Awoo.

Gosh, Water 7 is super intense. I was gonna come here and whine about how cruddy Ocean's Dream was, but then suddenly I was too busy watching the show to even have time to complain about it.

All this talk about shipbuilding reminds me of some One Piece ship models I saw in a hobby shop a couple of months ago. I kinda want one now.

• Thumbs Up 3

Seeing as this is a european forum, if there are any French members here who really like One Piece (it's surprisingly big over there), you're in luck.

Amazon France has recently added the first two One Piece compilation specials, “Episode of Luffy” and “Episode of Nami”, on their official website. The respective specials are slated for a Sept. 3 release on DVD and Blu-Ray.

“One Piece: Episode of Nami” made its Japanese debut on August 25, 2012 and is an re-enactment of the Arlong Park arc. The “Episode of Luffy,” special premiered on December 15, 2012 in Japan.

Thanks to WTK for the news tip.

BrRPihpCIAANhk4.jpg

BrRPhfZCYAESiG8.jpg

Cris Niosi of TOME fame, made this entertaining video about One Piece voice acting.

Why do the French get everything holy shit. Don't they get Blu-ray releases of all the movies to? The US got jack shit regarding those.

Why do the French get everything holy shit. Don't they get Blu-ray releases of all the movies to? The US got jack shit regarding those.

Because they've had a consistent dub from the early 2000s on, and are far ahead of us series-wise. 

VILdr94.jpg

From the cover page: 

Not sure if this is news or not, but they're going to do a special anime episode in end of August featuring the 2 year training period of Luffy.

The episode name is 3D2Y and airs August 30th.
Completely new material, not re-runs or montage.

This is what Toei should have made a filler arc out of! 

Also from another well informed forum poster:

The special is airing on Saturday night in the same slot Episode of Nami, Episode of Luffy, and Episode of Merry did. Without commercials it will probably last over one hundred minutes.

Heyyy, that's pretty awesome! So is it just Luffy that will be featured in this special?

I wanted to see what Usopp, Sanji, Robin, and Zoro were doing during that 2 year period.

I agree though that there should've been filler arcs during those 2 years so that the manga would have a lot of time to distance itself from the anime.

Heyyy, that's pretty awesome! So is it just Luffy that will be featured in this special?

I wanted to see what Usopp, Sanji, Robin, and Zoro were doing during that 2 year period.

I agree though that there should've been filler arcs during those 2 years so that the manga would have a lot of time to distance itself from the anime.

There aren't any other details at the moment, but from what my sources on Arlong Park say, it's mostly going to focus on Luffy's time with Rayleigh. It would make a good filler arc to at least focus on the rest of the team, but Toei. 

These are paper ads for upcoming releases. This ad reveals the name of the episode after next week. 

One Piece Episode 653 (Airdate: Sunday, July 13, 2014): 「決戦! ジョーラVS麦わら一味!」
The Decisive Battle! Giolla VS Straw Hat Crew!

xzNM1mQ.jpg

Here is an ad for the upcoming blu-ray release. It covers episodes 633 and 636. The DVD release will be 4500 yen ($44.20) and the Blu-ray will be 5500 ($54.02). Ah, Japan and your expensive shit. Maybe more people would buy your DVDs if you actually made them cheaper.

dotEXx7.jpg

Attention One Piece fans in the UK: You have a chance to get One Piece film Strong World on DVD/Blu-ray Combo pack. Currently, the One Piece Podcast is holding a contest for MangaUK, here are the details.

We have a content for all the One Piece fans in the United Kingdom! Send us a Strong World haiku and you can win a One Piece: Strong World Blu-ray/DVD combo pack from the good folks at MangaUK! Send them @OnePiecePodcast or on our e-mail atOnePiecePodcast@gmail.com! Make sure to include the hashtag #MangaUKContest or subject header “Manga UK Contest.”

So I'm almost caught up.. I know it was suggested to wait a bit longer between episodes but it's just so damn good I can't help but watch more!

