Awoo.

Wow that waterpark sounds fun. Wish there was a way to experience it without... yknow going to japan.

As of that preview Charmy just posted, I am just 38 episodes away from finally catching up to the anime. Early 2013 me would be proud

Take at least a month break after Punk hazard, because some huge episodes are coming into the forefront.

Because there are arena fights happening during this time that are best watching as a whole, and you are probably going to want to skip the filler episodes after Punk Hazard.

Because there are arena fights happening during this time that are best watching as a whole, and you are probably going to skip the filler episodes after Punk Hazard.

Oh alrighty then. I wasn't looking forward to another 30 episode marathon anyway.

Is this where Usopp becomes God or something

That's after the arena fights. You've got a lot of episodes to go before that comes up. 

In other news: In celebration of the show's 15th anniversary, a lot of the actors who worked on the show thanked all the fans. This is the second set of news by them:

https://one-piece.com/special/15th/comment

Click the link to see the actual autographs; the site is having trouble loading these.

Toshio Furukawa, voice of Ace

Congratulations on 15 years of One Piece.

To all the fans. Thank you for loving One Piece ♡

Hiroshi Kamiya, voice of Trafalgar Law

Congratulations on 15 years.
The One Piece anime is my history as a voice actor!
Pirate A => Trafalgar Law

Yasuhiro Takato, voice of Beppo and Buffalo

Congratulations on 15 years.
I’m really grateful that you let me do all sorts of characters.
Hope I can count on your support from now as well.

Mahito Ōba, voice of Smoker and the Narrator

What! 15 Years!?
How commendable *cough cough*
On to 20 *cough cough*
Smoker

Hideyuki Tanaka, voice of Donquixote Doflamingo

Congratulations! 15 years!
Doflamingo
Now’s my time to shine!!

Yukana, voice of Shirahoshi

Fif-fifteen years!! Co-co-congratulations!
Here’s to a lot more exciting and nervous moments~

Shigeru Chiba, voice of Buggy

Congratulations on 15 years of One Piece!!

Buggy!!
I’ll continue running wild all over the place from now as well!

Hirohiko Kakegawa, voice of Dracule Mihawk

Congratulations! 15 years of One Piece!!
You, what do you have your eyes set on! What do you wish for!
Eagle Eye
Dracule Mihawk

Nobuyuki Hiyama, voice of Mr. 3 and Galdino

Congratulations!! 15 years of One Piece!!

To think I’d have so many appearances!
Those were some nice mistakes made there!!
No really though… (Laughs)

Tomokazu Seki, voice of Rob Lucci

Congratulations on 15 years of One Piece!

“If you don’t want to die, then go on for another 15 years!”
“Coo”

http://onepiecepodcast.com/2014/06/17/one-piece-film-z-english-dub-release-date-and-more/

FUNimation’s website has been updated with information surrounding the upcoming One Piece Film: Z English Dub release.

The latest One Piece movie will be available for purchase on September 30, 2014, as originally reported by our podcast. The Blu-ray/DVD will include the FUNimation English dub and the original Japanese version with subtitles.

The set will contain the 108 minute long movie as well as some special features such as the Patrick Seitz Panel from Sakura-con 2014, the U.S. Trailer and more. The official retail store price is $34.98 but may vary depending on the (online) store you purchase it from. Be sure to compare both the Japanese and American Box art (remember: there were several versions of the Japanese version)!

Z-Usa.jpg

On June 18, the Japanese gaming news site Famitsû revealed the ranking for video games sold in Japan over the period of June 9 to 15.

Unlike the Tsutaya article that likely only estimated a ranking based on their own website’s results, Famitsû estimates the copies sold over all of Japan. As a result, the Tsutaya ranking and Famitsû ranking are slightly different.

http://onepiecepodcast.com/2014/06/18/one-piece-unlimited-world-red-overall-sales-for-june-9-15/

Edit: Since images work f-all, here's a list. You can find the numbers on the website.

