Awoo.

Play Nintendo - Announcing Nintendo @ E3 2014

Carbo

I've generally heard "Nintendo didn't even bother at E3" said more with a tone of "E3's so shit nowadays Nintendo's above it", but the locales I go to would generally be skewed that way I suppose.

Honestly Nintendo should just hire Mega 64 to do all of their marketing :U

So no press conference again? Shocked. Looking forward to the Best Buy thing though. 

• Thumbs Up 8

I'm blanking here. Honestly, can anyone tell me what Nintendo loses on not doing an actual conference? All the info is still presented to the public, and I imagine they'll still have a booth to present stuff to people that actually matter in the industry. Only people losing are the reporters and at this point, fuck the gaming press.

They don't lose anything people just love to see a live reaction

That video is just... glorious. I love it when Nintendo does stuff like this. It really shows they can have fun while still making effective advertising. Of course, now I dread the fact that I have finals during E3 more than ever. Damn you, Nintendo and your awesome promotions. But wait, why are people saying that there won't be a conference this year? Nintendo had the best conferences during E3, imo. 

• Thumbs Up 2

That video is just... glorious. I love it when Nintendo does stuff like this. It really shows they can have fun while still making effective advertising. Of course, now I dread the fact that I have finals during E3 more than ever. Damn you, Nintendo and your awesome promotions. But wait, why are people saying that there won't be a conference this year? Nintendo had the best conferences during E3, imo.

A press conference is when they have the press (IGN, GameStop, etc) sit down and watch them talk about their current plans and upcoming future.

A press conference is when they have the press (IGN, GameStop, etc) sit down and watch them talk about their current plans and upcoming future.

Ah wait, I meant presentation then. English can be confusing sometimes.

Mecha Reggie for Smash 4.

A man can dream.

Well, I guess I need to move closer to a best buy.

If only something like this were more convenient.

When you hire Mega64 to do your stuff, you know they got good stuff in store.

Really looking forward to this apparent load of "amazing reveals" coming up. I don't believe we've ever heard Nintendo explicitly say that about their upcoming E3 stuff before.. are they actually going to announce a barrage of games people want? Bringing up Nintendo Treehouse into this really gets me thinking so.

Also, SMASH AT BEST BUY HOLY FDSHJFAHFUAHEUHRUFDHUHRUHDUFHSUD

• Thumbs Up 1

Not like it matters to me. see that little keyword their, "participating"? that means its going to be at 20 best buys max around the nation. and most likely like last time I'll have to go san diego or los angeles in order to play both of which are real out of the way trips. no thanks not even smash 4 is worth a $30 train ticket + bus rides to get to the location its at.

As for this whole presentation, I'm sad that they won't do another stage show again last year just felt like such a disconnect, guess I'll still look forward to it but it won't be as imperative as the other events.

If they're going to be doing these widespread Best Buy demos, and make a big deal about reaching out to consumers...

Why not just put a demo on the eShop?

• Thumbs Up 8

Funny video.

But honestly, they really needed a conference this year to try and re-launch the console. They really should have taken notes from what Sony did back in 2007/8 was it? 

Random person: But wait! They can still do a video conference and get us all excited.

No they can show us a carefully edited together video with no mistakes at all. 

Even when stuff goes wrong or looks naff, we at least know what to expect with both the good and the bad thing. Carefully crafted videos do not give you as good an impression of content at all, and before someone says 'well Microsoft did that all the time with Kinect' Yeah they did... and look how it backfired on them. Same goes for Sony's demos.

But when they do live demos and it goes well, that's what gets my wallet out.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm fine with a digital event instead of a live event. I don't really care about the show, I just want to see the games. In the end we get the same, in one scenario the press is simply not sitting in the audience.

Funny video.

But honestly, they really needed a conference this year to try and re-launch the console. They really should have taken notes from what Sony did back in 2007/8 was it? 

Random person: But wait! They can still do a video conference and get us all excited.

No they can show us a carefully edited together video with no mistakes at all. 

Even when stuff goes wrong or looks naff, we at least know what to expect with both the good and the bad thing. Carefully crafted videos do not give you as good an impression of content at all, and before someone says 'well Microsoft did that all the time with Kinect' Yeah they did... and look how it backfired on them. Same goes for Sony's demos.

But when they do live demos and it goes well, that's what gets my wallet out.

