Awoo.

Play Nintendo - Announcing Nintendo @ E3 2014

Carbo

What's this Nintendo Minute thing?

I think it is going to be that meeting dedicated to Smash Bros. and that unannounced 3DS game.

Oh, OK. Thanks.

I'll watch based on the unannounced game. I don't need to see Smash Bros'. I know how it plays and in the off chance of a character reveal I'll know a few minutes later.

My understanding is that the presentations on Smash Bros. and the unannounced 3DS game are press-only and won't be streamed.

The Nintendo World store is going to have a live showing of the digital event. For those of you who live in New York and want a live reaction, that sounds cool.

Can anyone tell what that game is in the front? I can read Thunder, but not the first word. Doesn't actually look English or like it's even Roman letters.

Might as well mention that the Nintendo Minute is actually just an abridged recap of the E3 conference.

• Thumbs Up 1

Can anyone tell what that game is in the front? I can read Thunder, but not the first word. Doesn't actually look English or like it's even Roman letters.

Looks like War Thunder.

• Thumbs Up 2

So apparently Satoru Iwata won't be able to attend E3 due to health problems;

http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/5/5782832/nintendo-president-satoru-iwata-skipping-e3

He's still working at Nintendo HQ, just won't make it to E3 next week as he was told not to by his physician. Shame, hope it's nothing serious like Sakurai's arm problem.

It's probably stress related. If there's anything I know about Japanese businessmen, they work themselves to death, especially when they are under high pressure to do so. With the problems of the Wii U, I'm sure Iwata's health has taken a toll for all the mishaps. His successor's death probably isn't helping the situation much either. 

• Thumbs Up 8

It's probably stress related. If there's anything I know about Japanese businessmen, they work themselves to death, especially when they are under high pressure to do so. With the problems of the Wii U, I'm sure Iwata's health has taken a toll for all the mishaps. His successor's death probably isn't helping the situation much either. 

Oh shit that's true. O_O God I hope he's alright and not overdoing it at the office...

Oh shit that's true. O_O God I hope he's alright and not overdoing it at the office...

Honestly, there's little hoping. If I could fancy a guess, he's working hours on end with his staff trying to make sure they can plan their steps for the future, while dodging their investors' incessant complaints and questions. He's probably overseeing many deals on what he can do to make the Wii U profitable, and working on overlooking the new NFC, and QoL creation. And then there's the new building, and the fact he probably has to fly between American and Japan just to overlook production. Then there's all the money he's spent and managing that with his staff. Along with the pay cut. The best thing I can really hope for is that he hasn't collapsed at any point. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Meanwhile, people are calling Iwata a "coward" and people on IGN have even wished death upon Iwata.

Hmmm, I wonder if Nintendo might announce a western release of Fatal Frame, that would shake things up a bit

for the full shakedown on the fatal frame sequel, I posted it over here

How amazingly... dull looking. 

I thought it was going to at least look like a treehouse or something other than 'white studio box.'

Edit: Wait, I remember watching this old VHS in which they go into Nintendos 'tree house' and it looks so much more interesting than that.

I was expecting a massive indoor treehouse dammit! Like Bart Simpson's one.

Well that's kind of disappointing. :/

Ok, so this is a response I made on another site, as a counter to a reply about my thought that we are getting more IP collabs at E3, and I think I stated the argument well enough I want to throw it up on here as well, and I included the reply I was replying to

Again, Nintendo is already in the red. Making too many risks is a horrible decision. I'm aware Nintendo's been making bad decisions in the past already, but dipping too much into these investments when the WiiU's still in a bad spot (with Mario Kart 8 by itself helping that)...

You're basically saying here that these other partnerships (or some handful of games) will be enough to sell WiiU consoles. Unless they're huge names (i.e. Zelda, Smash, Mario Kart) I don't see anything close to what you're hoping for to happen.

No, I'm saying that Nintendo is going to do what it has been doing since the gamecube days, partner with third parties using their own IPs to get support. The fact is that they have been letting select third parties make them spin-offs to bolster their catalogue for years, but this generation is the first time they decided to make it open season rather than a handful of local Japanese companies. You want the biggest example? They have let Namco produce spinoffs for everything from Mario to DK, they made both Donkey Konga and Mario Baseball series, and even made StarFox Assualt. sure there haven't been too many others, but they have also co-developed series, like Sin & Punishment with treasure, and more recently the Wonderful 101 with Platinum

The fact is they know they need to fill their release catalog with solid mid levels game, and while they can't get much traditional support in competent levels, they have always done some partnering up to fill the gap. They may not be the big headliner titles, but they are the enjoyable mid level games that are fun and fill the gap inbetween the big titles, and in some cases can cause some major attraction to certain Fanbases, like the upcoming Hyrule Warriors, which is going to kill in Japan where the Musou games(Warriors) are Extremely popular, and do decently over here where there is a large Zelda fanbase and a mid sized Warriors one as well

The point of the partnerships aren't nessecarily to be system sellers, but to make the system more attractive, by providing more diverse titles at a faster rate than Nintendo alone could produce, and to help fill the gap left by the lack of convential third party titles

Thing is I expect one if not more collab titles announced, as we know they have a deal in the works with Namco, and I would not be surprised if Pokken Fighters does end up being a conventional fighting game spinoff produced by them, and perhaps another title as well. And its not unlikely that there is at least one other company that has a team that has always wanted to a spin-off for a classic Nintendo IP, heck that may be how we end up with a new F-zero, Star fox, or even Star Tropics game if said company manages to impress Nintendo

Like I said, I don't see these as system sellers by themselves, but as bait to help the true system sellers

I'd honestly prefer if Nintendo announced a new F-Zero.

di-TJD5.gif

If they could do this on the Gamecube, I'd be pretty hyped up for what they could do on the Wii U.

• Thumbs Up 7

F-Zero would be fantastic, but not right now please. MK8 just came out. Maybe next year?

I don't think Mario Kart scratched anybody's F-Zero itch. They're practically different genres. 

They might be, but two anti-gravity racers back to back aren't going to grab as much attention as a bit of variety would.