1. Mario Kart 8

2. Persona Q

3.Specter Watch

4.Trajectory Evolution

5.World Red- PS3

6.World Soccer something

7. Thief - PS4

8. World Red - Vita

-

16. World Red- Wii U

Man that is more pathetic than usual for Wii U; PS3 I understand, but Vita?

The official One Piece website and official Straw Hat (Mugiwara) store announced that there will be not one, but TWO new One Piece stores opening for a limited time only in Nagoyaand “One Piece” creator Eiichiro Oda’s home town of Kumamoto, Japan.

These two new temporary Straw Hat store branches will be the third and fourth official One Piece stores (after the first one in Tôkyô and the second one that opened in Ôsaka for a limited period earlier this year in Japan), but will only be open this summer during the period of July 28 to Aug. 10 in Nagoya and from Aug. 9 to Aug. 20 in Kumamoto. The Nagoya Store will be located on the”Tôkyû Hands” Store’s 10th floor reserved for special events, and the Kumamoto Store will be located in the Prefectural Department store’s 8th floor.

So for you One Piece fans out there planning on visiting these two cities this summer, be sure to check out the stores and to send us pictures!

DSC_7361.jpg

http://onepiecepodcast.com/2014/06/18/one-piece-unlimited-world-red-overall-sales-for-june-9-15/

Edit: Since images work f-all, here's a list. You can find the numbers on the website.

1. Mario Kart 8

2. Persona Q

3.Specter Watch

4.Trajectory Evolution

5.World Red- PS3

6.World Soccer something

7. Thief - PS4

8. World Red - Vita

-

16. World Red- Wii U

Man that is more pathetic than usual for Wii U; PS3 I understand, but Vita?

Japan prefers handhelds.

Episode 649 ''The Fierce Battle's Conclusion! Lucy vs. Qinjiao!''
Chapters Covered: 719
New Characters: None
Episode Director: Yoshihiro Ueda (**)
Animation Director: Masahiro Kitazaki (***)

Watch It: www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece

tumblr_n77139QXe11siw0qwo1_500.gif

Summary: 

Luffy's battle with Chinjao rages forward as they both use Busoshoku Haki in the ongoing fight. During the match, Chinjao explains and then occurs a flashback when his head was functioning like a powerful drill. After some time, he lost a duel against Garp and had his drill suppressed in his head, which eventually was the main factor towards losing his fame, money and power.

After the flashback, Luffy and Chinjao prepares for their final showdown. At the ending, Luffy delivers a punch imbued with Busoshoku Haki towards Chinjao's head, bringing back its drill-shape. Chinjao falls unconscious and breaks the platform into two as a result of landing headfirst on it. Lucy is declared as the winner of Block C.

My thoughts:

Wow. Simply wow. I understand now why everyone in Arlong Park hated this episode. The budget died, and they got a terrible combination of directors. This felt like a Dragon Ball Z episode than a One Piece episode and they even shared the sound effects, but I don't want that in my One Piece unless there is going to be an actual budget behind it. 

The bad thing about this episode is that, it's not like there were huge pacing problems. The characters had a lot of action, but the problems all stem from just terrible usage of the material. Nothing was stretched out; it was just like the manga. That's the problem! It was too much like the manga!

In the manga the flashback happened just as abruptly, and had the same fast pacing as well. In anime, that doesn't work! I wanted them to stretch out the flashback so as to actually give it substance, but it just comes and goes and looks stupid at that. Also, Chinjao's actor is terrible in the flashback. I may not understand the nuances of Japanese, but even I hated his performance. (I hope the dub improves it.)

The fight is disappointing because the animation is so weak too; nothing has the impact any of the other fighting episodes had. Everything felt like a light tap, and there was a heavy usage of reused animation that just screams cheap.

My suggestion to you is to watch this and all of Block C in a marathon, because I would've hated this episode more if I just watched it once a week.

Final Verdict:

TERRIBAD!

