Awoo.

Play Nintendo - Announcing Nintendo @ E3 2014

Carbo

Aye. It's very much standard Nintendo, and is pretty niche in the big scope to boot. If this is the biggest news of the event for Nintendo, chalk it up as a disappointment. But that's jumping the gun for now.

The traditional Star Fox people ask for from Nintendo is not worth a whole 60 dollar game. It is not that big of a title and the length can never match it. A game like SF64 cannot be sold at full retail price anymore.

To be fair, though, it's going to have a different impact on different people. Those who've wanted a proper _________ entry are obviously going to treat this as a huge bomb, while those who are not really into said series are going to not care as much and feel disappointed. Such as when Super Mario 3D World was unveiled, it wasn't necessarily met with universal praise and hype until much later. But for some of us, it was an instant dream come true.

So it's a bit more subjective than that, I'd say.

I beg to differ. While this will undoubtedly please the crowd who have been wanting this since forever, I don't think it's really going to have a big impact in itself. SM3DW is a Mario game. It was obviously going to be a huge bit. But this is only going to really do it for existing fans, ones who probably already own the system. So it's good, but I very much doubt that it will be good enough. It's not going to be a hook.

To be fair, though, it's going to have a different impact on different people. Those who've wanted a proper _________ entry are obviously going to treat this as a huge bomb, while those who are not really into said series are going to not care as much and feel disappointed. Such as when Super Mario 3D World was unveiled, it wasn't necessarily met with universal praise and hype until much later. But for some of us, it was an instant dream come true.

So it's a bit more subjective than that, I'd say.

I'm a fan, and from what I can see I'm disappointed. It looks like a genuine asset copypaste of a game I played 17 years ago.

Honestly, after reading the interview looks like these are still in development, so while they are great for the gamepad, we are yet to see the big hitters coming out sooner, so there are still some massive surprises in store

Well, to each their own I suppose. I guess I understand that it won't have as big of a hook as Mario, but this is something a lot of people are still going to be very excited for. 

Man, way to kill the hype. :P

But Miyamoto and his team have added a new vehicle mode, one that’s designed to exemplify the new motion control scheme: It lets up to two players pilot a helicopter-like craft, one player controlling the helicopter itself, the other controlling a tiny robot you can drop from a tether to roll around a limited area, either snatching up booty or blasting enemies. Leave the robot hanging as you fly around the battlefield and it becomes a kind of dangling, swingable cannon.

That sounds cool okay

Aye. It's very much standard Nintendo, and is pretty niche in the big scope to boot. If this is the biggest news of the event for Nintendo, chalk it up as a disappointment. But that's jumping the gun for now.

Maybe not for people like you and me who aren't really into the franchise (I only just started playing one of the games and another I've played on and off for years), but for other people who have been BEGGING for years this is a huge thing. It's a niche series with a big following.

What you think a Metroid surprise would have been better? Even that game isn't as big a seller as most think, especially in Japan.

• Thumbs Up 1

Really, for this particular IP, a smaller-scale game more in the vein of a indie title makes a lot of sense. It's not a franchise that would really sell with a AAA price tag.

Who cares if it's not overly flashy? An episodic series that's based around expansions to SF64's gameplay? I'm totally down for that, and having it as a downloadable episodic series is probably for the best.

• Thumbs Up 1

Jesus fucking Christ, leave it to SSMB to take all the fun out of a big surprise.

(I say facetiously)

(half facetiously)

• Thumbs Up 4

Maybe not for people like you and me who aren't really into the franchise (I only just started playing one of the games and another I've played on and off for years), but for other people who have been BEGGING for years this is a huge thing. It's a niche series with a big following.

What you think a Metroid surprise would have been better? Even that game isn't as big a seller as most people think, especially in Japan.

I didn't say that or anything of the sort. And as it happens, I don't really have an opinion on whether or not Metroid would have been a better surprise. All I'm saying is that while this undoubtedly very cool, it's ultimately not going to be a system seller because it's appeal will mostly go to people who are already interested in or have the system already.

Bringing back some old IPs is never a bad thing, especially with a history as rich as Nintendo's. But I believe completely new material is what they need. I'm looking at it from a very different perspective to you guys.

To be fair, the same leak also shows off two entirely new and different games as well. Sure, they're obviously small, experimental titles, but it's something.

I didn't say that or anything of the sort. And as it happens, I don't really have an opinion on whether or not Metroid would have been a better surprise. All I'm saying is that while this undoubtedly very cool, it's ultimately not going to be a system seller because it's appeal will mostly go to people who are already interested in or have the system already.

Bringing back some old IPs is never a bad thing, especially with a history as rich as Nintendo's. But I believe completely new material is what they need. I'm looking at it from a very different perspective to you guys.

Ahh sorry, I was using Metroid as an example. ^^; Because I know how there's a looot of fans who are still waiting for a new Metroid and think that it's one game that will sell Wii U consoles everywhere. Sure it may do fairly well in the west (especially if it's highly acclaimed!) but forget about Japan cos they've never been into the Metroid series!

I do agree though that this can't be the only surprise announcement of their stream/Direct. There must be more, including some new IP's and exclusives. Let's hope so anyway, because just this surprise announcement is certainly not enough!

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm hearing that the presentation is 47 minutes long.

Haven't got a source for it as such, just what I'm seeing being thrown around on the interwebs.

EDIT: Ninja'd :P well, that's a source as good as any! 

It's quite possible this might not even show in the Digital Event, but who knows, information on whether Miyamoto's current small projects will be on the stream or not is somewhat vague.

Edit: Also, Nintendo have put more than a few original IPs over the past couple gens. But they're all ignored because they're not AAA.

The Event has been confirmed to be approximately 47 minutes long. 

That's... short. Ouch. I would have expected it to be a full hour at the least.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's... short. Ouch. I would have expected it to be a full hour at the least.

It's pretty much the same length as it was last year, and they still managed to fit a fair bit in.

Considering the Nintendo Minute directly following the Digital Event is going to have hands-on previews and stuff, I expect the 47 minute presentation to just be a whirlwind tour of trailers, release dates, and brief bits of info. They won't go massively in-depth on anything until afterwards.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's pretty much the same length as it was last year, and they still managed to fit a fair bit in.

Considering the Nintendo Minute directly following the Digital Event is going to have hands-on previews and stuff, I expect the 47 minute presentation to just be a whirlwind tour of trailers, release dates, and brief bits of info. They won't go massively in-depth on anything until afterwards.

Pretty much this. We're very likely getting a compact, tightly-cut presentation - no filler nonsense.

Pretty much this. We're very likely getting a compact, tightly-cut presentation - no filler nonsense.

In which case, I can totally deal. I do miss the big shows though. They have a sense of grandure that these digital events can't hope to match.

Because I know how there's a looot of fans who are still waiting for a new Metroid and think that it's one game that will sell Wii U consoles everywhere. 

And that's probably where the schism in thought lies because I think that's very naive thinking. 

They're going to have more in-depth looks at the games in the Nintendo Treehouse segments. The Digital Event is probably just for trailers and stuff to cover everything in a reasonable amount of time, leaving people to watch whatever games they care about in more detail afterwards.

So. Class is done. Using one of the college computers. Six minutes to go!

Soon. *vibrates so much that they evaporate into molecules*

The music selection Nintendo chose for their pre-show waiting screen is getting me totally pumped. Eee!