The Dressrosa arc is giving me 

serious Layton vibes, especially with the whole night/day mystery and the toys and stuff, and that's a great thing. Oh, also, did I mention that One Piece seems to be doing a great job at being pretty consistently fucked up lately? The trafficking subplot introduced around the timeskip, then the drug and child trafficking plots from Punk Hazard, as well as many other fucked up things that arc dealt with, and now the toy thing is giving me pretty messed up vibes. I know One Piece always makes a point of highlighting just how evil many factors of its world is and has done since it started, but it feels like the themes have progressively gotten more and more serious and mortal.

..Even if the series practically never kills anyone, haha.

Holy crap though, the fight between Luffy and Chinjao has been amazing so far, I'm really loving this Colosseum stuff. Great to see Robin and Usopp finally getting more importance again too.

• Thumbs Up 1

It sounds like it was a good idea for me to wait 'til now to try to power through the show. It'd have been kind of a bummer if I got all the way through it a couple of years ago like I was planning to, only to catch up in the middle of an arc everybody hated.

(he says, as if he doesn't have at least a full year of show left ahead of him probably)

• Thumbs Up 2

So I'm almost caught up.. I know it was suggested to wait a bit longer between episodes but it's just so damn good I can't help but watch more!

The Dressrosa arc is giving me 

serious Layton vibes, especially with the whole night/day mystery and the toys and stuff, and that's a great thing. Oh, also, did I mention that One Piece seems to be doing a great job at being pretty consistently fucked up lately? The trafficking subplot introduced around the timeskip, then the drug and child trafficking plots from Punk Hazard, as well as many other fucked up things that arc dealt with, and now the toy thing is giving me pretty messed up vibes. I know One Piece always makes a point of highlighting just how evil many factors of its world is and has done since it started, but it feels like the themes have progressively gotten more and more serious and mortal.

..Even if the series practically never kills anyone, haha.

Holy crap though, the fight between Luffy and Chinjao has been amazing so far, I'm really loving this Colosseum stuff. Great to see Robin and Usopp finally getting more importance again too.

I'm glad you're enjoying yourself. Dressrosa has easily been one of the best arcs as of late. Just understand you are now going to be watching week by week, so it'll get slower for you. However, as long as you don't spoil yourself through the manga then this arc will easily remain enjoyable. The different perspectives really allows for a lot of better pacing than the anime usually gets, and this arc will be filled with so many twists and turns that you will still be interested in what's going on as time goes. 

It sounds like it was a good idea for me to wait 'til now to try to power through the show. It'd have been kind of a bummer if I got all the way through it a couple of years ago like I was planning to, only to catch up in the middle of an arc everybody hated.

(he says, as if he doesn't have at least a full year of show left ahead of him probably)

Don't worry. We'll still probably be in Dressrosa within the span of a year, so you don't have to worry about that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hooray! It's good to get more people caught up to current events. It feels less like I'm talking to thin air when I do my reviews now. 

What's your thoughts of Dressrosa thus far GOAT?

Japan Animation TV rankings for the week of June 16-22.

Sazae-san Fuji TV June 22 (Sun) 18:30 30 min. 16.8  

Chibi Maruko-chan Fuji TV June 22 (Sun) 18:00 30 min. 10.1  

One Piece Fuji TV June 22 (Sun) 09:30 30 min. 9.2  

Detective Conan NTV June 21 (Sat) 18:00 30 min. 9.0  

Crayon Shin-chan TV Asahi June 20 (Fri) 19:30 24 min. 8.8  

Doraemon TV Asahi June 20 (Fri) 19:00 30 min. 8.4  

Dragon Ball Z Kai Fuji TV June 22 (Sun) 09:00 30 min. 7.0  

Yōkai Watch TV Tokyo June 20 (Fri) 18:30 28 min. 5.9  

HappinessCharge PreCure! TV Asahi June 22 (Sun) 08:30 30 min. 5.8  

Pokémon XY TV Tokyo June 19 (Thurs) 19:00 30 min. 4.7  

The File of Young Kindaichi Returns NTV June 21 (Sat) 17:30 30 min. 4.7

--------

One Piece did better than usual. During Punk Hazard and Fishman Island, it was usually stuck in fifth place. It seems Dressrosa is starting to win over more people than usual.