I started taking a break from One Piece about a year ago because the pacing of watching it weekly was kinda agonizing and I missed marathoning it, so over the last week I've finally finished the Punk Hazard arc, which overall I really enjoyed and it's restored my faith in the series a little after how painfully boring I thought Fishman was.

I've heard the Dressrosa arc is pretty dang good so I'm looking forward to it (currently on the li'l filler arc which I guess I'll watch, if only to kill time so that I can marathon more Dressrosa episodes). I almost don't wanna get caught up again, marathoning episodes is so much more fun than watching them one week at a time 8(

I started taking a break from One Piece about a year ago because the pacing of watching it weekly was kinda agonizing and I missed marathoning it, so over the last week I've finally finished the Punk Hazard arc, which overall I really enjoyed and it's restored my faith in the series a little after how painfully boring I thought Fishman was.

I've heard the Dressrosa arc is pretty dang good so I'm looking forward to it (currently on the li'l filler arc which I guess I'll watch, if only to kill time so that I can marathon more Dressrosa episodes). I almost don't wanna get caught up again, marathoning episodes is so much more fun than watching them one week at a time 8(

Here is my advice. Watch an episode every two weeks. The pacing is that good that you can stomach it. Waffle's got the right idea. Dressrosa has been that worthy of an arc. While I have been really nasty about Episode 649, it really has been a great arc.

Here is my advice. Watch an episode every two weeks. The pacing is that good that you can stomach it. Waffle's got the right idea. Dressrosa has been that worthy of an arc. While I have been really nasty about Episode 649, it really has been a great arc.

The pacing is that good? Back in Punk Hazard and especially during Fishman the pacing was so awful that I was getting deathly bored watching it weekly. I put up with Fishman for most of it but while Punk Hazard was better it was still offputting at times, which is the main reason I dropped it for a year.

If the pacing is good though maybe I'll be satisfied enough by each episode for the wait to be worth it.

The pacing is that good? Back in Punk Hazard and especially during Fishman the pacing was so awful that I was getting deathly bored watching it weekly. I put up with Fishman for most of it but while Punk Hazard was better it was still offputting at times, which is the main reason I dropped it for a year.

If the pacing is good though maybe I'll be satisfied enough by each episode for the wait to be worth it.

It's mostly due to good luck and Dressrosa having that many surprises to pull. Oda is writing this arc from multiple character perspectives, and that leaves a lot of room for good expansion that isn't just, * anime gasp* + *stare for about a minute*. Not to mention, this arc has a huge amount of surprises that basically are the culmination of new mysteries coming up and many being solved. 

You'll be pleasantly surprised.

• Thumbs Up 1

Chapter 750 : 

"The State of the War"

Cover:

Chapter_750.png

My thoughts:

There was a lot of jumping around between characters and a lot of fun action though. Seeing Sabo fight the marines definitely is going to be a fun event, and it's good that we are finally going to see the DonQuixote family in action against the Colosseum fighters. It's just a whole bunch of chaos, which I really like as it really stands out from the standard Oda, "this crew member being paired with this bad guy."

After waiting two weeks though, I definitely felt like this chapter could have used a little more to it. The problem with this multiple character format is that you miss a lot of details as everything is just being sort of flying by, but I guess it's just the anime's job to make these scenes longer. 

Not much to say really, it's just a good chapter, but not a whole lot happens.

Final Verdict:

Guh-reat!

Episode 650 ''Luffy and the Fated Gladiator Rebecca''
Chapters Covered: 720
Episode Director: Masahiro Hosoda (***)
Animation Director: Masahiro Shimanuki (**)
Watch It: www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece

tumblr_n7k4i1CV7v1sba8jqo1_500.gif

Summary:

As Luffy leaves the ring after winning Block C of the tournament, he is attacked by Cavendish. Bartolomeo reveals his connection to Luffy, and Chinjao attemtps to thank Luffy for restoring his head. Luffy escapes and is found by Rebecca, who buys him food. As they hide, Luffy overhears Jesus Burgess talking to his captain, Blackbeard, and tells the Emperor that he will not let him have Ace's devil fruit. As Rebecca and Luffy talk, she reveals some of her past.

