can have a goal post flag on, while other comments can include a "view screenshot on Miiverse" link to load up Miiverse to view where they made the comment if necessary.
Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Gameboy Mario games definitely strike me as the better fit for a new art style; SMB2USA - let's just call it Doki Doki Panic - is mechanically and aesthetically just so different, whereas at least there's common ground in Super Mario Land.  It helps that I'm a big fan of the reimagining of outside elements to fit the style, which I think they would have to do a lot of for Super Mario Land.  They might be able to take elements out of DDP, though - Shy Guys and Phantos and keys and so on strike me as very workable.  ...Yoshi's Island?  Not as radical as Doki Doki Panic, but still a different game.

More bosses would be shoo-ins and yet... I think the kind of DLC they'd probably want to do for Super Mario Maker would be something with a more coherent unifying idea rather than lots of much smaller ideas.  I don't think they could get away with selling an update that was just slopes + Koopalings + the Famitsu mascot unless it were free.  New designs or playstyles would be a different matter - or maybe new areas for each design?  Deserts, for instance.

The Gameboy Mario games definitely strike me as the better fit for a new art style; SMB2USA - let's just call it Doki Doki Panic - is mechanically and aesthetically just so different, whereas at least there's common ground in Super Mario Land.  It helps that I'm a big fan of the reimagining of outside elements to fit the style, which I think they would have to do a lot of for Super Mario Land.  They might be able to take elements out of DDP, though - Shy Guys and Phantos and keys and so on strike me as very workable.  ...Yoshi's Island?  Not as radical as Doki Doki Panic, but still a different game.

More bosses would be shoo-ins and yet... I think the kind of DLC they'd probably want to do for Super Mario Maker would be something with a more coherent unifying idea rather than lots of much smaller ideas.  I don't think they could get away with selling an update that was just slopes + Koopalings + the Famitsu mascot unless it were free.  New designs or playstyles would be a different matter - or maybe new areas for each design?  Deserts, for instance.

To be fair, though, they don't necessarily have to make a new art style that uses the original physics. They can just alter the physics slightly and reuse the assets.

Agreed on the Gameboy games, but I don't see a problem with Doki Doki Panic, either. The physics don't need to be altered to fit it, I mean, none of the existing games have "perfect" physics either.

I'd love to see SMB2, SML and SML2 styles but honestly, SMB2 would be entirely incompatible with the other styles.  SML and SML2 would be possible but they'd prolly have HEAVY changes when switching between styles.  Like how the Yoshi Egg turns into the entirely different boot when switching back to SMB1/3, but on almost every enemy/power-up, especially for Mario Land 2.

I think my highest priority right now for feasible, easy to create updates that I can't believe weren't included in the base game as shoe-ins:

For Course Creation:

• Slopes
  • Vertical Courses
  • A tool that lets you check how much of the block/item/enemy limits you have used so far on a map
  • Checkpoints (even if it means playtesting your course 1.5 times)
  • Star Coins (even if it means you have to playtest these too)
  • Music selector, with an array of choices from both the included games and other Mario/Nintendo titles.  More dynamic music options (i.e. more than a single bonus theme or boss theme per style) with the choice to make a song change permanent or just in the nearby area (as it currently is).

Unfortunately more music choices feels a little unfeasible now due to not being in from the start, since all bonus music would have to be downloaded to your Wii U rather than included on the disc (which I'm sure there must be plenty of room for).

And for Course World:

• Search for courses via name
  • Tag your course with 2 or 3 pre-set tags, such as: #funny, #puzzle, #remake, #difficult, #easy, #autoplay and so on, and make these tags browsable.
  • Discover Makers through your Friends List
  • View your course previews at a zoomed in level to see where deaths have occured more clearly, and let you view the sub level preview for death feedback too.
  • Intergrate Miiverse comments into the Course World UI.  It's silly that they display in-game during courses and at the end of courses, yet you have to wait for Miiverse to load up to read them in their natural state after recieving them.  Comments created at the end of a course can have a goal post flag on, while other comments can include a "view screenshot on Miiverse" link to load up Miiverse to view where they made the comment if necessary.

Vertical courses would be nice, I'm not sure how they'd handle it, though. Would it just be identical in max size to a normal course, but vertical instead of horizontal?

Checkpoints and the ability to move the start/end would be nice. It'd be great to be able to start at the right side of the stage as an option and go left, and move the end to a sub-stage, as well as build more beyond the end of a stage.

Definitely need a search by name and tag options, too.

• Thumbs Up 1

New levels, all with the theme of 1-1 in mind.

5647-0000-004B-E0EE

Special; A trununcated version of the first level from SMB Special on the NEC PC88 and Sharp X1.  The Hudson Bee is replaced by a 1-Up Shroom and my voice shouting "Hudson Bee!"

6925-0000-004B-BD7C

Lost; The first level of Japan's SMB2 with no alterations save for replacing the poison shrooms with Spinies

365D-0000-0043-D01B

The Classic, with a nod to the YouTuber "The Lonely Goomba".