They are doing live demos:

Nintendo Treehouse: Live @ E3
This year, Nintendo will offer fans a deeper look at Nintendo's biggest games of E3, with information directly from the source. The "Treehouse," the Product Development department at Nintendo of America, will provide in-depth game demos live and unscripted from Nintendo's booth. This new program will be live streamed during all hours of the E3 show. Fans can get settled in, open their browsers and experience the Nintendo games at E3 like never before.

Reading the Press Release is usually a good idea.

• Thumbs Up 1

It really depends on what the Digital Event is going to even be like. Sure, the cheering crowd and live act can make it all the more exciting, but if they end up just revealing a dogpile of games and new features and whatever this year then I don't mind it being a digital thing too much. It's the content that we're all there for anyways.

As long as they can treat it with as much care as an E3 presentation instead of your average Direct, I'm good. And since they didn't call it a Direct, I'm expecting it to be different.

• Thumbs Up 1

Reading the Press Release is usually a good idea.

Actually I did read it and it didn't exactly fill me with much hope since if they're showing stuff from the treehouse it's likely going to be first party stuff due to the nature of that place. 

Interesting approach. Still curious as to why they'd rather do a Direct than a live show, but I like the level of player involvement they're going for.

Also that Mega 64 video was almost too much for me.

If they're going to be doing these widespread Best Buy demos, and make a big deal about reaching out to consumers...

Because Nintendo knows that the Best Buys around here aren't going to participate and they hate me, specifically. 

Sorry guys, I don't know what I did either. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually I did read it and it didn't exactly fill me with much hope since if they're showing stuff from the treehouse it's likely going to be first party stuff due to the nature of that place. 

What does that have to do with your original point? You asked for live demos and they're doing them. Now you're talking about 3rd Party games.

Demos are unstable and often compiled days before release. Many of them can only run on devkits and run a risk of bricking consoles.

It's not as clean cut as it sounds. If a demo breaks at a demo station, a representative will be there to sort out the issues. If you get an unstable demo at home that breaks your console, the only one who gets anything out of it is Nintendo, and that's a fast track towards a lawsuit. Hardly an appealing compromise.

Carefully crafted videos do not give you as good an impression of content at all, and before someone says 'well Microsoft did that all the time with Kinect' Yeah they did... and look how it backfired on them.

Kinect has sold 24 million units. What about it, in terms of financial success, is a backfire?

• Thumbs Up 4

Video was great, though I hope they might have some sort of physical demos at stores in Europe too.  Even if one was nowhere near me, I'd appreciate the effort.

Anyway, eager to see new stuff as much as I usually am with regular ole Directs.  It feels like we're getting to the bottom of the pile of games that have been upcoming for the last year and a bit so it's gonna be exciting to hopefully get a bunch of new announcements to look forward to in one go.

Kinect has sold 24 million units. What about it, in terms of financial success, is a backfire?

Give me 500 million to market something I suspect I'll be able to flog it.

Also how is this the same thing? Kinect looked pretty good when it was originally announced, in fact the topic about it should still be on here and people were going on about how it looked really good. It was only the following E3 that the presentation looked naff, but people still had those memories of when they showed it and it looked really good along with the belief it was this amazing thing.

Nintendo doesn't have that at all, Brand confusion, belief of a lack of games and support, belief of a poor online network. It's crying out for a re-launch and E3 would have been a key place to do it,

Nintendo is in crisis right now with their console, a big conference/re-launch would have helped turn this around. This kind of setup isn't going to do that, they needed a huge stage show to do this which would have gotten news to both the gaming and non gaming media.

This setup just isn't going to appeal to people who are already invested or those who are heavily invested in gaming news. 

This is some exciting news, Too bad most of the best areas in my area was not participating last year and probably would be the same this year, I really want to try out the demos. Especially smash bros. 

Video was great, though I hope they might have some sort of physical demos at stores in Europe too.  Even if one was nowhere near me, I'd appreciate the effort.

Anyway, eager to see new stuff as much as I usually am with regular ole Directs.  It feels like we're getting to the bottom of the pile of games that have been upcoming for the last year and a bit so it's gonna be exciting to hopefully get a bunch of new announcements to look forward to in one go.

I don't see that happening as it's a North American thing, but even at Gamescom I don't see them doing it, sadly. I think it's a bit complicated, since we don't have one retailer across all regions, besides maybe Game Stop, but they usually have small stores). At least I've never seen Best Buy over here. We have Saturn, Media Markt and MediMax and I'm sure you in England have other things.

If I'm wrong about anything, gladly correct me, though.