As for Toonami ratings, One Piece did lower than average in it's target demographic, but it seemed to be a slow week probably because of World Cup fatigue.

General Household:

1:30am One Piece 579,000 0.4

Adults 18-49

1:30a 320,000

Chapter 752: 

"Palm"

Cover Story:

011.png

Summary:

Doflamingo's ambush for Luffy and Law is cut short when he is skewered by Abdullah and Jeet only to be exposed as another string clone. The two captains then learn how Kelly Funk betrayed them only to be betrayed by Doflamingo in return. Luffy then decides to make his own shortcut by punching a hole in the roof and carrying Law while leaving Ucy with the two bounty hunters.
At the plateau, Bartolomeo, Robin and Rebecca are taking an unorthodox method of traveling to the palace hills flower field by "jumping" through the use of the beetles provided by Leo.

At the SMILE Factory, the dwarves can help Franky in opening the doors but first he has to deal with Senor Pink. Zoro is still fighting Pica and Sabo is locked in a struggle with Issho. Luffy catches up with Cavendish who wants to share a plan with Luffy. Doflamingo, still at the top of the palace, talks with his top officers reminiscing when they first met Law when he was a child, a child who wanted to join his crew to destroy everything in sight because he has no reason to live.

My thoughts:

This is a pretty good chapter, involving some surprisingly tender moments from Doflamingo. You really feel the man is hurt by Law's betrayal. I actually am interested in seeing how Law's flashback goes now, because it looks like he actually had a connection with Doflamingo at one point in time before Corazon changed him. 

Aside from the Doflamingo moment, it's just more build up; and chaotic build up at that, with a million different things happening at once as the story progresses. However, you have to really appreciate where Oda is taking this story. Instead of doing a predictable, "let's have the straw hats all fight someone on Doflamingo's crew one after the other, like in Alabasta and Enies Lobby. Aside from that, not much else to say about this chapter.

Final Thoughts:

Guh-reat!

Oda just had an interview with the China times, here is a rough translation of the interview from One Piece Podcast:

BYCA00_P_01_02.jpg

BYCA00_P_01_04.jpg

During Eiichirô Oda’s secret trip to Taiwan for the opening of the third Official One Piece Exhibit, the people at China Timeswere granted some time to interview the manga artist that is behind the series that is popular around the world in over 40 countries: One Piece.

During the interview, Oda said that when he first started writing One Piece, he had anticipated it take only about 5 years, and he never expected it to go on for more than 17 years. Apparently, because of new characters in One Piece keep appearing — and because of the unending amount of sudden inspiration that Oda constantly experiences – it has gone on for much longer than he first anticipated. “I think I should be able to continue to draw One Piece for another 10 years!” Furthermore, the article adds that according to Oda, not all the members of the pirate crew have assembled just yet. “There’s still the possibility for more members to appear one after the other!”

When asked about the meaning behind the title “One Piece” and whether or not it has anything to do with the homonym “Won Peace” or the end of the series (meaning Luffy would bring about “World Peace”), Oda reportedly smiled and explained that the title’s meaning is indeed related to the end of the series so it would be senseless if he were to explain it now.

About the idea behind the “Devil Fruits” that appear in the series, Oda says he was influenced a lot as a kid by the series Doraemon and thus that most of his inspiration comes from his everyday life.

There are inspirations from his daily life everywhere. For example, because Oda often works alone all night in order to make his deadlines, he says that he would love to have the same ability as Nico Robin. If he were in possession of the “Flower Flower Devil Fruit” he would be able to use multiple hands at once and finish his work faster.

As for Luffy’s “Gum Gum Devil Fruit”, the idea came from Oda’s own laziness: he often wishes his hands could stretch out very far — like rubber — so he’d be able to get stuff without leaving his chair when he’s busy working on something.

The powers used by female characters in the series, come from what ordinary women would like. Alvida’s “Slip Slip Devil Fruit” gives her body the power to be slippery giving her a perfect skin. As for Miss Valentine’s “Kilo Kilo Devil Fruit”, it gives her the ability to change her body weight at will going from a normal bodyweight to becoming light as a feather making it even possible for her to fly.