Okay, I've organized my stages, this is what I currently have:

• Bowser Jr.'s Air Fleet: CE6E-0000-004B-1D26
  • Plumber's Panic: 7E08-0000-004A-B157
  • Ghost Coaster: 3C51-0000-003F-5495
  • Ghost House 1: 309D-0000-002F-3BA6
  • Castle 1: DFE7-0000-0029-82BB
  • 30-Second Challenge: 8646-0000-0027-89A0
  • Piranha Madness!: C3BC-0000-0025-094F

Also, Super Mario Land 1+2 would need to be seperate art styles, because with 2 at least, each normal theme is instead a unique theme from the game, and each normal enemy is replaced with their respective themed version. Only major thing is the unique bosses, but even then they are more straightforward than most

• Vertical Courses

You can cheat this a little by using doors and warp pipes and laying out sections of a tower level horizontally. I was actually saving this idea for a rainy day myself. I think most of the obvious ideas otherwise have already been brought up, but one thing that comes to mind is custom level ends - specifically, it really sucks how much setup you have to do to make a level end in a boss fight when you can just jump straight over or under Bowser most of the time, so I feel like there ought to be something you can tag an object with to finish the level once triggered, kinda like sound effects. Hell, more boss enemies in of itself would be neat, too.

• Thumbs Up 3

You can cheat this a little by using doors and warp pipes and laying out sections of a tower level horizontally. I was actually saving this idea for a rainy day myself. I think most of the obvious ideas otherwise have already been brought up, but one thing that comes to mind is custom level ends - specifically, it really sucks how much setup you have to do to make a level end in a boss fight when you can just jump straight over or under Bowser most of the time, so I feel like there ought to be something you can tag an object with to finish the level once triggered, kinda like sound effects. Hell, more boss enemies in of itself would be neat, too.

Yeah, been witness to and used myself various techniques to make "vertical" areas, but they're still a workaround for an issue that just shouldn't be present.

Yeah. It would be neat to have the Koopalings at least. Have 3 sets of Koopalings with 1 battle style each, similar to Super Mario World. It'd also be nice to be able to set a boss to throw different items.

I can't say I'm too interested in seeing more bosses. At least not ones where the mechanics are pretty rigid, like the SMW Koopalings. They'd just end up as something every newbie plonks down at the end of the stage, so you'll fight the same battle a hundred times.

Anyway, new level by me: Can You Survive The Heckavator?: 4F77-0000-0050-9C74

Also some cool levels not by me that I found (first two aren't proper names since they're from Japanese players):

A level about p-switch puzzles: DEEB-0000-0046-16A6

A friendly goomba: C94A-0000-001D-CAF2

The floor is bombs. What!: 2F97-0000-004F-27FF

Phew, been working on this on and off for about a week now:

tumblr_nuzjg2G6DJ1qhi4j7o1_1280.jpgtumblr_nuzjg2G6DJ1qhi4j7o2_1280.png

"SMB2 (USA) 4-2 …and also…"  - 658C-0000-0057-E6F4

I was originally planning to try and recreate the whole of SMB2 but for now I think I’ll just concentrate on just my favourites.

This is World 4-2, a.k.a. the snow course with all those whales. Tried to be as faithful as possible but naturally there are a fair few tweaks to make it work with Mario Maker’s limitations.

I mean for example, obviously I can’t include the Warp to World 6-1… right…?

• Thumbs Up 3

WVW69iZ9mr0L-Z5pEp

So I took the time to make a more climactic kind of level with a lot of dodging explosions and shit. I'm a little less happy with how the ending turned out, but I had to make do with the fact that I couldn't technically end the level with an actual boss fight. ID's 60E8-0000-0056-1B2A.

Also I updated my first two levels (AADF-0000-0045-4503 and 1534-0000-0045-57C8) so that you're not forced to lose a life if you fuck up just a single time. And added sound effects now that I have them, because why not.

Phew... finally caught up on all the stages everyone has posted for Mario Maker here. Now I can finally get back to building!

You guys have made some really great stages overall. Really unique, creative, and tight so far. Can't wait for more! ...wait actually nO I CAN-*is drowned in a sea of MM codes*

---------

Also, bringing up the subject of making your levels easier because you see people more often than not skip your level, I'd say, don't do it. Unless it's a very trial-and-error-ish or poorly designed around your dificulty curve, making stages mindnumbingly easy won't even help. Going by the usual death points and how often it's done, I'd say that the fairness of the level itself isn't what drives them away, but simply the fact that they're swipe-spammers: die two or three times in a stage, then swipe over to the next one, hoping for an automatic level at best.

I've seen people quit at the first pit in SMB 1-1 as well; chances are, if these people were faced with even more official level designs, they wouldn't get past the first enemies. All they care about is getting to the end of the 100 Mario challenge as quickly and as easily as possible.

These people are not a good indicator of whether or not your stage is too hard, or worth playing. Don't sacrifice good ideas and decent challenges just to pander to these guys if you aren't looking to make a 100 Mario-only level.

Also, I've been seeing quite a few people placing 1-up mushrooms at the start of really hard levels. Why? The 1-ups don't actually 1-up the player until the end of the stage, which, in 100 Mario, would take forever and wouldn't be worth it once they end up with one life after spending 50+ on that stage alone

• Thumbs Up 1

Fellow Wario fans, I've recreated Syrup Castle (Course 40) from the original Wario Land to the best of my ability (sans the Captain Syrup boss for obvious reasons). Enjoy!

Syrup Castle

PkN7hfI.jpg

B9A1-0000-0058-5F1A

Edited by Dr. Mechano
  • Thumbs Up 1

While we're on the subject of codes, I stopped typing those in ages ago because it's easier just to type one in per user and hit the Follow button on their profile page in MM. Like, goddamn, I thought friend codes were bad - this is just taking the fucking piss. Could they at least have added an option to search by level name?

• Thumbs Up 1

If it doesn't already exist in the game, when you're playing Levels from others, I want an option to hids the map preview so there's more surprise when you start the level. Although, if you want it, you should be able to put it back on.