My thoughts:

Now this is a good episode! This is exactly what I mean when I say that the anime should expand on what the chapters give it. We get some well timed gags and some really fantastic usage of filler to space out things. 

It was good to see good ol' Barty come out of his shell and show himself to the audience. He never fails to make me crack up when I see him go nuts about Luffy. The fight between Luffy and Cabbage was pretty funny too because of the wording of a lot of it. 

It was also sad to see Luffy confront Blackbeard, even through the transponder snail. The dick has the gall to make fun of Ace in front of Luffy, but it's cool to see that Blackbeard has also changed for the timeskip what with the beard and all.

The animation was surprisingly not that bad, especially at the end of the episode when we get that shot of Rebecca. Her boobs actually looked realistically large at one point, and for this show that is one hell of a feat. The music was well chosen for that final moment to give you a sense of pity about her though. Her actress was well chosen.

Final Verdict:

Guh-reat!

Here's something that came about a few days ago. Here's the music video to the new Opening, "Wake Up"

The music video will be released together with the upcoming CD and DVD bundled single on sale July 2 together with a making of video, so for those “One Piece” fans that have been bitten by the AAA bug, be sure to get your hands on that “One Piece” version of the single!

The official AAA website have also revealed the designs for their Limited Edition Concert Music Cards. The designs are based on the wanted posters of the “One Piece” universe with every member being worth roughly 500 beli — roughly 100 times the worth of some of the One Piece editors, according to the Hoko x Tate Episode that One Piece Podcast’s own Greg Werner was featured in.

aaa_mc%20(1).jpg

For you Europeans:

The official One Piece website announced that the anime, cosplay and manga-centered French convention Japan Expo will be hosting a One Piece booth again this year.

Last year’s One Piece booth was a popular attraction, dressed up in a Fishman Island theme to celebrate the anime’s tenth year in France.

The booth had goods sold at the Cri★min shop, free Arlong “Ot’s saw delicious” (sic) bags, lunch boxes and even hosted events such as prizes for booth visitors and activities creating enormous soap bubbles, which gathered a lot of attention.

In case any of our listeners are able to go to Paris between July 2 to 6 at the Paris-Nord Villepinte Exhibition Center, be sure to send us some pictures!

http://onepiecepodcast.com/2014/06/22/one-piece-booth-japan-expo-2014-paris/

This is Oda's translated comments from this week's shonen jump. Wow; I respect this man so much. 

6UsVrvt.png

I still really think he needs to stop overworking himself ^^; it's admirable, but if One Piece's quality is affected because he keeps working himself to hospitalisation, he's just gonna keep blaming himself and working himself sick even more. Just hope he takes care of himself, even though I know he probably won't.

I still really think he needs to stop overworking himself ^^; it's admirable, but if One Piece's quality is affected because he keeps working himself to hospitalisation, he's just gonna keep blaming himself and working himself sick even more. Just hope he takes care of himself, even though I know he probably won't.

Yeah I know. He should take a regular break every now and then, this tonsillitis is because of his smoking habits, mostly induced by the stress of overworking. Oda is a heavy chain smoker, and that probably isn't helping him at all.

So apparently this filler arc I'm about to get into is based on a PS1 game? I don't think I've run into one of those before.

...wait, didn't this part of the series air in, like, 2005? As in a year before the PS3 came out? Must've been one hell of a game.

So apparently this filler arc I'm about to get into is based on a PS1 game? I don't think I've run into one of those before.

...wait, didn't this part of the series air in, like, 2005? As in a year before the PS3 came out? Must've been one hell of a game.

I have actually seen the beginning of the game and this story is only loosely based on it. It takes the core concept, but loses many of the plot details which the game had. For starters, in this filler, Robin is the only one who keeps her memories. In the game, everyone loses it, to the point where they forget their names. 

If you can understand a bit of Japanese, here's a link to a video of the game.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17621804