Oda also stated that he usually sleeps 4 hours a day, from 8am to noon, which according to him is enough.

Source: China Times

Disclaimer: The author of this post is not completely fluent in Chinese, so there may be some discrepancies in details.

Edit: According to Japanese One Piece fansite LOGPIECE, the quote in BOLD translates as “There’s going to be more (crewmates) appearing successively!”(「まだ続々と現れますよ!」) which greatly changes the degree with which we can expect new crew mates to join the Straw Hat, but as with any translation, it’s all a matter of nuance. One thing is certain, the chance of new people joining is not inexistant at all!

Chinese News report of the recent event in Taiwan called, "One Piece Ten"

On June 30, the One Piece Exhibition ver. Taiwan – One Piece Ten unofficially opened its doors for press and other special guests in order to kick off the official opening that will open the following day, July 1.

During the opening ceremony, Shûeisha’s president Marue Horiuchi, Tôei Animation representative Katsuhiro Takagi, Japanese ad agency ADK’s CEO Shin’ichi Ueno, Taiwanese publishing company “Tong Li Publishing” Chairman “Wàn Nán Fàng” and more official representatives from Taiwanese and Japanese companies involved with the One Piece franchise were in attendance.

At the end of the show, they put on Log Poses specially made for this event that would glow in the dark and point towards the exhibition’s sign, indicating that the next part of the adventure towards finding the One Piece would lie somewhere in Taiwan (not really though, for all you fans already packing your bags).

According to the article, Shueisha President Horiuchi mentioned that the incredibly successful past two One Piece exhibitions held in Tôkyô and Ôsaka had drawn in over 800,000 visitors, among which were quite a few very enthusiastic Taiwanese One Piece fans. Because of that, and perhaps also because of Shônen Jump receiving a simultaneous release in Taiwan, the One Piece exhibition came to Taiwan.

1404156366.jpg

So, anime expo is this week, and a huge One Piece panel is being held. Two of the features of the panel are the trailers to Film Z and Season 6, and they will be on Funimation's channel next week. The suspense is killing me here!

The only thing that could get me hyped is if Funimation stopped being big ol' meanies and give murica the earlier One Piece movies.

I guess Film Z will do though.

So, we've got a list of the actors for film Z. It's a shame we have no footage to show at the moment, but here's news on Film Z.

The Anime Expo 2014′s official “Shonen Jump One Piece” panel revealed information about the upcoming “One Piece Film: Z” Funimation English dub coming out Sept. 30, including casting and more.

The panel cast, consisting of guests such as Shûeisha’s Rights Department Deputy Manager (International Publishing Division) and former japanese Weekly Shônen Jump chief editor Hisashi Sasaki, English Shonen Jump One Piece editor Alexis Kirsch, official English One Piece translator and frequent special guest to the “Unofficial One Piece Podcast,” Stephen Paul as well as many other industry representatives from Tôei, Funimation etc.

Besides the English voice actors such as Colleen Clinkenbeard (Luffy) and Christopher Sabat (Roronoa Zoro) reprising their usual roles as the Straw Hat members, the cast that would portray villains Z and Ain were will be portrayed by veteran voice actors Matthew Mercer and Lauren Landa, respectively.

Full Cast list:

Lauren Landa- Ain

Matthew Mercer- Bins
Jeremy Schwartz- Z

Ray Hurd- Kizaru

Andrew Love- Sakazuki "Akainu"

Mark Fickbert- Mobston

Juli Erickson- Tsuru

Tia Ballard- Young Z

Angela Chase- Purin

Darryl Roberds- Kibin

Ok, here's an incoming leak from Anime Expo. We have our first look at the next Voyage cover and collection cover, as well as a slight look at the newest trailer.

BrvUVc4IUAAhB6P.jpg

BrvUMWZIEAAaSar.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Niceeee another collection. Makes collecting One Piece much more space effective, not that I started yet. I was worried we wouldn't see one again until like 2015.

And Brook actually sounds pretty good. The dub has disappointed me with pretty much every Straw Hat, but Brook sounds great.

substillsuperior